IMHO Volendam New Zealand/Australia

Gsel

geologygeek, it was AA DFW-LAX, three hour layover, QF LAX-AUK. No excuse for rude flight attendants or bad service. Also no excuse for not seating people in the seats they were promised when they got their boarding passes. Mass confusion at LAX and many very upset people. I was a flight attendant myself and I NEVER told a passenger he had to put his carry-on luggage under his feet for a 12 hour flight. This is a safety hazard, against every rule in the book!

Last time I checked QF didn't fly from DFW! If you were flying on their Oneworld Partner, AA (or any other domestic carrier), when you check in for your US domestic leg they cannot change seats on the QF leg.

Some people on here are HAL cheerleaders, well I'm proud of my national airline.

I would have liked to see your comments if you flew with United! If you'd have done some research it's an aged B747-300 series that QF fly LAX-AKL, I never take that route (ever) - but it is always cheap.

My research tell me Qantas on its 747's have 75 rows in economy class, also my research tells me that most other airlines have 68,62 and one airline with 55 rows in there coach section.

To be fair to Qantas it is the safest airline in the world and I am certainly not going to put some wonderful staff down, but I will not give them my business and pay hard earned money to be seated in a sardine can. It is their greedy corporate system I am totally against.

We flew with Qantas the same route in Nov/Dec. of 2006, as Gsel did and found the flights and service to be very good. What other air line are you suggesting that could do a better job? The transfers were handled by TA and they worked out good as well. The ship we were on was the Statendam and that also was a very good trip. There is a review done by Cands about the cruise and it tells a wonderful story.

Having said we only use Asian airlines across the Pacific it can take much longer than a direct flight from coast to coast. I now realize that there are a lot of elderly travelers who may be better off on direct flights. We are young enough not to not mind the extra hours that it takes via the Orient.

My research tell me Qantas on its 747's have 75 rows in economy class, also my research tells me that most other airlines have 68,62 and one airline with 55 rows in there coach section.

To be fair to Qantas it is the safest airline in the world and I am certainly not going to put some wonderful staff down, but I will not give them my business and pay hard earned money to be seated in a sardine can. It is their greedy corporate system I am totally against.

The reason that QANTAS have one of the greatest number of seats in economy class is due to the fact they they are the biggest long haul carrier in the world.

Im not quite sure where you have gained your research but the QANTAS 747-438 4 only has 35 rows in economy, not including premium economy. Even the older 747-438 2 has 49 rows in economy! Even the brand new A380 has only has 38 rows in economy, once again not including premium economy which is located on the top deck with a very ample 42 inch seat pitch.

Check out the rows in the 70's with only two seats. They have more room and also moving about is easier. If advantage you can get on quicker, but you are the last off the plane. If you think you are in a hurry, those rows are a no-no.

The reason that QANTAS have one of the greatest number of seats in economy class is due to the fact they they are the biggest long haul carrier in the world.

Im not quite sure where you have gained your research but the QANTAS 747-438 4 only has 35 rows in economy, not including premium economy. Even the older 747-438 2 has 49 rows in economy! Even the brand new A380 has only has 38 rows in economy, once again not including premium economy which is located on the top deck with a very ample 42 inch seat pitch.

" The reason that Qantas has one of the greatest number of seats in economy class is due to the fact they are the biggest long haul carrier in the world."

Thank you for supporting my argument, more seats less room and of course more money for Qantas, nothing to do with long haul!

:):)

" The reason that Qantas has one of the greatest number of seats in economy class is due to the fact they are the biggest long haul carrier in the world."

Thank you for supporting my argument, more seats less room and of course more money for Qantas, nothing to do with long haul!

It actually has everything to do with long haul.

Can you imagine the prices of seats if they gave you more seat pitch which equals less seats on the aircraft??

They order the aircraft with a certain seating configuration so that they do make money (they are a business, NOT a charity) so as too not lose money everytime they fly long haul. If you look at their 737's for example, their seating configuration is the same as 99% of the other carriers in the world. The reason, domestic and NOT long haul.

As Jann stated (hi Jann:)), check out seatguru, that will show that even your most favoured Asian airlines have between 35 and 42 rows in economy with the same or LESS seat pitch.

You could always fly at the sharp end of the aircraft:D, more space there!!

I suppose i am biased in this arguement being an Aeronautical Engineer!

It actually has everything to do with long haul.

Can you imagine the prices of seats if they gave you more seat pitch which equals less seats on the aircraft??

They order the aircraft with a certain seating configuration so that they do make money (they are a business, NOT a charity) so as too not lose money everytime they fly long haul. If you look at their 737's for example, their seating configuration is the same as 99% of the other carriers in the world. The reason, domestic and NOT long haul.

As Jann stated (hi Jann:)), check out seatguru, that will show that even your most favoured Asian airlines have between 35 and 42 rows in economy with the same or LESS seat pitch.

You could always fly at the sharp end of the aircraft:D, more space there!!

I suppose i am biased in this arguement being an Aeronautical Engineer!

We travel on Asian airlines with a 34" pitch and a 17.5 width that is why we use them. Whether you are an Aeronautical Engineer or the Tea Lady facts are facts, Qantas have a 31" pitch with a 17.5 width = for me a sardine can.

We travel on Asian airlines with a 34" pitch and a 17.5 width that is why we use them. Whether you are an Aeronautical Engineer or the Tea Lady facts are facts, Qantas have a 31" pitch with a 17.5 width = for me a sardine can.

Ive never heard of Asian Airlines :D If you are talking about Thai Airlines, yes they do have 34 inch pitch seats on their 747-400, all 15 seats of them, with the rest being 32 inch. Yes that is still more than the dreaded sardine can of only 31 inches on poor old QANTAS!

Try the A380 with a 38 inch pitch in premium economy, but im sure you could still find something to complain about :).

It sounds like its not the seat pitch that is the issue, but the cost of the seats

It is their greedy corporate system I am totally against.
. If it comes down to a couple of hundred dollars, i would support the owned and operated AUSTRALIAN QANTAS business.

Ive never heard of Asian Airlines :D If you are talking about Thai Airlines, yes they do have 34 inch pitch seats on their 747-400, all 15 seats of them, with the rest being 32 inch. Yes that is still more than the dreaded sardine can of only 31 inches on poor old QANTAS!

Try the A380 with a 38 inch pitch in premium economy, but im sure you could still find something to complain about :).

It sounds like its not the seat pitch that is the issue, but the cost of the seats

It is their greedy corporate system I am totally against.
. If it comes down to a couple of hundred dollars, i would support the owned and operated AUSTRALIAN QANTAS business.

Give me a break! if you want to pay more with less leg room go ahead. Qantas just love people people like you!

Give me a break! if you want to pay more with less leg room go ahead. Qantas just love people people like you!

LOL, if you want to spend an extra 9 hours on an aircraft for 2 inches of leg room go right ahead! As i said the A380 has a 38 inch seat pitch!

PS..i knew you would still have something to complain about :D

LOL, if you want to spend an extra 9 hours on an aircraft for 2 inches of leg room go right ahead! As i said the A380 has a 38 inch seat pitch!

You fly your way. But I am not going Qantas!

:):):):):)

LOL, if you wanna spend an extra 9 hours on an aircraft for 2 inches of leg room go right ahead! As i said the A380 has a 38 inch seat pitch!

You fly your way. But I am not going Qantas!

Might be time to try Qantas again:

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2008/ResultsFull-08.htm

:D:D:D

Reading back a bit, I can see you copped some flack from the other poster...

For the benefit of other CC readers, particularly those visiting Australia, I think it is better to get the facts, rather than just one person's view. I would certainly expect that for a lot of people, particularly from the USA/Canada that a direct flight to Australia would be preferable to one though Asia with "Asian airlines" - which doesnt actually exist. Perhaps this was a reference to Asiana? (not sure how convenient their connections are to the USA (where the OP originated), via Seoul?

Regardless, we are all entitled to make choices and air our opinions- We already know Downunder's opinion about Qantas - has the dead horse not been flogged enough though?

Thank you for keeping things civil, I fly European airlines, I fly American Airlines and I fly Asian airlines. If even that is not understood, then I give up!

But you certainly gave it a good shot...

To be fair, please dont make up things about the airlines you DONT fly with...

That is, Qantas does not cramp in 75 rows in economy!!!

Some of the posts that you complained about were the ones that stated the facts..

Thank you for keeping things civil, I fly European airlines, I fly American Airlines and I fly Asian airlines. If even that is not understood, then I give up!

But you certainly gave it a good shot...

To be fair, please dont make up things about the airlines you DONT fly with...

That is, Qantas does not cramp in 75 rows in economy!!!

Some of the posts that you complained about were the ones that stated the facts..

I have flown Qantas, whatever spin you want to use the issue is still the same. Packed in like sardines, stressed out staff which make for a hit and miss situation regarding in flight service. I am speaking from my experiences traveling with Qantas, so If you and others are not happy about me speaking out about the Australian National Carrier, that is your issue!

Archived