Airlines chare for checked bags - Princess charges for laundry service?

ShibaInuMom

My husband and I have been on several cruises, all before the airlines began charging for checked luggage. Question - how much does Princess charge for laundry service? I read a thread, however I can no longer find it, that said Princess offered a one prince fee for all laundry services during your cruise. My husband this wasn't right and called Princess who said they don't know anything about it. We don't want to pay the $40 pp person each way to check luggage. We will be on a 14 night cruise on the Pacific Princess in June and don't want to spend time in the laundry mat. Any ideas?

We were on the Pacific Princess last month on 28 day B2B. Both times they offered one bag of laundry--all you can stuff in--for $20. The bags are not large as I recall. The laundromat is small--either 3 or 4 machines that cost $1 to wash and $1 to dry. The laundromat is closed between 8PM and 8AM. I did laundry one time per week and it was easy. I put the laundry in the washer at 7:45PM and left it there overnight. At 7:55AM I went in and put the clothes in the dryer. They were fine, the door is locked at night, and there was never an issue. I avoided all crowds this way. Certainly cheaper than a $20 fee for a bag.

My husband and I have been on several cruises, all before the airlines began charging for checked luggage. Question - how much does Princess charge for laundry service? I read a thread, however I can no longer find it, that said Princess offered a one prince fee for all laundry services during your cruise. My husband this wasn't right and called Princess who said they don't know anything about it. We don't want to pay the $40 pp person each way to check luggage. We will be on a 14 night cruise on the Pacific Princess in June and don't want to spend time in the laundry mat. Any ideas?

Princess has never offered a one price fee for all laundry services on any cruise that I've been on.

If you won't do your own laundry you can either pay for it to be done, per item or pay the $40 per person for your luggage.

When we were on Pacific Princess, 11-03, Papeete to Sydney, and again on Regal Princess, 'round the Horn, 3-06, they offered the $20.00 per bag laundry service.

I believe it was also offered on Golden Princess, trans-Atlantic, 8-02, but not positive on that trip.

If you are Elite, you get free laundry. Otherwise it is $1.50 each to wash and dry. There are 2-3 washers/dryers on each level laundry on the Princess ships we have been on. We always pack baggies of laundry soap and a few dryer sheets, just to ensure that we do not have to worry about the dispensers. Awful when you get a washer and there is no soap to buy to add in the vending machine!

On 2 of the 5 Princess cruises I've been on, they did offer to do a bag for $20. Both cruises were 10 days or longer. Once in Europe & once in the Caribbean. It really does help cut down on the packing or if you are getting off the ship to continue by land.

Roseanna

The Royal, Pacific, and Tahitian have one laundry room.

The others have one on most passenger decks.

Cost on some ships is $1.00 for a wash and $1.00 to dry. On some other ships it is $1.50 each.

As others have pointed out, you cannot count on the $20 (small) bag special being offered.

Typical costs for the ship's laundry to do it:

Shirt or blouse $3.00 each

Undershorts/panties $1.00

Pajamas $3.25

50% more for same day service if in by 9 AM

From 2007..

Current prices should be close

Trousers/Pants/Slacks/Skirts… $4.00

Shirts/Blouses… $3.00

Formal Shirts/Special… $4.00

Polo Shirts/Color T-Shirts… $3.00

Shorts… $3.00

Undershirts/White T-Shirts… $2.00

Undershorts/Panties… $1.00

Slips… $2.50

Bras… $1.50

Handkerchiefs… $1.00

Socks… $1.00

Nightgowns/Pajamas… $3.50

Sweatsuits… $5.00

Jumpsuits… $4.50

For major items -- jackets, suits, dress shirts / pants, t-shirts, etc. -- the Princess charges are not much higher than any major US city. But for briefs, undershirts, socks, etc. the charges mount up because they are normally laundered at home. So just plan to do the small items in the self-serve laundromat or if a bag is offered "stuff" these small items into the bag instead of trying to stuff jeans into the bag.

When we were on Pacific Princess, 11-03, Papeete to Sydney, and again on Regal Princess, 'round the Horn, 3-06, they offered the $20.00 per bag laundry service.

I believe it was also offered on Golden Princess, trans-Atlantic, 8-02, but not positive on that trip.

Thanks for the information.

They didn't offer it on our 2005 10 day Golden sailing in Europe and I was hoping they would. We had been in London for 5 days prior and we needed some stuff done. I tried the laundromat but it was crowded so just bit the bullet and paid for what we need cleaned.

If you are Elite, you get free laundry. Otherwise it is $1.50 each to wash and dry. There are 2-3 washers/dryers on each level laundry on the Princess ships we have been on. We always pack baggies of laundry soap and a few dryer sheets, just to ensure that we do not have to worry about the dispensers. Awful when you get a washer and there is no soap to buy to add in the vending machine!

The Pacific Princess has only one laundry room (deck 7 aft). You don't need to worry about the laundry soap--it's added automatically to the washer and is included in the wash price. Bring your own dryer sheets if you need them, there aren't any for sale.

We were on the Pacific Princess last month on 28 day B2B. Both times they offered one bag of laundry--all you can stuff in--for $20. The bags are not large as I recall. The laundromat is small--either 3 or 4 machines that cost $1 to wash and $1 to dry. The laundromat is closed between 8PM and 8AM. I did laundry one time per week and it was easy. I put the laundry in the washer at 7:45PM and left it there overnight. At 7:55AM I went in and put the clothes in the dryer. They were fine, the door is locked at night, and there was never an issue. I avoided all crowds this way. Certainly cheaper than a $20 fee for a bag.
Before I was Elite, I went at about 4:30pm and was done in time to dress for a pre-dinner drink. I never had to wait for a washer or dryer.

Princess has never offered a one price fee for all laundry services on any cruise that I've been on.
Actually, on longer cruises, they usually offer a "all you can fit into a bag" specials.

Once in awhile they will offer the $20 bag but don't count on it.
True.

For my recent 20-day cruise with 5-day pre-cruise on the HAL Amsterdam, I brought ONE 25" suitcase and a carry-on, even though I had to pack for temps ranging from 90 degrees to 10 degrees. A 10 - 14-day cruise should be pretty easy to pack efficiently. I plan to bring just one 20" bag for my 7-day cruise in April and a small carry-on.

We've taken advantage of the $20 a bag laundry on cruises lasting 10 days or longer. It's a great service! Our clothes came back clean and beautifully pressed. I'm looking forward to using the service on our next 10 day cruise.

Hi Folks,

If you check Larry's pricing on his recent posting, the prices are fairly current.

As I recall, on our transcanal repo FLL/YVR (15 days) they had a cheapo "one bag" laundry day, however they are generally on cruises longer than the standard 7 and 10 dayers. On our 6 day coastal in May 08 from LAX/YVR on Golden, there was no such deal.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived