Leave the passport on the ship???

SirDomino

The wife and I will be going to Guatemala, Belize, Costa Maya (Mexico), and Cozumel (Mexico) this next week via NCL Spirit.

It was advised that we leave our passports locked in the safe, on the ship if we got off the ship at the various ports.

I would just hate to lose our passports, but it would be bad too if we got stuck in the country without our passports.

Is this the best advice? Should we perhaps keep photocopies of our passports on us just in case?

We have cruised for more than 20 years, more then 50 cruises. The ONLY place we had to take our passports off the ship was, of all places, Key West! Yes, the US! This was made know on the ship that we'd have to take them. Had to show them before our tram got back to the ship in Key West. Have never figured that out. Anyone know why?

We ALWAYS leave them in our safe but also have copies of them we can take off with us - never do though.

At one time and maybe still, passengers not from the US had to turn their passports in before they could get ON the ship. The ship kept them until it the very end of the cruise. Those people couldn't take them ashore if they wanted to. Aside from Key West we have never been asked for them. A picture ID and s&s card is all you need to get back on the ship - and they also have your photo when you do get back!

We have always left our passports on the ship and carry or other photo ID's- drivers licences for me and older kids and school photo ID's for the kids. We also carry color copies of passports or at the very least the passport numbers with us.

We've been to Key West several times on cruises and have never needed a passport--(which is good, since we don't have one!) You don't NEED to take them ashore.

Even if you do get stranded without your passport, you can and will get home! You won't be stranded indefinitely!!!!

We carry our passports with us when we get off at ports.

I'm sure we would be able to make it back home without them, but it sure would be easier/faster to have them on you.

I figure better safe than sorry.

But I know alot of people just carry photo copies with them.

It boils down to what makes you the most comfortable.:rolleyes:

This debate (which circles round and round and round) centers on this question: which of these two scenarios either 1) worries you more (degree of seriousness of consequence) or 2) is more likely (probability of occurence):

Scenario A: Your passport is on the ship and you need it because 1) you miss the ship (traffic jam, illness/accident, arrested, watch stops, whatever) and need the passport to fly out of the foreign country; 2) ..... (can't think of another reason)

Scenario B: Your passport is in your possession on shore and you 1) lose it; 2) have it stolen (there is a rather substantial black market for US passports). Do you look like a US tourist? I sure do.

The value of a photocopy of your passport is for secondary ID and to facilitate getting a new passport at an embassy.

We have made the fully informed decision to never carry our passport ashore unless it is must be produced on demand in the country we are visiting. That has happened only a few times. Once the cruise director told us that, while she must tell the passengers to carry their passport ashore (this was Serbia on a river cruise), she did not carry hers. As she said, "I can handle explaining to an official why I don't have my passport. I can't handle losing my passport."

Your choice.

I've asked numerous US Immigration officials this question and every single one of them have said to keep it safe and locked up. And, some cruise lines take your passport, regardless of your nationality, and lock them up. If the cruise line doesn't think a passenger needs their passports, then neither do I.

Here's a link telling you that a photocopy of your information page is all you need to get an emergency passport.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1197.html

I know that some do the Xerox thing, but I always carry my passport with me. If am in an accident or get ill or miss the ship, my passport will be very useful. I won't need to go to the embassy to get a replacement.

Many years ago I was travelling in eastern Europe for a school trip, back when that term meant something. One of my friends fell very ill. He was hospitalized and then had to take an emergency flight home. He left his passport on the tour bus. His mother spent hours and hours at the US Embassy while he was in a hospital in Budapest. They got home, but I later learned what an ordeal it was.

The only place I leave it on board is in a US port or at the private island. I'm a worrier, just what I do. :)

The wife and I will be going to Guatemala, Belize, Costa Maya (Mexico), and Cozumel (Mexico) this next week via NCL Spirit.

It was advised that we leave our passports locked in the safe, on the ship if we got off the ship at the various ports.

I would just hate to lose our passports, but it would be bad too if we got stuck in the country without our passports.

Is this the best advice? Should we perhaps keep photocopies of our passports on us just in case?

Look at it this way - If leaving the original in the safe and carrying a photocopy of your passport on shore is such a good idea, why not leave the originals in the safe and carry photocopies of your money and credit cards ashore also? You'll get just as far with one as the other if the unthinkable happens and you get stranded, arrested, injured, whatever !:eek:

Look at it this way - If leaving the original in the safe and carrying a photocopy of your passport on shore is such a good idea, why not leave the originals in the safe and carry photocopies of your money and credit cards ashore also? You'll get just as far with one as the other if the unthinkable happens and you get stranded, arrested, injured, whatever !:eek:

So your saying that the embassy won't accept our IDs and photocopies of the passports with all the information as proof of citizenship and it won't help expedite things at all?

On many cruises, your daily program has the information on the port agent at each port. If you don't make it back I know that some (can't swear that it is all) cruise lines will leave your passport with the port agent. I know that happened on a cruise I was on where a couple missed the ship in Montevideo. Maybe you should ask procedures for your ship from the pursers office. I would hate to have my passport stolen. Just be sure you carry that port agent information with you.

Susan

So your saying that the embassy won't accept our IDs and photocopies of the passports with all the information as proof of citizenship and it won't help expedite things at all?

Your ID will give them your name and the photocopy will give them your passport number, but neither are proof of citizenship. You'll still have to get a replacement passport there at the embassy. I'm not sure if the photocopy is any better than the little business card they send with the passport where you can write the number in.

My brother was traveling through Europe and did have passport go missing...Having the copy with the numbers readable saved a lot of time. He was told by embassy that they were able to expedite the replacement quickly because he did have the photo copy!

Please be aware of your passport at all times, especially at airports where you have to keep producing them. People have been robbed within minutes of landing at Barcelona, and have not been allowed on their cruise. A US or Euro. passport is worth thousands of dollars to people who traffic in third world immigrants. If you take it off the ship, make sure it is well hidden. A neck purse may feel ugly, but I would not travel without one (made for me by a retired sailor, who knows what he's talking about!)-jocap.

What a dumb remark by our pirate-friend. There's way more chance of your passport being lost or stolen ashore, especially on the beach, than there is of you missing your ship. And if you do miss your ship, your SHIP'S ON-SHORE AGENTS are well-used to dealing with strays, with or without passports. Why not bell those experts next time you're ashore on a Caribbean cruise, and ask their opinion - that's what I did.

Some destinations require photo-ID and in my experience a photocopy passport has always been acceptable - your throwaway remark about trying to use photocopy money or credit cards is irrelevant, a photocopy of your passport has a use as photo-ID. Its also useful to keep a photocopy on board and/or in your pocket at those places where you are required to take your passport original ashore, and it goes astray. ..................John Bull

Your ID will give them your name and the photocopy will give them your passport number, but neither are proof of citizenship. You'll still have to get a replacement passport there at the embassy. I'm not sure if the photocopy is any better than the little business card they send with the passport where you can write the number in.

From the US State Dept website:

"Pack an extra set of passport photos along with a photocopy of your passport’s information page to make replacement of your passport easier in the event it is lost or stolen."

. . .

"Remember to leave a detailed itinerary and the numbers or copies of your passport or other citizenship documents with a friend or relative."

Sorry for my original misinformation, the photocopy will make it easier to replace your passport. I will still carry mine on my person to avoid needing the replacement.

I've asked numerous US Immigration officials this question and every single one of them have said to keep it safe and locked up. And, some cruise lines take your passport, regardless of your nationality, and lock them up. If the cruise line doesn't think a passenger needs their passports, then neither do I.

Here's a link telling you that a photocopy of your information page is all you need to get an emergency passport.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1197.html

Thanks for the post. Very helpful!

I do not understand the Don't Carry It approach. When you are in a foreign country your passport is your principal form of identification. If I had a problem that might involve the police or the foreign government's official I would produce my passport. I doubt a photocopy would be accepted. A photocopy is just a piece of paper, not a document issued by a government. If a photocopy is acceptable why can't you use one to board an airplane or enter a country?

I do not travel in a foreign country without my passport. I occasionally have to surrender it overnight at a hotel so they can register me with the local police (as required by law in some countries) but otherwise it stays with me. I keep a photocopy ina sepaarte location in case I lose my passport, but I expect a major hassle if I try to use that as ID.

I carry it in a moneybelt under my clothing where it cannot be stolen unless someone removes my pants.

For us, if the ship takes them for the duration of the cruise (depends on line, ship, where you are from and itinerary), we carry color copies of the main page in case we need them for something. Never have needed that, fingers crossed it stays that way. If we have them with us, we carry them in a money belt and each carry a color copy of the others passport. We had ours stolen 5 years ago somewhere between Victoria, BC and Vancouver. We're a tad paranoid about them since that experience. The big question is where are you when you are traveling? Some places are more critical to have them with you than others. It really comes down to personal comfort level. Just decide what you want to do and then hope for the best.

Something to consider is that the port in which you are stranded may not have an embassy or consular office. In that case you have to travel there, which could take yet another day. And perhaps there will be air transportation involved and the airport authorities will want to see your passport before you can get on the plane (I don't know, just thinking).

We generally take our passports with us when we are on shore. We will leave them onboard if we're in a US port or in Ensenada, where we can rent a car to go home if we have to. I figure that the odds of either bad event happening are miniscule, but I would rather risk having the passport lost or stolen than being stranded without it. Knock wood, neither has happened.

Archived