Royal Champions

Admin

Why? There is already no appeal. They don't have any influence over anybody here.

I was thinking of doing a signature like:

Royal Champion = not for sale and not rewarded by any corporation for my "opinion".

I haven't given it enough thought. But I got a chuckle when it first popped into my head.

I ultimately am hoping that usage of such a tag would get newcomers to question the RC signature and would give them an unbiased source.

Just a thought.

Funny you mention it like this...here is my explanation of why you should NOT group a RC into this group.....

Travel agent - You know what you are getting....this person makes money from giving you "advice". Just opening your eyes tells you TA's can lead you to what they may make more money off of (not exactly what you want). This i have no problem with because i know that this could happen, there is nothing hidden from me...i happily accept this and used a ta for our first cruise...then used RCI directly for Oasis.

Diamond Plus - These people (mostly) love royal and as such you understand what you are reading is coming from someone who loves RCI as they have been on so many RCI cruises...again understandable.

Royal Champion - Could possibly get benefits and thus you have no idea if they are on the up and up. Plain and simple.

Joe schmo - Just a person who comes in and says how their vacation went. No incentives.

All of these "types" of information are very different. 3 of the 4 do not bother me...having someone feed a newby like myself bs about a cruise line because they may get perks is not a good idea...actually it is a really stupid idea.

Not that any of this changes my plans..i am gonna enjoy the Oasis but this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

:)

How do you know joe schmo has not hidden agenda... kind of like posters that are admins at other cruise sites, or employees of other cruiselines... how do you know joe schmo is actually joe schmo. Since as someone stated we do not have to undergo background checks you don't actually know what another person is. How do you know when someone is a diamond plus or a travel agent. Only if they identify themselves. They could lie. This whole arguement is so silly and yet so many seem to be sucked right in.

jc

Funny you mention it like this...here is my explanation of why you should NOT group a RC into this group.....

Travel agent - You know what you are getting....this person makes money from giving you "advice". Just opening your eyes tells you TA's can lead you to what they may make more money off of (not exactly what you want). This i have no problem with because i know that this could happen, there is nothing hidden from me...i happily accept this and used a ta for our first cruise...then used RCI directly for Oasis.

Diamond Plus - These people (mostly) love royal and as such you understand what you are reading is coming from someone who loves RCI as they have been on so many RCI cruises...again understandable.

Royal Champion - Could possibly get benefits and thus you have no idea if they are on the up and up. Plain and simple.

Joe schmo - Just a person who comes in and says how their vacation went. No incentives.

All of these "types" of information are very different. 3 of the 4 do not bother me...having someone feed a newby like myself bs about a cruise line because they may get perks is not a good idea...actually it is a really stupid idea.

Not that any of this changes my plans..i am gonna enjoy the Oasis but this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

RCs are under no obligation to feed you anything, and I don't think you can prove that we have. Neither of us can prove whether the RC group collectively has (or has not) been more positive than the average poster, unduly influence people who rely on CC as a source of information, etc., without spending far more time that either of us has to analyze the thousands of posts that have been made on CC in the past 2 years since the RCs came into being. That would be Buzz Metric's (or whatever the company's name is) job...

I get far more perks from RCI by being DP (the same free pre-inaugural as the original RC group, plus others, although the list is shrinking), which may explain why I so adamantly express my conviction that being an RC hasn't done squat to influence my posting habits. I realize that not every RC is in that position, but I would be that there are more D/D+ RCs than not.

And there is no telling who is on the up & up on an anonymous message board. I'm just saying. Although I promise that I am not that anonymous middle aged man sitting his mother's basement...:eek:

No, because the only way you will accept the statement as valid is if you agree with it 100%. Anything else will disregarded and ignored, nor matter how honest it might be.

I'm sure Laura would confirm that isn't true !! you don't even know me !!

jj.....

Paul, let me ask you this. Let's assume you want to take a cruise up the Amazon. Since neither RCCL or Celebrity cruise there, you'll need to take another line. So you look at your options - HAL, Oceania, and Princess. Assume you've never sailed on these lines - how are you going to decide?

You'll probably look for customer reviews to see what others thought of the particular ships that are your options. If you don't seek out feedback, how will you decide? If you're not deciding only on price, then how will you know what is the best choice for your wants and needs?

That's why accurate and truthful reviews are important. What's the point of having reviews on this website if they cannot be trusted to be accurate?

Joe

Accurate and truthfull reviews are important. Whether or not you believe those reviews to be accurate and truthful is completely up to you. That goes for every review that you ever read on any subject delivered by any medium. What makes this website any different?

I was very proud of being on CC, I booked many cruises on what other cruisers said on this site. I spoke about it...to others ......and though I didnt believe everything people said, I felt that what they were saying is how they felt at the moment. I think if RCCL really wanted to locate those people they wanted as their Chamipions they should have mangaged to contact them direct. My feelings toward CC is not the same, the respect for this site is just not there..........but........it's a site.........and take it as that.

I guess my problem is I'm too honest, I look forward to returning home from a cruise to write my review. I wish this didn't happen because people now look at RCCL, & CC differently.

Dorene

I have some questions for you. You state that you have book many cruises based on what you have read on this site. So, what has your personal experience been? What do you feel about the advice that you received here after having gone on the cruises? I expect that the advice was quite helpful or you would have stopped booking cruises based on what you read here. It would have only taken one or two cruises to figure out that the information on these boards is bogus. It would not have taken many cruises.

So the big question is why would your opinion about the advice that you get here change when you have your own personal experience to fall back on when judging the information on these boards?

What is a Royal Champion?

Over the past week there has been heated debate, conjecture, misinformation, and misinterpretation about the Royal Caribbean marketing program called Royal Champions, as a result of how it was portrayed recently on some blogs.

Here is an official statement from Royal Caribbean about the program:

Royal Champions are a small group of passionate travel enthusiasts and prolific individuals, who were identified by an independent third party on behalf of Royal Caribbean International, as frequently engaging in online discussions and sharing information about cruising on the internet. With the proliferation of online social networks, blogs and discussion boards on the internet – many of which serve as forums where vacationers visit consistently in search for travel information and advice – Royal Caribbean decided to engage these enthusiasts knowing that they would be a valuable source of information for our current and prospective customers. Thus in early 2007, in keeping with our legacy of innovation, we initiated a program in which the Royal Champions were invited to learn more about our brand, our ships and our amenities.

We have provided the Royal Champions with the opportunity to experience our product during pre-inaugural sailings so that they can provide their independent opinions in the online spaces they are participating in. On a few occasions, they also have served as focus groups providing us with valuable feedback on a number of topics. Royal Champions have been invited - along with traditional media, top travel partners, and loyal Crown & Anchor Society members - to preview new ships and programs and share their opinions if, when and how they see fit. They are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses, which are not paid by Royal Caribbean. Royal Champions do not receive any compensation for their participation nor do we influence what they share, where they share it, or how they participate in their online discussions.

We are gratified by the enthusiasm these Royal Champions have for cruising and our goal is to continue to incorporate their insights to continually improve the Royal Caribbean vacation experience for all of our guests.

Here is an official statement from Cruise Critic:

Royal Caribbean contacted Cruise Critic and asked us to obtain permission from a group of members they gave us, so that they could extend an invitation to Liberty of the Seas pre-inaugural sailings in May, 2007. We agreed to forward the information on to this group of members, and asked for their permission to share their contact information with Royal Caribbean. This is Cruise Critic's sole involvement in this program. We did not help develop the program, nor did we help choose the participants. At the time of the request there was no formal name associated with this group or program; we were merely asked to forward an invitation to an event on behalf of Royal Caribbean. We received a second, similar request, in October, 2008.

We have absolutely no reason to believe that any Royal Champion has done anything other than express his or her own candid opinion about Royal Caribbean’s products. They share both positive and negative opinions and give helpful advice and information. They did this before they became a Royal Champion and they continued to do so after. As a result, Cruise Critic welcomes them along with any other member who wants to share his or her opinions about Royal Caribbean in this forum.

Some have requested that Cruise Critic have a formal policy requiring Royal Champions to identify themselves as such. While we can suggest that members disclose their affiliations, it’s unrealistic for us to require it and impossible to enforce. We are operating an anonymous online community and there’s no way for us to verify that anyone is or isn’t who they say they are. As a result it will continue to be a policy that we will not require Royal Champions or any member of any other group to identify themselves.

At this time, we have decided that it is not in Cruise Critic’s best interest going forward to contact members on behalf of Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line.

For more information about the Royal Champions program, see Cruise Critic’s Q&A with Bill Hayden, Royal Caribbean’s Associate Vice President of Marketing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18545037&postcount=287

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher, Cruise Critic

This is not going to be popular, but everyone could add Royal Champions to their signature. It would lose it's appeal as no one would know who is a RC or not:eek:

There is a problem with that. A person tried that a few months ago and was lambasted by a Royal Champion. You tell me how that could be if only RCI has a list. Do members of the Royal Champions have a list?

Or is that really a 'friend-pick-friend' program.

I don't know why that's interesting to you, but I don't care.:)

Wouldn't you think that I am interested in this topic? Or else why would I subject myself to all this angst for the past several days? If someone wasn't interested, most likely they wouldn't be participating on this thread. ;)

No not at all and should clarify what you highlighted L: "They are also raising legitimate concerns about the ethics of allowing a viral marketing campaign by members on supposed unbiased boards."

No, but admittedly I could have worded it better. This was my intent:

They are also raising legitimate concerns about the ethics of allowing the use of current members of a supposed unbiased board in a viral marketing campaign.

Sorry if my wording caused difficulty. I think I have made it clear the issue lies with the companies involved. CC has the biggest responsibility in this. Yes this is an internet board, but this is also a company that supposedly has guidlines and integrity of operation.

The biggest difficulty CC has is getting (not necessarily us little posters) people to believe they haven't been in bed with RCI on this. It's a big leap given the history and the lack of acknoledgement on their part. They can't deny they now know this is going on and yet interestingly enough, have not stated the admitted RCI viral marketing campaign used on these threads is against guidlines. That says it all to me.

I appreciate your reply. The wording you used this time was much clearer as to your intent.

Thanks.

Why? There is already no appeal. They don't have any influence over anybody here.

setsail,

I just burst out laughing at your sig line "If you are reading this to find out how many cruises I have,what level I am, or If I am a Royal Commando you are out of luck,as I started many years ago and have lost count. Even C&A has trouble keeping up."

That is hysterical and I feel the same way!!! Way to go! :) :)

What is a Royal Champion?

Over the past week there has been heated debate, conjecture, misinformation, and misinterpretation about the Royal Caribbean marketing program called Royal Champions, as a result of how it was portrayed recently on some blogs.

Here is an official statement from Royal Caribbean about the program:

Royal Champions are a small group of passionate travel enthusiasts and prolific individuals, who were identified by an independent third party on behalf of Royal Caribbean International, as frequently engaging in online discussions and sharing information about cruising on the internet. With the proliferation of online social networks, blogs and discussion boards on the internet – many of which serve as forums where vacationers visit consistently in search for travel information and advice – Royal Caribbean decided to engage these enthusiasts knowing that they would be a valuable source of information for our current and prospective customers. Thus in early 2007, in keeping with our legacy of innovation, we initiated a program in which the Royal Champions were invited to learn more about our brand, our ships and our amenities.

We have provided the Royal Champions with the opportunity to experience our product during pre-inaugural sailings so that they can provide their independent opinions in the online spaces they are participating in. On a few occasions, they also have served as focus groups providing us with valuable feedback on a number of topics. Royal Champions have been invited - along with traditional media, top travel partners, and loyal Crown & Anchor Society members - to preview new ships and programs and share their opinions if, when and how they see fit. They are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses, which are not paid by Royal Caribbean. Royal Champions do not receive any compensation for their participation nor do we influence what they share, where they share it, or how they participate in their online discussions.

We are gratified by the enthusiasm these Royal Champions have for cruising and our goal is to continue to incorporate their insights to continually improve the Royal Caribbean vacation experience for all of our guests.

Here is an official statement from Cruise Critic:

Royal Caribbean contacted Cruise Critic and asked us to obtain permission from a group of members they gave us, so that they could extend an invitation to Liberty of the Seas pre-inaugural sailings in May, 2007. We agreed to forward the information on to this group of members, and asked for their permission to share their contact information with Royal Caribbean. This is Cruise Critic's sole involvement in this program. We did not help develop the program, nor did we help choose the participants. At the time of the request there was no formal name associated with this group or program; we were merely asked to forward an invitation to an event on behalf of Royal Caribbean. We received a second, similar request, in October, 2008.

We have absolutely no reason to believe that any Royal Champion has done anything other than express his or her own candid opinion about Royal Caribbean’s products. They share both positive and negative opinions and give helpful advice and information. They did this before they became a Royal Champion and they continued to do so after. As a result, Cruise Critic welcomes them along with any other member who wants to share his or her opinions about Royal Caribbean in this forum.

Some have requested that Cruise Critic have a formal policy requiring Royal Champions to identify themselves as such. While we can suggest that members disclose their affiliations, it’s unrealistic for us to require it and impossible to enforce. We are operating an anonymous online community and there’s no way for us to verify that anyone is or isn’t who they say they are. As a result it will continue to be a policy that we will not require Royal Champions or any member of any other group to identify themselves.

At this time, we have decided that it is not in Cruise Critic’s best interest going forward to contact members on behalf of Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line.

For more information about the Royal Champions program, see Cruise Critic’s Q&A with Bill Hayden, Royal Caribbean’s Associate Vice President of Marketing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18545037&postcount=287

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher, Cruise Critic

Should I really get into this post? :eek:

Again, no word on the selection process, like details.

Enthusiasts? What does that include? Someone with 200 posts or someone with 10,000. A Gold member with one cruise? :eek:

And if you want just enthusiasts why not pick only new cruisers? Do you really have to invite DPs to ve RCs to 'learn' about the product?

This is becoming hilarious. Actually quite sad. Such easy questions yet no answers.

Thank you for the reply Kathleen - i feel CC have taken a step forward and i must give credit were credit is due.

Kathleen would you see a time when CC would adopt this ( from Tripadvisor )

"No. Property owners are welcome to encourage their guests to submit user reviews upon their return home but they are not allowed to offer incentives, discounts, upgrades, or special treatment on current or future stays in exchange for positive reviews. If someone has offered you an incentive for a review, you should tell us about it."

To Royal Caribbean you have lost a lot of credibility - you're marketing on this issue was underhanded and the best thing for you to do would be to end the program !!

To the Champs - i don't hate you i feel sorry that you have been used, your posts will be studied because some feel your impartiality has been bought.

jj.....

There is a problem with that. A person tried that a few months ago and was lambasted by a Royal Champion. You tell me how that could be if only RCI has a list. Do members of the Royal Champions have a list?

Or is that really a 'friend-pick-friend' program.

You bring up a good point! If 1 month from now or 6 months I added Royal Champions to my signature, I would be astounded if someone challenged me on my validity unless there was a llist. I hope it is not a 'friend-pick-friend' program. Madoff had friends too:eek:

Paul, let me ask you this. Let's assume you want to take a cruise up the Amazon. Since neither RCCL or Celebrity cruise there, you'll need to take another line. So you look at your options - HAL, Oceania, and Princess. Assume you've never sailed on these lines - how are you going to decide?

You'll probably look for customer reviews to see what others thought of the particular ships that are your options. If you don't seek out feedback, how will you decide? If you're not deciding only on price, then how will you know what is the best choice for your wants and needs?

That's why accurate and truthful reviews are important. What's the point of having reviews on this website if they cannot be trusted to be accurate?

Joe

You have explained exactly how I have been feeling about this whole thing. :)

Well this is certainly an interesting way to get your post count up;) Just to throw my two cents in;

I'm not jealous that I did not get invited to the super-secret RC club and that I was not present when they were passing out the ultra-elite homing device decoder rings;)

I'm also not suspicious or tempted to do a credit/background check whenever someone writes a positive or negative review about anything concerning RCI;)

I don't count my interactions with the posters on this board as "talking with my friends". I am sharing and receiving information with posters whose monikers and signatures do not sway me in any way, shape, or fashion (honestly I don't usually pay attention to the signatures). So subsequently I do not get my feelings hurt by the posters on this board.

And lastly I do not personalize my time spent on CC, which at the end of the day is simply a social media.

I do:

Gravitate to specific posters whose information has been helpful.

Answer questions that I have first hand knowledge of (and leave the unknown to the experts)

Get amused at some of the stories, responses, and opinions that I read on this board.

Follow my heart and my intuition when deciding what to do with my discretionary vacation income and who should receive it.

Just imagine if we were able to harness all of the passion and emotion that has ben poured into this topic over the past several days and create something really meaningful:rolleyes:

But did you ask your TA which line has given her/him the most perks? How many ships has she been invited aboard? Does one cruise line give her a bigger commission than another? For that matter, has she ever stepped foot aboard any ship? What information is she going by to determine which cruise line and ship best meets your interests? I do see your point about the fact that you know up front that you should be "suspect" of any information that a TA gives you because you already know that she is getting paid. But what about all the other parameters that affect her thought process that you no nothing about? Getting paid is one aspect of a much bigger picture.

I am both an RC as well as a Platinum Crown and Anchor member. Are my posts ok because I fall into one of the acceptable classes that you mention above or are they suspect because I also fall into that one unmentionable group? What about all the other aspects about me that you know nothing about? Am I similar enough to you in my values, likes and dislikes, that my opinion of a cruise should make any difference to you anyway?

Maybe the best outcome of this whole issue is it is now out in the open that such tactics are attempted by big corporations. Perhaps that will train us all to read every review with a more critical eye whether it is on CC, Amazon, a magazine or anywhere else.

I hope you have a great time on Oasis. I say that as a C&A member not as an RC.:D

The RCs were picked for past posting. IE they were picked because of what they had posted in the past, they were not required or asked to post anything in the future.

I think this is a very valid point, and one that should be remembered. They were chosen based on their prior posts, and the fact they were posting on the particular day or days that RCI was monitoring. They were loyalists long before this program. The people who are "RC's" are people we've all known on these boards for years. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still just don't see the big deal. In fact, I say; Good for them!

Heck, one of the "RC's" is 14 and doesn't even pay for his cruises. :rolleyes:

ps.....no, I am not a RC!

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher, Cruise Critic

Kathleen, thank you for your response.

Mistakes happen at times and no organization is perfect. I am happy to see that Cruise Critic realizes that cruise lines rewarding posters for positive comments on your forums is not in the best interest of your company.

I am glad you have made the decision to nip the "Royal Champions" in the bud and not let it spread beyond the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara boards on Cruise Critic.

Joe

It's true, you do know a TA may push you toward a cruise they could make more money off but most people know what they want before calling a TA also and the TA just books what they want. Few would argue with a client and say "this line is better then that" just to make a little more commission as most work for all the cruise

lines. Mine would take my transfer on anything, he could care less what cruise I book:)

Well when people come to the RCCL cruise board they have to expect people to be talking about RCCL and to cruise RCCL. We are not on the RCCL board talking about other cruiselines NORMALLY:D So if you come here you have to expect to read posts from seasoned RCCL cruisers like the D plus member so you are right it's understandable

Well here's the answer for this too as I see it, Those of us in the second group that were selected in 2008 to be Royal Champions have not received any compensation from RCCL at all. We received this email last week from RCCL and according to this we will NOT receive any compensation from RCCL and if we choose to attend a special invitation only RCCL event we know we will pay for that priviledge. So we are on the up and up as we will not receive anything. It's completely up to you who to trust on CC of course but I was D plus before being selected in Sept. so you know I really like to sail RCCL or I would not be D plus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a brief summary about the Royal Champions program.

We have provided the Royal Champions with the opportunity to experience our product during inaugural sailings so that they can provide their opinions and informed reviews in the online spaces they are participating in. On a few occasions, they also have served as focus groups providing us with valuable feedback on a number of topics. Royal Champions have been invited - along with traditional media, top travel partners, and loyal Crown & Anchor Society members - to preview new ships and programs and share their opinions if, when and how they see fit. They are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses, which are not paid by Royal Caribbean. Royal Champions do not receive any compensation for their participation nor do we influence what they share or how they participate in their online discussions.

Well I think we are all Joe Schmo's at this point because no one is getting any incentives/compensation according to RCCL now. In this economy few of us if any will be able to afford to attend the events unless we live close by to where they are held and then we'd still have to have money to spend at the event so I just do not see a lot of people going to those things right now. What has happened in the past with the first group of RC's I cannot say as I was not there but in my opinion the above email explains how it will be now. In the Charter Members defense I will say that they did post how they were selected and what they received on CC and if you put Royal Champion in search on CC you will find the old threads and read where they did explain it. Someone else posted the link the other day and it is true so they did not hide anything and most do have it in their sigs as well from what I can see.

It is true I guess that RC's will have a chance to see things not available to the general public but if we choose to pay and attend an event we'll be standing there with hundreds of media people and hundreds of TA's so not exactly a big secret:) Many times on CC a TA will post an upcoming sales event or specials before RCCL makes flyers available to the public or you may read their view of a new ship they just viewed so the RC's will not have any other advantage then a TA.

I have posted several times on this thread that I think the RC program should only be given to D plus members as a perk so it takes the mystery out of the selection process, it avoids hurting people's feeling as they know if they keep cruising RCCL they will be a RC too when they reach D plus level. We already get plenty of perks as C & A members and when and if RCCL cuts anything believe me you hear about it on CC and people are not happy. So if you cruise RCCL you really do come to expect C & A perks the more you cruise.

I hope you have a great cruise on the Oasis! Do not let this mess taint a great vacation as it's just not worth it. CC represents less then 5% of cruisers so you will be on a ship with thousands of people most of who have no idea what CC is or who RC's are or anything else. They just want to have fun on a cruise period. :) People on here have different opinions which is just human nature, judge for yourself what is good advice and what is not. You are not going to find people worrying about all of this or talking about it on the ship. They are way too busy enjoying themselves! :D

• Administrators
Kathleen, thank you for your response.

Mistakes happen at times and no organization is perfect. I am happy to see that Cruise Critic realizes that cruise lines rewarding posters for positive comments on your forums is not in the best interest of your company.

Joe

No where did she say that. You are putting words in her "MOUTH" so to speak. She did not state any reason why it wasn't in our best interest, she just stated that it wasn't and you shouldn't be reading anything more into it.

This Royal Champion label has caused more animostity than it is worth. We are not stupid. I believe this is a Royal Backfire! The label will never die as those that have it will cherish it till the end. Again, I think I will add it to my signature to null the effectivness.

Thank you Kathleen Tucker. But how do you plan to nip it in the bud!

Archived