Some information I learned about Oceania today

DrivesLikeMario

From the original post:

"They place themselves a step above Princess, HAL and Celebrity, but not quite at the luxury level."

I guess they are changing that position as their 2010 catalog stated;

"The best value in Luxury Cruising"

It's called "puffing"...a little hyperbole to appeal to prospective customers...I'm sure somewhere in Carnival's marketing literature, they call themselves the "Best" somewhere...

Maybe, in some ways, Oceania is the "best"...Depends on your definition of "best"...To some, best might mean the most luxurious without having to pay an exorbitant price...

Remember, same company owns Regent...But, you're not going to see them say "Second best after Regent"...

Of course, to some, the ultimate "Best in Luxury Cruising" is what my brother did a couple of years ago (and invited us...but, believe it or not, we turned it down)--chartered a private yacht in the Greek Islands for two weeks at $70,000 per day...with 16 guests and chef and staff and so on...(Yeah, believe it or not, some people can do that)...

"Unlimited complimentary soft drinks and bottled water

Government Fees and Taxes now included in cruise fares"

[/size][/font]

That is nice. Last Autumn, we called for price flexibility, and just weeks ago, we called for free bottled water. It may just be coincidence, but as usual, we always post in the interest of ordinary individual consumers .. meow!

"The best value in Luxury Cruising"
With their newbuilds with larger standard cabins, they are trying to go upmarket and charge (comparatively) more, therefore more "included". However, with the poor economy, gross over capacity, and difficulty indelineating between Oceania and RSSC, there are still a lot of problems ahead. I will not be surprised to see more discounts in the years to come!

Go to this website:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/email/Brochure/europe_10/10europe_calendar.pdf

The info is on Page 3 under "New For Europe 2010"

Don

So it doesn't apply to the one I'm going:(

So it doesn't apply to the one I'm going:(

No, but Mario, makes no DIFFERENCE...we are paying far less for the total fare. They are "building in" the "inclusive" items with a higher overall fare.

See for yourself. Check the same sailing for 2010 and see how much higher it is than what you booked for 2009. We're not "losing out" on anything. We're just paying for it differently.

No, but Mario, makes no DIFFERENCE...we are paying far less for the total fare. They are "building in" the "inclusive" items with a higher overall fare.

See for yourself. Check the same sailing for 2010 and see how much higher it is than what you booked for 2009. We're not "losing out" on anything. We're just paying for it differently.

"We're just paying for it differently" as always. Actually it can't be different;).

Just because the fare for the 2010 European cruises is higher now does NOT mean it will stay higher. If the cruises do not sell well then there will be further discounts to the level they are for 2009. And bottled water and soft drinks will still be included. I repeat my contention that a line like Oceania needs to be consistent, they either include the water and sodas or they don't. It should not be on select cruises only.

Just noticed this remark in the brochure:

"Government Fees and Taxes of up to $8 per guest per day are included in the fares shown above."

What's with the "up to" part?

Go to this website:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/email/Brochure/europe_10/10europe_calendar.pdf

The info is on Page 3 under "New For Europe 2010"

Don

Archived