Informal nights - men without jackets

triglav

Please can you advise if men will be allowed into the dining room with just a smart shirt. We are doing a summer med cruise (when we hope it will be hot) and would prefer not to pack an extra jacket as well as a dinner suit as our airline luggage allowance is tight. We will be a party of eight youngsters and on our own table do you think anyone would object?

You missed April Fool's. Quite a few people will notice. Wear a blazer on the plane and you are just fine. SS prides itself on enforcement of the dress code. Bon Voyage!

It is smart casual on PAII and I know my DH does not plan to bring a jacket. I assume the expeditions are run differently than the other SS cruises?

We were just on Minerva with A & K and they made it clear there was no dress code (on that expedition even through there was a Captains Reception and Farewell Reception etc. - our cruise on PAII sounds similar) On Minerva people needed to be ready to run out of the dining room for whale spottings so parkas were often seen there. I'm assuming PAII will be the same but everyone is hoping to spot bears...I know my camera will be with me at dinner on PAII as well.

We had someone on our last caribbean cruise who tried to go to the restaurant on an informal night without the jacket. Maitre D' refused to let him dine like that. So unless you want to eat in the Terrace Cafe or in your room....bring a jacket

It's important for the OP (I'm assuming you're a first time SS cruiser or you wouldn't be asking this question) to understand the difference between informal and casual. You might be mistaking the two. On casual nights you can indeed wear just a smart shirt into the restaurant. But on informal nights a jacket is required. However, you can circumvent that by dining in La Terazza on those nights and you won't need to pack an extra jacket. Just be sure you make reservations early as it fill up fast.

It is my understanding that on Informal nights, jackets are required everywhere for drinking & dining. That has also been my experience on SS. Gentlemen (?) without jackets are sent back to get one. I have even seen some men (note lack of 'gentle' prefix) send their women on that chore! On formal nights, you may dine in the Terrace without formal attire, but you still need a jacket. There is always room service!

Triglav,

I think your question has been answered. On informal nights you may not dine in the restaurant without a jacket. You may dine at La Terrazza without one. On formal nights you may dine at La Terrazza without a tux but you must wear a jacket. So the rule is one step down in formality at La Terrazza from the dining room.

Please can you advise if men will be allowed into the dining room with just a smart shirt. We are doing a summer med cruise (when we hope it will be hot) and would prefer not to pack an extra jacket as well as a dinner suit as our airline luggage allowance is tight. We will be a party of eight youngsters and on our own table do you think anyone would object?

Which cruise are you doing? We are also doing the Med this August/September. My husband hates wearing a jacket especially on the Summer cruises but as we are spending a few days in London pre cruise (where he will probably need it) he will definaately pack a casual jacket and take it off the minute he sits down for dinner.;)

I agree with duct tape...if you don't like to follow the dress code....don't go. I am always one of the youngest on board and I would never even consider not to follow the dress code. If I would nopt want to dress up I'd go another cruise line. But if there are rules....follow them or choose another line

Casual nights - No jacket required. Nice shirt and pants. No jeans or denim.

Informal Nights - Jacket required. Tie optional.

Formal Nights - Tux or dark suit with a tie.

Other dining options listed in previous response. Again, this is the way it is. Perhaps you may need to rethink taking SS.

Casual nights - No jacket required. Nice shirt and pants. No jeans or denim.

Informal Nights - Jacket required. Tie optional.

Formal Nights - Tux or dark suit with a tie.

Other dining options listed in previous response. Again, this is the way it is. Perhaps you may need to rethink taking SS.

In the old days, casual meant sport jacket and informal was dark suit and tie. Formal was tux, period. Before that, informal was dinner jacket and formal was tails. Times change, and the standard gets lower and lower. I saw President Obama with white tie and dinner jacket for one of the balls which struck me as strange(he changed to tails in later balls, thank god). Pretty soon 'casual' is going to mean jeans and T-shirt, and formal a sport jacket. I think I've read somewhere that Carnival's dress code is just that already.

Scotchman???

The name is Scotsman.

The dress code on SS is clearly set out in the voyage atlas and if someone does not wish to comply with these suggestions perhaps it would be best for them to choose a different cruise line.

I have worn a kilt outfit on some formal nights and it's usually a hit with most people.

Aye, and you'll no' find there's anything worn below the kilt.

Which cruise are you doing? We are also doing the Med this August/September. My husband hates wearing a jacket especially on the Summer cruises but as we are spending a few days in London pre cruise (where he will probably need it) he will definaately pack a casual jacket and take it off the minute he sits down for dinner.;)

My DH's jacket also goes on the back of the chair as it's too uncomfortable to wear while he eats. It than goes back in the cabin right after dinner.

"We just sailed on Carnival and I did not see 1 tux. Only about 1/2 of the men even wore a sport coat or tie.

Formal dress to the other half meant "no shorts". In fact, that is the suggestion in the Capers for proper attire. "

I found this on the Carnival board. Do you suppose Silversea is fighting a losing battle? A scary thought.

The Asia sailing this week is the first time I have ever seen jeans on SS, and this was during the tours and by quite a few guests. While I wasn't wearing blue jeans, I did wear denim pants on one tour, as I was so tired from all the long travels.

Archived