Flight advice for a Newbie... please!

Hello all!!

I am new to this and to cruising. We have booked our first one on Voyager of the Seas departing Barcelona 12 July.

I know there are many threads on this site basically asking the same question and general responses are No, dont fly the same day as you sail... but I thought I would ask about my situation.

We are booked to fly UK to Barcelona on the morning of 12 July (via CDG, Paris)

Depart UK 06.15

Arrive Paris 09.15

Depart Paris 12.40

Arrive Barcelona 14.20

We need to be checked-in at the port for 17.30 as sailing is at 19.00

Is it worth changing our flights and booking hotel for night before? We have a very large group and are finding it would be expensive.

Also if we do miss the ship, can we fly onto the next port and join the ship there?

Thank you!

x

I am not sure how far the airport is from the pier......I also have heard that changing planes at CDG can be a PITA.....

however, you should be OK.....personally i would never fly in the day of a cruise (well most likely never.....)

you can fly to the next port...if you can get a seat on a flight at the last minute, but of course it will be at your own expense......

check out the cruise air board here as well....lots of road warriors who will have great info for you too.

We always consider flying in the day before as "insurance". We are there, our bags are there.

Granted it is expensive with a large group, but how expensive would it be to fly to the next port and miss part of the cruise? This is your first cruise. Is it worth the extra $$$ to be rested and ready to enjoy your first day?

You would have to ask RCCL about boarding at the next port.

Hi we are also flying with Easyjet from Uk to Barcelona on 21 July.Our flight arrives at 13.25 in Barcelona.Hopefully the flight is on time but it gives us a few hours delay time should there be a problem.If your too worried about it i would say book for the day before and stay overnight but in our case we cant due to work.

3 hours to get from the airport in Barcelona to the port is ample. Having a 1900 hours departure is very helpful as the usual 1700 would be tight. The first night is always casual and if you are on first seating dinner you can always go to the Windjammer later instead, if you feel a bit rushed.

But why do you have 3 hours in Paris? Is there no better connection?

I would always travel the day before if it was Transatlantic or mid-winter but within Europe in July it should be fine.

Hello all!!

I am new to this and to cruising. We have booked our first one on Voyager of the Seas departing Barcelona 12 July.

We are the June 21st sailing. Have a great time. You should be ok with your flights.

You're taking a chance by arriving the same day, a few hours before sailing. Too many unknowns in the crazy world of flying. Weather, break downs even bad weather in other parts of the world can affect your flight. The smarest thing you could do is book a flight for the day before. This will give you plenty of time to arrive, relax a bit before the next day for boarding.

As far as missing the boat and going to the next port? Yes, you could do that, IF you can find a flight that will arrive in time to meet the boat, IF there is a seat available on board the flight, if... well you get the point. TOOOOOO many if's involved. Remember!! This is your 1st cruise. You want it to be as trouble free and hassel free , so you can enjoy it and remember the good times, not the nightmares. How often are you going to take this type of cruise?? Maybe never again, right? Change the flight, search around for rooms for the x-tra night and pamper yourself to a fun vacation. You'll be sooooo glad you did.

You're taking a chance by arriving the same day, a few hours before sailing. Too many unknowns in the crazy world of flying. Weather, break downs even bad weather in other parts of the world can affect your flight. The smarest thing you could do is book a flight for the day before. This will give you plenty of time to arrive, relax a bit before the next day for boarding.

As far as missing the boat and going to the next port? Yes, you could do that, IF you can find a flight that will arrive in time to meet the boat, IF there is a seat available on board the flight, if... well you get the point. TOOOOOO many if's involved. Remember!! This is your 1st cruise. You want it to be as trouble free and hassel free , so you can enjoy it and remember the good times, not the nightmares. How often are you going to take this type of cruise?? Maybe never again, right? Change the flight, search around for rooms for the x-tra night and pamper yourself to a fun vacation. You'll be sooooo glad you did.

I agree 1000% with Olderbutwiser. You'll enjoy your holiday much more if the first day is travel and you get to relax the second day/boarding day. We find that boarding day can be a lot of fun IF you arrive the day before. And you won't have to get up in the middle of the night to start your holiday if you fly the day before. I know it's more money, but you will have a much better trip if you do it!!!

Good luck whatever you decide!!!!

I just got back from Rome. (yes, different airports, but illustrative of delays)

The flight didn't leave on time.

Weather? nope

Mechanical problems? Nope

Crew issue? Nope

Security issue? Nope

It just wasn't our time to depart. We pushed back from the jetway close to the scheduled time. But the captain announced that the traffic tower had informed him that our "slot" for takeoff was about an hour later. Busy airport. But these were all regularly scheduled flights. No *reason* for a delay.

So we sat and waited. (couldn't block the jetway)

We got home just fine, but these are the kinds of delays that *can* occur.

Flying in on the day of embarkation with a change in airports would make me more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. ;)

Hello all!!

I know there are many threads on this site basically asking the same question and general responses are No, dont fly the same day as you sail... but I thought I would ask about my situation.

We are booked to fly UK to Barcelona on the morning of 12 July (via CDG, Paris)

Depart UK 06.15

Arrive Paris 09.15

Depart Paris 12.40

Arrive Barcelona 14.20

We need to be checked-in at the port for 17.30 as sailing is at 19.00

Is it worth changing our flights and booking hotel for night before? We have a very large group and are finding it would be expensive.

Also if we do miss the ship, can we fly onto the next port and join the ship there?

Thank you!

x

A lot of the advice on flying in early has to do with the distance you are flying, the time of year, and where you are flying to.

I live in Atlanta and have no issue flying in the morning of the cruise when it is departing from a Florida port. That is because it is a 1-2 hour flight and there are many per day. However when I sailed out of San Juan I flew in the day before because it was a much further distance and many less flights.

Since you are staying within the EU I do not think it will be too big of a deal to fly day of. Plus you are flying in the summer so you shouldn't have to worry too much about the weather.

I think you should take the stress out of the situation and fly in the day before. The port is not far from the airport but you have connections to make which increases the risk. I have worked for a major airline for the last twenty years, take my advice, fly in the day before. Barcelona is a beautiful city, you could fly in, take a city tour (about two hours on a bus) and enjoy.

I would personally never fly in the day of the cruise. Adds to much stress if my flights are slightly delayed. To each their own, but I would much prefer having an extra day of "wiggle" room in case of delays, strikes, etc - especially flying through CDG! I have known multiple people that have had their bags delayed through that airport, even though they arrived at their final destinations on time!

This is coming from a Platinum flyer on Delta. You simply can't predict what *could* go wrong with your flights.

Thank you everyone for those responses, you have helped me greatly!! ;)

We have found a seemingly good deal which we are all happy with the price, for flying the day before and staying in apartments in Barcelona the night before sailing but I cannot find any information on them... anyone help?

Is the apartments central? Reasonably near port or airport (we would have to arrange our own tranfers)

Anyone stayed here before and would receommend?

Parque Ciutadella Apartments, Barcelona

Thank you!

x

The port is only 20 mins by taxi from the airport but I agree with others in saying there is less stress by flying the day before. You can then board just after 11am next day with no queues feeling refreshed and just sit back and watch the rest join the ship.

Also Barcelona is great because the duty free shop is right after security and you are able to take a couple of bottles of something on the ship in your hand luggage and with Blue label Smirnoff at €9 a litre it's a good facility to have :)

• 2 months later...

http://www.easytobook.com/en/spain/barcelona/barcelona/parque-ciutadella-apartments/

I hope you can open the link.

I Goggled your location and it is not too far from the pier.

I'd guess it's about 30-35 minutes from the airport. That's just a guess though. When we arrived in Barcelona the day before our cruise, It cost us about 35E's with baggage & tip included to get from airport to our hotel located just off of 'Las Ramble'. Your apts are located a little further away. So I'd give another guess and estimate it might cost nearer to 40--45E's, all costs included to get to your apts. From the Apts to the pier would cost about 30E's. These are just estimates, you understand. If there are more than 2 traveling, then look around for the larger Yellow/Black VAN style taxi. These can accomdate 4-5 travelers with close to 7 average size suitcases. (50 pounds each US Weight) We had 4 adults, (plus the driver and could still get another person aboard)with 5 suitcases and had no problem. Our carry-on's were on our laps. Saves money instead of getting 2 taxis and getting seperated.

We flew in on a Sunday morning, refreshed ourselves and then boarded a Hop on -hop off bus tour of the city . 3 hours ride around without getting off. By then, the all night airplane ride caught up with us, we had an early dinner and hit the sack. But it was a pleasure to have a relaxing breakfeast in the hotel and casually get a taxi to take us to the pier by 11 AM for the early boarding the next morning. Boarding was very swift with Royal Carribean 'SEAPASS' paperwork pre- filled out by computer.

They offer a buffet to early boarders in the Windjamer Cafe on board. It's the way to go! Enjoy your holiday.

But why do you have 3 hours in Paris? Is there no better connection?

I would always travel the day before if it was Transatlantic or mid-winter but within Europe in July it should be fine.

Trust me, you need the 3 hours in Paris. We were on a trans-Atlantic that RCI had scheduled a 1 hour 15 minute change in Paris. Fortunately, there were 40 or 50 of us returning from Barcelona to Houston with the change at CDG. I say "fortunately" because the year before they missed that connection and were held overnight. This time Air France held the flight waiting for us rather than putting us up. I can't tell you how thrilled the passengers who had been sitting on that plane for an hour waiting for us were. They had an AF employee (young and with the longest legs you have seen this side of the Rockettes) shepherd us through the airport for the connection. It took one and a half hours to get us to our departure. This was someone who knew where she was going, read and spoke the language, and put us at the front of every passport/security line when there wasn't one opened especially for us.

As long as your flights are on time, you should be o.k. Not sure, though, if they have rules in Spain like in the US where you have to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to departure time. It is a question I would ask. The ride from the airport to the pier in a cab is approximately1/2 an hour and about 40 euros.

Tucker in Texas

You can argue this point both ways. I am in favor of arriving ahead of time, although I currently have a cruise out of Hawaii that I am flying into the same day.

My point is, you are asking the question. So you must be concerned. It is hard to put a price tag on that. If you are going to worry all the way to the pier, maybe you should just change your plans and make your life easier. You might even get to see a little of Barcellona before you sail. Good Sailing, Murf

Archived