Trivia-Fun or Cut Throat

Penguins Lover

I just got off the Infinity and had a great time. The service was great and the activity staff was very good. I just wanted to know how people feel about trivia. I always go to trivia to meet people and have fun, winning is nice, but if we don't win it is not the end of the world. There was a man on board who had words with fellow passengers because he always wanted to be right. One day we were correcting our answers and this passenger wanted the answer to be James Bond, but the song was from Goldfinger and the staff member said either one, the passenger got angry and the other passenger said mark it wrong, it is only for fun and a pen and he pointed right at her and said it is not about the pen, but about being right. He was real angry. I am just curious, are these events more than being fun because I do not want to insult anyone in the future if most people view it as more?

Penguins lover, I would love to be on your trivia team any time ... I agree, it should be about meeting people and having fun.

Over the years, I have encountered people like the angry man you describe, but thankfully they have been in the minority.

... I agree, it should be about meeting people and having fun...

Boy oh boy! They next thing you know you guys will claim that cruising is all about meeting people and having fun!

(Us seasoned cruisers know it is about counting burned out lightbulbs and finding stained carpeting to complain about!) ;)

Hi Jan! We had such a great time on the Connie with you and all our other cruise friends. It was great sailing with you even though I forgot and was having too much fun to count burned out lightbulbs, or make any of the trivia sessions.

We were on the Mercury last month and played trivia every day. Several of the staff ran the event. Our favorite was Joy. She had two rules:

1. No whinning

2. Joy is always right

She ran a pretty tight game and didn't let people get away with much.

Just one time some of us got cranky. The teams were supposed to be four people maximum. There were eight people playing together and when they won, lied and said only four were playing. Pretty sad for a cheap ball point pen!

Boy oh boy! They next thing you know you guys will claim that cruising is all about meeting people and having fun!

(Us seasoned cruisers know it is about counting burned out lightbulbs and finding stained carpeting to complain about!) ;)

Hi Jan! We had such a great time on the Connie with you and all our other cruise friends. It was great sailing with you even though I forgot and was having too much fun to count burned out lightbulbs, or make any of the trivia sessions.

Hi Larry! It was SO great to see y'all again, and to meet new friends too!

Had such fun with our trivia team, too; hope to play again one day with Jane, Tom and Terry, and Chris. Penguins lover, you would have felt right at home ... we had a blast.

Cruzbuds, I agree, an "in charge" activities staffer can often set the tone of the whole event and keep things pleasant! Ours on Constellation last week was Nicole, and she was very personable and efficient.

Interesting topic ...

Jan

It's just a game. On a cruise ship. When we go and play, DH and I always get a smile out of some of the answers people give, reactions, etc. It's understood the activities staff tries to give players the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time.

Hope I never meet 'Angry Man' at a trivia game, I'd probably laugh and then...well, who knows?

Unfortunately in almost any group, on a cruise or not, there are certain super-competitive people who believe that winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing. On cruise ships, when you consider the token prizes that are usually awarded for winning trivia contests and other audience participation contests, it is sad to see that level of competitiveness take away most of the fun that should be part of the competitions - just watch some of the folks who bring a bag of "essential items" to the Quest on RCI cruises.:(:rolleyes:

I just got off the Infinity and had a great time. The service was great and the activity staff was very good. I just wanted to know how people feel about trivia. I always go to trivia to meet people and have fun, winning is nice, but if we don't win it is not the end of the world. There was a man on board who had words with fellow passengers because he always wanted to be right. One day we were correcting our answers and this passenger wanted the answer to be James Bond, but the song was from Goldfinger and the staff member said either one, the passenger got angry and the other passenger said mark it wrong, it is only for fun and a pen and he pointed right at her and said it is not about the pen, but about being right. He was real angry. I am just curious, are these events more than being fun because I do not want to insult anyone in the future if most people view it as more?

Hi,:) I used to participate in trivia most every cruise..used to.

What you have posted happened to me too often so I figured

it was just not worth it.

I am on a cruise for fun, enjoyment, meeting other people, relaxing,

and NOT to have a "p*****g match" with others who

think winning is the only thing:rolleyes::eek:...or as you put it..."Cut Throat".

It takes the entire fun out of it for me. Guess I am just not

a competitive person and if I miss an answer it is not the

end of the world.

Not to say If I didn't find a group of fun people I would

not want to try again.....I won't ever say never.;)

It's just a game. On a cruise ship. When we go and play, DH and I always get a smile out of some of the answers people give, reactions, etc. It's understood the activities staff tries to give players the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time.

Hope I never meet 'Angry Man' at a trivia game, I'd probably laugh and then...well, who knows?

If you get bored playing trivia try the Duplicate Bridge Tournaments!

One of the problems with playing trivia on a ship is that the staff hosting the game uses an answer sheet that is not always accurate and doesn't have the knowledge to determine which answer is really correct if a passenger disputes it. Even though it can be frustrating for the person who knows they have the real correct answer, while others are getting credit for the wrong answer, that person should realize that this is just a silly game on a cruise and not a serious test of knowledge.

Lauren and I do Trivia occasionally and have always enjoyed the experience. On one Holland American cruise we ran into a group of three women that actually had notebooks full of questions and the answers from previous cruises. They didn't like to lose! Kind of sad though.:rolleyes::(

And yes, we did enjoy beating them three out of three times.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I always go to trivia to meet people and have fun, winning is nice, but if we don't win it is not the end of the world. There was a man on board who had words with fellow passengers because he always wanted to be right. One day we were correcting our answers and this passenger wanted the answer to be James Bond, but the song was from Goldfinger and the staff member said either one, the passenger got angry and the other passenger said mark it wrong, it is only for fun and a pen and he pointed right at her and said it is not about the pen, but about being right. He was real angry. I am just curious, are these events more than being fun because I do not want to insult anyone in the future if most people view it as more?

Woah! That poor guy needed more than a CRUISE! Maybe anger management?:eek:

Sometimes, I have to just shake my head, and realize someone was better than me that day. So, what's the big deal? I'll beat them next time.

From my point of view, useless facts are one of the few things I am good at, and I have pens, key chains, and a hat that doesn't fit to prove it

(Us seasoned cruisers know it is about counting burned out lightbulbs and finding stained carpeting to complain about!)

Yes. If your a seasoned cruiser and you don't complain about at least 12 things.

Point out the scratches on the floor in the Michaels club.

Say the chocolate cake was not sweet enough.

Kill the pool butler as you can't find 4 empty chairs together just after lunch on a sea day.

Not get invited to the captains table.

Tell the Mater'd in the buffet area the lines are not moving fast enough.

There was not enough cheeze in the mushroom omlet.

The waffells were not crisp enough.

The lawn area was too soft.

You did not get a front row seat at the glass show - for the third time.

Your tour was time shifted and they did not tell you until two days before and it ruined you day in port.

The ride was too bumpy to the plantation tour.

There were not enough free samples given at the Bicardi free rum factory tour.

You only got one 2/3 full glass of champagne when you got on the ship.

It all adds up to you asking for a room credit for this and every cruise from now until 2025....

No one cruises for fun.

We cruise for the signature lines we have on our posts to show how well seasoned cruisers we are.

Hi,

Well, let's say the trivia games SHOULD be for fun. But as the responses reflect, many of us have experienced boorish individuals who seem bent on turning it into something very off-putting.

Like Lois, we used to make an effort to go to trivia games and had a lot of fun with it. We've been on some really great teams over the years. But it does seem that in recent times there are more & more folk who play and act aggressively, ruining the experience. We rarely go anymore.

We tried again in January on Solstice. Sadly, once again someone ruined the experience.

CM

Yes we too have stopped going - I was belittled in the team I had joined for the morning as my contributions had been considered lacking. Well I do not know a lot about US things and the things I do know about did not come up - the man had the cheek to say in front of me it would have been better if X had got here sooner and joined us rather than our English lady - actually the insult was bigger because I am Scottsh

Reading through this thread I have to chuckle. We have been on several cruises with a certain family member who attends every trivia contest on board, surveys the talent at the first few matches and then tries to put together his own personal A-team to defeat all comers. This is not my idea of fun, but there are those kinds of personalities who believe that winning (at all cost) is the only thing. I have to admit that winning is nice at times, but how much branded junk does one need?

I just rememberd - on one of our cruises, there was a group that cruised very often. They usually won trivia because they actually kept notes of the answers from previous cruises. That was really, really, sad :confused:

I enjoy trivia most of the time. I've run across my share of people who take it too seriously. The worst were on a Celebrity cruise. A couple had been on the ship for several cruises and knew almost all the answers. As others have pointed out, they probably did not need another cheap Celebrity souvenir. I don't see the thrill of winning under these circumstances. When I win, I want it to be a fair contest.

I just rememberd - on one of our cruises, there was a group that cruised very often. They usually won trivia because they actually kept notes of the answers from previous cruises. That was really, really, sad :confused:

You find them everywhere.

Now where's my free pen........

When we cruised B2B a few years ago we, as well as others, made it apoint to tell the Act. Staff when they started a trivia we had had on the previous cruise. It was appreciated by all, and we enjoyed playing more. There are wrong answers on the sheets and there are those who argue about it. Ignore the bother and enjoy the game!

BTW, the best trivia cruise, EVER, was on Zenith in 2003. That group of cruisers was the best during the games. (Not to say others cruisers have not been.) We are traveling with another couple so we will have our foursome made up in advance.

I am already looking forward to trivia on our June Summit cruise .. and I wanna be on Kathie's team :p .. but am a little worried after reading comment from the Scottish poster on previous page .. will a little old Kiwi be able to take part?!

I am already looking forward to trivia on our June Summit cruise .. and I wanna be on Kathie's team :p .. but am a little worried after reading comment from the Scottish poster on previous page .. will a little old Kiwi be able to take part?!

Sorry no Kiwi's allowed in trivia. And no Canadians either.

Those are the rules.

Archived