Can we wheel our own luggage onboard??

holdon216

We will not be getting to the pier till approx. 6pm. (This is because Carnival agent told us we could not board before 5pm so we took a later flight :mad:)

Sailing on The Victory at 10pm. Would they allow us to just wheel our own luggage on board at the terminal?? That way we could bring it directly to our room ourselves. Thanks !!!

Same as if its flying, only carry one size, but can be longer like golf clubs. Has to fit thru the scanner which is something like 16 inches by 24 inches, no limit to length.

A large suitcase you will have to check, sorry. There is no limit to how many suitcases you can carry on though, so if you can fit in carry on sizes, plus an extra bag, we have done it that way.

Same as if its flying, only carry one size, but can be longer like golf clubs. Has to fit thru the scanner which is something like 16 inches by 24 inches, no limit to length.

A large suitcase you will have to check, sorry. There is no limit to how many suitcases you can carry on though, so if you can fit in carry on sizes, plus an extra bag, we have done it that way.

That is correct. We thought about it before but read several posts on here that they were turned away with large luggage.

If your rooms are not ready though, you would have to schlep your luggage with you everywhere til it was.
VERY true. Whatever you bring on yourself you have to keep with you until your room is ready.

Sure hope our rooms will be ready by 6:00-6:30. Our flight does not land till 4:30pm.

I will have to check my large luggage. I think it just might fit.Thanks!!!

Hope your flight is on time. Otherwise, you should check here or here for flights to St. Thomas.

We will not be getting to the pier till approx. 6pm. (This is because Carnival agent told us we could not board before 5pm so we took a later flight :mad:)

Sailing on The Victory at 10pm. Would they allow us to just wheel our own luggage on board at the terminal?? That way we could bring it directly to our room ourselves. Thanks !!!

Yea, I remember your earlier post, I believe you let Carnival schedule your air.

It seems they always put people on close to debarkation flights if the posts here on CC are any indication.

Well, if your flight is late, Carnival pays the tab to get you to St. Thomas.

With regards to your luggage, give it to Carnival. Check in, get on board and grab a quick bite to eat, then get off and walk around Old San Juan for an hour or two (The pier is right in Old San Juan). I hear OSJ is not to be missed.

I'm confused by this. From what I'm reading on the carnival site, the largest luggage you can check is 16"h x 24"w x 30"l. For carry on, it can be 24"w x 16"h, but no limitation on length.

So how is it that people say if your luggage is bigger you have to check it? It seems you actually have more flexibility if you carry on. I'm trying to figure this out because I would much rather bring one large and two medium suitcases, even if I have to adjust what is checked and what is carried on, rather than 4 medium suitcases, but the way I'm reading the rules, even for checked bags, it has to fit the 16"h x 24"w x 30"l requirement.

Am I missing something? My friend insists that she took her large suitcase on a carnival cruise with her 2 years ago. Is this a newer rule?

I believe the size of the checked luggage is stated as a "recommendation" - in practice checked luggage is anything larger that 16x24" that won't fit thru the ship scanner. You can pretty much check any size and as many as you need (and have room for in the stateroom). ken

We took the Victory in December '08. Even though the ship does not shove off until 10:00 PM, boarding begins at about noon. The rooms were accessible by 1:30 and luggage was being delivered by 3:00. If you get there early enough let them handle your luggage.:cool:

That is correct. We thought about it before but read several posts on here that they were turned away with large luggage.

Here, from their website.....

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

If you measure your bags, be sure to include the wheels in those measurments.......they will.

I believe the size of the checked luggage is stated as a "recommendation" - in practice checked luggage is anything larger that 16x24" that won't fit thru the ship scanner. You can pretty much check any size and as many as you need (and have room for in the stateroom). ken

Are you sure? My luggage tags read:

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked baggage to two suitcases per person. Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 lbs and not exceed 24"w x 16"h."

I read that to mean the recommendation is for the number of bags you bring, although there's no hard restriction on that. The size limits read as "should not" leading me to believe this is a hard rule.

Like I said before, I want to bring a bigger suitcase b/c it will actually free up room in my cabin as we'll be able to nest all three of our suitcases together. If I bring 4 suitcases of roughly the same size, I can't nest them and they'll be quite in the way. However, it's not work having my luggage turned away at port. I guess my pvp will be getting another call in the morning.

I just sailed on the Fantasy (3/30 sailing). I ended up bringing my suitcase (rolling 25 inch case) onboard. I didn't plan too, but when I arrived at the terminal, the porters weren't taking luggage (I got there about 10:15) because they were assisting those coming off the ship. I just rolled it along with me. When I got to the scanner, they assured me it would fit fine. It did with room to spare. I checked in and was in zone 2 for boarding. I rolled it right to my cabin when I got on the ship. We were allowed to go directly to our cabin when I boarded because our section was ready. Other cabins/decks weren't available right away and those passengers had to wait until closer to 1:30 to get to their cabins.

We've had a problem a couple of times when we tried to take our foldover suitcase with us. The security people tried to tell us it wouldn't fit but they said we could take our chances. We knew it would fit because we've done it before and it did fit.

Are you sure? My luggage tags read:

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked baggage to two suitcases per person. Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 lbs and not exceed 24"w x 16"h."

I read that to mean the recommendation is for the number of bags you bring, although there's no hard restriction on that. The size limits read as "should not" leading me to believe this is a hard rule.

Like I said before, I want to bring a bigger suitcase b/c it will actually free up room in my cabin as we'll be able to nest all three of our suitcases together. If I bring 4 suitcases of roughly the same size, I can't nest them and they'll be quite in the way. However, it's not work having my luggage turned away at port. I guess my pvp will be getting another call in the morning.

Your checked luggage is not going to get turned away at the pier. If it will go on the airplane it will go on the ship. The sizes are recommendations so that the carts are balanced, and the wight suggestions are so the porters won't kill their backs. Of course you will kill your back too if it is much over 50 lbs.

The numbers you are reading are recommendations nothing more.

Archived