How strict do airlines enforce the carry on size?

minnymi

We just flew with american into Miami and back home. No one even looked at the size of our carry on, nor did they weigh it. They only weighed the larger one that we checked. And this airline charges for bags.

I added up all the sides and got 46 in for the one bag I wanted to carry on. I don't plan to check in any bag since I don't want to pay extra. If they don't look, I might be able to carry it on board.

I have flown all over the world and not one airline has ever asked me to use that box they have sitting there to make sure my bag is within carry on measurements. I've seen men take on garment bags that are clearly larger than the guidelines. These days people try to carry on as much as possible due to the checked bag fees, and I still don't see people being asked to measure their bags. Only thing I see enforced is the limit of one carry on and one personal item. If the overhead is full they may ask you to check your bag, but at that point they just take it after you've gotten on the plane or right at the gate. Of course I guess you can never rule out that one airline employee who has it out for every passenger and decides to pull out the measuring tape.

I have flown all over the world and not one airline has ever asked me to use that box they have sitting there to make sure my bag is within carry on measurements. I've seen men take on garment bags that are clearly larger than the guidelines. These days people try to carry on as much as possible due to the checked bag fees, and I still don't see people being asked to measure their bags. Only thing I see enforced is the limit of one carry on and one personal item. If the overhead is full they may ask you to check your bag, but at that point they just take it after you've gotten on the plane or right at the gate. Of course I guess you can never rule out that one airline employee who has it out for every passenger and decides to pull out the measuring tape.
That pretty much reflects our experience.

It does depend on the airline and gate agents. When the recent baggage charges were instituted we were on a flight where one passenger had a backpack, large handbag and one other piece. She walked right on to a regional jet...no questions asked.

Other times we've seen agents walking along the queue automatically tagging most of the rolling carryons.

We too have never seen the carryon sizing box.

Charlie

For the most part, I agree.

However, I just flew out of STL and the AA gate agent was having people run their carry on's thru the sizeing box. Caused delays in boarding, but was fun to watch people huff and puff about having to check their obviously too large carry on's.

I'm a flight attendant not for AA tho. They will probably make you check in one of the bags if you are planning on taking both of those. You may get through but be prepared to check. I have even seen TSA tell people to go back to ticket counter to check bag!! And don't forget the flight attendants have to watch for bags too;)

I fly a lot and you're sweating it way too much

Although I find huge carry ons that clog up the entire overhead obnoxious - they are defintely there. If you are just out of parameters you should be fine

Since they've put in the new baggage charges even more people are carrying on larger bags

with this there is also more gate checking then i've ever seen ....... basically if you are flying to your final destination they'll tag it and it will come out on the baggage claim - usually no charge for this

so if you brought one carry on with valuables and another just not to pay the baggage fee - then gate check the one without valuables

also people need to be smarter about how the overheads are contoured and how their bags can fit in easier if they just put it in properly - but that's a different subject

you'll be fine

In my recent travel days I have seen only one gate agent enforce the carry-on size rules. He was making a lot of people "test" their bags in the box-frame setup next to the gate desk, which held up the line considerably. He was also really short with a couple of people who were asking about seat changes and connecting flights, so it seemed like he was in a really bad mood.

I wouldn't count on it, but likely if you don't get a gate agent having a bad day, you'll be fine unless it looks REALLY too big.

also people need to be smarter about how the overheads are contoured and how their bags can fit in easier if they just put it in properly - but that's a different subject

Yes, I agree! Most planes with rows with three seats have room in the overhead for more rolling bags...just have to put wheels in first rather than putting them in sideways...but a lot of people don't do that...I've been known to take bags out of the overhead and rearrange them though! Most people don't care as long as their bag is still up there. I've never understood how people can obviously carry on a garment bag though. I usually have my rolling bag and my computer bag. I stick valuables in my computer bag that goes under the seat in front of me.

Thank you guys for your replies. I was going to take these two carry-on bags on board since we have a party of 4 and I'm not over the limit of carry-on. The question is the size since one is one in. over and the other is 2 in. over the limit. My husband didn't want me to take them since they don't meet the 45 in. rule. Base on the replies here, I probably will carry them on board. Thanks.

After reading all of the posts, I decided to measure on of the carryons we've used on all of our flights. Eek!!! It's 50 inches overall!!! We always fly AA and have never had any problems with it being too large. It fits perfectly, with no cramming into the overheads. The only time I've seen one of those measuring frames was on a flight with a school group, and can't remember what airline, but that was back in mid 90s, and I think they had really started to crack down on the sizes right about then.

As a sidebar, we booked our flight for our next cruise on 6/1, and according to the AA website, our first checked bag is free for each of us for this flight. YEAH!!! One of the bags will be semi-empty so we can fill it with souvies from all of our visits.:D

Thank you guys for your replies. I was going to take these two carry-on bags on board since we have a party of 4 and I'm not over the limit of carry-on. The question is the size since one is one in. over and the other is 2 in. over the limit. My husband didn't want me to take them since they don't meet the 45 in. rule. Base on the replies here, I probably will carry them on board. Thanks.

I have already flown 50,000+ miles this year, so I have some experience with this. There is a reason these measurements are given. If your bag is too large, it just won't fit in the overhead bin. Whether or not it will be measured, just depends on the day and airline. Some are extremely strict (LH comes to mind).

You cannot take two rollerbags onboard as your allowance anyway. It's one rollerbag (within the measurement/weight limits) and one personal item.

However, who knows what will happen on any given day? Can only say flights are often packed lately and people tend to not be too happen with bin hogs. Also, the FAs will remove your bags if you put them in sideways because they won't fit in correctly, and you are preventing other people from utilizing the bin space.

it looks like the OP is flying AA and not lufthansa - i can say that the US Air flight (LH code-share partern, although not applicable to this flight) I just finished last week was packed to the gills, but aside from some gate checking there was no fuss about size/quantity at the gate

also, with 4 people they could bring on 4 roller bags and 4 personal items if they wanted to - so 2 isn't over the limit at all

i would keep note of your airline and the plane itself - regional flight on smaller planes will tend to have smaller overheads

i've also noted that budget airlines (like airtran) tend to be a little more cramped

all that checking them in at ticketing will do is cost you money and make you upset when you see others putting same sized bags (and larger) into the overheads - that is if you don't mind dragging your bags with you

at the size you described you wont stand out at all and all the dirty glares will be reserved to the single person coming in with a huge roller bag, with a duffel tied to it with an oversized bag slung over shoulder bumping everyone down the isle and taking 10 minutes to get situated

As a side note on the regional/smaller planes - most of them will take the roller bags and store them during the flight, so you don't have access to them in-flight anyway...difference is they are not gate-checked, they are just tagged and given back to you after that leg of your trip...so you don't have to worry about getting anything into an overhead.

It seems I pack less and less these days and a standard roll on small bag and an under the seat bag are fine for me for shorter trips (note I haven't quite managed this on a cruise yet but would love to give it a try LOL). Depending on the size of the aircraft, my roll on is often checked as I board the plane. There is no charge for this and I'm almost grateful I don't have to lift it overhead. It does involve a slight delay in getting to my next gate as I have to wait for it to be unloaded and then roll it through the airport myself. But that is better than facing the prospect of lost luggage.

Archived