"pretipping"

Linedog

I used to travel a bit for work, when I landed at a hotel, I would be staying there for a few weeks at least. The first thing I would do is to tip the maid at least a twenty and tell her I would be here a while and what I liked and not. Fresh towels every 3rd day or so, clean sheets every week. I always got great service, was it the pretip? This is my first cruise, any of you pretip?

Some do but they are a very small minority. Some feel that it may be seen as a bribe to steward. We don't tip in advance but sometimes will tip our room steward mid cruise on a longer trip. Regardless you will always find fresh ice in your room, towels changed daily and often more often, linens changed every 4 or so days and your bed turned down each evening.:)

I have tipped along the way but never in the very beginning. I read a very interesting article written by the wife of a cruise ships captain today. One of the things she touched on was pretipping. She said many cruise ship employees take it as an insult....implying that you feel that the only way you will get good service is to pay for it beforehand rather than simply letting them "earn" it. She added that the vast majority take great pride in the quality of their work and would prefer a letter sent to upper management about their superior service. Interesting perceptive.

There is really no need to tip ahead of time.

It is a good idea to talk with your steward/stewardess about any special needs you have. You may even want to write them out to hand to him/her if you have a lot of requests.

Other than that, you can easily tip them at the end.

Keith

I used to travel a bit for work, when I landed at a hotel, I would be staying there for a few weeks at least. The first thing I would do is to tip the maid at least a twenty and tell her I would be here a while and what I liked and not. Fresh towels every 3rd day or so, clean sheets every week. I always got great service, was it the pretip? This is my first cruise, any of you pretip?

You pre-tipped for the things they are supposed to do anyway. Fresh towels and changing sheets are done according to schedule. I regard pre-tipping as gauche, and possibly insulting as well.

I have "pre-tipped" for special PITA services I want. For example, I am up early and like my stateroom made up ASAP. Since this can interfere with the normal schedule for the cabin steward (a special PITA service request), I ask for this service and give a pre-tip sating: I know you would do this anyway, but I really apprecaite you taking the trouble to adjust your normal routine and would feel better if you accept this as a thank you.

In over 30 years of cruising, I've never "pretipped". Those folks onboard will bust their butts for you in any case. You'll find at the end of the cruise you'll probably tip over and above the recommended guidelines.

Archived