Do you repeat outfits?

NeedaVac

KandCsailing your spreadsheet looks like mine (I also put in jewelry).

I've never repeated clothes for dinner, I do repeat shorts though. I have found a very nice pair of black capris that are comfortable and this time I am going to wear them two-three times to dinner with different tops.

Every time we cruise I try to make the list of "stuff" to take smaller. As others have said, no one notices. Jan

Just a quick question for those of you who say you only take a carry on bag and no checked luggage - how do you get around the 311 rules? (one ziploc, three 1-oz bottles, etc.)

When I think of all the liquid stuff I need to take - aloe, sunscreen, hair mousse, hair spray, lotion, and the list goes on . . . - I don't see how I could do it!

Trial sizes. I keep a variety handy and am always picking up more when I see them.

Just FYI.....any individual bottle can be up to 3 oz. and you can put as many in your ziploc as will fit. Each person gets one ziploc.....so if you travel with a DH or SO, maybe you can put some things in their bag! :eek: I do that with DS...

One travel-size toothpaste tube will last me at least 10 days. I take one 3 oz. shampoo bottle which also lasts at least a week (most people use way too much shampoo per wash....), 1 small tube of heavy conditioner that I can use sparingly (up to 14 days), etc.

Things that don't have to go in the ziploc include chapstick (but lipgloss does), solid deodorants (gel deodorants do), powders (e.g., powder eyeshadow, compacts, etc). So I adjust my packing accordingly.

You can buy sunscreen most anywhere (e.g., after you fly but before you board if you fly in a day early, or on board ship, or at any port....)

You bet i do. Who is going to be looking at you that closely?:confused:

Many people look at what others wear. In fact, most of us do.

Got to save the pennies for my next cruise.

You mean save money on the luggage fee's?

I Wear the same outfits the second week as the first. Hasn't been noticed yet:D

How would you know? No one would come up to you and say, "didn't you wear that last week?" :D

To the OP, I repeat bottoms (pants, skirts) and I repeat shoes. I don't wear tops, blouses or dresses more than once.

I love to have several fabulous outfits to take on my cruise and can never decide

what stays home.

The only thing I wear twice is my beach cover ( I take 3 with me)

35 Cruises and still can't cut back!!

You and me, louallard, you and me both! :D

I'm still working on cutting back on the overpacking.

I mix and match. I also don't take anything unless it can be coordinated with two things.

I'm getting lighter with my packing, but not less garments, because the fabrics I take now are lightweight jersey tops, georgette skirts, lightweight knit capris.

Of course I repeat, I am going on a cruise, not to NY Fashion Week. It's my vacation and I want to be comfy and not bring along a trunk.

I'm not in high school anymore and really don't care if anyone notices, gasp, that I am wearing the same black skirt more than once.;)

Happy cruising,

Nancy

The excel chart is awesome!!!! I have a list, but I'm soooo color coding it now!!!

Yes, I agree. The excel chart is a great idea. I went and did the same thing. Color coding and all.

Question though... How did you save it and then get to post it here. I go to save it and it is a big document. Not just the chart.

Thanks for sharing.

Do I repeat outfits on the same cruise? Never. Although, on my last cruise I wore a top twice. Once to an hour morning party and again to a late night party. Did anyone notice? Probably, if they too were at the same parties...it was a great top...haha. Actually, I did not care.

Do people care if you wear an outfit twice? Probably not. We all know how airlines are and we all know how horrible it is to lug the luggage around. I might notice if you wear the same formal outfit twice, I might notice if you wear the same top to dinner twice, but I will not notice if you wear the same pants or skirts twice. OH, I will definitely notice your shoes! Even if I notice, it does not impact my interaction with you. You could wear the same thing every night and if I find you interesting, I will still engage in conversation because it is not what's on the outside...but on the inside!

coka

I'm another person that just takes a 22" rollaboard suitcase and a tote bag. I try to pack things to mix and match. I might repeat things, but maybe not the same top and bottom together. As far as shoes, I only take one pair of dressy sandals that will go with anything I take for dressy nights, wear a comfy pair of sandals to travel in and for every day and casual times and a pair of flip flop type shoes for other times. Will someone notice if I wear the same clothes more than once? Maybe, but I'll never see these people again after the cruise lol! I am always amazed at how much luggage I see people haul on the ships and I could never do that.

Yes, I agree. The excel chart is a great idea. I went and did the same thing. Color coding and all.

Question though... How did you save it and then get to post it here. I go to save it and it is a big document. Not just the chart.

Thanks for sharing.

I took my printed copy, scanned it and saved it as a photo in my photobucket account.

Up until my last 3 day cruise I always packed 1 outfit for every day and 1 outfit for every night. Plus all the matching shoes. I never wore the same thing twice. But on that cruise, I only wanted to take a small carry-on, so I only took one pair of shorts, 1 t-shirt, 1 bathing suit, 1 cover-up (which could have doubled for sleepwear, but didn't), 1 casual dress and 1 dressy outfit and 2 pairs of shoes - 1 for the day and 1 for the night. I wore my travel clothes for dinner the first night. Thankfully I didn't need to do laundry. No one pointed and stared. It was wonderful. I'm going to be packing a lot less from now on.

Just a quick question for those of you who say you only take a carry on bag and no checked luggage - how do you get around the 311 rules? (one ziploc, three 1-oz bottles, etc.)

When I think of all the liquid stuff I need to take - aloe, sunscreen, hair mousse, hair spray, lotion, and the list goes on . . . - I don't see how I could do it!

I get travel sizes of everything I can, and for the stuff I can't get in small sizes (or don't want to pay a lot for per ounce like shampoo and conditioner), I put it in little 2 to 3 oz. travel bottles (I got some 2 for a dollar at Target.) If I run out of room, I put some of my things in DH's 3-1-1 bag. He never fills his up. :p

There is no limit to the number of containers you can have, but they must fit into a quart size zip-top bag. Here are the TSA regulations: http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

You can get creative too -- you can use baking soda to brush your teeth and save space by not bringing toothpaste. I get travel packages of hand sanitizer wipes instead of gel. Instead of taking liquid perfumes, you can bring the "scratch & sniff" samples they put in magazines, or get tiny vials of perfume samples from department stores. Use non-liquid makeup (such as the mineral foundations and blushers), and solid lipsticks instead of the tubes of gel lip color. Use solid stick deodorant instead of roll-ons or sprays.

Also remember that some liquids are considered "medications," such as disinfecting solution for contact lenses and eye drops.

Magellans sells special non-liquid toiletry items also.

I've done 5 cruises (up to 9 days) and never run out of anything. :)

Re: perfumes.

I don't bother to take any perfume with me on a cruise.

Every night before dinner, on nights that we have left port and the shops are open, and on sea days, I go and try a new perfume sample. By the end of the cruise I've tried and lived with for a few hours about 4 or 5 perfumes and know which one I would like to purchase.

Re: perfumes.

I don't bother to take any perfume with me on a cruise.

Every night before dinner, on nights that we have left port and the shops are open, and on sea days, I go and try a new perfume sample. By the end of the cruise I've tried and lived with for a few hours about 4 or 5 perfumes and know which one I would like to purchase.

what a great idea ... I'll be trying that next cruise!! thanks!

For any trip - by land or by sea - I always pack one pair of nice black slacks for evening, that I can dress up for smart casual or down for casual. (I never wear pants on formal night, usually a cocktail dress, the same one for one or three formal nights, just different jewelry)

If we're going somewhere warm, I have a pair of nice black capris for casual evenings and some day trips.

I plan a new outfit for each day, then I lay them all out and start mixing & matching until I've taken about half of the items away. I know I can wear shorts/pants multiple times, as long as I don't spill anything!! Tops can be worn twice, sometimes more. (The only things I don't repeat are underwear & socks ... and I do not wash out things in the sink to wear again.)

I take the minimum number of shoes I can get away with.

Of course, all of that is for flying!! If we're driving somewhere, all bets are off!!

Oh, and one thing I've mentioned before, I always look for shorts & capris that have really good pockets so I don't have to carry a huge tote when we're in port, and no purse at all on the ship. Gotta have somewhere for my glasses and camera, Mr Chew and his pockets aren't always around!

I can only speak for myself....I use up the alloted space in my husbands 3 1 1 bag ;) We use the same shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste etc... He only takes one item, a hair pomade, we have a tiny travel size for that, so he has tons of space left.

Also, you have the rule a bit skewed, it is not 3 1-oz. bottles, you can have 3-oz. bottles in the bag, as many as you can comfortably fit. The rule is no more than 3 oz. bottles or containers, 1 clear quart sized bag, 1 bag per person.

I have sample sizes of many things, much of it cosmetic giveaway stuff from Clinique and Lancome. I've also found that whatever you can combine (such as one face cream for both night/day rather than one for each) and stuff that isn't absolutely essential can be left at home. Sunscreen is one item we just don't skimp on, so if we're flying and expect it to be hot, we'll bite the bullet and purchase onboard or on shore.

I do have to admit though, that I rarely carry a piece of luggage onto the airplane any more, even if my bag is a carry on size. I prefer to check my bag and not have to haul it around the airport and especially not hassle with it on an airplane. We just went to San Francisco for the weekend and my 22 inch bag was checked, I carried on a bag with only my cosmetics (too expensive to pack and possibly lose), my hairbrushes, a book, my mini jewelry bag and essential travel papers. Much of the typical 3 1 1 stuff was packed into my checked bag. It's funny what is valuable to some and not of much value to others!

If none of the above works for you, plan a visit to a drug or department store at the port town before you board your ship.

OK, after reading posts after the linked one I just responded to, I see many people already gave the same type of answers. So I do apologize for being redundant.

I'm always amazed that some people actually consider that wearing the same dress or top or pants twice will be noticed by anyone else. Yes, we all check each other out, but on a cruise ship there are more than 2000 people, do you really think another person will recognize you are wearing the same clothing article a second time? The only person who knows will be you, perhaps your husband if he's paying attention. We're all so concerned about our own selves we're really not all that conscious of what others may be repeating, unless it is extremely memorable or outlandish.

The one and only time I noticed a woman wearing the same outfit was years ago on a Hawaiian cruise. It was a huge red and white muu muu, she was probably 6 feet tall, so that in itself would call attention to her more than the average person. She wore the same dress all 7 nights, it became a sort of game for us to find her each night. If she would have worn something less eye-catching I doubt I would have noticed.

A smaller vessel with fewer pax you may notice, but usually when we're disembarking I see people I never once set eyes on the whole cruise.

OK, after reading posts after the linked one I just responded to, I see many people already gave the same type of answers. So I do apologize for being redundant.

I'm always amazed that some people actually consider that wearing the same dress or top or pants twice will be noticed by anyone else. Yes, we all check each other out, but on a cruise ship there are more than 2000 people, do you really think another person will recognize you are wearing the same clothing article a second time? The only person who knows will be you, perhaps your husband if he's paying attention. We're all so concerned about our own selves we're really not all that conscious of what others may be repeating, unless it is extremely memorable or outlandish.

The one and only time I noticed a woman wearing the same outfit was years ago on a Hawaiian cruise. It was a huge red and white muu muu, she was probably 6 feet tall, so that in itself would call attention to her more than the average person. She wore the same dress all 7 nights, it became a sort of game for us to find her each night. If she would have worn something less eye-catching I doubt I would have noticed.

A smaller vessel with fewer pax you may notice, but usually when we're disembarking I see people I never once set eyes on the whole cruise.

A red and white muu muu? Maybe it was Waldo's mother!

Archived