Pacific Princess vs. Paul Gaugin

emilee

Hello - we are trying to decide between the Paul Gaugin and the Pacific Princess for a Tahiti cruise in late October 09. Any thoughts? I understand that the Pacific Princess is replacing the Tahitian Princess for this destination. Perhaps some past Tahitian Princess guests who may or may not have experience with Regent can comment? Thanks in advance for your help. Emilee

Did Tahitian a year ago and it was Great! Regent is slightly smaller, more expensive but more of a white glove service from what I have been told.

Noticed no one has responded yet so thought I would at least give MHO of Tahitian Cruise. Was one of our best Cruises so far. Would love to go again but flight home was brutal.

We've done Tahiti twice upon the Tahitian and loved every minute of it. Both ships hit about the same spots, it's more a case of what the PG includes in their bottom line, such as your beverages, both adult and non, excursions, etc. I prefer Princess, mostly because I only want to pay for what I chose. PG is all-inclusive, but much more expensive. It pretty much balances out in the end. the place to really ask this question is over on the Pacific Islands forum as you will also get the PG folks. I will sail them only when Princess is no longer an option.

Hello - we are trying to decide between the Paul Gaugin and the Pacific Princess for a Tahiti cruise in late October 09. Any thoughts? I understand that the Pacific Princess is replacing the Tahitian Princess for this destination. Perhaps some past Tahitian Princess guests who may or may not have experience with Regent can comment? Thanks in advance for your help. Emilee

We have sailed on Tahitian princess twice & it was great. For the $$ you will save sailing on Princess book a suite (not on deck 8:eek:..right under the pool area) and fly business class for the 7.5 hour flight to & from Los Angles. Worth every penny.

Jan

Hi Jan, I am actually holding a mini suite under the pool area. Have you had a bad experience there? The price difference including air is $3,000 so I am leaning towards Princess. Thanks everyone for your input. Emilee

Not sure if helps, but we were in 8049 on the Tahitian in November, and never heard anything from above us. Not under the pool area per se, but under a traffic area aft in the general pool area. (Poor explanation, I know. Check the deck plan to make sense of it!) No pool deck futniture moving rumbles or bumps, nor foot traffic noise.

I envy you going on this cruise. It truly was the best I have ever been on, and I loved all of my cruises. The ship was lovely, with an more intimate feeling. Loved the "small ship experience" and would love to do it again, especially in Tahiti and FP.

We have sailed the Tahitian Princess 10 day out of Papeete in the past and it was a great cruise. I would love to try the PG, but just can't justify the added expense.

For what the PG would cost for a regular balcony stateroom, I can book the OS suite on the Pacific. ;)

While I can't comment on the South Pacific Princess cruise, we did the Paul G 2 years ago. Yes, it is more $$$ but in my opinion, it was worth it for us. Everything was included. Tips, all beverages, snorkeling equipment and lessons, movie rentals, etc. I could go on and on but suffice it to say, when we added up the little extras that we would have had to pay for on the Princess compared to what we didn't have to pay for on the PG, the Princess would have been more money. It all depends on what you are looking for. We liked the fact that we didn't have to think of a thing, all the rooms are outside so you always have a nice view. Smaller ships, less people. That was my 11th cruise and never on any of the others did the cruise director know my first name on the second day!! I think you need to figure out what the true price would be on the Princess when you add in the extras, like soda, drinks, ice cream, equipment, etc. Hope this helps

We did the Tahitian (Ocean) Princess Tahiti B2b three years ago. We also looked at the PG but it was only a 7day cruise. We figured that flying all that way for 7 or 14 days wasn't worth it. The Princess itinerary is 10 days so B2B is almost 3 weeks. That would be 3 cruises on the PG. I don't know the current schedule but you should take time in Tahiti into account in your choices.

BTW - it was THE BEST cruise of our lives! You will LOVE Tahiti !!!!!!!!

Hi Jan, I am actually holding a mini suite under the pool area. Have you had a bad experience there? The price difference including air is $3,000 so I am leaning towards Princess. Thanks everyone for your input. Emilee

We had the aft suite on deck 8 & they hose down the outdoor eating area by the buffet around 3 am & it is LOUD! We are not light sleepers:eek:! Plus all the chair moving around 5 am was another issue. Wonderful suite, but would go for another floor down if possible. Now a mini suite on the side might be fine, but I would do a search of your cabin number. We took a lot of naps:D.

Jan

I haven't done that itinerary and haven't been on the Pacific Princess or the Paul Gauguin, but I have been on the Regent Voyager and I will admit it would be my preference. I have seen lately that the Regent line is advertising some cruises including airfare, you might want to see it that cruise has it because it brings the actual cost down a lot. Plus all liquors ( wine and spirits) are included as is the bottled water both on the ship and to take off the ship on your day trips. Also, all gratuities are included. I also saw that on some cruises (Alaska for sure) that they are including unlimited shore excursions in the price also. Hope this helps even though I haven't been on either ship you are talking about.pj

This is the last year that the PG will be sailing as part of the Regent fleet. It's possible that the experience on the PG in 2010 and later will not be the same as it has been. No matter what they "say" - it's really a wait and see what will be delivered. Could be better, could be worse.

I have sailed on the Pacific Princess and the Paul Gauguin and loved them both. Given the choice, I would choose the Paul Gauguin. It is an elegant jewel of a ship and the service is incomparable. The food on the PG is far superior to Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

The Paul Gauguin was one of my favourite sailing experiences, ever (I've cruised 30+ times, on MANY different lines). Definitely worth every penny. Financially, I'd say it almost evens out, by the time you factor in the inclusive excursions, gratuities, lovely wines and all other drinks (you never sign a "chit" for anything, it's just always there for you to enjoy - I would say "free", but truthfully "pre-paid" is more to the point).

It's a fabulous experience. And Regent knows it doesn't need "formal nights" in an atmosphere like French Polynesia, it's always "country club casual", which is perfect.

For the few hundred extra (which is what it boils down to once you've factored in all the above mentioned), I'd say go PG. You will not regret it.

And I have recently booked a Star Princess Baltic cruise, so I'm not a complete Regent Cheerleader! I do look outside the box!! But the PG is magical!

We've done 3 on the Tahitian Princess and this is the only ship we think justify's getting the mini suite. I also would rather pay for only what I use. If movie rentals, unlimited drinks and such are really important and you can afford it go PG. But normally the Princess cruises are 10 days and the PG are less. Princess cheaper. Don't think I could drink enough to make the PG worth it and still enjoy the cruise. With the beautiful views don't think you need movie rentals. The views are so spectacular that I couldn't even close my eyes on the beach to take a nap. I do believe that the PG does have a private beach(or island) that they go to and you may get diff stops.

We've done 3 -- 10 day trips on the Tahitian--GREAT--twice we had the OS--6088--and once a minisuite

We always go to IC Bora Bora for a few days before cruising and then OC Papette after before leaving for home

Nancy:D

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been on Paul Gauguin but we sailed on Tahitian (Ocean) Princess in October 2008 (same trip as Spikesgirl - hi Charlie!) and had a fabulous time. We had OS 8064 and can confirm there was some noise from above. Didn't hear decks being hosed down but did get an early morning wake up call from chairs scraping on the outside buffet area.

One area no-one has commented on is the ship to shore tendering. We had to tender at every port (save Tahiti of course) and found that this operated more smoothly than any other ship we have experienced. As suite occupants we had priority cards but never had to use them. They used plenty of lifeboats and there was never much of a wait between shuttles. On some other ships we have sailed on the actual method of getting on and off the shuttle was nothing short of a white knuckle leap of faith but there was no such problem on this ship. As time ashore is so precious and you certainly don't want any accidents this might be an important aspect to consider.

Archived