"Survey": Has the recession caused you to cancel?

No, we haven't cancelled, but we did book with certain factors in mind. We orginally wanted a 12 night Mediterranian cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We cut it down to 7 to save cost and just to not be away from our jobs for so long in this economy. We used freq. flyer miles, won't run up a bar bill, won't do much shopping, booked private tours with other roll call members to drastically save money on excursions, and took out insurance in case something does happen.

We were pleasantly surprised at the cost of the cruise (NCL - Gem out of Barcelona). Far cheaper than the Caribbean. We were prepared to cancel prior to final payment if jobs looked rocky at that point in time.

We booked in January 2009 for 2010 and don't make final payment until November, but plan on going regardless of the economy. We are on the Rotterdam (33 days) to Tahiti and though costly, it is a dream cruise and I don't think we can afford to wait until later are until things get better for health and age reasons. We want to be able to enjoy it while we're able. The reason we booked so early was to get the deck and class we wanted, which I understand is already sold out.

We cancelled our Mexican Riviera spring break cruise b/c DH got laid off, but then were seriously eyeing a Thanksgiving Carribean cruise (he found work) until my 82YO MIL said she'd really like to go to Japan (place of her birth) one more time. Now we're thinking of schlepping all 5 of us over there instead. Of course if the work dries up everything will change again.

Seems like if you have a job, it's a GREAT time to find bargains. If you don't, it doesn't matter how good the deals are.

Well - Hubby did get layed off, and we are going on a cruise. Have to say we orginally had a 7 night AI booked in Mexico. We cancelled those plans and booked a 4 night out of Miami, with the plan to add 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale post cruise. Both went back and forth as to if we should really be taking a vacation. But you know I am still working and need a break - lol So we have cut back on pre-cruise shopping, eating out, and saving our pennies for the cruise. Booked priceline hotel, driving a little further for less expensive flights. This vacation has actually turned out to be a challenge for me to see how little we actually spend. (without taking from our fun :) )

We haven't cancelled and we won't be. The only impact the recession has had on us has been my DH didn't receive a raise this year. We are both in very secure jobs and our financial situation has had no negative impact.

Final payment isn't due until late summer/early fall but we paid in full a few months ago.

We retired last year and saw savings/stock decline 30% and house is worth $100,000 less than 2 years ago. My thing is I hope I live long enough to be as rich as I once was. Still cruising and land vacations but traveling a little cheaper and pinching pennies where we can. So Blessed with pensions/annuities and able to retire at 60.

The recession actually caused me to book. We usually do coach tours but our tour was cancelled due to the recession. Rather than try and book another coach tour I decided to book a cruise. I felt that it was far more likely that a cruise would not be cancelled. In fact I have now booked two cruises.

I waited until after the final payment dates for the last six cruises we've been on. The most recent was on HAL's Westerdam last month. I booked it in January. I booked our December cruise on Celebrity's Century about four weeks before we left.

The last cruise we booked before final payment date was in December 2003. I booked it while on a Princess ship in August that year. Since it was between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the price was already ridiculously low--under $600 pp for a BA balcony on the Caribe deck.

My DH's job for the summer is in limbo. If he doesn't end up in a full-time faculty position for the summer sessions at his community college, he'll still be teaching a couple of online courses. With our free Internet package on Princess ships, we may be able to add another Alaskan cruise over the summer since he'd be able to check on his students from the ship.

No Infact I booked 3 more cruises since this recession started. I am blest to be working for myself... my husband is blest to have a great job and i have alittle side job to help me with my slots.. when we go.

I am blest to see that I have saved my hard earned money to find the best deal i can find... I keep on checking and when i felt it was the right price i wanted to pay we went for it.

I can not wait for the Oasis... that is the big girl I am hoping to see.

Red:D

It comes out of my paycheck-direct deposit to my vacation club at my bank! My mom always said "Pay yourself first!" A little at a time adds up! Also, we don't have the rude realization that we don't have money saved to pay for that lovely "on board account bill" they slide under your door! Geez like the end of the cruise wasn't a bummer as it is!!

We have no plans financially of cancelling our 2 booked cruises. Nov/09 and April/10. We also plan to cruise in Jan/Feb 10, but will wait for some of the last minute specials to book. Since we have cruised many places, the place isn't as important now as the price. We love to cruise!

We didn't cancel but we definitely downgraded. We were planning on taking a one week trip to Jamaica and instead are now doing a 7 day cruise with Carnival. Also, our cruise is leaving out of Baltimore, MD so that saved us money in airfare. All together, I think we're saving about $1,500.:D

• 2 weeks later...

We actually booked 2 cabins and paid it them off in Feb. for our next Hogs on the High Seas cruise and will be taking our 2 teenage sons with us. DW and I are lucky in that my income has tripled in the last 2 years so that we are now able to afford trips that were not possible in the past (before you ask I am not doing anything illegal but I do now work 8 months out of the year in a war zone so there are risks involved with the pay increase).

Gunny

The cruise industry is doing its best to get people to book early vs. waiting for "last minute specials." But it seems to me that the severity of the recession has only recently started to sink in.

Today I got an Email from my cousin telling me that she just cancelled her summer cruise because it was just going to be too much for now. That got me to wondering: "How many people are booked but are now canceling in time to get their refunds before the final payment is due?

So, please post here regarding whether, STARTING MARCH 1:

- You or someone you know has cancelled (or plans to) before the final payment is due, OR

- You or someone you know has made their final payment.

The results should give us an idea whether or not the "last minute specials" will or will not increase in the coming months.

No we booked three more cruises... thats the best of it. who has time for tears? not us

How do you get free internet?

I waited until after the final payment dates for the last six cruises we've been on. The most recent was on HAL's Westerdam last month. I booked it in January. I booked our December cruise on Celebrity's Century about four weeks before we left.

The last cruise we booked before final payment date was in December 2003. I booked it while on a Princess ship in August that year. Since it was between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the price was already ridiculously low--under $600 pp for a BA balcony on the Caribe deck.

My DH's job for the summer is in limbo. If he doesn't end up in a full-time faculty position for the summer sessions at his community college, he'll still be teaching a couple of online courses. With our free Internet package on Princess ships, we may be able to add another Alaskan cruise over the summer since he'd be able to check on his students from the ship.

• 2 months later...
The cruise industry is doing its best to get people to book early vs. waiting for "last minute specials." But it seems to me that the severity of the recession has only recently started to sink in.

Today I got an Email from my cousin telling me that she just cancelled her summer cruise because it was just going to be too much for now. That got me to wondering: "How many people are booked but are now canceling in time to get their refunds before the final payment is due?

So, please post here regarding whether, STARTING MARCH 1:

- You or someone you know has cancelled (or plans to) before the final payment is due, OR

- You or someone you know has made their final payment.

The results should give us an idea whether or not the "last minute specials" will or will not increase in the coming months.

Well as a TA i am so glad people are still traveling, My husband just lost his Job 5 days shy of 30 yrs due to job elimination and at only 50yrs old this yr obviously cant get retirement benefits. so we count on my incomes (3 jobs)to survive, We pay full prices for our travel but have luckily prepd our cruises so far, who knows what will happen next year. Hopefully the economy will recover, in the meantime i have only had 2 cancellations due to economy.. I honestly think people need the break, just to get away for a while...

Pat

Hi:), no cancellations for me and yes I am still cruising:)

Actually, this year I have been very lucky and thankful....January

I went on a 10 night cruise, April I took a short 4 nighter and in

September I am sailing again on a 7 nighter:)

I also have another cruise booked for January:D. I need another

one for later in 2010!

Hi:), no cancellations for me and yes I am still cruising:)

Actually, this year I have been very lucky and thankful....January

I went on a 10 night cruise, April I took a short 4 nighter and in

September I am sailing again on a 7 nighter:)

I also have another cruise booked for January:D. I need another

one for later in 2010!

sure Lois... rub it in..... :)

- Rick

No, it hasn't caused me to cancel. It just causes me to look for the best deal possible. This upcoming cruise has been my cheapest cruise by far. I booked with a group & got a lower initial deposit. I also have 2 other people in my cabin so this lowered the price greatly for my cabin. Airfare is really cheap going to FL right now. I'm just looking for ways to cut cost. People are still spending money in the recession we're just looking for better deals & wanting to get the most bang for the buck.

Archived