SW announcing new service to Boston

TakeMeAway1001

Southwest Airlines breezes into Boston (Logan) with low fares. On August 16, 2009 we will begin service with 5 daily nonstops to Baltimore/Washington and 5 daily nonstops to Chicago (Midway). Additionally, we will offer direct or connecting service to 48 other Southwest Airlines destinations.

Boston service was first announced on February 19, so not really "news". Along with LGA, this will put more stress on WN's vaunted quick-turns and on-time performance.

More stress is a slight understatement. LGA has been running between 30-60 minutes behind almost all day every day since Saturday. We finally took our freight yesterday morning over to JFK.

Same thing...:)

That's funny.

You don't know how correct you are. Same planes (most are 737) and the FF program operates almost the same. NO flights on other airlines, just save your boarding passes and when you have enough whatever, you get either a 50% discount or a free flight.

One significant difference-you CAN get to Europe with the FF program.

http://www.airnamibia.com.na/frequent_flyers.php

Southwest Airlines breezes into Boston (Logan) with low fares. On August 16, 2009 we will begin service with 5 daily nonstops to Baltimore/Washington and 5 daily nonstops to Chicago (Midway). Additionally, we will offer direct or connecting service to 48 other Southwest Airlines destinations.

Thanks for having posted this.

Folks should never underestimate Southwest Airlines strategies. While it may have a slight impact on their on time performance, I am sure it will be a strong revenue producer for them.

Keith

Thanks for having posted this.

Folks should never underestimate Southwest Airlines strategies. While it may have a slight impact on their on time performance, I am sure it will be a strong revenue producer for them.

Keith

One blogger agrees with you after an analysis of WN's schedule at LGA by stating: It’s an interesting strategy in that it allows them [Southwest] to build a bigger buffer so that planes that are late leaving LaGuardia won’t screw up the rest of the system. I suppose after a sufficient period of time he will post a similar analysis for Boston.

I was happy to hear and then see this yesterday but the prices are higher than Jet Blue, Airtran and even Delta to Tampa for my October cruise.

Hoping they come out with a special before I book.

As is typical when new service is starting, and maybe you have seen already, but Southwest has announced special one-way fares to Baltimore from Boston for $49 and to Chicago for $89. But they are for travel only through Oct. 29, 2009 and as you discovered, such specials may not apply to other destinations.

I was happy to hear and then see this yesterday but the prices are higher than Jet Blue, Airtran and even Delta to Tampa for my October cruise.

I jumped online to book our a/f for Oct yesterday and chose to go out of Providence for the direct flight and got a decent price. When I went back to check on something I saw the announcement that they were booking for Boston, initially I was bummed thinking I could have gone out of Boston but not so much after seeing the prices.

After being on the boards for 7 years that is what I thought but what do I know :)

I learn new things on this board all the time.

I guess some people already know everything so I am not sure why they keep hanging around here.

Anyway thanks again for the info. I like having new options when flying.

Because of you I learned that Southwest is starting new service from one of our 2 local airports to Boston. So now if the need arises I will have an alternate plan.

:)

As I noted earlier I think it's great that the OP posted this on the board. I think this type of information is always useful.

And I think the use of SW in the header was perfectly fine, particulary when the verbage right below it spelled out Southwest Airlines.

These boards should be a place where people can share information and ask questions and this was certainly very useful information to share.

Keith

As I noted earlier I think it's great that the OP posted this on the board. I think this type of information is always useful.

And I think the use of SW in the header was perfectly fine, particulary when the verbage right below it spelled out Southwest Airlines.

These boards should be a place where people can share information and ask questions and this was certainly very useful information to share.

Keith

I concur. When I saw SW in the headline I automatically thought Southwest because as far as I know no US airlines cannot fly domestic routes.

Of course I will be corrected pretty quick if I am wrong.

But anyway I wouldnt have confused SW with a non US airline.

Thanks for the support :) I like to think I am a pretty resiliant gal seeing that I live with a Marine but sometimes the snippiness (is that a word) annoys the crap out of me. I certainly didn't mean to confuse anyone or offer info that has been offered in the past, just trying to be helpful and I am glad that some saw it that way. In the future I will try to do a search covering the last year so that I do not share something that is widely known and I will make sure my headings are more descript ;) Have a great day~

I wonder how they compare to AirTran? I am pleased with AirTran service out of BWI (direct flights). My father called to tell me I would be able to get $29.00 flights on South West. I have never flown this airline.

Is this the airline that does not assign seating?

I wonder how they compare to AirTran? I am pleased with AirTran service out of BWI (direct flights). My father called to tell me I would be able to get $29.00 flights on South West. I have never flown this airline.

Yes that is the one you are thinking of.

Correct, they use letter sections so the earlier you check in the better. For instance if you check in at 8am you will be assigned Section A, later people Section B and the latest Section C. For those of us who get to the airport with plenty of time to spare it's not bad, if you are someone who is always barely making it to the door before they shut it, this is probably not the airline for you.

I like Airtran and they are my carrier of choice but I admit I'm a price person and with the exception of the legacy airlines I fly almost anyone to get where I need to go.

Correct, they use letter sections so the earlier you check in the better. For instance if you check in at 8am you will be assigned Section A, later people Section B and the latest Section C. For those of us who get to the airport with plenty of time to spare it's not bad, if you are someone who is always barely making it to the door before they shut it, this is probably not the airline for you.

I like Airtran and they are my carrier of choice but I admit I'm a price person and with the exception of the legacy airlines I fly almost anyone to get where I need to go.

A couple of corrections to what you have stated about Southwest Alrlines.

1. You can just check in from a computer starting 24 hours before your flight. Easy to do and you can either print out your boarding ticket or if you do not have access to a computer you can print it out when you arrive at the airport.

2. In addition to being assigned a letter you are also assigned a number which will show where you will stand in line when the plane is easy to board.

Keith

1. You can just check in from a computer starting 24 hours before your flight. Easy to do and you can either print out your boarding ticket or if you do not have access to a computer you can print it out when you arrive at the airport.

2. In addition to being assigned a letter you are also assigned a number which will show where you will stand in line when the plane is easy to board.

Keith

I really like the way they do it now, both my son and I have used them in the past month and were very happy. I like that you don't get to the gate and find a bunch of people sitting on the floor in front of their letter, it's nice to be able to sit in a chair right up until boarding and knowing you have a spot in line :)

Keith

Thanks! Apparently it's been awhile since I've flown Southwest.

When I saw SW in the headline I automatically thought Southwest because as far as I know no US airlines cannot fly domestic routes.

But anyway I wouldnt have confused SW with a non US airline.

Of course! "New service to Boston" could only have referred to a domestic route, because as we all know, Boston has no international flights so it would be impossible for Air Namibia to fly Windhoek -> Boston.

And, of course, Air Namibia doesn't exist, so it would be impossible to have any confusion or ambiguity between "SW" and a non-existent airline.

Archived