Informal nights - men without jackets

triglav

Yes, people wear jeans during the day and on tours. We do the Caribb., so folks who wear them are usually going horsback riding. Too hot for anyone else to wear them out and about. We were originally talking about the dinner hour. If you have any qualms or questions, just give SS a call.

I'm just saying I have never seen it in Europe, Caribbean or Middle East. People still had on collared shirts and looked fine. I was just rather surprised by how many there were, and this was going on into tea, trivia, sailaway, and yes, after 6 up until the pool bar closed at 6:30 or 7 on informal night but not formal. On this cruise, there were not very many Americans, but there were 43 of us, and a lot of the people in jeans traveled a very long ways. Like I said, I had on my dark denim pants some off the ship. First time ever for me, and I brought them because it was far. I normally wear twill pants, still pretty casual.

I would say there were more in the upper 40s to 60s on this cruise than we have seen in the past. Without much restriction on baggage allowance, I felt more free to bring such outfits vs. barely the minimum for day and then the 3 dress codes. I imagine that is another reason for seeing more variety in clothes. Just like bringing formal wear adds to a suitcase, so do various types of casual wear if you start bringing work-out outfits, bathing suits, tennis shoes, twill pants, jeans, etc. for two weeks.

It's more to do with climate than anything else. If you've taken SS only in the tropics, of course you haven't seen any jeans. It's crazy to wear one in subtropics. But in a milder to cooler climate, then jeans are very comfortable, and you see them on SS during the day. Never at night, not yet anyway.

I assume that was meant to be humorous. SS has a dress code, your husband does not choose to accept it, why are you going on this ship?

Actually I wasn't being humorous. Why do you have to sit there all stuffy and proper and eat with your jacket on? Who really cares if you are abiding by the dress rule by wearing a jacket to dinner and decide to take it off because you are too warm or feeling restricted? Who cares? I certainly don't go around watching everyone at dinner to see who is and isn't wearing a jacket while they are eating. My husband is a beautiful dresser and has a great body so I would rather be looking at him!

In answer to your other qestion, we are going on this cruise to have a holiday and enjoy ourselves. :D

On the first informal night on a recent 14-day cruise I sat down at a table of eight with three men in jackets and ties.

On the way back to the cabin to put on a tie (my wife first telling me I hadn't brought one) a search did reveal a complete lack of them; but turned up a swag of non-black, but reasonably subdued bow-ties brought to wear on formal nights.

A turn of a light-blue one around an upturned collar, a tuck here and a tying there and back to the table to get on with it. Happy event!

My own observations on these burning issues. Jeans: I wear them a lot at home but have never taken them on a cruise. We have cruised SS for about 12 years and never saw jeans aboard until a Middle East- Eastern Med cruise April May of last year. And the jeans were few and far between, and only during the day. They really did look out of place.

Dress code: I have never seen a man remove his jacket to eat in the Restaurant. I also do not understand why wearing a jacket at a meal would be regarded as too uncomfortable. I would never sit down and remove my jacket at a fine dry land restaurant. My wife and I enjoy the formal nights and find that the dress codes are among the things that make an SS cruise special and different from our daily lives at home. So, we agree with those who have pointed out that there are lots of cruise lines, and those who dislike SS's dress codes have other choices.

I also do not understand why wearing a jacket at a meal would be regarded as too uncomfortable. I would never sit down and remove my jacket at a fine dry land restaurant. My wife and I enjoy the formal nights and find that the dress codes are among the things that make an SS cruise special and different from our daily lives at home. So, we agree with those who have pointed out that there are lots of cruise lines, and those who dislike SS's dress codes have other choices.

On my SS cruise last December, I was concerned about the formal nights. As a result I took 2 ball gowns and 1 cocktail dress. I'm glad that I did...I haven't dressed up in years and the formal nights were a fabulous experience. The ladies all looked lovely and the men spectacular in their tuxes or white jackets and there were kilts too.

I don't really understand the jacket problem for men - the restaurants are all airconditioned.

So if people don't like the dress codes, don't travel SS or plan to have room service instead.

Cheers

Ging466

Where is it a written policy that formal means a man has to sit and eat with his jacket on? Btw, my DH is in the industry at a fine dining establishment.

Btw, I am taking a SS cruise that has no formal nights.

If I might weigh in here, I think the question of not removing a jacket at the dining table is simply custom. I don't think there is a written policy about this, it is simply "unwritten custom" that a man will dine at the table completely dressed, jacket and all - as compared to women, who remove jackets, stoles, whatever, whenever they choose. On many occasions when we were dining out I have asked my husband, who perhaps was too warm, to remove his jacket for his own comfort. He never does. Its just "not done" by him, and I guess perhaps an etiquette or custom matter - he simply would never remove his jacket when out for an event - standing at an event, or sitting down and dining - just not something he would feel comfortable doing.

BTW - we are going to Alaska on the Shadow in June :p , and I plan to wear jeans during the day, on our excursions and in town - seems appropriate to me - if that means I dine at breakfast and lunch in jeans, well - so what. I'm certainly not going to change to go to the restaurant during the day before or after an excursion, and then change back. Of course, I hope to take other types of daytime pants as well.

If I might weigh in here, I think the question of not removing a jacket at the dining table is simply custom. I don't think there is a written policy about this, it is simply "unwritten custom" that a man will dine at the table completely dressed, jacket and all - as compared to women, who remove jackets, stoles, whatever, whenever they choose. On many occasions when we were dining out I have asked my husband, who perhaps was too warm, to remove his jacket for his own comfort. He never does. Its just "not done" by him, and I guess perhaps an etiquette or custom matter - he simply would never remove his jacket when out for an event - standing at an event, or sitting down and dining - just not something he would feel comfortable doing.

BTW - we are going to Alaska on the Shadow in June :p , and I plan to wear jeans during the day, on our excursions and in town - seems appropriate to me - if that means I dine at breakfast and lunch in jeans, well - so what. I'm certainly not going to change to go to the restaurant during the day before or after an excursion, and then change back. Of course, I hope to take other types of daytime pants as well.

I was on the Whisper last year from Singapore to Vietnam and wore jeans most days we were touring especially the more north of Vietnam we got - and to breakfast and lunch. We had a large European group on board with us who were great (very relaxed and definately not stuffy ) and they also wore jeans during the day. ;)

I plan on packing my jeans for this trip also!

My and I recently sailed in the Antarctic on the PA - I realize this is not your everyday SS cruise - in fact I'd say it's more of an expedition

Morning and Daywear was usually track pants, sweatpants, and jeans - At lunch it was country club casual (at best) including jeans, shorts, and golf shirts

I'm not aware that anyone was turned away

For dinner it ranged the gamut from nice jeans to country club to suits - There was a captians dinner and the pax tended to dress up a little more that evening but not much more - I assume on the same ship in the arctic you can expect similar

My point being that although SS had a dress code (in theory) on this sailing - on specific SS voyages and specific SS ships it is relaxed just as much as it may not be on other SS sailings or ships and IMO the relaxation of 'Millionaires' casually dressed did not in any way come off anything like I've seen on a Carnival or NCL cruise (lol)

The sailing IMO was at least 50% past SS pax - some of whom may or may not have not liked the casualness of the sailing but - but I'm not aware of such complaints per se

jc

toronto

My and I recently sailed in the Antarctic on the PA - I realize this is not your everyday SS cruise - in fact I'd say it's more of an expedition

Morning and Daywear was usually track pants, sweatpants, and jeans - At lunch it was country club casual (at best) including jeans, shorts, and golf shirts

I'm not aware that anyone was turned away

For dinner it ranged the gamut from nice jeans to country club to suits - There was a captians dinner and the pax tended to dress up a little more that evening but not much more - I assume on the same ship in the arctic you can expect similar

My point being that although SS had a dress code (in theory) on this sailing - on specific SS voyages and specific SS ships it is relaxed just as much as it may not be on other SS sailings or ships and IMO the relaxation of 'Millionaires' casually dressed did not in any way come off anything like I've seen on a Carnival or NCL cruise (lol)

The sailing IMO was at least 50% past SS pax - some of whom may or may not have not liked the casualness of the sailing but - but I'm not aware of such complaints per se

jc

toronto

Thanks. we are going on PAII and this sounds like our experience on Minerva with A&K. people dresses down but up for the Captains and Farewell dinners but still looked better than what you are describing on Carnival or NCL, but than again we did not see shorts in Antarctica (just for those in the gym).

The PAII, being an expedition ship, is different from the other SS ships. A more casual dress style is part of the deal and explicitly stated in their promotion of the ship. The four other ships are traditional luxury cruise ships with a stated dress code. However, I have been wearing jeans during the day since 1994 since I first sailed on the Cloud and it has never been a problem.

thanks to formal nights, i learned to tie a bow tie for the dec 20 south africa cruise on the wind.

very happy choice!!!

i was happy to dress up, as raty casual is my normal attire...

also met the ubiquitous 'duct tape' and mr 'duct tape', too...

• 9 months later...

As a new member of cruise critic I am browsing through past postings.

Iagree with Duct Tape - SS is a 6 star cruise line and tries to maintain appropriate dress code standards and long may it continue.On a recent 51 day cruise on the Shadow the code was enforced strictly and to the approval of the majority of the guests. There are plenty of ships out there for those not requiring standards of dress to sail on.

I just re-read this thread too and it got me thinking.

Have any of you heard of a situation where a passenger simply refuses to follow the dress code, is refused entry and then goes in anyway? I imagine security would be called, but what then, if the passenger won't cooperate?

Archived