Flow Rider 52" Height Min. - how strict are they?

How strict are the at enforcing the 52" minimum height requirement? My son is 50-1/2 but physically is very capable of handling the activity. Do they enforce it or do they let some who are "almost" go through?

I do not know for sure, but I do know from when I worked at Disney World the vast majority of the height requirements are set by the manufacturer for safety reasons. Things like restraints not working properly for a certain height, etc. As I said, I do not know for sure, and in all honestly, you might not find out until you get on board because different crew members might do things differently...

Hi,

It's a height restriction not an ability one. They enforce it. They have very strict health and safety regulations to abide by and do not wish to be sued in the event of an accident where they could be shown to be careless about following the rules.

I never saw them pull out a measuring stick. I saw lots of kids close to that size. Before your first attempt you have to sign a waiver that is where it might happen, have him wear his shoes when signing up ;)

I never saw them pull out a measuring stick. I saw lots of kids close to that size. Before your first attempt you have to sign a waiver that is where it might happen, have him wear his shoes when signing up ;)

LOL - I was thinking - wear shoes and poof his hair. :D

Seriously - if it is more related to age - then I think a little under isn't so bad. But if it is age and maturity related (I know, I know) then he shouldn't be on it.

Edited by temple1

I remember them measuring my older son on Liberty back in November 2007 to be sure he met the height requirement. It is about height and not age or ability.

If your child does not meet the height minimum, they will not give him the bracelet showing he's been cleared to use it.

It's unfortunate but it's about safety. Our younger son was just under 6 but very agile and they would not allow him on the rock wall. They pulled up his ID on the computer and when they saw his birthdate, they denied us.

My son is almost 9, has a black belt in taekwondo, plays on football, baseball and basketball teams and is an experienced snow skiier and rock climber (they Wyoming kind as well as the indoor man-made type). He is more than capable but is small for his age.

However, I totally respect their decision to stick to the height requirement if they must and would never argue the matter with RCCL. I just wondered if any of you experienced your child being denied based on height alone.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Edited by honeywell

They are extremely strict, and do measure the child. With that being said, we had our son go everyday to whoever was working and have them check. The next to last day he made it- don't know if it was the way the person measured or he had just learned to stand as tall as possible without making it too obvious. The stick was right there at the top of his head. They insisted that it could not move back and forth at all for it to count.

How strict are the at enforcing the 52" minimum height requirement? My son is 50-1/2 but physically is very capable of handling the activity. Do they enforce it or do they let some who are "almost" go through?
You still have not left yet, Honeywell? Just kidding......

My DD as 53" on Indy back in November and Yes they were pretty strict!

Can't wait to hear all about it when you return:p;):)

My son is almost 9, has a black belt in taekwondo, plays on football, baseball and basketball teams and is an experienced snow skiier and rock climber (they Wyoming kind as well as the indoor man-made type). He is more than capable but is small for his age.

However, I totally respect their decision to stick to the height requirement if they must and would never argue the matter with RCCL. I just wondered if any of you experienced your child being denied based on height alone.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

It might be a risk for injury issue should he fall off the board. Under a certain height there could be more risk for injury. Excactly how I don't know since I've never seen a flow rider.

As a nurse, I've seen even the most capable person get injured in an unexpected accident. The odds are less but, there's never a 100% guarentee that something out of the ordinary wouldn't happen. Your son is an accomplished climber but, should he have one brief moment in lack of concentration, bad things can still happen. Heck, even pro-sports players get injured in unexpected ways on a regular basis. Capability does not equal invulnerablity. For whatever reason, height appears to be a factor in risk for injury on this contraption.

Since it seems to be all about a size issue rather than a capability issue, I'd say you'll probably find he won't be allowed. A dissapointement I know but probably reality. Heck, I'm well over the height requirement but I bet your son could out preform me on one of those things. I'm reasonably certain that I'm NOT capable on one of those things.

I thought there were two different requirements; one for the boogy boarding and one for the surfing?

There is a stand-up board on the Flow-Rider deck on Liberty that marks off the required height- if you don't "measure up" the answer was no.

• 6 years later...

My second son was denied last year (11 months ago) on the allure. He was just a smidge too short.

He was devastated for a few hours. But there was plenty for him to on the ship.

He said we will just have to take him back again...

My second son was denied last year (11 months ago) on the allure. He was just a smidge too short.

He was devastated for a few hours. But there was plenty for him to on the ship.

He said we will just have to take him back again...

What about the idea of wearing flip flops / water shoes? Or were they pretty sticky on that too?

What about the idea of wearing flip flops / water shoes? Or were they pretty sticky on that too?

Not sure how sticky they are on that but I would tell your son now that he is not tall enough, prepare him for not being able to ride and then IF they let him it is a bonus.

On one of our cruises we saw a child in tears sobbing to his parents and saying "but you told me I could go". The child was about a 1/4 inch shirt on the height gauge.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I wonder if anyone has had success with a "cash gratuity". Maybe $100 in a hand shake buys a half inch?

Wow, buying your child permanent disability or death for $100. An interesting concept.

There will be a reason for the height restriction, it isn't in place just to upset people as the former Theme park employee pointed out. I'm sure there is a safety margin applied so every half inch under reduces the margin until......

When your child is drowning in the rolling stopper wave at the top of the ride is not the time to question whether sidestepping height restrictions was wise.

52" or 132cm for the body board

58" or 147cm for the stand up surf board.

Putting pressure on staff with your child on site isn't fair on the staff who will be first in line in the event of an accident.

Henry :)

Bump from the dead!

Has anyone had to deal with this in the last six months or so? We sail in a couple of weeks and my little dude is 51.5" and he's been looking forward to this for half a year. If he's denied it's going to ruin his vacation.

Our DS was .5 of an inch to short and he was not allowed to ride on the boogie board. He was measured by a sports crew member that I have sailed with 5 times and rode with after hours when the flow rider was closed to the public. They are strict on the height restrictions. The same crew member said he can't wait to teach our son how to boogie board when he is tall enough. That being said we are sailing this March and he is tall enough now.

If you are tall enough you can sign the waiver either personally or by the parents. If the waiver is signed then their liability is covered. The height is why they are so strict.

I wonder if anyone has had success with a "cash gratuity". Maybe $100 in a hand shake buys a half inch?

People complain about kids and teens having the "It's all about me. Rules are for others" personality. I guess we know where they get the idea from.

My 21 year old daughter was just tall enough. Yes, they do enforce it. When she went to sign up to ride, they made her stand by the height signs they have across from the desk to assure she was tall enough. It isn't ability related, it is safety related and they do enforce it.

Not gonna work.... They arent idiots..

Its the rules man... Gotta deal with it.. Its done for a reason.

I guarantee if he got hurt after you got him through you would complain he shouldnt have been allowed to go and would be filing a suit against rccl...

My son cant do the zip line on allure this year.. He blows away the height requirement but doesnt make the weight..

Hmmm.. Maybe I can hide some lead under his shorts???