Celebrity Cruise (Nightmare)

MIKES3

some basic rules that probably wouldn't have helped:

1) Cross pack...put some clothes in each suitcase;

2) Pack duplicate medications in different bags;

3) Carry an extra day's clothes and critical toiletries in your carry-on

4) Watch your bags to make sure they are securely with other bags...not sitting on the sidewalk

5) Buy Celebrity's trip insurance...it's about as cheap as you can get and helps if there is a problem like this....or if you just want to cancel at the last minute.

Having said that, in this case Celebrity really is at fault for not getting that bag to you at the first stop...whether by contract or by business ethics. They didn't do that....so it seems to me that they should reimburse you for any expenses incurred...and they should give you a significant credit (maybe 1/2) towards another cruise in part because they did so little to help...and in part because you could not enjoy the cruise.

For me, I draw the line at the first stop...when the bag didn't get to you. Celebrity can understandably say they aren't responsible for the luggage reaching the ship...but after you reported it, they should have found it and had it sent to meet the ship at the first stop. They dropped the ball....the shipboard personnel dropped the ball. After the first stop, in my mind, it became 100% their problem and they should have provided you with clothes, etc so you could enjoy the rest of the trip.

I think one of the questions you should ask the celebrity exec that you finally speak to is: "I do not want to leave my luggage with port personnel or Celebrity agents when Celebrity doesn't take responsibility for those agents. In the future, I want to leave it with celebrity personnel...so this doesn't happen again. How do I do that? Force that answer.....because the answer is...you can't...and that's why Celebrity is really responsible, no matter what your agreement says.

some basic rules that probably wouldn't have helped:

1) Cross pack...put some clothes in each suitcase;

2) Pack duplicate medications in different bags;

3) Carry an extra day's clothes and critical toiletries in your carry-on

4) Watch your bags to make sure they are securely with other bags...not sitting on the sidewalk

5) Buy Celebrity's trip insurance...it's about as cheap as you can get and helps if there is a problem like this....or if you just want to cancel at the last minute.

A couple thoughts on your list. I agree with most but have these couple additions.....

2) Do NOT pack any meds in any bag but your personal carry-on WITH all your other valuables. You can carry a list of the meds you use in your suitcase, but never let the carry-on out of your hands. We always carry 4 days extra of important meds in case of travel delays.

3) Do not buy Celebrity ( or any TA offered) insurance if you have special needs or concerns! Their policy is a one size fits all policy. Doesn't cover pre exisiting conditions for the traveler (or those left at home), doesn't allow for the potentially very expensive emergency transport or to be taken to a hospital of your choice directly home. AND... You can get the same coverage the TA/cruiselines sell for less by buying privately.

Yes ,cross pack a couple outfits and I always carry my makeup in my carry-on. Gotta have that and my own hair drier! :)

The OP wrote a post which shows how " 'things' happen"...and certainly isn't restricted to X.

I certainly can not agree with Paulred or Ghstudio. First of all, it does matter what the contract says. And it matters what statutes say about common carriers. Whatever that may be, I am sure it does not include a "first stop" clause. The fact is, no one knows what became of the luggage after it fell off the conveyor, nor is there any assurance (or likelihood) that the best intentioned Celebrity employee could have located it. I think it is foolish to assert this is clearly Celebrity's responsibility, after the first port or the third.

That having been said, I am surprised Celebrity was not more forthcoming in providing more relief during the cruise itself. Not because of legal responsibilities, of which there are probably none, but because our experiences with Celebrity (not including lost luggage, thankfully) would have led us to believe they would be more generous in making sure the cruise was successful for all its passengers.

OP, I have great sympathy for your experience. I hope she says yes.

Bill

Yes. It is very hard to get an answer when the line can't get one from the port authority who handle the luggage.

They have t have the port agent get right after them or at the least have someone watching the loading process and known problem points for luggage going in a different direction.

If the port authority stonewalls the line there is little anyone from the line can do to get a satisfactory answer to any question on this subject.

Lost luggage at the pier and the planes is usually the biggest thing - no in control of the ship company.

In over 20 plus cruises the only thing we have misplaced is one bag - but it looked like the same one a person a few cabins down had - switched just before dinner.

Not counting the times my sister in law removed the tage and sent the bags out on departure day. Then off to lost and found. But nothing was lost there it was.

I'd say the most tense period of any cruise is waiting for our bags to appear at our cabin prior to the ship leaving port; once past that "hold your breath and pray stage," we can relax and everything else seems manageable.

I've always thought it interesting that we would ever think of leaving our bags unattended on the sidewalk at the airport without getting a claim check and seeing those bags placed on the conveyor. Nor would we ever imagine leaving our bags unattended in the middle of a hotel lobby or a train station. Yet when we cruise, we've somehow been conditioned to do it their way, never thinking twice about turning our bags over to longshoremen at the pier without benefit of a claim tag or actually seeing those bags moving en route toward their final destination. That only a small percentage of bags actually gets "lost" is nothing short of a miracle. Of course, that doesn't help those whose bags arrive three days late or never make it onboard but it is something to think about.

Hello,

I just got back 2 weeks ago. My girlfriend and I went on a 5 day cruise with Celebrity Century.

My daughter went on the same cruise. Luggage slipped under the converyor in Miami. It was retrieved when they returned. (She at least did not tip the porter.)

She reports that on board staff were more than helpful and that credits were made available readily. Bills submitted from a speed shopping trip in Key West were paid promptly.

Hmmm???

Hi Mikes3 !

Some time ago, My Nephew's luggage was lost. I thought Celebrity was extremely considerate, and did far more than they should have. In his case, his luggage went from port to port, and kept missing the ship. I think it arrived on Day 7 or 8, of a 10 day Cruise.

That's what Bradley, the concierge, who help get my bag to the ship at the second stop (Gibraltar) on my Dec.08 Century TA suggested since there wasn't a local airport near the 1st stop (Catagena). He indicated that had been a problem there in the past and didn't want this to happen my bag.

I'm working on trying to setup a 3 day cruise with another cruise line. Along with that I want to propose to her. I'm glad I didnt plan for that cruise.

Mikes3 - I am very sorry to hear about your nightmare trip. It sounds like you have some very nice travel plans in the works for a future cruise. Best wishes on the proposal.:)

Also thank you for the luggage info - I will now be rethinking how I pack our two carry on bags! :eek:

I agree the letter is too long. Also I think that you are expecting too much compensation. Most cruise lines will over a credit to be used on a future cruise as a goodwill offer for anything above the contractual amount that is owed. So shorten the letter and clearly state what will be acceptable and be reasonable (an unreasonable request will result in nothing but the contractual requirement).

All travelers face the possibility of lost luggage. That is why the system and the contracts are written the way they are. The limit per bag is very low to encourage people to carry valuables or leave them at home. That's how the airlines, hotels, cruise lines, etc. can stay in business. That is also why travel insurance is available. Getting mad at a particular carrier for not doing more than normal business procedures won't change the system. Learn to deal with it the way it is.

Please keep us posted on how things go. Good Luck.

He sent up 2 blue packages which contained men’s deodorant, a comb, men’s shaving cream, 2 toothbrushes (one for a child), a men’s razor and also 2 Celebrity Cruise t-shirts. I was not very happy with that package, but I assumed it was for the night and I was hoping my bag would be returned to me when I woke up the next day.

My Boyfriend and I went and got a swimsuit that was very inappropriate due to the size, I normally do not wear a two piece at all, but that was my only option, and we went to CVS we bought only the basics in hopes that my luggage would return. I got a tee shirt for $20.96, the swimsuit cost $36.00 for top and $34.00 for the bottoms and I also got a tee shirt there for $19.50, I got a beach bag to carry our towels and money in because that was also in my luggage and that was $10.62, a pair of shorts to wear with my swimsuit for $19.95, another tee shirt for $14.95 and then my purchase at CVS was $228.07. My total spent was $384.05 and that does not include tax. I am sure you can understand why I was furious at this point; it is absolutely ridiculous that I would have to spend almost an extra $400.00 on vacation because the cruise line I put my trust into lost my luggage!

IMO it was you and your boyfriend that ruined your own vacation with the way you carried on. Like I posted previously my bag didn't make it to the Century for our 14 night TA cruise last Dec. which we had to fly oversea on an overnight flight to get to. Bradley, Century's concierge was extremely helpful and I didn't hound him like you did. Sure I had to launder a few pairs of my underwear, but heck I was on a dream cruise and I didn't let that ruin my cruise. I wore the t-shirt Bradley gave me, had one other in my carry on bag and bought one other on board (at a much lower cost that any of the shirts you bought) that I didn't asks for payment for from Swiss Air even though Bradley offered me the form to send to them for compensation. They comped me a tuxes so I could go well dressed to the first formal night in the MDR and allowed me to keep it for the rest of the cruise even after my bag arrived late in the afternoon on the third day. I agree, as my DW said, it is better that the man's bag not arrive if such a situation should arise.

My point is that after you got 2 t-shirts from X, you went out and bought 3 more for about $56 plus tax saying that was just the basis needs if your bag should arrive the next (third) day on board a five night cruise.

During my discussion with Bradley he said mine was one of 80 pieces of luggage that he was following up on that didn't make it to our cruise. IMO this happens quite often.

We couldn't do any of the dinners because she didn't have the proper attire. No matter what my GF refused because she had no make up nothing at that time. I'm sure you ladies can understand that regarding a formal dinner.

On our Radiance Hawaii cruise last May there were quite a few folks who had stayed at a San Diego hotel booked through RC that didn't get their luggage because it was left at the hotel. RC were suppose to sent the luggage in a separate truck to our embarkation port, Ensenada. All passengers were bussed there from S.D. by RC. The first port on this cruise was Maui after five sea days and six evenings on board.

There was one couple who showed up at the Captain's reception in their RC bath robes and t-shirts. He had been offered a tuxes but wouldn't go with it since DW didn't have anything fancy to wear so they had a real hoot with their situation. They were introduced to Capt. Andersen like that, who of course knew what had happened, so he nor any of the other staff in the reception line, didn't react any differently with them then any other guest although we weren't close enough to hear what was said. They also went to the MDR for the formal supper dress like that. It gave all of my group a laugh and I wasn't thinking quick enough as I didn't take a photograph of them with the captain with my camera I had with me.

Like I said , it's all a matter of your attitude.

IMO it was you and your boyfriend that ruined your own vacation with the way you carried on. Like I posted previously my bag didn't make it to the Century for our 14 night TA cruise last Dec. which we had to fly oversea on an overnight flight. Bradley, Century's concierge was extremely helpful and I didn't hound him like you did. Sure I had to launder a few pairs of my underwear, but heck I was on a dream cruise and I didn't let that ruin my cruise. I wore the t-shirt Bradley gave me, had one other in my carry on bag and bought one other on board (at a much lower cost that any of the shirts you bought) that I didn't asks for payment for from Swiss Air even though Bradley offered me the form to send to them for compensation. They comped me a tuxes so I could go well dressed to the first formal night in the MDR and allowed me to keep it for the rest of the cruise even after my bag arrived late in the afternoon on the third day. I agree as my DW said it is better that the man's bag not arrive if such a situation should arise.

My point is that after you got 2 t-shirts from X, you went out and bought 3 more for about $56 plus tax saying that was just the basis needs if your bag should arrive the next (third) day on board a five night cruise.

During my discussion with Bradley he said mine was one of 80 pieces of luggage that he was following up on that didn't make it to our cruise. IMO this happens quite often.

On our Radiance Hawaii cruise last May there were quite a few folks who had stayed at a San Diego hotel booked through RC that didn't get their luggage because it was left at the hotel. RC were suppose to sent the luggage in a separate truck to our embarkation port, Ensenada. All passengers were bussed there from S.D. by RC. The first port on this cruise was Maui after five sea days and six evenings on board.

There was one couple who showed up at the Captain's reception in their RC bath robes and t-shirts. They were introduced to Capt. Andersen like that, who of course knew what had happened, so he nor any of the other staff in the reception line, didn't react any differently with them then any other guest. They also went to the MDR for the formal supper dress like that. It gave all of my group a laugh and I wasn't thinking quick enough as I didn't take a photograph of them with the captain with my camera I had with me.

Like I said , it's all a matter of your attitude.

I just don't see the humor in parading into the dining room in bathrobes. Every cruise we've been on it seems that one table seems to think that this will be hilarious...not all of these have had luggage issues.

If you don't have proper attire, eat in your cabin or at the alternative site at the buffet. Since your view is that it was the original poster's fault that they did not have proper clothing due to the lost luggage thing, then why should anyone in their situation be allowed to eat in the dining room? If it wasn't Celebrity's fault, then why should Celebrity allow the robe parade?

Regards

really sorry about what happened. I would not have fared well either. (although my toiletries, medications, and make up are always in a carry on) Shorter letters have better results. Just the facts, and then ASK for exactly what you want for compensation. All they can say is no, and then come back with what they will do. (dont expect very much)

My daughter went on the same cruise. Luggage slipped under the converyor in Miami. It was retrieved when they returned. (She at least did not tip the porter.)

She reports that on board staff were more than helpful and that credits were made available readily. Bills submitted from a speed shopping trip in Key West were paid promptly.

Hmmm???

very interesting...;)

Everyone was aware that we could not attend the dinners so then why did I not get the option to have that menu given to us as room service, or maybe they could of set up a table for us on the deck to be able to enjoy what the ship had to offer besides the same buffet everyday or the same room service.

I don't understand this one. Surely on Celebrity anyone can ask their room steward for the evening dining room menu and order room service off this, we certainly have. Alternatively there is the casual dining in the cafeteria. Personally I would have still used the dining room... other posters here have said that in similar circumstances their table companions are very understanding over such a breach of attire etiquette.

I thought it was a condition of cruising with Celebrity that you have adequate travel insurance. It certainly is in the UK where we have to inform our TA of our policy details if we do not take Celebrity's insurance.

I just don't see the humor in parading into the dining room in bathrobes. Every cruise we've been on it seems that one table seems to think that this will be hilarious...not all of these have had luggage issues.

If you don't have proper attire, eat in your cabin or at the alternative site at the buffet. Since your view is that it was the original poster's fault that they did not have proper clothing due to the lost luggage thing, then why should anyone in their situation be allowed to eat in the dining room? If it wasn't Celebrity's fault, then why should Celebrity allow the robe parade?

Regards

I haven't really seen this before on any of my cruises but did see people in the MDR wearing bed sheets on Toga Night while on a Costa Cruise and some very ripped and with plenty of holes blue jeans on other cruises including our last one.

I didn't say it was the OP girlfriend's fault that they didn't have her clothes, it was X's fault. I did say it was their attitude that ruined their cruise.

In the situation of my delayed luggage for our Century TA if I hadn't had the tuxes, I would have gone to the formal night in the best clothes I had. In my case it wasn't X's fault nor my fault that I didn't have my bag , it was Swiss Air's. I am not going to miss eating in the MDR, which is one of the events DW and I like the most on a cruise, because of not having the proper attire through no fault of my own because of what you think is proper for the situation. If it was the cruise line's fault that my luggage was lost, that would give me more reason to do so.

I agree people should wear the proper attire in the MDR if at all possible.

You certainly missed the point with the Hawaiian cruise incident I mentioned is that couple were making a very visible statement about the situation they found themselves because of what RC or their agents didn't do and were paid to do as part of the pre-cruise hotel package.

I would have gone to the main dining room for dinner. Your girlfriend's letter said she had a skirt, albeit a denim one.

Whenever I see people inappropriately dressed at dinner, I want to go up to them and ask if they're the poor folks whose luggage was not delivered. I have managed to forego this temptation.

my purchase at CVS was $228.07.

I'm sorry that her luggage got lost, but I just have to say: Gosh, what on earth did your girlfriend buy?!:eek: An emergency purchase of makeup, shampoo and toothbrush is one thing, but wow!

It's too bad that the Celebrity staff didn't tell you that there is a Ross Dress for Less and a WalMart just a short taxi ride away from the pier in Key West. I learned this the hard way after my DH left all his shirts in our pre-cruise hotel!

Lisa

Hopefully you will pick up on the cross packing and trip insurance tips for your next cruise. Good luck with planning.

I would also recommend condensing the letter to one page which summarizes the problem. You can then add a bullet item timeline including names as an attachment which will give the additional information that you have included. They can then read the letter and refer to the attachment if necessary. I personally would pass over such a long letter.

That was some horror story I'm confused did you Sail Royal Carribbean or Celebrity

I am cruising in Sept and I will only take luggage that I can carry on so that there will be no issues with lost luggage this is the safest way

Hopefully you will pick up on the cross packing and trip insurance tips for your next cruise. Good luck with planning.

I would also recommend condensing the letter to one page which summarizes the problem. You can then add a bullet item timeline including names as an attachment which will give the additional information that you have included. They can then read the letter and refer to the attachment if necessary. I personally would pass over such a long letter.

I agree and leave off all the threats about you and everyone you know not cruising with RCCI again.

A couple thoughts on your list. I agree with most but have these couple additions.....

2) Do NOT pack any meds in any bag but your personal carry-on WITH all your other valuables. You can carry a list of the meds you use in your suitcase, but never let the carry-on out of your hands. We always carry 4 days extra of important meds in case of travel delays.

3) Do not buy Celebrity ( or any TA offered) insurance if you have special needs or concerns! Their policy is a one size fits all policy. Doesn't cover pre exisiting conditions for the traveler (or those left at home), doesn't allow for the potentially very expensive emergency transport or to be taken to a hospital of your choice directly home. AND... You can get the same coverage the TA/cruiselines sell for less by buying privately.

Yes ,cross pack a couple outfits and I always carry my makeup in my carry-on. Gotta have that and my own hair drier! :)

The OP wrote a post which shows how " 'things' happen"...and certainly isn't restricted to X.

I disagree...I always pack duplicate meds in my suitcase and in my carry-on. Things happen....pills fall out during security search, bag gets left behind..though spouse was watchng, etc. Better safe than VERY sorry. Agree on taking extra meds

Celebrity insurance DOES cover pre-existing conditions that are stable...and they do cover medical evacuation insurance up to $25K. Read the policy. No, they don't cover transportation back to the hospital of your choice....I doubt any plan will. If you are in South America, they will fly you to Miami or equivalent. If you want to go to the Mayo Clinic, good luck.

And no other policy lets you just cancel and gives you a 75% credit towards a future cruise. Big $$ deal comes up, you might just want to cancel (I have).

Archived