Some information I learned about Oceania today

DrivesLikeMario

As a newbie to cruising, let alone Oceania, just one cruise ago (in September), I love reading all I can about the Oceania line, as well as the ports of call. I get almost as much fun thinking about my vacations as taking them!

Thanks for this thread.

Pam (excited about cruise number two on Nautica in June)

So, what other pearls of wisdom can anyone pass on to a long time cruiser, but an Oceania newbie? I'm excited to try a new line, but worried about small size, onboard costs (alcohol prices seem REALLY high compared to Celeb) and lack of things to do on a small ship.

Will I be the only single passenger aboard?:o

I would read through some of the many posts here and ask any specific questions you have

Join the Roll call for you cruise you may find others that are also travelling solo

There was a discussion on drink prices here earlier ..if you put "drink prices" in the "search this forum" (top right ) I am sure you will get lots of answers.

You can be as busy or as relaxed as you want on the cruise the choice is yours

There is always something to do

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

He was also noted for starting the LOL term, long before the internet co-opted it to mean Laughing Out Loud. In Herb Caen's world, LOL stood for Little Old Ladies,

You reminded me of a trip to Greece we were on ...there was a single lady in our group & some of the others called her LOLA.

I knew that was not her name & asked why they called her that

LOLA= little old lady alone :D

At what time of day/evening do the O lecturers give their lectures? I'll be on my first O cruise, Istanbul to Athens, this September. I'd really like to attend the lectures, but, the cruise is so port-intensive, when does one have the time to attend a lecture???

Also, what about the person(s) who come aboard at each port to provide info about that port's area? Won't I be too busy trying to get off the ship to see the sites by that time? Or, is it worth it to take the time to listen to that person's sage advice? How long does that take?

The lecture times vary, but generally every effort is made to schedule them at times when you are able to attend. However, if there is a conflict, the lectures are videotaped and shown on your cabin TV at your convenience. We often watch them late at night (well, late for us, which would be around 11 PM).

The local destination representative is at a desk on Deck 4 in the lobby, which is often where the the gangplank is located (unless you are tendering off, which is on deck 3, and it's easy to stop on deck 4 on the way). There is no rush to get off the ship; with only 684 or fewer passengers, there are no crowds or rushing for almost anything. We have never spent more than a few minutes getting a route mapped out for us to walk, picking up a map, or learning about taxis. It's all very relaxed.

I totally agree on the demographic. I think when we went on their far east cruise last year, my 23 year old daughter really skewed the demographic numbers.

Added to that some of the passengers actually told us that the cruise line was for retirees.

I am not surprized that their booking are down. Retirees with fixed incomes may get hit in the current crisis.

As for country club casual - at dinner the first and second night a number of the older demographic appeared in velour jumpsuits......

At what time of day/evening do the O lecturers give their lectures? I'll be on my first O cruise, Istanbul to Athens, this September. I'd really like to attend the lectures, but, the cruise is so port-intensive, when does one have the time to attend a lecture???

Also, what about the person(s) who come aboard at each port to provide info about that port's area? Won't I be too busy trying to get off the ship to see the sites by that time? Or, is it worth it to take the time to listen to that person's sage advice? How long does that take?

On our September Istanbul to Athens cruise, the three lectures were given during at sea time (one on each of our two at-sea days and one before docking in the PM at Katakolon). Although the itinerary has been tweaked this year to delete Albania and add Crete, I refer you to my lengthy review of our Istanbul to Athens September 5, 2008 trip for my report on our first-ever cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48450.

I put in a lot of captions, so just scroll down to any which interest you (if there are any!).

I did a lot of port research so did not normally need information from the person who boarded to help at each port, but I always, always, dropped by on my way off the ship to get the excellent, up-to-date maps that person always had with him/her. The first few times, I waited in line for the map, but later when I observed how clueless some people were about where we were and, therefore, how time-consuming the line could be, I just by-passed the line and picked it up from the his/her desk with a polite "thanks, I just need a map".

Also, on the day we were diverted from Delos/Mykonos to Milos, the line was worth the wait because the local travel person's advice on the best beaches was invaluable. I had absolutely no info re: Milos with me, but my Mykonos plan was to have a beach afternoon, so I kept with the plan. (Of course, I still mourned missing Delos so much, that our cruise this June stops there on Day 1!:))

I totally agree on the demographic. I think when we went on their far east cruise last year, my 23 year old daughter really skewed the demographic numbers.

Added to that some of the passengers actually told us that the cruise line was for retirees.

I am not surprized that their booking are down. Retirees with fixed incomes may get hit in the current crisis.

As for country club casual - at dinner the first and second night a number of the older demographic appeared in velour jumpsuits......

While the cruise line does attract a lot of retirees the line is NOT just for retirees.

We have seen people from all ages on the ship the majority are over 55 but there have been younger people as well.

Some Retirees have more time & disposable income that the working people.

I have never seen anyone in a velour jumpsuit on O :eek:. That would be scary

I guess it depends on the cruise what people are wearing & the interpretation of CCC is.

Lyn

We found that Oceania will put a little map & other things to do & see in the Currents the night before the port.

You should also do some research before you leave home...I have printed off maps for some of the ports just so I know what I want to /see ahead of time

The local tourist Rep is great to tell you where to catch the local bus , how much the taxi should be etc...

Lyn

Retirees with fixed incomes may get hit in the current crisis....
That is not necessarily true. In fact those who have fixed income may be lucky with price deflation. Lots of people lose their income/assets, or may not have any income (other than social assistance) due to job loss and asset evaporation!

Which itinerary are you on?

Hi Steve,

It's Oct 17th, Venice to Athens. Actually had to look it up, :confused: since my priorities were only to

1) get the h*ll away for awhile on a cruiseline that vaguely resembles what I'm used to

2) see Santorini

BTW - I actually revere my elders, and will openly admonish anyone who considers the elderly fair game for jokes. Anyone who has spent more time on this rock than I have, earns my respect. Velour or not.

While at 47, I doubt I'll be called LOLA, I certainly won't be keeping company with those who find that humorous. You know what they say about "paybacks"...one day you'll be the one wishing you could walk as fast as you used to, etc. As an Irishman, my sense of humor is quite good. Just don't see it there.:( Soapbox rant over.

As far as being single, I've always been quite comfortable in any surroundings. I always shied away from a bunch of unsociable couples on a small ship. However, I also believe you can always find nice, fun people to have conversation with no matter where you may be. As a matter of fact, some of the best friendships I've made on board have been with "elderly" travelers, friendly couples and crew. No worries here!!

The crew is trained in ensure we all have a good time. I'm sure my presence will be no exception. Looking forward to it!:)

As a matter of fact, some of the best friendships I've made on board have been with "elderly" travelers, friendly couples and crew. No worries here!!

I wonder what you consider ELDERLY?

Generally, over 70 or thereabouts.

It is funny how as we mature our perspectives change

When I was 12 I thought 30 was old,

when I was 30 I thought 50 was old,

when I was 50 I thought 70 was old

Now I think ...just live each day and not worry about age it is just a number

...life is what you make it ;)

We have a friend 89 he can run rings around us

..life is what you make it ;)

Lyn

I spent a lot of time with a woman in her late 60's/early 70's on a Hawaii circle cruise. She nearly KILLED me....I couldn't keep up. She, and one of my table companions in her 80's remain close friends with me and always will.

That's the thing - we will ALL get "old" and no one gets out of here alive. So I've never considered old age a negative, in fact I embrace aging. I have lived in places where people spent most of their time (mostly women) getting botoxed, buffed, injected, lifted, etc. I don't judge them, I just know that's not who I am and am often puzzled by the human fascination with physical appearances. If anything, I often have to stop myself from commenting on the naivity and arrogance of youth. See? Part of aging is gaining WISDOM. :D

...So I've never considered old age a negative, in fact I embrace aging. I have lived in places where people spent most of their time (mostly women) getting botoxed, buffed, injected, lifted, etc. I don't judge them, I just know that's not who I am and am often puzzled by the human fascination with physical appearances. If anything, I often have to stop myself from commenting on the naivity and arrogance of youth. See? Part of aging is gaining WISDOM. :D

That's exactly how I feel.

You reminded me of a trip to Greece we were on ...there was a single lady in our group & some of the others called her LOLA.

I knew that was not her name & asked why they called her that

LOLA= little old lady alone :D

LOL and not offended:D. I am still amazed that there still seems to be a double standard to women traveling alone even today. I have seen men traveling alone and no one commented or created an Acronym. Some women who travel alone do so because maybe they are widows who lost the love of their life (such as I) and would prefer to travel solo and not be with someone else just for the sake of being needy. I worked in a man’s world for over 30 years and trust me I came a long way despite double standards. I travel alone because I am comfortable doing so such as Vernonica13. Perhaps a more appropriate LOLA definition would be LUSCIOUS OLDER LADY ABOARD! See you onboard!

LOL and not offended:D. I am still amazed that there still seems to be a double standard to women traveling alone even today. I have seen men traveling alone and no one commented or created an Acronym.

I have a friend who also prefers to travel alone well maybe she would like someone to travel with but not in HER space.

I just thought the acronym cute ..not offensive but then I am not LOLA

WOW!!

We are not even in the same ball park guess we better stop cruising on O :rolleyes:

Lyn

As you have sailed Oceania before perhaps you can tell me more about Oceania. We almost always sail Celebrity and love it. But I have been looking at Oceania for something different. We are very middle class and we have nice clothes but we are not wealthy and therefore my DH does not wear $1000.00 suits nor do I. We do like to dress appropriately, so I wonder what do you wear to dinner on Oceania? Do you need a blazer or jacket each evening?

As you have sailed Oceania before perhaps you can tell me more about Oceania. We almost always sail Celebrity and love it. But I have been looking at Oceania for something different. We are very middle class and we have nice clothes but we are not wealthy and therefore my DH does not wear $1000.00 suits nor do I. We do like to dress appropriately, so I wonder what do you wear to dinner on Oceania? Do you need a blazer or jacket each evening?

New Celeb Elite recruit here too. Bottom line - DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. No jackets required. They call it CCC, I call it business casual. I will wear whatever I feel good in, whether it be casual slacks and top or whatever strikes me that evening. I plan (weather permitting) to be in shorts and sneeks during the day (anything over 70 degree is hot for me), and an assortment of pants and tops for night. I don't look great or feel comfortable in skirts anymore, or most dresses, except cocktail dresses, and that's too much for this line. I'm just more comfy in pants. WEAR WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND DAMN THE TORPEDOES.

ps - Jumpsuits are back "in"....even velour! ;)

Not to get WAY off topic any further

There are several threads on the dress code just put that in the "search this forum" top right

No jackets required

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=929024&highlight=dress

Archived