Royal Champions

Admin

Originally Posted by BayStateguppy viewpost.gif

"The key to success in viral marketing is to subtly influence the influencers without them overtly realizing they are being influenced," Royal Caribbean's manager for loyalty marketing, Rachel Hannock, told the audience, according to a blog on loyalty marketing written by the Customer Insight Group."

I find it hard to believe that not one RC is offended by RCL's manipulation of them.

Aren't you the least bit frightened that you fell prey to a ploy without ever catching on?

Read the above quote several times.... really read it.

Understand what has happened here. Substitute Philip Morris for RCL if that helps.

You have been played, my friends.

I cannot believe that Ms. Hannock would say something like that in an arena where it can be quoted. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

And I still find it incredible that not one RC is offended by RCL's manipulation of them. That they were being used to to sway unwitting CC members.

Hey, they got something out of it.;) Nobody put a gun to their heads to have them join. They were RC's on here before given the official title, dontcha get it? That is why they were chosen.

"The key to success in viral marketing is to subtly influence the influencers without them overtly realizing they are being influenced," Royal Caribbean's manager for loyalty marketing, Rachel Hannock, told the audience, according to a blog on loyalty marketing written by the Customer Insight Group."

I find it hard to believe that not one RC is offended by RCL's manipulation of them.

Aren't you the least bit frightened that you fell prey to a ploy without ever catching on?

Understand what has happened here. Substitute Philip Morris for RCL if that helps.

And I still find it incredible that not one RC is offended by RCL's manipulation of them. That they were being used to to sway unwitting CC members.

You never noticed the ads? Do you have an ad blocker on? Cruise Critic has never hid that it is a commercial web site. How do you think they pay for the bandwidth to support these forums will all the posts they get every day? It costs money. The alternative to ads would be a membership fee. I doubt that a membership fee model would be successful for this type of forum.

I know that... but I am disturbed by why CC got involved in and continues this RC notification process and how they may be benefitting from it.. That is my point I am raising.

Laura

Since this board does not cost anything to join, I don't think anyone has the right to question how the owners of the board do business. Maybe because I have been posting from the time it was an AOL board, I realize that ALL the posts should be taken with a grain of salt. If you felt this place was "sacred", well, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.:D At least the RC put the title in their siggy. Who is to say that posters who respond to other posts are who they say they are?

You do have the right to question their practices that directly involve their members though.

Laura

The simple way to have handled this right from day one...

Instead of RCI's PR firm asking CC who they thought would be ideal candidates for this scheme...CC admin SHOULD have suggested that the PR firm made a thread that could have been stuck & locked, that had all the information about the scheme, what it was about, who it was for, why it was being done and what benefits (if any) would be made available to those who applied and were successful would get....inside leg measurement of a duck's behind type of thing, have they lay out their entire stall so everyone has the knowledge of what it is all about and then can judge it for themselves. They then would have an email address of the firm concerned on here to apply to directly. The firm would then come back to CC and post the names of all those who had been successful in their application to join in with the scheme.

Had the admin here done that, no-one would have been in the dark about the scheme and no-one would feel the need to justify their membership of the scheme.

CC stuffed it up intially as the chosen few were not looked at in the open, it seems to have been orchestrated behind the scenes and that has now come back to bite them in the stern.

Next time a cruise line or their PR firm asks admin here who they think would be ideal candidates, get that firm to lay out their stall for all to see and for all to discuss and decide about. Might just make life easier for everyone.

Speaking only for myself, it's because I didn't know of the secret group back then. I actually only found out about it a few days ago.

Denise, it has been a non-secret group for almost two years. I certainly have known of it the entire time. Just because you don't know of it doesn't mean it is secret.

jc

Well i think that somes it up - NOT a Mention OF THE THOUSANDS of other members that provide contributions to this site !!

Totally unintentional and my apologies! Thank you as well to those of you who contribute on the Cruise Critic forums and help share your cruise experiences!!!

That's what happens when you publicly praise only some people. It is important to keep that in mind, especially during a topic such as this. You added gasoline to the fire.

I know that... but I am disturbed by why CC got involved in and continues this RC notification process and how they may be benefitting from it.. That is my point I am raising.

Laura

You know that CC and Royal has a special relationship? Such as that Royal is the only cruiseline to sponsor official Cruise critic Meet and Mingle with a link to sign up directly on the CC page?

Has it occured to you that maybe this lack of offense that you keep trying to bring out might have something to do with the fact that no matter what this marketing company, or RCI, or whoever, thinks that they may have accomplished I just keep right on going posting exactly what I think just like I have done since joining this community?

Companies attempt to manipulate our thinking and behavior every day. What do you think that every commercial during your favorite TV show is there for. It isn't for time filler. Is it true that this RC program is an attempt to subtly influence the infuencers? I have no idea. Yes, I have read some of the links provided here. The bottom line is I don't really care. Anyone can attempt to manipulate my thinking. The issue is whether or not they are successful.

When I get back from Adventure next week I will most likely write some positive thoughts on these boards if the cruise lives up to my expectations. If it is a bad week I most likey will post some comments comparing this cruise to my past cruises in an attempt to convey where the down falls were.

Offense. You have got to be kidding me. I have way to many things to deal with in the course of a day than to feel offended over this topic. Lets get real.

Interesting that this got un-stickied.

In any case, I wonder how RC's feel about being used because the most telling aspect of all of this - to me anyway - is the last sentence of the first paragraph of the customer insight group blog that seems to sum it all up: http://www.customerinsightgroup.com/loyaltyblog/?p=46%E2%80%9D

Personally, knowing what I know now, I doubt I would be a willing participant of such a viral team. Again, I learn something new on CC.

Enjoy your cruises everybody!!!!

One thing I could never understand was the many posts on this forum and others from people who identify with one cruise line and either won't cruise on another, or who feel they are betraying a cruise line if they book another cruise line. Cruise lines are a business, not family or friends. Their interest is to return money to their investors, to be loyal to their investors. By doing that they have to market us a product we want to buy since cruises are not a necessity, they are discretionary. And that marketing is going to influence us one way or another.

Maybe those people you mention in your 1st sentence own stock.

I own Target Corp. stock and tend to go there before I choose another discount retailer.

Instead of RCI's PR firm asking CC who they thought would be ideal candidates for this scheme...CC admin SHOULD have suggested that the PR firm made a thread that could have been stuck & locked, that had all the information about the scheme, what it was about, who it was for, why it was being done and what benefits (if any) would be made available to those who applied and were successful would get....inside leg measurement of a duck's behind type of thing, have they lay out their entire stall so everyone has the knowledge of what it is all about and then can judge it for themselves. They then would have an email address of the firm concerned on here to apply to directly. The firm would then come back to CC and post the names of all those who had been successful in their application to join in with the scheme.

Had the admin here done that, no-one would have been in the dark about the scheme and no-one would feel the need to justify their membership of the scheme.

CC stuffed it up intially as the chosen few were not looked at in the open, it seems to have been orchestrated behind the scenes and that has now come back to bite them in the stern.

Next time a cruise line or their PR firm asks admin here who they think would be ideal candidates, get that firm to lay out their stall for all to see and for all to discuss and decide about. Might just make life easier for everyone.

Unfortunately your premise to this post is incorrect which makes the rest of it moot. CC was not asked who they felt would make ideal candidates. CC, apparently, was supplied a list of names from RCI that THEY received from an outside source and asked if they could have their contact information. That is a very different scenario from your beginning statement.

Sometimes I don't mind being played, if I like what I got out of it. KWIM?

Let me make this clear.

CC did not pick who was invited on the inaugurall cruise and did not pick RC members.

I was invited and I am not a Royal Champion.

CC did not even know the two were connected then. The RC designation came later.

CC did not know any expectations from RC members, and either did they.

We seem to be going round and round on this.

CC has stated the facts. Royal Champions have stated the facts.

No one and I mean no one has ever been offered a gift to post anything. No one was ever told what to post. It was looked at as a "thank you" from a cruiseline. Something special like a plate of fruit in your cabin - nothing more.

He said, she said, they said - whatever. The truth is simple and has been stated over and over.

Just my personal opinion here (not that of CC) - it seems that this has blown way out of per portion. Some of you that are coming out of left field with these allegations and assumptions have never paid any attention to the RCCL board before.

Good post.

Hey, they got something out of it.;) Nobody put a gun to their heads to have them join. They were RC's on here before given the official title, dontcha get it? That is why they were chosen.

Oh, I get it, Got2cruise. I love free stuff, too.

But every RC has claimed that they were unaware that there was an agenda on RCL's part. Now that they know this, you would think that they would be at least a little offended.

Instead, there is outrage at those who were the targets of this marketing campaign -- the chumps --- who were often flamed for criticism of RCL or attempts were made to sway their cruising choices based on opinions fueled by free cruises.

If you were not aware of RCL's marketing campaign's agenda.. fine. Then admit to the chumps that you were duped, too, and we'll move on.

If you were aware, then you need to come clean so the chumps can appropriately give your cheerleading the weight it deserves.

You know that CC and Royal has a special relationship? Such as that Royal is the only cruiseline to sponsor official Cruise critic Meet and Mingle with a link to sign up directly on the CC page?

I never thought about that. That is interesting.

Now we know why you are Host Mike. Very well said. I made a similar comment about the circular nature of the postings and it is now to the dead horse point. And since certain foods are not to be mentioned ;) is it now time to put it to rest?

Now we know why you are Host Mike. Very well said. I made a similar comment about the circular nature of the postings and it is now to the dead horse point. And since certain foods are not to be mentioned ;) is it now time to put it to rest?

Certain foods? I don't get it. This must be an inside joke, no?

Has it occured to you that maybe this lack of offense that you keep trying to bring out might have something to do with the fact that no matter what this marketing company, or RCI, or whoever, thinks that they may have accomplished I just keep right on going posting exactly what I think just like I have done since joining this community?

Companies attempt to manipulate our thinking and behavior every day. What do you think that every commercial during your favorite TV show is there for. It isn't for time filler. Is it true that this RC program is an attempt to subtly influence the infuencers? I have no idea. Yes, I have read some of the links provided here. The bottom line is I don't really care. Anyone can attempt to manipulate my thinking. The issue is whether or not they are successful.

When I get back from Adventure next week I will most likely write some positive thoughts on these boards if the cruise lives up to my expectations. If it is a bad week I most likey will post some comments comparing this cruise to my past cruises in an attempt to convey where the down falls were.

Offense. You have got to be kidding me. I have way to many things to deal with in the course of a day than to feel offended over this topic. Lets get real.

But if a certain group of posters attack you for your honest opinions,that is just plain wrong.

If that post has been removed, there is a whole new problem here. That poster made I believe two posts...simply describing her first-hand experience in asking about the RC program, nothing inflammatory, nothing personal, just her experience.

I believe after the denial, wasn't an offer made to get her and her husband in the program?

I read it as a possible example of confusion within corporate RCCL...which we've all seen so often...about policies and programs. But it also spoke to the fact that the Royal Champ strategy on the Internet was no doubt much more valuable to RCCL ..IF THE CRITERIA FOR BEING CHOSEN...remained vague and mysterious. If my analogy of the classroom has not been deleted...that's the best way to see how the pyschology of rewarding a chosen few...without explaining the reasons...does effect the community at large.

Hazence -- I don't know if that post was deleted, I simple didn't have the time or energy to go looking for it, late last night, when I posted. And your memory coincides with mine -- after denials by RCCL that the program existed, after the poster proved to them that it must exist because of posts found here, after being told that people lie in the internet (funny, considering), an RCCL rep, quickly, told her she could be an RC, too.

I do believe that there were only two posts by this D member.

"No one and I mean no one has ever been offered a gift to post anything. No one was ever told what to post. It was looked at as a "thank you" from a cruiseline. Something special like a plate of fruit in your cabin - nothing more." Host Mike.

Thank you, but here's my problem with that statement. The RCCL Loyalty Manager did NOT tell that marketing seminar that the Royal Champ program was a "thank you.", did she? She stated that the intent of the program was to "influence" the Chosen to go forth and influence" the rest of us. Without any of us...presumably CC as well....knowing this was the intention of the program. They monitored this site to keep tabs on both the Champs and the desired results. The cruises were used to draw the interest of the posting Board. Make them curious about how to be "chosen." Make some alter their posting habits for a chance to be chosen.

I doubt RCCL monitors our cabins to see if a free piece of fruit is achieving the desired results.

The monitoring admission shows SOMETHING important was happening on CC. I imagine people were paid to monitor..or taken from other jobs.

Why?

The point is that establishing an elite group WITH NO UNDERSTANDABLE CRITERIA that then receives (in some cases) free cruises and in all cases special status and special invitations DOES set up a Board dynamic in the way it effects many (not all) other posters. That's the reason to "monitor." To make sure it's working.

A the one marketing expert said..people strive to belong to "exclusive" clubs...they give more weight to folks designated as "important." A poster with many cruises across various lines...seems to some others as diminished next to a cruiser that is a Royal Champion here.

The reason this is called a "viral" campaign is because it does "infect" like a virus the dynamic on an internet Board.

RCCL never intended its motives to be in the public domain, did it? If they were about a "thank you"...why not? They can hardly deny now ...something they were most proud of when addressing that Marketing group. Folks who understand this are watching the integrity of their corporate response....not just some here on CC.

RCCL should post the entire text of Ms. Hannock's address to that Marketing Convention. If they were proud of this viral program THERE...be proud enough to share it with the targets...the Champs and Chumps.

Archived