11am Flight From YVR?

GMoney

I would like to say yes but it is extremely tight. Your ship is in at 7 am but I doubt that the first pax will be off before 8 am, you need to clear customs and get a cab allow a min of 30 mins and perhaps 45 mins. YVR is a full 30 mins from the terminals...you need to be at YVR a min of 2 hrs pre-flight time to clear customs and security...I wouldn't try it; but good luck.:)

Not without US Direct. You are taking a BIG risk, in my opinion, and I am a very experienced traveler. :) You need to be WELL aware of your options, and have plans in place if you miss this flight. Is there any worth to the missed flight ticket?? DO NOT expect to just get on the "next flight". These flights run about 100% load factors with standbys and overbookings. Be prepared to overnight.

With making this flight, you need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead- there can be significant lines for checking bags and in security, customs, (I was in lines 2 1/2 hours one trip). You need to allow 30 minutes for the cab. It's all stop and go city driving.

Yikes, now I'm nervous. Our flight leaves YVR at 12:05. Our TA said it would be fine. Anyone have experience getting a flight out right at noon?

I don't recommend anything before 1pm without US Direct. I would strongly suggest you consider signing up and paying for this.

Thanks for the link but unfortunately we're booked on American, which isn't one of the participating airlines. If you have any other tips to expedite getting in and around Vancouver and the airport, that would be great. Our alternative was to go on to Seattle and spend the night there, flying out the next day, so it seemed like the right move to go for the noon flight. If we miss it, we'll spend the night in Vancouver instead.

I'm confused now. I checked another website which shows American as one of the airlines that participates in US Direct, contrary to the info on the link from BudgetQueen. We will be on the Island Princess, and need to be at the airport in time to make our 12:05 flight out of Vancouver. Another post mentioned that Princess has something called EZcheck, which they said is the same thing as US Direct. Does anyone have any experience using the expedited transport on Princess to the Vancouver airport?

It does look as though American participates in the program; it was only on the one link from Budget Queen that it was excluded. Our TA still says we'll be fine with a 12:05 departure but I'm not so sure based upon what I'm reading here. We are also leaving on a Monday morning when I would expect traffic to be heavy. So, I know we want to do this, and we are on the Island Princess. Is it true that we just sign up when we board the ship? Has anyone ever done it ahead of time?? Thanks in advance....

It does look as though American participates in the program; it was only on the one link from Budget Queen that it was excluded. Our TA still says we'll be fine with a 12:05 departure but I'm not so sure based upon what I'm reading here. We are also leaving on a Monday morning when I would expect traffic to be heavy. So, I know we want to do this, and we are on the Island Princess. Is it true that we just sign up when we board the ship? Has anyone ever done it ahead of time?? Thanks in advance....

It is called EZ Check through Princess. Most big cruise lines have it, but call it a different name. You can only sign up for it after you board the ship. Just inquire at the Guest Relations Desk. You will fill out the forms and it will be charged to your rooms. I think it was around $20/pp. Well worth it in my opinion.They take your luggage the final night....as usual. We have never had a problem with lost luggage so far. Having said all this, this will be our first time using US Direct in Vancouver. I just hope it all works the same. Make sure you purchase transfers from the ship to the airport through your travel agent. This combination of transfers and EZ Check is a must! We also have a 12:05 flight. I am not worried, but I might ask to be in the 1st group off the ship. I'll do this after boarding though. I don't think we'll have any problems with that flight time. Good luck.

We have a 12:20 flight from Vancouver on Sept 2nd ,after our southbound Carnival cruise. We tried to arrange for US Direct but have been informed by Carnival that this service is only available for the northbound cruises .

Does Carnival allow us to self-debark? Their customer service was not too sure about that. They told us that they would not advise a flight before 11am and maybe we would want to use their transfer service. I think it would be quicker for us to be on our own and get to the airport without waiting for their bus to fill up with other passengers. Does Carnival have any type of EZ check?

Im flying air canada leaving YVR at 12:05pm to Toronto. Then I connect in Toronto to Raleigh NC. Can I use US direct?

You won't be able to use US Direct. You won't go through US immigration in Vancouver, you'll go through it in Toronto.

Thanks, Snorkel Mom. I will direct my TA to buy the transfers to the airport offered by Princess, then request EZ check when we board the ship. That sounds like a plan to me. TA still insists that we won't have a problem making that flight, but I live in fear of those airport lines, as well as Monday morning traffic to the airport. I hope you enjoy your trip as well.

Certainly, links can be in error, which it appears to be so. BUT, I would wonder, how much your agent actually KNOWS, and have they any experience with traveling out of Vancouver and Alaska cruise ships??

I find, most of the time, people put a LOT of faith in TA's, when most don't know anything beyond what is read and on paper. No flames please, but it is frequently seen over and over, with TA's giving the wrong advice.

Bottom, line, with a noon timeframe, I would definately get the US Direct. There is NO way to predict what is going to be going on your particular day of departure. Sure there are going to be those "smooth" reports, all well and good. But, this departure point is also loaded with other direct reports, including my experiences of significant lines and waits without US Direct. Best is to avoid them.

Is it true that we just sign up when we board the ship? Has anyone ever done it ahead of time?? Thanks in advance....

To confirm, yes you make your arrangements aboard ship. I would make my arrangements early though as there are a finite number of spaces available. Also, there is no actual charge for US Direct but the ships do levy a charge for their transfer and E-Z luggage service. :)

You won't be able to use US Direct. You won't go through US immigration in Vancouver, you'll go through it in Toronto.

Great. I will change my flgiht to 11:00 am. Im hoping that I wont need to be at YVR so early as I will do customs in Toronto.

You think that will work?

Thanks

One thing you will need to check is the earliest flight out that will still qualify you to use the express baggage program. It is usually after 12 pm or sometimes 1 pm. The ship needs time to get the luggage to the airport. The airport needs time to security screen the luggage. If you call the cruise line, they can give you this information. The time will vary by port.

Having flown out of YVR on several past cruises, I would never fly out before 1 pm. Too risky.

HI Crbonfiber,

I flew the same route from Vancouver/Toronto/Raleigh last June at the end of our cruisetour (we live on the coast near Wilmington)..Princess did our air as part of the cruisetour package, and they put us on an 11:15 AM flight and I seem to remember having plenty of time.

I stress about getting to the airport in plenty of time, so we opted to do the 'Express Walkoff" to ensure that we were among the first off. I then remember waiting around for a bus to fill up to go to the airport, then I remember thinking that Vancouver had alot of traffic! The Princess folks who met the shuttle at the terminal were helpful and I also remember having a special check-in line for cruise ship passengers.

Good luck!

ps-are you a Carolina or a Duke fan??;)

One more thing to add to my post above...our flight home was on a Monday (the Coral Princess sailed Monday-Monday last year)...which meant that there were far less cruise ship passengers disembarking and going to the airport than there are on Saturdays and Sundays....definitely something to consider!

One more thing to add to my post above...our flight home was on a Monday (the Coral Princess sailed Monday-Monday last year)...which meant that there were far less cruise ship passengers disembarking and going to the airport than there are on Saturdays and Sundays....definitely something to consider!

Cool thanks

Archived