September Sailing - Which would you choose?

Theora

We've already sorted the short cruise we're doing for my BF's birthday at the end of July, but now I'm wondering about *my* birthday. September is probably still in hurricane season, I imagine, but there's so many islands in the Caribbean that I'd love to see! It's either that, or do a Mexican Riviera thing, which would be easier for me since they leave out of LA, which is where I am.

So. What say you lot? Caribbean or Mex. Riv. in September? How bad are things in September as far as hurricanes go? I'm not really super enthused about the Mexican Riviera, but if I'm on a ship, I'll go anywhere, really.

Suggestions? Questions? Answers?

Thanks a bunch,

Theora

We've gone with September west coast cruises (Mexican Riviera or Alaska) for several years now. Even though most September Caribbean cruises go off without a hitch, there is always a chance that one will be diverted, shortened, kept at sea an extra day, or cancelled.

So, it really depends on how disappointed you would be if something happened.

OTOH, we had our itinerary changed on a Mexican Riviera cruise because of Hurricane Otis several years ago. We were 12 hours late getting in to Acapulco, stayed overnight and missed one other port on the way back north. Even the west coast is not a guarantee of avoiding a hurricane.

Charlie

Hurricane season does tend to kick up during the latter half of the season (Aug/Sept/Oct); however, they've also predicted a less active than usual season this year. Other than that, who knows! ;) It's always a gamble in hurricane season, so just make sure you're not terribly attached to any ports and ready to go with the flow if necessary.

Definitely the Caribbean over the MR for me. Much more variety and I feel there's always a better vibe on Caribbean cruises than there is on the MR.

As for hurricane season, I personally wouldn't even bring that into consideration. If it happens it happens.

If you had to fly for either cruise, then I would say go to the Caribbean. However, since it looks like you would be able to drive to the port, I would recommend sticking close to home. This will save money and lessen any problems of storm related travel problems.

I'm with you, been there, done that with Mex. Riv. cruises, but they are so easy for those of us on the West Coast!! Just remember that it's hurricane season in the Mex. Riv. then too. It doesn't just apply to the Caribbean. The Mex. Riv. can get some doosies, but the chances are probably a little less than the Caribbean.

If money is tight, go with the Mex. Riv. If not, risk it and go for the Caribbean.

My birthday is also in Sept as is our anniversary, so always take a cruise in that month. We have done the Caribbean several times in Sept and have actually been on a cruise while a hurricane was out there (Rita a couple of years ago) a few times right after a hurricane and a couple of times right before. None of these cruises were ruined because of a hurricane. The important thing to remember is that the captain will never (I mean never) sail right into the storm. They simply avoid it...and do a wonderful job at that. The waters might be a bit choppier and there might be an increased chance of rain, but that can happen without a storm. You may risk missing out on an island or two but found this is usually made up by stopping at one of their private islands (usually in the Bahamas --- which are my absolute favorite -- and only if that region is not the one under siege). If you really want to go to the Caribbean, I say go for it as you can find some awesome deals during Sept and chances are, you will have smooth sailing.

The nice thing about the Mexican Riviera for you is no flight....but seems like you could do that at any time seeing you are right there. We took a mexican riviera cruise last Sept and had a lot of storm activity out there -- so it just depends on mother nature.

Archived