footwear for the pool? not flip-flops

I'm going on my first cruise in a couple of months and I'm looking for suggestions for what footwear I should buy for wearing at the pool. I don't like flip-flops because I don't feel safe in them, I feel like they are always going to fall off. What other type of shoes would be suitable?

Anything flat and non-skid. Regular sandals will work, and I've seen some "backless" canvas shoes (they look a bit like tennis shoes, but without the ties) and they'd be easy to slip on and off.

You do need SOMETHING when walking about--the deck can get hot enough to really burn your feet!

Anything flat and non-skid. Regular sandals will work, and I've seen some "backless" canvas shoes (they look a bit like tennis shoes, but without the ties) and they'd be easy to slip on and off.

You do need SOMETHING when walking about--the deck can get hot enough to really burn your feet!

Ouch! I've never really been somewhere with a hot climate before so I'm totally clueless! Been stocking up on suncream for my blue skin! :)

I read in a thread last week about a young man who spent the first day running around the pool deck barefoot, and then spent the rest of the cruise in a wheelchair due to the burn he received. OWWWW!:eek:

I'm going on my first cruise in a couple of months and I'm looking for suggestions for what footwear I should buy for wearing at the pool. I don't like flip-flops because I don't feel safe in them, I feel like they are always going to fall off. What other type of shoes would be suitable?

Hi elleccruiser,

If you only want something for the cruise, buy a pair of copy 'crocs'. I didnt even think of shoes to wear to the pool, but wished i had taken my copy croc's.

Hindsight is great!

Cheers

sharon

I don't know if you're planning to do any excursions like snorkeling or anything, but you may want to get a pair of "water shoes." They can do double duty. Speedo makes some. You can wear them in the water and they dry quickly; they have traction on the bottom so you can wear them as regular shoes.

There are lots of casual sandals that will work for the pool that

are not flip flops:)

Just depends on your preference. If you want an open toe but

closed back? Lots of sandals are made that way.

If you prefer a closed shoe, there are true "deck shoes"..Sperry

makes some of the original shoes with good soles that are definitely

non-skid.

Lots of folks wear crocs. Not my choice but they are very

popular.

I like Merril sandals. They have hundreds of styles; I like the Pesaro slides--they can be used around water and are very comfortable. Even with my bad feet (bunions, plantar facisites) I can wear them for hours walking without much trouble.

I'm sorry that I do not know how to attach a link. I've tried!

Help on inserting links, anyone?

I like Merril sandals. They have hundreds of styles; I like the Pesaro slides--they can be used around water and are very comfortable. Even with my bad feet (bunions, plantar facisites) I can wear them for hours walking without much trouble.

I actually have a pair of Merrell walking sandals MRL-W30179_80-05-y.psd.fpx?wid=260&hei=226&align=0,0&qlt=80&op_usm=0.5,1&fmt=jpegSO theses will be ok for the pool? I never thought of them :o (to post the picture I just right-clicked on the picture on a website - selected copy then when writing this message right clicked and selected paste (I say this but it's the first time I've done it, fingers crossed it will work))

I also have Plantar fasciitis, I had my foot taped 2 weeks ago with a corrective taping by a physiotherapist, it's helped a lot :) I've also been massaging my foot by rolling it on a tin can that I keep in the fridge (10 mins, 3 times a day), the cold helps the inflamation and the massage has helped the tightness. I'm not in pain now, hooray, hope it lasts.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Going shopping next weekend, you never know I might end up with another pair of sandals :D. Plans for a new dress too, so excited!

Best pool shoes ever. I own 4 prs in different colours . They do not slip, are easy to get in and out of, are very comfortable , "cheap" and weigh maybe an ounce for baggage needs! Dr Scholl's Originals.

Can you buy these in stores are they only online? Very cute!

Go to the link you want to share, copy the address. When you are going to post, up on the tool bar right below the Smiley face is a blue ball and a piece of chain link click on it and paste address in box. I don't explain these things to well so I hope it helps.:)

I actually have a pair of Merrell walking sandals MRL-W30179_80-05-y.psd.fpx?wid=260&hei=226&align=0,0&qlt=80&op_usm=0.5,1&fmt=jpegSO theses will be ok for the pool? I never thought of them :o (to post the picture I just right-clicked on the picture on a website - selected copy then when writing this message right clicked and selected paste (I say this but it's the first time I've done it, fingers crossed it will work))

I also have Plantar fasciitis, I had my foot taped 2 weeks ago with a corrective taping by a physiotherapist, it's helped a lot :) I've also been massaging my foot by rolling it on a tin can that I keep in the fridge (10 mins, 3 times a day), the cold helps the inflamation and the massage has helped the tightness. I'm not in pain now, hooray, hope it lasts.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Going shopping next weekend, you never know I might end up with another pair of sandals :D. Plans for a new dress too, so excited!

I think those walking sandals would be fine for the pool, but, for me, I like something I can get into and out of more easily, like slides.

I've slacked off on the exercises and cold therapy for the plantar fascitis--it kind of comes and goes. The bunions--well, probably surgery is my only option and I'm scared of it--my sister did not have good luck with her surgery.

Off to try everyone's suggestions on how to do links!

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/15090W/0/Womens/Pesaro?galleryId=W-F

Yay! I think it worked!

I think those walking sandals would be fine for the pool, but, for me, I like something I can get into and out of more easily, like slides.

I've slacked off on the exercises and cold therapy for the plantar fascitis--it kind of comes and goes. The bunions--well, probably surgery is my only option and I'm scared of it--my sister did not have good luck with her surgery.

Off to try everyone's suggestions on how to do links!

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/15090W/0/Womens/Pesaro?galleryId=W-F

Yay! I think it worked!

Yes it did work, thanks for posting the link, they are really nice shoes, I'm just off to have a look for uk stockists.

Yeah, surgery is a bit scary, I've a friend who it worked for but the healing time seemed to take forever.

Lands End has a new water shoe! I gotta get me some of these!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/MaryJaneWaterShoes~191535_253.html

They are really nice too. I think I'm gonna be spending a bit more time on the internet! :) gonna look up the other styles of crocs too, I wasn't keen on the original chunky with holes ones but the newer ones sound more my thing. I didn't know that dr Scholl made more modern styles too! going to look them up too.

Yeah, surgery is a bit scary, I've a friend who it worked for but the healing time seemed to take forever.

I just had bunion surgery on 2/26 and at the end of 3 weeks I was allowed back in [real] shoes. At that point I started back into my exercise program, although I kept it Low-Impact for a couple of weeks. I haven't experienced any pain at all, only some discomfort that comes with swelling. :)

I just had bunion surgery on 2/26 and at the end of 3 weeks I was allowed back in [real] shoes. At that point I started back into my exercise program, although I kept it Low-Impact for a couple of weeks. I haven't experienced any pain at all, only some discomfort that comes with swelling. :)

That's very encouraging, also Elle Cruisers post about a friend. I keep putting the surgery off partly worried it won't work, partly afraid of so much down time. Three weeks sounds great--I do need both feet done, though.

I, too, have a friend who had both feet done at once and was very happy--although her recovery was much longer. I need to remember that my sister has severe rheumatoid arthritis, which may have impacted her success.

I thought it would be more like months until I could exercise again--that would just about kill me.

i just got some really comfty snug sandals from naturalizer, called cooler, comes in camelot, white, and black leather.

and a note on the crocs, the ones you normally at stores and theme parks are just as bad as flip flops. i work security and have to do reports on all injuries that happen on property. we have to note the type of shoe and those crocs are a lot of times what people who fall are wearing.

Lands End has a new water shoe! I gotta get me some of these!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/MaryJaneWaterShoes~191535_253.html

Houndmom- what a great find! Those are really adorable water shoes; I'm almost thinking of ordering them. My only hesitation is I have a pair that are fairly new. I always bring water shoes on most vacations/cruises BC they're great for water parks, snorkeling (and going to/from the snorkeling site), etc.

Some think I'm crazy, but I find Crocs deadly by the pool...or anywhere there is a bit of water. I have several styles and all seem to slip around water. I would never wear my Crocs for the pool as I am deathly afraid of falling.

LLBean has very similar to the maryjane shown but with the strap a little closer to ankle. They work great for water aerobics and they have never shown any wear in almost daily use in the swimming pool (chlorine is VERY stong) and only "wear out" when the velcro strap weakens. I am on year 3 for my bright pink ones (of course the ugly last forever). I have seen them on sale for less than $30. I agree on crocs -- they are just not safe especially for kids on an asphalt playground. They throw children and adults forward causing broken arms and facial damage and the strap has gotten caught in escalators.

Archived