Millennium 3/15/09 Sailing Canceled (Several merged threads)

Andy

Hi. If the ship is drydocked, what are the chances of the 3/29 cruise being cancelled?

Thanks,

jewel queen

Hi Jewel Queen !

Based on what I've heard, they didnt seem to feel the 3/29 sailing was likely to be cancelled. However, I cant promise that. One thing that has me concerned, is the 3/29 sailing does not seem to be available for sale on the Celebrity website (unless it is actually sold out). Of course, this may have been done for precautionary reasons, and it does not mean the sailing is off.... though it is a red flag.

Hopefully, things will become clear over the next several days. The moment I hear anything further, I will post it on this thread. Good luck !

Andy, I really need to say to you 'THANK YOU MATE!'

Thanks to you letting us know about this I knew before Celebrity UK, in fact I think it was my phone call at 08.00 am yesterday morning that promted them to look into it.

Once again, if you need 'Up to Date' information Cruise Critic is the only place to check it out!

Have been up for most of the night last night, but managed to change this into a land tour (which I'm not sure about - seems like darned hard work, but hell, it's better than sitting at home on your 30th Wedding Anniversary.

Thanks again Andy

Trish

We are on 3/29 B2B2B: our contingency plan: I just spoke with redeployment desk and "they don't think it will be a problem". Next I spoke to my TA at a major online travel agency. They have known about this for a week (as they have 50+ cabins booked on 3/15 cruise). He doesn't known for sure but thinks we are all right for 3/29. We are leaving for Sydney on 3/19 so our arrangements w/ hime are to keep us current via e-mail and to update our file with hotel contact info. We booked our own air, so here is "Plan B": Go to Sydney as scheduled, enjoy our week there and if necessary, do a land tour of Australia, New Zealand and catch the next leg in Auckland. We already contacted a couple who is doing 1st 2 legs with us, and team up on land tour expansion if necessary. Thank God we chose an inexpensive Travel Lodge in financial district in Sydney, so if we had to stay an extra 10 days or so, we'd still be covered by reimbursement (if it comes to that).

The following are the excellent resources which I use whenever I visit Sydney or New South Wales. They can assist with everything from accommodation to what to see and do and what is on:

www.sydneyvisitorcentre.com.au

Email: Visitorinformation@shfa.nsw.gov.au

Sydney Visitor Centre,

Level1, Cnr Argyle Street and Playfair Street

The Rocks.

1 800 067 676 toll free in Australia

(02) 92408788

www.visitnsw.com.

wotif.com

Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

We are booked on the Mille in Oct. I will have planned this trip for 10 months by the time we leave. I can not fathom how upset those on this cruise are. Especially when it is cancelled so close to the cruise date.

My question is why does X allow the Pod problem to continue? It seems as if X has not put enough pressure on the Pod maker to re-enginer the Pod to get rid of all of the problems.

garardo

They are the M-Class ships, Summit & Infinity seem to have had the most problems, then Millennium and Constellation with fewer problems. Back in 2005 & 2006 they were noted for their pod problems, but haven't heard much of anything in the last year. I googled to see if I could find anything on the lawsuit that RCI had against the maker, but nothing new shows up. People thought they weren't fixing the problem until the lawsuit settled. So maybe everything has been cleared up now.

I seem to be uninformed re 'class' of ships. Can anyone tell me if the Solstice class could be susceptible to this kind of problem. I don't know if it's 'pod' propelled??

I am sorry for those who were booked on this cruise. This post is for those worrying about their future cruise on Millie (I am on a sailing in June) and I thought I would let others know a little of my experience with trip insurance. Feel free to skip if you are not interested :)

I always buy trip insurance for my cruises through insuremytrip.com and I usually choose CSA as the carrier. When it asks for my trip cost I include my cruise fare and my air and shore excursions as well as pre cruise hotel (especially if I booked a pre-cruise hotel or rental car through hotwire which means I have paid for in full with no refunds) (I book both of these seperately). I print out the policy after I buy it (it is about 20 pages long). I read through it and take it with me in a small 3 ring binder I carry with all my other info in my carry on backpack. I have purchased insurance for the last 10 cruises or so and I had to use it once when we were on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans and couldn't go back to the port because Hurricane Katrina was coming in along side us! CSA booked returning airfare for us when I called them from the ship since now I suddenly needed tickets from Galveston (we had to pay for the tickets initially and then they reimbursed us later, important to know because you will have to have sufficient credit on your card to do this).

To make a long story short, when I got back I submitted all my receipts for additional expenses incurred and CSA paid me every penny. I even included the Kinko's receipt for all the copies I had to submit to them to get my claim paid and they paid for the copies too. I was more than impressed. I tend to stick with CSA because of this.

The important things are: include all costs when you state how much you are insuring the trip for, read the entire copy of the policy and have it with you for detailed info and KEEP RECEIPTS FOR EVERYTHING! Documenting and keeping records is absolutely necessary to get all your money back.

Does this ins cover cancelling your flight if your cruise is cancelled? That's what I'm looking for on our E Medit cruise We booked our own airfare--non-refundable on DELTA which was a major cost for this trip at abt $1100 pp.

Seems in the future I will not do that but will suffer with cruise line air for any distant cruises...

Hi Suzy !

I wanted to say that I am sorry your sailing was canceled.

I had a thought, and it's probably a longshot. I noticed that Royal Caribbean has several sailings on Rhapsody of the Seas, next season. Rhapsody sails out of Sydney and Perth. I'm not sure if the itineraries work for you. One big problem is, the Future Cruise Certificate is only for Celebrity sailings.

If the Rhapsody itinerary worked for me, I would sure try to plead my case with Celebrity, as they are owned By Royal Caribbean. If this does not work for you, or Celebrity says no, I hope you will be able to find another sailing on Celebrity that will make you happy. Good Luck !

When our Millennium sailing was canceled for pod problems a few years ago, we wound up sailing on Adventure of the Seas. Unless something's changed, you can usually work out a cross-line credit.

Hello MacThespian,

Do you know in how many countries Celebrity offers cruises with air? :confused:

You do not have always the choice with or without flight!!!.:(

Gitte;)

No, Gitte, I don't know in which countries air is offered as an option. But as far as I know, travel insurance is generally available in most countries.

I don't want to be unsympathetic. People have invested a lot in these cruises--in personal time and planning, as well as in terms of money. It's a big disappointment when they're cancelled. I live in the United States, and was very upset when Celebrity cancelled our Mediterranean cruise because of pod problems. A Mediterranean cruise was a major holiday for me, not one I normally take, and one that I had been planning for a long time. But I didn't think that Celebrity should have been required to reimburse me for expenses I chose to incur with other vendors--including the airline.

I don't think that the cruise line has an obligation to reimburse people for every expense they've incurred. I feel the cruise line has an obligation to reimburse you for what you've purchased from them. Celebrity has done this, and more. If you purchase something besides a cruise, do you normally get twice the money back if it can't be delivered? That's what Celebrity is offering.

I seem to be uninformed re 'class' of ships. Can anyone tell me if the Solstice class could be susceptible to this kind of problem. I don't know if it's 'pod' propelled??

When the Solstice class was first announced, I emailed Celebrity to ask if they would still be using the Mermaid pods (these are the ones which seem to cause the most problems--other manufacturers apparently have a better design). I was told it was a different pod system, but wasn't given details.

When our Millennium sailing was canceled for pod problems a few years ago, we wound up sailing on Adventure of the Seas. Unless something's changed, you can usually work out a cross-line credit.

Hi MacThespian !

I agree with you. However, the language of what I read, states the Future Cruise certificate is for Celebrity Cruises Only. If one of the affected passengers is willing to wait until next year, and sail on Rhapsody of the Seas, I hope that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will consider this as an option.

Perhaps someone on the canceled sailing will look into this, and report back if Celebrity/Royal is willing to make this accomodation. I've also asked this question to Celebrity. If I hear anything further, I will post it here.

Hello All,

We were booked on the 3/15 cruise. We were lucky and had booked air/cruise all inclusive, and feel that Celebrity is being very generous. As does our friends that were traveling with us and booked air independently.

My question for those that have been through this before - - Will celebrity send the certificate for the new cruise directly to us or our TA? I ask because we have already booked a Med. cruise in May directly with Celebrity not the TA we had used. I did not think to ask when we were booking the new cruise.

Thanks,

Becky

Hello All,

We were booked on the 3/15 cruise. We were lucky and had booked air/cruise all inclusive, and feel that Celebrity is being very generous. As does our friends that were traveling with us and booked air independently.

My question for those that have been through this before - - Will celebrity send the certificate for the new cruise directly to us or our TA? I ask because we have already booked a Med. cruise in May directly with Celebrity not the TA we had used. I did not think to ask when we were booking the new cruise.

Thanks,

Becky

Becky when I called Celebrity and asked this question, they said the voucher would be sent to Crucon (our agent)

Stacy

Hopefully, things will become clear over the next several days. The moment I hear anything further, I will post it on this thread.

Andy:

Sincere thanks for your continuing updates.

Where is Millie now?

Has she off loaded at Auckland and on her way to dry dock?

Dave

Host Andy...

Have you heard anything about what's going to happen concerning Millenium's "planned" May/09 dry dock ... now that the Millenium is doing this "unscheduled" emergency dry dock on March 15/09??

Just curious...wondering if Celebrity will keep the Millenium out of the schedule in May/09 too??

Pat :)

Andy:

Sincere thanks for your continuing updates.

Where is Millie now?

Has she off loaded at Auckland and on her way to dry dock?

Dave

Hi Dande !

My pleasure. I'm happy to help in any way possible !

From what I have read, Millennium is in the middle of a sailing, and is not due back until 3/15/09. The drydock/repairs will commence after this sailing.

Thanks,

Becky

That's a good question. I don't recall how it was handled--but since it's your certificate, not the TA's, you should be able to have him/her give it to you even if Celebrity sends it to the TA.

Hi Dande !

My pleasure. I'm happy to help in any way possible !

From what I have read, Millennium is in the middle of a sailing, and is not due back until 3/15/09. The drydock/repairs will commence after this sailing.

I too appreciate all the updates, and the sanity that you bring to what occasionally becomes overheated discussion (I admit that I'm sometimes guilty of that sin, no matter how much I try to guard against it).

I'm assuming that this drydock is for that unspecified problem (at least, I can't find any formal admission that it's a pod problem again), and that the scheduled drydock is more for refurbishments and stuff on board. I can't imagine them trying to add a cruise this close to the sale date. But if you hear otherwise, I'm sure you'll let us know.

Thanks again for all your work.

Host Andy...

Have you heard anything about what's going to happen concerning Millenium's "planned" May/09 dry dock ... now that the Millenium is doing this "unscheduled" emergency dry dock on March 15/09??

Just curious...wondering if Celebrity will keep the Millenium out of the schedule in May/09 too??

Pat :)

Hi 2Canucks !

That's a good question. I thought about this possibility earlier today. I have many different thoughts, and if I type it all of it out, I will confuse the daylights out of everyone.... so let's pass on that idea :)

To make a long answer short, there are many possible scenarios. Part of it depends on where they are doing the immediate Drydock. If they are doing it somewhere near NZ, they probably wont be able to do all the things they planned, during the May Drydock. This opens the door for 2 separate Drydocks within a 2 month period... something that Celebrity would likely rather not do.... though it may be inevitable !

I am sure that Celebrity will be dealing with these issues, in the coming days. Stay Tuned !

Sorry, but the value of the cruise credit is less than the cost of the plane tickets. And, paying a change fee for me on an airline I can't really use except to go to New Zealand isn't exactly helpful.

I agree, there's a difference between greed and appropriate compensation. I'm not even asking for anything for my trouble (which is considerable). What I am asking is that the compensation they offer be at least equal to the sunk cost, and it isn't.

After just having been on Mille in Jan. We noticed no propulsion problem, and we were in an aft cabin...so this must be new....But as to refunds for airfare...anyone with sense has travel insurance which will make up any difference between what you paid and the refund. Also they seem to be going on the premise that tickets can often be exchanged for another date I believe. We were lucky to have been on the "R4" 8 wks before the bankruptcy of Renaissance, where the passengers were "dumped" as is in the nearest port....with NO actual plan on how they were going to get home!!:eek:

She should be rounding the bottom of New Zealand now, due to arrive in Dunedin in about 11 hours time. She is still showing as due in here to Wellington on Thursday at 5.30am - I'll be watching for her!

I am on the 3/29 sailing out of Sydney (I hope), continuing on to Vancouver, where we are supposed to arrive on 5/8 - just before the scheduled drydock.

I purchased non-refundable BC tickets on Air Pacific, getting to LAX on American. These tickets were bought on Orbitz as was Trip Insurance with Access America.

Because of the possibility that the 3/29 cruise might be cancelled, I called Access America and asked her if my policy would protect me in the event Celebrity canceled the cruise. She told me that I was not the first person to call and that she had reviewed the circumstances with her supervisor (neither of whom have the authority to commit Access America (my thought)). She told me that their thinking was that since the Air Cancellation was caused by something over which I had no control, that Access America would most likely cover my loss.

Thats certainly a better response than 'so sorry', but not as good as 'absolutely'!

Good luck to those whose cruise has been cancelled as well us those who hope their's won't be.

Ira

If you want to know where the Millenium is, look here:

http://sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=9HJF9

I was in the Penthouse Suite on the February 15th cruise and, although sensitive to vibration, did not notice anything excessive during the cruise. There was a power outage one night, however. The ship's track that night also was a little strange. We were headed from Melbourne to Sydney, but made a sharp turn westward, back toward the Australian coast. I can't say this had anything to do with the outage, but it certainly wasn't the most direct route to Sydney.

TravelGuard is telling me that they are NOT going to cover it. Of course, I plan to continue up the chain of command, but just wanted to let everyone know.

Also, Celebrity has been less than helpful in getting me on another ship during this time (already arranged work and childcare). It's not that I don't appreciate the situation they are in and the compensation to be given, but right now I am sad (and Packed).

Actually, Celebrity NEVER contacted me. I had to find out online. I had to contact my TA. When I called they would not give me any prices over the phone because I wasn't my travel agent.

They also won't give me the reduced Single Supplement, even though they had them as part of their Tuesday Specials (she actually told me I should have booked on Tuesday before I REMINDED her that at that time I thought I would be leaving for New Zealand!!!)

SOOO, I went from my Sky Suite trip of a lifetime to NewZealand/Australia to the option of paying new air and paying double to get an inside guaranty cabin on an ititerary I don't want without so much as an I'm sorry. So sad.

Lisa

TravelGuard is telling me that they are NOT going to cover it. Of course, I plan to continue up the chain of command, but just wanted to let everyone know.

Also, Celebrity has been less than helpful in getting me on another ship during this time (already arranged work and childcare). It's not that I don't appreciate the situation they are in and the compensation to be given, but right now I am sad (and Packed).

Actually, Celebrity NEVER contacted me. I had to find out online. I had to contact my TA. When I called they would not give me any prices over the phone because I wasn't my travel agent.

They also won't give me the reduced Single Supplement, even though they had them as part of their Tuesday Specials (she actually told me I should have booked on Tuesday before I REMINDED her that at that time I thought I would be leaving for New Zealand!!!)

SOOO, I went from my Sky Suite trip of a lifetime to NewZealand/Australia to the option of paying new air and paying double to get an inside guaranty cabin on an ititerary I don't want without so much as an I'm sorry. So sad.

Lisa

I can se why you are sad & also maybe mad too!

Archived