Random thoughts about 3/29 Solstice

FinelyCruising

As some know, this was a cruise that I book when opened, cancelled in December and rebooked in February.... Thank Heavens, we had an incredible cruise!!!

The good the bad and the ugly is that there were so many negative comments since this ship came out that I was sure taking this cruise would be a mistake. I was encouraged by some to not give up on the ship, and since I had already booked the airfare when air opened from NJ to FLL, I am glad that the ice cold here in NJ in January and the encouragement of some others made me book again. So this 'review' will cover the negatives that I heard loud and long in case someone like me, a long time X cruiser, does not miss out on a great ship.

I will be the first to admit I thought the MDR was wrong in terms of the structure. It was still wrong as far as I was concerned for those support struts, but for all those who got the 'color' of the room wrong, I'd like to set the record straight that the carpeting is a sage grey with a beautiful pattern, the chairs are not white but are a platinum like metal metallic leather back with a sage grey embroidered vine patterned seat each with a coordinated cording detail not found on any X ship I have ever been on.

Which brings me to some details that have been missed....the idea that this ship is cold is far from accurate. The drapes are burn-out patterned, the chairs in lounges are embroidered chenille on leather in deep jewel tones of burgundy and green and gold, offset with warm golden accents against lighter gold and charcoal fabrics with contrast cording with the use of wood and texture and fabric is unlike any ship in the fleet. Yes, the Martini bar is cool, its so cool there is an ice strip that makes up the surface of the bar. No kidding, ice like a skating rink on the drink surface to keep the martinis perfect.

The cabins have a rust color and grey and cream color patterned stacked linear pattern carpet to coordinate with the dark silver grey and rust vine pattern throw at the foot of the bead and the silver grey and pale sage throw pillows on the bed with crisp duvet linens of golden mustard and white, and I mean crisp, crisp, crisp. Not a wrinkle on them. The drapes are missing the familiar sheers but are dead on with their alternating burn out scroll pattern and swaths of solid opaque gossamer highlighted against the practical thermal backing of the tied back drape when evening privacy is needed. The sofa is a pearl soft metallic leather with rust colored and charcoal accent pillows, artwork is deep red with dark frames and lit with unobtrusive accent lighting in the cabin.

There are common area rooms that are spectacular, Cafe al Baccio is beyond stunning and its use is more than I ever saw with Cova. The Ensemble Lounge is the best of the Radiance Class ships in terms of its central location to the specialty dining venues. And continuing in this idea, the design for the windowed specialty dining areas was brilliant with plenty of opportunity for tables for two to enjoy a really special experience. The ship is Luxe.

Tuscan Grille was an amazing venue, spot on in terms of pampered and educated service, food and presentation to match, wine knowledge as good as the specialty venues on M-Class. Murano we thought was over-rated and outclassed on this ship by the MDR offerings, Tuscan Grille and what we have come to know as the specialty venues on the M-Class ships.

MDR was a food adventure. The menu offerings were fresh and new and inventive. Salads were never better, the ingredients picture fresh and the dressings creative and added in just the right amounts to complement and not crush the finer and softer lettuce offerings in these new menus. Thinking that the menu has actually been diminished as a result of cost savings is a big leap, the food is probably the best we have had on board and it was prepared very well, never did we confuse it with wedding hall fare, we just found it superior to that concept in real terms.

Random tid-bits include bathroom storage...amazing, shower head; no worries its a great adjustable shower head, probably better than most homes have, cabin storage is a bit awkward but I think our 14 night TA will not have a space issue at all although it is a fact that floor length gowns do not fit in the closet. There are nice hooks that will be right for them elsewhere, and the shower has good hooks for drip dry despite the lack of the much remembered clothes line. There is no doubt that there is a TP holder issue in the bathroom. Like many overpriced fancy decorative TP holders in home bathrooms this is similar...take the TP off the holder and you will be able to make a connection with your needs.

Pool deck chairs are abundant, they are just close as there are no little round occassional tables to use to separate them but there are plenty of loungers, all padded and quite comfortable. Solarium was freezing but there are amazing amenities to be found in this area. The Mast Grill on the upper pool deck is a great idea. The buffet area of Oceanview Cafe is still a circle of areas for me but the offerings are surprising, the two sizes of plates along with the full size coffee cups and the blu glasses are perfect for atmosphere and use. I did not mind the do-it-yourself water/juice/iced tea/lemonade machines along with coffee and tea, I did get a bit concerned with the wet floors so care here is needed for safety reasons. They did keep them up but it can get wet. Did not miss the cafeteria trays or the cafeteria rails one bit. Really liked the napkin wrapped fork and knife, did not miss the circular stand-up silverware holders with the round cut outs that were so school cafe/dishwasher style.

Fitness Center is state of the art. Classes are exceptional. Spa did not push one item post massage. Can you believe it? Glass show was great. The Lawn area was well used for Bocce and other enjoyments, it is changed regularly and in 4 days looks like its been there forever. Home lawns should be so good!

Tipping...for the ya-hoo that suggested to this board after one time on Celebrity the authoritative comment that the Oceanview Cafe service personnel are in no way connected to the MDR staff and are therefore somehow ineligible for a tip for endless service...don't get me started.

Got on the ship in a second and off with luggage all together like spoons in a drawer. It might have been good that I have not sailed in two years to see these quiet accomplishments that Celebrity has achieved in this time. Other things to wow over were seeing your photos on your in cabin TV instead of hunting for so many of them in the photo area. There is a new idea in the photo area for glamour shots or memorable photos called Deep Blue Studios. If you want special, this is as good and as high end as it gets in creativity and is beyond conventional imagination.

The shows were worth the effort to get there early for a seat, I did miss the tables of the M-Class but found the bar service personnel to be more available than ever before in a Celebrity theatre.

Service was as good as/better than ever, slots are tight, craps rules are not land based. The one famous line we walked into was in the elevator (where else) where we joined two sweet ladies, one fiercely lamenting to her friend 'that lady was an idiot'. What can one do when being included in a private conversation by accidental timing, but to agree even when having a great time there is no mistaking noticing the ship was indeed found to have its fair share of idiots.

Present company excepted.

Ooh! Juat booked Solstice for November in the Med for a chance to try the new ship, and your review gave me chills! We loved our time on Summit last year, but I have to admit that the decor, especially the 'charming' orange and blue (?) of the cabins, was a bit off-putting. I'm not crazy about the itin, but couldn't resist the grest pricing for the new ship, and we were able to snag what appears to be one of the 'secret' hump cabins with the big balconies. SO, it now appears we made a good decision. Thanks so much for the info--now I am really excited!!

Cathy

Cheryl,

Thanks for the nice review. :)

I forgot to mention the frangrance from the waffles and the french toast and the pancakes was to die for. I did have some.;)

There was also a Brunch Buffet in the MDR one day from 11-2 and the server was saying that we were lucky, the line for the waffles is usually very long. On another note, there was a White Chocolate Fondue tower at one of the stations that was just amazing. Talk about a reason to go back!

Ooh! Juat booked Solstice for November in the Med for a chance to try the new ship, and your review gave me chills! We loved our time on Summit last year, but I have to admit that the decor, especially the 'charming' orange and blue (?) of the cabins, was a bit off-putting. I'm not crazy about the itin, but couldn't resist the grest pricing for the new ship, and we were able to snag what appears to be one of the 'secret' hump cabins with the big balconies. SO, it now appears we made a good decision. Thanks so much for the info--now I am really excited!!

Cathy

I think you are going to be happy!

I was on the Solstice on March 15 and loved it! I am surprised that no one seems to have mentioned the chairs on the balcony. They were so much better than the funny plastic ones usually seen. These are a sort of firm mesh fabric and they tilt back so you can snooze or just relax. We were just in a regular balcony stateroom so I think these chairs were on all the 'regular' balconies. I don't know about the suites, but I was very surprised and pleased at these chairs.

I was on the Solstice on March 15 and loved it! I am surprised that no one seems to have mentioned the chairs on the balcony. They were so much better than the funny plastic ones usually seen. These are a sort of firm mesh fabric and they tilt back so you can snooze or just relax. We were just in a regular balcony stateroom so I think these chairs were on all the 'regular' balconies. I don't know about the suites, but I was very surprised and pleased at these chairs.

Yes, high end, high back chairs that have reclining stops. :)

Glad you had such a good time (as expected) and appreciate your review. However, it is time for you to get of the internet and email your friends;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Did your chairs have footrests? I was surprised that we did not have them on our balcony...

If you have a C1, C2 cabin, then you'll have a separate foot stool.

Cheryl, thank you for your review. I too, was extremely impressed with the brilliant colors and textures used for this ship. There is nothing garish...just luxurious.

Were you able to dance? Where? Do I understand correctly that the Rendez-vous Lounge style is not available? (We love to go to R-v Lounge every night before dinner to dance. This is why I ask.)

Thanks for the descriptions; I, too, had a lot of reservations due to the photos, or comments from other posters. So much that I had all but decided that this ship is not for us.

BTW--I agree with the review about the MDR struts, the lovely draperies, Tuican Grill being lovely & the Ensemble Lounge...On our cruise they had dancing to a nice band at the Passport bar area--a really nice spot to meet before or after dinner.

What an eloquent, descriptive review. Your fine use of the English language really transported me to the ship!! You are obviously a very discerning, detail-oriented person and I certainly appreciate that you took the time to express how impressed you were with Solstice. Now I really can't wait to see it all myself.

I'm also just back from the Solstice cruise of 3/29 and I agree with Cheryl in just about everything. The ship is BEAUTIFUL! It was an amazing cruise and I am so glad I went. I was with a family party of 8 and we all had a wonderful time. Everyone on the ship went out of there way to accommodate you and they were all so friendly. I just can't say enough good things about the ship. It was just a totally awesome trip and I can't wait to do it again in the future.

I forgot to mention the frangrance from the waffles and the french toast and the pancakes was to die for. I did have some.;)

No will power, huh? :D

Archived