"Survey": Has the recession caused you to cancel?

We booked and paid for our August 09 cruise in March 09. Right now I am the only one in the family working and I do not make much but I have no plans to cancel. I need a mental health vacation - I have not taken a vacation in over 2 years. Even though there are talks that I may be laid off soon I am still going to go.:D

No, we actually booked a 10 day cruise. The prices were so good that we booked a balcony instead of a oceanview for the first time. We would book more cruises, except the airfare from the midwest is close to the cost the cruise!

We (husband and wife) are sailing RCL in November out of Baltimore. "Going cheap" was and is the plan. We have an interior room and we are driving to Baltimore from New Jersey (three hour drive). No airfare and no need to get there the day before. Parking is $15.00 a day. I have a company car with gas card so there is no fuel cost. I have RCL stock so I get a $100.00 shipboard credit. My wife and I will take a few excursions but I still think I can do the nine nights for $2,500.00 including the recommended tips plus extra.

The only other extra might be a fuel supplement charge as the price of fuel could be over $65.00 a barrel in September. That would add $180.00 to the cost.

A trip to the Caribbean is better than a so called STAYCATION.

Most people are not personally effected by the recession, yet. The main problem is that lots of people know that there is a recession and because of that also those who still aren't effected spend less than before and because of that the recession continues!

One good sign is that our currency, the Swedish krona, has become stronger compared to the US dollar and Euro recently and that can mean that lots of people think that the worst is over! It's still to early to know if they are right or wrong!

As for the question, I should not cancel a cruise because of a recession. Before I book a cruise I think about if I can afford it even if the worst things happen and if the answer is yes, I book the cruise! If I should loose my job shouldn't matter because I should still wanna cruise and I shouldn't have booked it from the beginning if I couldn't go if I should loose my job.

We cancelled our Mexican Riviera spring break cruise b/c DH got laid off, but then were seriously eyeing a Thanksgiving Carribean cruise (he found work) until my 82YO MIL said she'd really like to go to Japan (place of her birth) one more time. Now we're thinking of schlepping all 5 of us over there instead. Of course if the work dries up everything will change again.

Seems like if you have a job, it's a GREAT time to find bargains. If you don't, it doesn't matter how good the deals are.

The bolded part is SO true, and not only for cruising.

I am lucky and not hit by the economy, nor is my family. We're going on a Med cruise instead of a land vacation because it's cheaper, my brother got a great deal on the house he bought, ...

But when you then lose your job, it all changes 180°

Final payment is due in October, but don't plan on cancelling anything regarding cruising, even if I lose my job...I have a good savings for any unplanned unemployment, and if anything is cancelled it would be my dive trip to Fiji next year, instead (which costs more than double, but not quite triple my cruise sailing solo in a balcony for 7 days). teehee.gif

Last year we cancelled a MWA cruise that was paid in full, because we couldn't afford the air fare when gas prices peaked. Sweetums had surgery for his cancer and that threw us back quite a lot. We ended up going on Carnival which we could drive from Atlanta to Florida and learned a new way to cruise. This year I took a cut in pay to keep my job, and Sweetums' company has merged with another company. We are doing Carnival again in January. If I don't have a job, well it's paid for and I'm going!

Archived