Kids and this ports???

Hi this trip is a long way off but I just want to get an idea before I get mine and family's hopes up. We are avid cruisers and have taken our two dd's on now 8 cruises all in the Caribbean and Mexico...I really want to go on the Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona for 12 days. This cruise would be spring break of 2010. My question is are there other kids on board or is this more of an adul cruise?...my girls would be 15 and 10 qnd they both love to travel and new places. However, having said that a big part of cruising for them is the kids club and meeting other kids. I just don'nt want them to be the only kids...

any info would be great!!!:)

Hi this trip is a long way off but I just want to get an idea before I get mine and family's hopes up. We are avid cruisers and have taken our two dd's on now 8 cruises all in the Caribbean and Mexico...I really want to go on the Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona for 12 days. This cruise would be spring break of 2010. My question is are there other kids on board or is this more of an adul cruise?...my girls would be 15 and 10 qnd they both love to travel and new places. However, having said that a big part of cruising for them is the kids club and meeting other kids. I just don'nt want them to be the only kids...

We had cruised the Med 5 years ago when my DS was 15 but we went in June, and there where kids on board. Some Americans and quite a few Europeans. He never went to the kids club, most of the kids just hung around. And he had to come tothe cabin early since we always got up early for the tours in port.

I don't know what it would be like at spring break, it will also depend when your spring break is.

Europe has vacation around Easter.

This is a perfect age to visit Europe if you have kids who like history and are used to spending time with adults and eating in nice restaurants. OTOH, if they just play video games and watch tv all the time, they probably will be unhappy.

My boys loved Europe and cruising at that age (and still do).

It would help if you said when your cruise dates are. In Europe we don't have 'spring break' but many countries do have a long break around Easter as well as a shorter one at the end of May. I think that whatever time you travel you will find there will be some kids on board as some people seem quite happy to take kids out of school anyway. However, if your spring break coincides with Easter there will be many kids on board.

We traveled in the summer and found lots of kids and in the kids club, not as many as Caribbean, of course. As other poster mentioned at least 1/2 were European.

Your kids should be more then old enough to really enjoy the ports. On almost all the European cruise I can't imagine them spending too much time in the kids club except on sea days. There is just so much to experience in the ports. Even our 7 year old did 8/10 ports with us and has many memories. She lobbied many a day for the kids club but even I think she is happy to have those special port memories instead of another generic kids club experience.

I will suspect you will find far fewer kids as you'll be spanning two weeks and fewer parents willing to pull kids out for that amount of time even with spring break.

But I guess you will get the advantage of less crowds then peak tourist season.

You say spring break.

If it is summer there are plenty of kids.

But, not many go on a cruise for that long for a spring break as in most cases that would involve taking kids out of school.

Can you let us know what dates you are looking at?

Keith

April is a great time to visit this area as there are less tourists and the weather is nicer than the middle of the summer but there would be very few children on board since school is in session.

If you want children I would try to plan this when school is out but as early in the summer as you can.

Keith

Archived