Breakfast

There are no sittings for breakfast so two venues are required to accomodate so many people.

In the MDR you can be served a hot cooked breakfast whereas in WJ you serve yourself.

Opening hours for the two venues may vary allowing people who wish to eat earlier do so. This may apply to people going ashore on an early tour.

Since WJ is a buffet it can be faster to eat there and if you have an early excursion you don't have to allow as much time for eating as you do with a sit down order off a menu venue. I often wake up earlier than my husband and will grab a light breakfast in the WJ then go do something else until he gets up at which point I may have snack with him or just have an early lunch depending upon how late he slept in.

Eating in the MDR generally takes longer. Although I've heard they are working on that. Also in the MDR during breakfast and lunch, the staff seats you where they want, which sometimes means sitting at a large table and meeting some new people. Great if you are up for that, but in the WJ, you pick your own table and eat with whomever you want.

Both are good...we usually eat breakfast at the windjammer...I like to browse all the choices. There is usually an omelet station too. It is the same thing pretty much everyday, so you may find a few more things in the MDR. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

I have been reading on these boards about breakfast in the WJ and MDR. Why do they serve breakfast in two different places. Most reviews indicate that the MDR breakfast is better. Under what circumstances would I choose WJ over MDR and vice versa.

They offer it in two places because some people prefer to sit and be served from a menu presented to them in the dining room, while others prefer to scan the selections at the various food stations in the buffet restaurant and choose specific items and quantities that they feel appropriate. Pretty much anything that you can get in the dining room is also available in the Windjammer and there may even be a few more items at the buffet. On Radiance class ships one of the benefits of breakfast in the Windjammer is being able to dine alfresco in the aft section of the ship.:)

I like the MDR breakfast when I have time to relax and be served. Late port days, late excursions or sea days are always good for that. It is much more vacation like to me!

That being said, the WJ is where I often end up. Either I'm up earlier than my boyfriend and am off to bring him back some fruit and a bagel after I eat, or we just need to be in and out quicker.

Yes, there is probably more selection of stuff in the WJ, but I like the freshly made items in the MDR and maybe I just like it that they bring the donuts to me!!!

I prefer the Windjammer just because I like to try a little bit of a bunch of stuff:D I would feel silly asking for multiple items in the dining room for breakfast. I did try the dining room once on my last cruise because I wanted eggs benedict but honestly they weren't that good and I didn't like having to wait for the rest of the table to finish eating.

I prefer to just pick what I want, eat, and then go!

I really HATE buffets---if you get pancakes, you have to search for butter, then for syrup--if folks are using those things, you have to wait....everything gets cold. You have a plate in one hand, utensils in another... it's a major pain in the ass.

The dining room has any and everything you could want for breakfast. They serve you, on tableclothed tables! All of the condiments are on the table, just waiting for your use! Everything is served hot. It's much more pleasant than WJ! It reallly doesn't take any longer than the "do it yourself" buffet. And, you don't have to "dress up" for breakfast or lunch.

We will generally grab something from the WJ for lunch, and take it to the pool...

I will take the omelette in the WJ or just juice, cold cereal and fruit. Just about everything else there is inedible.

My problem with the MDR is that you are dealing with trainees serving you and they are slow. I also do not want to spend an hour meeting and greeting new faces from other walks of life. That is fine at dinner but not the first thing in the morning.

I really HATE buffets---if you get pancakes, you have to search for butter, then for syrup--if folks are using those things, you have to wait....everything gets cold. You have a plate in one hand, utensils in another... it's a major pain in the ass.

The dining room has any and everything you could want for breakfast. They serve you, on tableclothed tables! All of the condiments are on the table, just waiting for your use! Everything is served hot. It's much more pleasant than WJ! It reallly doesn't take any longer than the "do it yourself" buffet. And, you don't have to "dress up" for breakfast or lunch.

We will generally grab something from the WJ for lunch, and take it to the pool...

There is no searching for condiments, they are in the same place every day. You don't have to wait for people using the syrup, they are individually packaged. The napkin wrapped utensils can be held in the same hand as your plate. The food in the WJ is served hot not cold as you think it is. Have you ever actually had breakfast in the WJ?

i like the idea of MDR for breakfast, but it really wasn't better. It was very slow, and the food was just OK. The WJ is the same thing every day. It is boring after day 2. I think we will skip down to the promenade cafe this time and see what they have there. Has anyone else done this?

We actually like the WJ because of the omelets you can get made to order and they are hot when you eat them. Also DH likes his bacon and I he likes a lot of it. He even asks the chef to cook it well done for him every morning special. I just like to pick and chose and also the grapefruit is all cut up for me lazy me.

i like the idea of MDR for breakfast, but it really wasn't better. It was very slow, and the food was just OK. The WJ is the same thing every day. It is boring after day 2. I think we will skip down to the promenade cafe this time and see what they have there. Has anyone else done this?

yes, basically pastries and coffee....

and to the person who doesn't want to wait for everyone to get finished...politely excuse yourself when you are done.....i don't find this offensive at breakfast......and we generally have tables for 2 at dinner, thus not an issue....

ALSO...you are not always getting 'trainees' at breakfast....we did breakfast in the MDR 2-3 times and each time saw dinner servers taking care of breakfast as well.....

it's nice sometimes...depending on the day and time, it can be pretty quick and not too crowded.

We prefer the MDR. Its quieter and calmer. Last time on Navigator it seemed like the WJ was PACKED with people. We actually had to eat standing up three days. We don't tend to be grazers. We like to order a meal eat it and go. In the MDR everything is freshly made and hot when served as opposed to the sometmes lukewarm picked over food at WJ. I do like others, get up early and go to WJ for some juice and a danish and then later go sit down at the MDR with the family. I was surprised last time that the WJ didn't open till 7 I think it was. I had to go all the way down to the Promenade to get some tea to watch the sunrise.

It's the dining room for us unless we sleep in and have to face the buffet brawl. Some of the things I read here about the dining room, like sharing tables, taking a long time and little selection just either we haven't experienced or perhaps we've been lucky.

We've eaten in as little as 20 minutes, special ordered items and always get a table to ourselves since we request it at seating.

It's so much more civilised than facing lines, searching for a clean table, having to leave your food to fetch your own beverages. As far as selection goes, sure there is more at the buffet, but it is buffet food. None of it, MDR or buffet is anything to get excited about, it's just fuel for the day. I just find buffets a little gross.

I will take the omelette in the WJ or just juice, cold cereal and fruit. Just about everything else there is inedible.

C'mon, tell us what you really think...a bit harsh, but to each his own.

We enjoyed breakfast in the WJ. I loved the oatmeal (especially with the golden raisins!) and the bran muffins, which were always fresh, tasty, and hearty without being too "heavy". Other than that, I had fruit every day, maybe an omelet, or something else that looked good each day.

We also just love sitting and watching the water out the window:

22Windjammerbreakfast.jpg

It did help that we are early risers, so it was rarely packed when we ate breakfast there.

I will admit that we never even really thought about going to the MDR for breakfast, so maybe we will try that next cruise!

Sue

Both venues have pros and cons, although there are some folks who have very strong opinions on which is better or worse as you can see from the responses here. Try them both and then you'll know which is best for you or which you prefer. We do both depending on the day, our schedule, or our mood.

Archived