Boston Duck Tour/Taxis?

scgirlatheart

We'd really like to do the Boston Duck tour in August. My parents took this tour through RCI and they were disappointed that the time in the water was only about 30 minutes. The other part of the tour takes place on a large bus which they said had trouble navigating the streets of Boston. So, we're thinking about signing up for the Duck tour directly through their website instead of going through the cruiseline. The time in the water is longer, plus you actually navigate the streets in the Duck. Wondering if anybody knows if taxis are readily available from the pier where the cruise ship will be docked, and approximately how much a taxi would cost from the pier to Faneuil where we can board the Duck? Thanks so much!

I've been on the regular duck tour and the time in the water was really only about 30 minutes. The rest was driving around Boston in the duck boat itself. Is it possible that your parents went in a large tour bus to and from the Black Falcon Terminal? That might explain the time spent in a large bus navigating the small streets of Boston.

As far as I am aware the duck tours do not leave from Faneuil Hall - they leave from the Museum of Science or the Prudential. Both are about the same distance from the Black Falcon pier. You should pick your departure point based on where you want to end up.

I see that Royal Caribbean is charging $72 for the tour. For you the duck tour tickets would be $33.50/pp. The cab fare would be about $20.

The Hyatt is about the same distance from the Museum of Science and Prudential. It depends on where you want to end up after the tour. The Pru is in Back Bay near Copley, which has the indoor malls at Copley Place and the Prudential. The Museum of Science is nearer to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market.

If you are at the Hyatt, you should consider taking the T. The Park Street station is about 3 blocks away (Downtown Crossing is right there in case it's raining). The Lechmere train will take you to Science Park (Museum of Science). The Heath St. Train (E trolley) will take you to Prudential.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Boston this past September and took the Duck Tour. The time spent on the water was approx 30 minutes. We booked online (they charge a convenience fee for this service) and had the option of departing from the Prudential Centre or the Museum of Science.

I have mixed feelings on the Duck Tour. I found the tour to be very expensive for what it offered and I also found it to be very unorganized (at least at the Museum of Science location). When we arrived to catch the tour we told one of the staff members that we had already booked online and showed them the confirmation. We were told we needed to go inside the museum to pick up our tickets - after waiting in a line for over 15 minutes we were told that we didn't need tickets as the confirmation we printed online acts as one. The guy at the ticket desk had to take us out a back entrance as the duck was set to leave in 5 minutes. At this point the only two seats available on the duck were not together so my husband and I couldn't sit together. I realize that this doesn't happen to everyone but the experience certainly didn't leave me with a great first impression.

I found the tour itself to be okay. It does allow you to see the main sites but at $35 a person I think the price is steep for what it offers. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the trolley tour - it's slightly cheaper, covers more area (the duck tour doesn't go to Fenway Park which disappointed by husband) and allows you to hop on and off at various sites.

i grew up in Boston and did the duck tour as few years ago. it was great and i felt gave a very good overview of my city. I left from the Pru and got my tickets there no problem. much easier to walk to the Pru walk you have to take the "T" to the Science museum.

Archived