Millennium 3/15/09 Sailing Canceled (Several merged threads)

Andy

Oh, it just gets worse! They are now being outright rude in their unhelpfulness. I am not trying to get something for nothing, really. I am trying to get an equivalent trip to the one I lost--during the same time period.

I have posted on our roll call about the drama, but I really want others to know, who think we are so LUCKY for getting a free cruise.

I got the Infinity with no problem to South Americia leaving on Sunday. They gave me my future cruise credit for the amount that I had spent less taxes.

Also Air Pacific let us transfer to another date and there are other cruise lines still doing Auxtralia & New Zealand. Our Gold Travle on our Master card is reimbursing us the difference we had to pay on the air that Air Pacific charged us.

So come with us to South Americia on Sunday

Ontario Cruiser

That's a good question. I don't recall how it was handled--but since it's your certificate, not the TA's, you should be able to have him/her give it to you even if Celebrity sends it to the TA.

I can see another battle coming up here. Since our TA put in a New Manager and she brought in several new staff, they are worse than useless:( Thanks to Cruise Critic's early warning I phoned Celebrity UK direct and got the info., our TA still hasn't contacted us.

Trish

I purchased TravelGuard insurance through my travel agent (Gold Policy with additional Umbrella Supp.) for a trip value of $4500. They told my agent this morning that this is NOT covered. My air is with Air New Zealand and I have little hope of going anywhere they fly. My agent said he would work on it on Monday.

Celebrity also won't give me the reduced 150% single supplement on the Summit sailings during this time (even though they offered it with their Tuesday specials this past week). They also said I had to use the entire credit on one sailing, that it would not carry over..I was never even contacted by Celebrity, I found out on here! When I called my travel agent--they didn't know. I am so, so disappointed. Heartbroken."

Lisa, I think you are caught in the loop = middle of problem. Insurance is sooo confusing to me - I bought CSA through web (insure my trip and will let you know what they cover). As of now, they have told me that if cruise was canceled due to mechanical problems I am covered...and led me to believe I will get a full refund for all I covered (flights, hotels and cruise...except that since cruise ship is refunding cruise, I can't get that reimbursement (double dip)..)

"I was never even contacted by Celebrity, I found out on here! When I called my travel agent--they didn't know."

Was your agent a web based or someone local?

I'm not sure if this will help you understand - but this is what I know:

When you book with a travel Agent (TA).... - for "contractal reasons, " "X" is legally bound to contact the TA (and not to have any dealings with you) ..the TA should handle all your concerns dealing with booking. "X" pays the TA a commission and the TA picks up total responsibility for your cruise. If you buy insurance from the TA - the TA is your representative - and the one you deal with unless they instruct you otherwise - and even then - they are still your insurance booking agent.

I so hope this works out - Email me if I can help in any way and keep us posted of developements!

First of all, I feel sorry for those affected by the cancellation. I know how much effort I put into finding the ideal cruise that met all of my requirements, finding the right cabin to suit our needs, then all of the anticipation and preparations to research and book excursions, travel plans, packing, etc. To have this pulled out last minute must be frustrating, to say the least, and I am so sorry.

We are sailing on the Millie in November and sooooooo looking forward to my second cruise. Hopefully she'll be healthy and running like a champ with all upgrades, repairs etc. that were scheduled during the drydock.

I will make the comment, that my first cruise was on the Galaxy, not an "M" class pod configuration. However, one of the two most unpleasant experiences that I had on the 12 day cruise was during dinner in the MDR when a huge loud vibration event occured that lasted for maybe 20 seconds or so. It was very ujnsettling to many guests who left the dining room, very upset. It would have been completely acceptable if someone would have made an announcement in the dining room, as to what had just happened and that there was absolutely no reason to be alarmed. But that announcement never took place. FYI, the other most unpleasant experience was being awakened almost every morning around 5 am to the sound of a jogger on the jogging track directly above my floor. You could hear the jogger from quite a distance away. The pounding got louder as the jogger approached our cabin ceiling, then the pounding would lessen as the jogger moved on. It was bad and customer relations couldn't do much. Nevertheless our overall experience was supurb, with only two really bad events during the entire 12 day cruise. Needless to say, our cabin on the Millie is NOT on deck 9, thanks to all of the insightful posts on CC. Thanks to the posters for the info!!! Hopefully all of my research will be worth my efforts, and my Millie cruise will not be cancelled.

Maybe it appears that way - but is it really problems with your TA or X ?

Oh, it just gets worse! They are now being outright rude in their unhelpfulness. I am not trying to get something for nothing, really. I am trying to get an equivalent trip to the one I lost--during the same time period.

I have posted on our roll call about the drama, but I really want others to know, who think we are so LUCKY for getting a free cruise.

I may not understand what you are saying - the world is so complicated -??!!

And I'm not sure about who's certificate it is ? - just that the TA has control over the booking and the collected monies and control. Some TA's are great - I have used them several times - but when any glitch comes up, my preference is to talk 1 to 1 with the cruise line ....when I used a TA the issue always came up with all ship lines .." I'm so sorry, but you HAVE to contact your TA"..

Good question: Has anyone that used a TA (not X direct) been able to re-book, &/or been told money was on the way?

I can see another battle coming up here. Since our TA put in a New Manager and she brought in several new staff, they are worse than useless:( Thanks to Cruise Critic's early warning I phoned Celebrity UK direct and got the info., our TA still hasn't contacted us. Trish

Trish - Were you contacted by X directly abut the cancelation of cruise? Or did you contact them just to get confirmation?

Did X allow you to rebook with no monies changing ...or did they 'hold your cruise' and say the TA would finish it?

Maybe it appears that way - but is it really problems with your TA or X ?

I may not understand what you are saying - the world is so complicated -??!!

And I'm not sure about who's certificate it is ? - just that the TA has control over the booking and the collected monies and control. Some TA's are great - I have used them several times - but when any glitch comes up, my preference is to talk 1 to 1 with the cruise line ....when I used a TA the issue always came up with all ship lines .." I'm so sorry, but you HAVE to contact your TA"..

Good question: Has anyone that used a TA (not X direct) been able to re-book, &/or been told money was on the way?

Becky when I called Celebrity and asked this question, they said the voucher would be sent to Crucon (our agent)

Stacy

Stacy - Just read your post - so the certificate goes to the TA who thens rebooks for you and handles?

Does this ins cover cancelling your flight if your cruise is cancelled? That's what I'm looking for on our E Medit cruise We booked our own airfare--non-refundable on DELTA which was a major cost for this trip at abt $1100 pp.

Seems in the future I will not do that but will suffer with cruise line air for any distant cruises...

I also purchase CSA every cruise - and do so because I have read different experiences on Cruise Critic posts that have indicated CSA paid when other insurance didn't. When I called CSA they said my policy covered my expenses I insured (hotel, flights, cruise) IF cancelation is due to mechanical reasons. I will probably need to get something in writing from X to confirm it was mechanical related (regardless of how they word it and whether they say pods, sterring, etc)....They said X canceled because of economic reasons, cruise not being full, etc. - it would not be covered.

I'll make sure I update how this all works out in the end.

Trish - Were you contacted by X directly abut the cancelation of cruise? Or did you contact them just to get confirmation?

Did X allow you to rebook with no monies changing ...or did they 'hold your cruise' and say the TA would finish it?

After I read about the problem on Cruise Critic and a couple of emails from some of you guys I phoned X in the UK. They hadn't even heard about the problem and that point, but a really nice lady there phoned me back within the hour to tell me that yes, the cruise was cancelled, they had receieved and email from the States at around mid-night.

Because we booked through a TA the refund and credit will go to them. I shall then be battling to get it back as I will book direct with X in future.

Haven't got much time to do anything until we get back though as I have been sooo busy putting this road trip across NZ and Oz together (but it's starting to look good and we are getting excited about it again:D).

Trish

One thing every experienced cruiser should know:

Only book a cabin directly under another cabin!!

On the Millie class ships, you don't want a cabin on deck 9. On Century, you don't want to be directly under the pool deck, or if you want a suite, beware the aft suites, above the buffet, and under the 'running track'

Solstice and Equinox are to be determined!!

Ira:):)

The Millennium problems have made it to the media over here in NZ.

From: NZ Herald http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10560998

<snip>And the Millennium, a cruise liner operated by Celebrity Cruises, will disembark its passengers in Auckland and go to Sydney for repairs to its propulsion system.

Doug Colaco of Iss-McKay Ltd, the local shipping agent, says although the problem is not dangerous, it is urgent, so the ship will leave New Zealand without any holidaymakers.

The Millennium has been in Dunedin, and will stick to its programme of stops at Lyttelton, Wellington and Tauranga before berthing in Auckland on Sunday, at the end of its cruise.

Brian Woodhouse of Cruise Holidays, the wholesaler for Celebrity Cruises in New Zealand, says all the passengers scheduled to join the Millennium in Auckland on Sunday had been told of the problem.

They have all been offered a refund and the opportunity to book another cruise, as well as help with the cost of rebooking flights to New Zealand.

The Millennium will go into dry dock in Australia, and return to Auckland to pick up its passengers for the next 14-day cruise, scheduled to leave on March 29.</snip>

This is NZ, where everybody knows everybody... So I have contacted colleagues in Dunedin who have confirmed this with the port authorities...

The Millennium has departed Dunedin this morning, Wed 11th, approx 15 hours behind schedule, after an un-planned overnight stay.

Sea conditions are rough. She is not in Christchurch today and will by-pass that port, planning to still call in Wellington on Schedule, Thursday 12th.

Stacy - Just read your post - so the certificate goes to the TA who thens rebooks for you and handles?

That is what I was told and actually what happened. It works out well because I don't have to 'wait' to get a voucher, crucon will be the one waiting for the credit, and i can make an immediate booking, which i have already done.

This is NZ, where everybody knows everybody... So I have contacted colleagues in Dunedin who have confirmed this with the port authorities...

The Millennium has departed Dunedin this morning, Wed 11th, approx 15 hours behind schedule, after an un-planned overnight stay.

Sea conditions are rough. She is not in Christchurch today and will by-pass that port, planning to still call in Wellington on Schedule, Thursday 12th.

Just one of the advantages in living in a small friendly country!! :)

Thanks for the update. :)

Quite often, an onboard Cruise Critic member will provide a live update when a cruise is having a mechanical issue that affects the cruise schedule. It doesn't look like anyone has done that to date.

Please post it if you get additional update information.

It is not unknown for cruise ships to miss or be held up in Dunedin if the winds are too strong, as the channel into the port has a few twists and turns which make manouvering quite tricky.

Specially more so when considering that the mermaid pod system provides steering as well as forward/ reverse propulsion....And Millie being running on one of two only ( port side), that excellent comment by KiwiCruiser is even more relevent....

Cheers

:)

Hi all--just compensation---how dare anyone tell me that just compensation is a credit in the amount that

i paid for the cruise.Bet you that if you read the cruise ticket they are not liable for anything but a refund--If you live in Fla.--a class action suit would bring in thousands --to compensate for the loss of time spent planning ,deciding etc---Just think --they had sued the manufacturer of the pods and settled--I bet that they knew and let the ship sail--think of an airplane that gets motor trouble and before it gets fixed the pilot makes an emergency landing and everyone survives--except one --you--then find out that they had been flying with erratic engine problems--everyone gets a refund and a free ticket to nowhere good for one year Same o--sameo I called Celeb and they had the gall to tell me that they were offering a credit equal to the cruise amount paid--Ha Ha Ha --If you paid the published price--you get a deal --I did not--I paid less and got an exciting tuesday sale price so my credit was less--Allthat I asked for was A booked cabin in a Mclass ship14 day cruise in the same category that I was scheduled for. The Celeb rep said--we are only offering what she said--I said that that was not an offer --so I could not make a counter offer--All I wanted was a similar experience same cabin category--No way --I will use the credit--but after the credit is used You would have to drag me to sail with that company I spoke with a Celeb rep --he agreed that a same category cabin made more sense--not his job--Told mr that his sheet did not say offer a credit --It said --provide a cedit--Big Diff--I for one am livid --all my friends --including lawyer friends laugh at the meager comp--good bye and good luck

Allthat I asked for was A booked cabin in a Mclass ship14 day cruise in the same category that I was scheduled for.

I'd be very surprised if you added the cost of the refund you were given, to the credit that you have been given (meaning you are paying no more than you originally paid), if that doesn't cover an M class 14 day cruise somewhere in their schedule. And when you say scheduled, is that the same as what you booked, or did you get an upgrade as well? I would not suggest a refund should cover an upgrade as that was just a bonus, not something you booked.

If it doesn't cover your booking then you truly got an incredible bargain to begin with that would seem to be unrepeatable - but the way the market is moving, that doesn't appear to be the case.

For those whose air is booked thru Qantas, I just used the credit to book a trip with their partner American Airlines. It was easy. I would think this would work thru ANZ and their partner United. Hopefully, this will keep you from having credit, you might not use

Hi all--just compensation---how dare anyone tell me that just compensation is a credit in the amount that

i paid for the cruise.Bet you that if you read the cruise ticket they are not liable for anything but a refund--If you live in Fla.--a class action suit would bring in thousands --to compensate for the loss of time spent planning ,deciding etc---Just think --they had sued the manufacturer of the pods and settled--I bet that they knew and let the ship sail--think of an airplane that gets motor trouble and before it gets fixed the pilot makes an emergency landing and everyone survives--except one --you--then find out that they had been flying with erratic engine problems--everyone gets a refund and a free ticket to nowhere good for one year Same o--sameo I called Celeb and they had the gall to tell me that they were offering a credit equal to the cruise amount paid--Ha Ha Ha --If you paid the published price--you get a deal --I did not--I paid less and got an exciting tuesday sale price so my credit was less--Allthat I asked for was A booked cabin in a Mclass ship14 day cruise in the same category that I was scheduled for. The Celeb rep said--we are only offering what she said--I said that that was not an offer --so I could not make a counter offer--All I wanted was a similar experience same cabin category--No way --I will use the credit--but after the credit is used You would have to drag me to sail with that company I spoke with a Celeb rep --he agreed that a same category cabin made more sense--not his job--Told mr that his sheet did not say offer a credit --It said --provide a cedit--Big Diff--I for one am livid --all my friends --including lawyer friends laugh at the meager comp--good bye and good luck

The "loss of time spent planning"--give me a break. You're entitled to be upset because your vacation was not available--but greed is greed, pure and simple.

I'd be very, very surprised if a class action suit in Florida, or any other jurisdiction, got you "thousands."

If you and your lawyer friends think that you can get lots and lots of money suing Celebrity, why don't you do so?

But the sheer gall of comparing deaths in an airplane crash to a vacation you didn't take is what amazes me. Maybe it shouldn't; obviously, your personal inconvenience is the most important thing to you.

i paid for the cruise.

Stereo - I can't believe what I am hearing from you!!! I've followed some of your comments on threads stating you can't understand why people would book ahead and not hold off booking until rates come down. You yourself said you have booked and canceled and rebooked for over two years. You chose the game you played. And now you are angry that they won't compensate more than what you paid. Nonsense.

Just because you got a great deal on a cruise that was not selling well, doesn't mean you should get equivalent cabin on a cruise that is selling well.

I too got a great deal on this cruise and I will say I've been disappointed that I can't touch a replacement cruise with ANY cruiseline to New Zealand. We both got what we paid for. No more - No less!!!!!

Archived