Anytime Dining - Reservations Questions

clueless2

I searched for this info and found lots a treads but no definite answer.

So...

We've always had traditional dining (which we prefer) but for our CB cruise in June we are way down the waitlist so I'm sure we'll get Anytime Dining.

So three questions:

Can you make a reservation for a specific time and table size?

If so, how does one go about making the reservation? (on HAL you can all in the morning or they have someone set up on the Lido deck at breakfast).

If you can make a reservation can you make if for multiple days (i.e. the entire cruise).

We are going to be doing Anytime Dining on the CB in May. My question is similar... are there a lot of tables for two? We aren't really interesting in sharing a table, so much so that it would deter me from going to the dining room.

Making reservations for anytime dining is really a luck-of-the-draw in getting the times you want. To make reservations, on the 1st day when the maitre d' is available for dining questions, you can make the reservations with him. If you're lucky, you can get the same table with the same waiter each night. Also it's usually easier to reserve a table for 6 than one for 2.

Making reservations for the time you want is exactly what "anytime" dining means to us. You can choose to eat at "anytime" and can try to make a reservation for it. We prefer to eat around 7:30 and have been pretty lucky in getting tables and reservations for that time.

Sometimes however making standing reservations doesn't always get you what you want. If you want to eat at 5:30 or 8:30, usually tables can be reserved easily. It's the between times that are more difficult to get a standing reservation for. However, on those cruises when we couldn't reserve a table at 7:30, we've just gone to the dining room and seldom have we had to wait more than 1/2 hour. If they can't seat you immediately, you are given one of the little buzzers with flashing lights so you can wander around while you're waiting. Again, those that are looking for a table for 6 seem to get seated faster than those requesting a table for 2.

Have a great cruise.

We are going to be doing Anytime Dining on the CB in May. My question is similar... are there a lot of tables for two? We aren't really interesting in sharing a table, so much so that it would deter me from going to the dining room.

DH & I have never had a problem getting a table for two. In fact all we have ever done is walk up (without a reservation) and asked. We have never even been asked to share a table after we have stated that we would like a table for two. There are plenty of tables. However, some of the tables for two are rather close to each other, but at least you don't need to feel obligated to converse with others.

I sailed the Caribbean Princess March 22-29 and we did the anytime dining. You call the anytime dining number that will be in your room before 4:30 and make a reservation. You can request a waiter and a table but, they can't guarrantee it. "Hint" call early or the day before. You don't have to make reservations but I would advise it. We asked for Melanie in the Island dining room and a certain table and we did get it. Good Luck and have a nice dinner.

We also prefer Anytime dining and have been fortunate to have the same table, same time, same waiter & table for two. We did wait for the maitre'd in that long line on the first day but were told that those folks were trying to change their table size, traditional dining times, etc. So instead, we usually arrange this on the first nite of the cruise - we arrive at the time we prefer, ask for a table for 2 and when we leave DH arranges with the maitre'd to have this for the remainder of the cruise. This has worked very well for us!:)

So...

We've always had traditional dining (which we prefer) but for our CB cruise in June we are way down the waitlist so I'm sure we'll get Anytime Dining.

So three questions:

If so, how does one go about making the reservation? (on HAL you can all in the morning or they have someone set up on the Lido deck at breakfast).

If you can make a reservation can you make if for multiple days (i.e. the entire cruise).

Yes. We had anytime dining last month on the Crown, made a reservation for a specific table and size, and made it for the entire week. We didn't make our reservation until dinner the first night, but I believe you can call the dine line from your room phone and make your reservation that way.

Mike

Yes, you should have no trouble getting a table for two. There are several in each anytime dining room. I would suggest you go down to the dining room on the afternoon of the first day, walk around, find the table you are interested in and reserve it at that time.

Mike

While the often stated opinion that reservations in Anytime "defeats the purpose" sounds reasonable enough, it simply doesn't take into account the fact that many people end up in Anytime when they'd rather be in Traditional. Since reservations are allowed - and there's a definite system in place for putting stickers on your cruise card to show your standing reservation - my belief is that anybody who wants a standing reservation in Anytime should go right ahead and get it. Apologies to the "defeats the purpose" crowd, but there it is. You'll probably have better luck in getting your standing res at the time and table you prefer if you choose a time that isn't the busiest time. Think early or late. If you can find a table/waiter combination that you like the first evening, then that's ideal. Go to whereever the maitre 'd is stationed the next day and make your request.

So...

So three questions:

You can make reservation for a particular time. I am not sure about table size.

If so, how does one go about making the reservation? (on HAL you can all in the morning or they have someone set up on the Lido deck at breakfast). Check with the maitre'd or call from your cabin. It appears each ship and sailing might be slightly different.

If you can make a reservation can you make if for multiple days (i.e. the entire cruise). Yes, again check with the maire'd. On some ships they won't allow you to make reservation between 6-8 but we were offered this option on the Sapphire Princess.

We will be treating anytime dining the same as we would a nice restaurant. I will make a reservation on some nights but go knowing we might have to wait. For us it doesn't defeat the purpose, it how we choose to dine. Though this clearly defeats the purpose for others, so dine as you wish:p

We just got off the Emerald on Sunday. The first night we went when it first opened and asked for a table for two near the window. Had great service, so we as we left, we asked if we could get that table every night. They would only let us get 5:30 (maybe another time later, but we wanted before 8). I think we have gotten 6:00 upstairs at the other dining room before. But it appears that they only want you to come when they don't have to hold the table - he said that he didn't want to have to explain why that table was empty and they couldn't have it.

We also prefer Traditional dining, but it is impossible to get a table for two, and impossible to get it if you don't book way out. So as someone has said - this is our Traditional dining. We had the best server ever this last cruise and would not have wanted to lose her- she really made dinner something to look forward to. She learned all our likes and dislikes just like in Traditional dining and it makes dinner more enjoyable for us.;)

What the he** is this. Listen, if you want to eat at the same time every night book traditional. Any time means any time NOT revervations. GRRRR! I am not going to be baited so I am out of here.

Obviously you didn't read the OP's question. I, also, booked traditional and was waitlisted.

We are assigned to anytime dining, which doesn't work with my husband's diabetic

schedule. We began at 125 on the waitlist, and have, every week, moved away from

zero. We are now at 145 on the waitlist, Princess says it's a computer glitch, and they

are adding to zero to keep us even.......so if we get to 20 on the waitlist, they will

clear us for traditional. Makes no sense at all, because we can't get to 20, 30 or anything

else. By the time our cruise rolls around, we'll probably be 400 on the waitlist.

There are good reasons for needing reservations in anytime dining. My husband eats

at 7pm........I'm just hoping we can make a standing reservation for 645p every night.

What are our chances for that! I'm on a low sodium diet. It seems like that will be a

hassle, just trying to do that. Since first seating is so valued, why is there only one

dining room for traditional, and 2 for anytime? Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am sure if there is a health issue, Princess will accommodate you - but you need to advise them of this. Also, if anyone attempts to make a reservation by phone and you are told you cannot, go to the dining room and speak with the head waiter. This happened to us. About mid-cruise we had a waiter we loved and went back to our room and phoned the number provided for this and I was told we could not have that table and time every night. I went back to the dining room and was graciously told "fine, no problem".

Obviously you didn't read the OP's question. I, also, booked traditional and was waitlisted.

We are assigned to anytime dining, which doesn't work with my husband's diabetic

schedule. We began at 125 on the waitlist, and have, every week, moved away from

zero. We are now at 145 on the waitlist, Princess says it's a computer glitch, and they

are adding to zero to keep us even.......so if we get to 20 on the waitlist, they will

clear us for traditional. Makes no sense at all, because we can't get to 20, 30 or anything

else. By the time our cruise rolls around, we'll probably be 400 on the waitlist.

There are good reasons for needing reservations in anytime dining. My husband eats

at 7pm........I'm just hoping we can make a standing reservation for 645p every night.

What are our chances for that! I'm on a low sodium diet. It seems like that will be a

hassle, just trying to do that. Since first seating is so valued, why is there only one

dining room for traditional, and 2 for anytime? Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

If you have a health related issue, I'm sure they will do either for you, get you into traditional or allow you to have a reservation in anytime.

Mike

We made standing reservations on the first day in anytime. They were accomidating but also clear that they would only do it for either early or late, before 6pm and after 7:30. That worked for us so wasn't an issue. It was nice as we got the same table and waiters.

I agree that your husband should be accomodated with his medical issue in any way possible.

But for the person looking to tie up a table for the week, then it defeats the purpose of walking up anytime and cheats others out of a table and causes unnecessary waits.. :)

Are you kidding?? It "cheats others out of a table and causes unnecessary waits.."??? When we have to show up at 5:30 there are no more than 4 people in line ahead of us. How can this possibly cause what you said???

Have you ever tried to book Traditional? We have and unless you book a year out there is little chance of getting it. Our jobs don't allow us to book this far out usually. The several times that we were lucky enough to get traditional, we never got a table for two - they don't even have them there. After our second cruise at a table with 4 adults who knew each other, we never were sure we wanted to try again. Talk about the table mates from hell! They carried on conversations like we were invisible and the one time that I tried to make a comment, someone said "How rude, we were not talking to her"!!!!

So, we will continue to make Anytime dining Traditional, because that is the only choice that Princess has given us. They don't provide enough Traditional dining and don't have tables for two.

It's not that convenient for us, because 5:30 is really early, but since that is the only choice we have, we have to live with it. I would rather eat when I am ready to, but not so much that I want to have a different server every night and miss what for us is often one of the highlights of the cruise - the relationship and interaction with a server who gets to know you. This last cruise we had such an awesome server. It was a blast going to dinner. And we weren't the only ones that felt that way; there were at least 3 other same couples at her tables for two every night, and they didn't have reservation (I asked) -they just came early to get those tables.

So get over it. Let us enjoy our cruise the way we want. We are fine with you doing what you are doing and we are not causing you to wait or cheating you out of a table - I'm sure we are there hours before you are even thinking about it.;)

What the he** is this. Listen, if you want to eat at the same time every night book traditional. Any time means any time NOT revervations. GRRRR! I am not going to be baited so I am out of here.

No ...I don't think I will "listen" If I wanna book a specific time I will..period, the end.....and YES anytime means I can make my ressie for ANYTIME I like...and if I like it at 7:30 every night and the Maitre D will book it then IT IS ANYTIME dining....first it was the fashion police and now its the anytime dining police....where do these people get off trying to tell folks what they can and can't do? :rolleyes:

Are you kidding?? It "cheats others out of a table and causes unnecessary waits.."??? When we have to show up at 5:30 there are no more than 4 people in line ahead of us. How can this possibly cause what you said???

Have you ever tried to book Traditional? We have and unless you book a year out there is little chance of getting it. Our jobs don't allow us to book this far out usually. The several times that we were lucky enough to get traditional, we never got a table for two - they don't even have them there. After our second cruise at a table with 4 adults who knew each other, we never were sure we wanted to try again. Talk about the table mates from hell! They carried on conversations like we were invisible and the one time that I tried to make a comment, someone said "How rude, we were not talking to her"!!!!

So, we will continue to make Anytime dining Traditional, because that is the only choice that Princess has given us. They don't provide enough Traditional dining and don't have tables for two.

It's not that convenient for us, because 5:30 is really early, but since that is the only choice we have, we have to live with it. I would rather eat when I am ready to, but not so much that I want to have a different server every night and miss what for us is often one of the highlights of the cruise - the relationship and interaction with a server who gets to know you. This last cruise we had such an awesome server. It was a blast going to dinner. And we weren't the only ones that felt that way; there were at least 3 other same couples at her tables for two every night, and they didn't have reservation (I asked) -they just came early to get those tables.

So get over it. Let us enjoy our cruise the way we want. We are fine with you doing what you are doing and we are not causing you to wait or cheating you out of a table - I'm sure we are there hours before you are even thinking about it.;)

Well said! Princess allows reservation yet a few on here can't or won't get the message. This is a failure by Princess not the passengers trying to enjoy their vacation. Why is this so hard for a few to understand? Maybe we should raise our voices in a chant to them and Princess...WE WANT TRADITIONAL...WE WANT TRADITIONAL! Give us traditional or leave us the #### alone to make reservation

Works the same as traditional, people tie up a table then never show up.

Too bad some of the stalkers on here can't get that through their thick heads and continue to harrass. :rolleyes:

I showed up EVERY night or I had the decency to go and tell them that I would not be coming the next night (when we decided to go to the Crown Grill).

Don't judge us all by what a few do!!

Well know if everyone did that it would be good, but they don't.

Judging??? Must have hit a nerve.

Once again another trying to stifle an opinion. :rolleyes:

Archived