Best Credit Card to Earn Airline Miles?

BroncosFan2010

This is a really interesting thread. I've recently been snooping around for a second credit card and I never would've thought to get a Starwood CC and use it for miles instead of hotel stays. I have a CC with 5% on gas/groceries, but only 1% on other purchases, so I'd love to get a higher percentage back somehow.

Thanks again for the Starwood info - I'll look into it, along with some other options out there after I read the fine print.

You can take a look and read the fine print here: http://www.spgpromos.com/nights/index.cfm?PS=GWS_aa_Starwood_SPG_CT_NightsHomepage_012209

They have as OP mentioned won many awards as having the best perks. Like all perks they are only worth it if you can actually use it. Miles on airlines with restrictions are a dime a dozen, and for some the hotel locations and / or cost may not be as desirable as a much smaller amount of cold hard cash, but only you can decide ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have read postings that you have both made and you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to the ins and outs of the airline industry. I saw a thread a while back where someone asked what was the best credit card to accumulate air miles. Here is my situation, I fly probably three times a year, mostly to Florida and mostly on American. I have 2 of the AA mileage cards at the moment and I pretty much charge everything to those cards, including my kids college tuition. I can't really complain because I was just able to get 3 free rt tickets to Europe with my airmiles. My problem with them is that it takes them 10 days to get me my bill in the mail and I have to allow them 10 days to receive my check so my turn around time for paying them is 3 days. I don't have this probelm with any of my other CC's. I am now looking for a new airmiles card and am asking for your suggestions as to which would be the best for someone like me? I would like to be able to use the miles on American for flights to Florida, but I am also planning a trip to Seattle as well as one to San Diego. BTW BOS is my home city. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have to bow out of this one, as I don't know the first thing about airline miles credit cards in the US. The thread you're thinking about had a lot of good ideas and suggestions - follow them up. Also, see this earlier thread: Best Affinity Credit Cards for Travel.

One question about paying the bills on these cards: Can't you see your statement online before the bill comes? Can't you pay the bill electronically? If you can opt in to either or both of these, you could dramatically reduce the problem which you currently have.

I have read postings that you have both made and you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to the ins and outs of the airline industry. I saw a thread a while back where someone asked what was the best credit card to accumulate air miles. Here is my situation, I fly probably three times a year, mostly to Florida and mostly on American. I have 2 of the AA mileage cards at the moment and I pretty much charge everything to those cards, including my kids college tuition. I can't really complain because I was just able to get 3 free rt tickets to Europe with my airmiles. My problem with them is that it takes them 10 days to get me my bill in the mail and I have to allow them 10 days to receive my check so my turn around time for paying them is 3 days. I don't have this probelm with any of my other CC's. I am now looking for a new airmiles card and am asking for your suggestions as to which would be the best for someone like me? I would like to be able to use the miles on American for flights to Florida, but I am also planning a trip to Seattle as well as one to San Diego. BTW BOS is my home city. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Why don't you just look up your bill online, and then pay it online? Payment will post a lot more quickly. Seems a rather minor complaint if you are otherwise happy with your card. IMO, it's usually a waste of FF miles to use them for a purchase for a domestic flight.

Tuition on your credit card!! Way to go...that should make the sting of college costs a little better.

I would echo the advice about online payment of your bills....should solve your "timing" issue. IIRC, your credit card spend goes toward lifetime elite status with AA, so if that is a factor, I'd be sticking with the AA cards.

Check into electronic viewing and payment. If that doesn't solve the issue, post again and we can delve more deeply into what works best for you.

Thanks for the replies. I can certainly try looking at my bill online. That may help.

I don't ever use the miles to get free tickets in the US. I only use them for upgrading to first class. At least all that college tuition allows me to fly in comfort. This is the first time I actually used them for award tickets to Europe.

Can you please explain to me about life time elite status? I don't know anything about elite status because I don't actually fly enough miles per year to ever get to any status. Thanks.

Can you please explain to me about life time elite status? I don't know anything about elite status because I don't actually fly enough miles per year to ever get to any status. Thanks.

On AA when you have accumulated 1 million miles through any means since the inception of your account you earn Gold status for life. When you achieve 2 million miles you earn Platinum status for life. You cannot earn Executive Platinum for life.

Other info about elite status:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/AAdvantage/programDetails/eliteStatus/qualificationRequirements.jsp

Like someone posted about Alaska card - the card has a $75 annual fee, however, it also has a $50 companion cert systemwide, plus 2 AS lounge passes each anniversary - for someone lives in AS market, just such benefits would have paid back the annual fee several times.

So far this year

AS Card fee: $75/year

savings on ticket to CUN: $300 ($350 ticket for $50)

FF miles earned: 10,000 (7000 to CUN, 3000 annual)

So after paying for the card, I saved myself $225, and earned half of another free ticket.

One minor correction, the 2 AS lounge passes are a one time thing, but the companion cert is yearly, and so is 3000 miles. I'd love to have the lounge passes annually

Bonus tip of the day: If you shop at Sam's Club, you are restricted in the CC that you can use - and won't get miles on your preferred Visa/MC/Amex FF credit card. However, you can go to the Wal-Mart that is almost always next door to Sam's and buy Wal-Mart gift cards with your Visa/MC/Amex CC. Earn the miles for that, then use those gift cards at Sam's. Easy way to get around the "restriction" they have for credit card payment there.

Great tip!!!

I am still a big fan of the US Airway Platinum Visa. I don't care about the annual fee because it pays for itself with two $99.00 companion tickets per year and a voucher for a US Airways club (my DH gets one too).

The service from BofA is great and I think I've had a card from them for about 20 years. They always resolve issues for me and I can walk into the bank to pay off my bill each month. Best of all, we have gotten the free flights that we have wanted year after year, two years in a row to Rome too. We usually book their partners which include some good airlines for international coach travel including SWISS (our favorite so far), Lufthansa (positive flights the last two years) and SAS. We will be on United (first time) next month who has good flights direct to LA and of course the points will be going to US Airways. This one works the best for me.

Btw, after hearing great reviews we flew Continental back from Buenos Aires last month (used Continental FFmiles reward) and it was the worst international flight we have been on in terms of customer service.

Regarding Starwoods (not the Amex), we stayed two nights at the Sheraton at Iguazu and I am pleasantly surprised that my 2,500 points can be transferred to US Airways and I believe without a charge.

On AA when you have accumulated 1 million miles through any means since the inception of your account you earn Gold status for life. When you achieve 2 million miles you earn Platinum status for life. You cannot earn Executive Platinum for life.

Other info about elite status:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/AAdvantage/programDetails/eliteStatus/qualificationRequirements.jsp

Interesting and that is a great benefit. I was wondering how some people I knew had platinum status with AA. I wish US Airways did something like that.

• 1 month later...

I love you guys!!!!!!

I've been sitting on the fence since NCL did away with their cc. Now I don't have to make a decision. Looks like it's a SPG AMEX for me.

Thanks a gabillion! btw... bonus day. 1st year is fee free.

Did I say I love you guys!!!!

I have a question about redeeming these miles on the Starwood card. I understand you can transfer points to various airlines as miles to use for FF awards. How difficult is it to redeem them for flights at that point? We don't fly a lot and with 2 school age kids, generally the only times we travel are when school is on break-peak travel times when FF seats are hard to come by. One of the reasons we use Capitol One is because we can easily get reimbursed for our tickets but I'm all for earning more miles and getting a better return. However, if we aren't going to be able to redeem the points for travel when WE are able to go, it's not worth it to us.

So, for all you folks who have this card, how easy is it for you to get "free" tickets or upgrades and are you able to take the flights you want at the times you want?

Thanks for any help or advice you have.

Jade13,

My USAirways BOA card is being transferred to Barclays sometime in June. It is a Dividend Miles Card which may be different than yours, but have had it for 20 some years. Anyway, it is being transferred and I must have spent 1-1/2 hours on hold with their CSR only to find out I could not transfer my CL to another card due to this move to Barclays. Two hang ups and a transfer to the wrong department. Not happy with BOA right now.

I have a question about redeeming these miles on the Starwood card. I understand you can transfer points to various airlines as miles to use for FF awards. How difficult is it to redeem them for flights at that point?
Your redemption is at the same ease/difficulty as the underlying program that you transfer into. One possible advantage is that you can research for awards, reserve them, then transfer into the program that has availability and pay for the reserved award seats.
We don't fly a lot and with 2 school age kids, generally the only times we travel are when school is on break-peak travel times when FF seats are hard to come by. One of the reasons we use Capitol One is because we can easily get reimbursed for our tickets but I'm all for earning more miles and getting a better return.
Only you can determine if the advantage of getting seats at those times is worth the hit on earnings. Note that those high demand times also have the higher ticket prices, so you are burning those CapOne points faster.
So, for all you folks who have this card, how easy is it for you to get "free" tickets or upgrades and are you able to take the flights you want at the times you want?
Being flexible is the key. If you can work with variable dates, routings and carriers, you have good shots at your desired rewards. If you want specific dates at the holidays for the non-stop to Hawaii, think again. Remember, award tickets are also part of the grand concept of supply and demand.

For those who might be interested:

I was fortunate enough to attend the Freddie Awards on Thursday in FLL. The winner for Best Affinity Credit Card (Americas) went for the third year in a row to the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex. The rankings (for the Americas):

1. Starwood Amex
  2. Marriott Visa
  3. Amex Membership Rewards
  4. Alaska Airlines Visa
  5. Hilton HHonors Amex

The event and winners in each category and geographical area are HERE. Click on the category on the right hand side to see the winners. You can then click "Show me the numbers" to get the full listings and rankings/ratings. The page is a "live-blog" of the event.

An especially telling comment from the writeup:

Don't look now but airline affiliated credit cards continue to lose ground to hotel affiliated credit cards. Last year, co-branded airline cards represented 69 percent of the qualified cards, this year, 56 percent.
Interesting data about this years Freddies....707,069 votes were cast, 492,165 from the Americas. What may be surprising to many is that the business traveller/leisure traveller break was 51% to 49%. Other interesting facts can be found in the "Winner's Circle" (past winners) and "Voter Profile" buttons on the left side of the website link noted above. Finally, for me, a high point was the opportunity to chat with Lady Jacqueline Laker, Sir Freddie Laker's widow. Charming lady who lives in the Bahamas.

We don't fly a lot and with 2 school age kids, generally the only times we travel are when school is on break-peak travel times when FF seats are hard to come by.

Are you looking for award seats for four to travel together? That can be difficult. DH and I are pretty good at getting award seats to just about anywhere we want to go in the world, but occasionally we will take different routings because of limited award availability. It's worth a brief separation for the benefit of international business seats.

Best to think creatively -- perhaps combine award seats with paid seats, or split into two groups of two. As Flyertalker mentioned, flexibility is key, along with research and knowledge of how the system works.

I just got my Starwood AmEx card a few months ago. If I book reward travel on an airline through the Starwood website (not transferring the miles to the airline) can I still get Frequent Flier miles for the trip?

You DON'T get FF miles for an award trip. Better read the fine print again.

I realize that if I use frequent flier miles on Delta (or any other carrier) for a free ticket that I don't get miles for that trip.

Since the Starwood AmEx is different since we are accumulating points for Starwood hotels that we can transfer to an airline if that was different.

I realize that if I use frequent flier miles on Delta (or any other carrier) for a free ticket that I don't get miles for that trip.

Since the Starwood AmEx is different since we are accumulating points for Starwood hotels that we can transfer to an airline if that was different.

You don't get FF miles for an award trip. Why would you think you get a "bonus" on a free trip???

Starwood is no different. Your points can be used for hotels, airlines, rental cars, all kinds of freebie stuff.

You can also book reward flights with SPG flight program. The value is very poor, IMHO, but if you absolutely, positively cannot find an award ticket through your FF program, you can get one through Starwood. Most tickets-almost 3 times as many Starpoints as a milesaver airline booked ticket.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think we could get 4 free tickets but when we get 2 free I'm a happy camper. Unfortunately, we really can't be too flexible right now because of the boys school breaks (they are at that age where they can't miss school-upper middle school and high school). Additionally, if DH and I go somewhere without them it's usually business related and again not flexible as far as dates go. Looks like I'll stick with Cap one for a few more years until it's just the two of us and we can go when we want. It may not be as big of a return but at least I get two free tickets out of them. (Doesn't that scare you to think how much we must charge!?!) Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on the cash back Discovery Rewards card?

My Husband is really considering this. I believe it just takes the reward out of the total cost of what you owe when you redeem it. Any experience? Likes, dislikes?

The Starwood Amex is the best out there by a fair distance.

Cards like the Discover where you earn rewards with the issuing bank or company and them use them for rewards can work out because you aren't limited to when award seats are open, however, they tend to be pretty poor value for redemption if you are also flexible enough to work within the usual restraints of frequent flyer miles. The majority of US carrier's FFPs allow you to use double the miles and fly at anytime which undermines some of the benefits of cards of this ilk.

• 8 months later...

I just applied for the Discover Miles Card. I then found this thread.:rolleyes: I, like the OP, am looking to change over from the RCI VISA. We are not very frequent flyers (we fly from PHX to ORD - Chicago) a couple of times a year and we fly for a cruise or family reason maybe once or twice a year. I will be redeeming our RCI VISA points soon for OBC's for our May cruise and will then be focusing on our next couple of cruises which will be on CCL (Alaska) & NCL (Hawaii). So I thought a card which could be used for airline tickets would be more beneficial to us. I already have an AX card which I use for Costco purchases and gas. I do not want another AX card as we use our 2nd card for everything else and yes, there are too many places I go which do not accept AX! So I thought I would try out the Discover card.

My question is how does this work? It can be used for any airline. You get 1 mile for each $ purchased, and for travel, eating out and a myriad of online retailers including the major cruise lines it is double miles. They give you 12,000 points the first year for signing up. Is that a true conversion to real miles? How are they redeemed?

I did research the card online and all of the card reviewers gave it a 5* rating. I just want to be able to get something back for my everyday spending and do not want to jump through a lot of hoops for redemption. Our travel times are NOT flexible at all, so no blackout dates works for us.

Thanks in advance!:)

Archived