auto tips

jonorma

going on grand princess on saturday with my husband and 2 kids.dont mind paying tip for hubby and myself but wont like to remove kids tip, this would allow me to tip extra to individuals .Has anyone done likewise.:)

Just my opinion but I believe that staff has to work harder when it comes to children than they do taking care of the vast majority of adults. Plus they are (sorry for the expression but it is the only one that comes to mind) taking up two spaces which would otherwise be occupied by other tipping adults. Travelling with children is an added expense and I believe it should be viewed as such. Whatever you decide to do have a great cruise!

going on grand princess on saturday with my husband and 2 kids.dont mind paying tip for hubby and myself but wont like to remove kids tip, this would allow me to tip extra to individuals .Has anyone done likewise.:)

Tips are per person in the cabin, including children. They eat, sleep, use the bathroom, make messes just like everyone else.

When dining in a restaurant, would you first remove the cost of the children's meals and figure the tips for the adults only?

Same thing applies. Children generally require more from the service crew onboard than adults.

I've never stiffed anyone on a ship....or anywhere else for that matter..and usually tip a little extra at the end of the week.

With all due respect, I hope you will just leave the tips as it is. Children of any age are passengers and the staff works for every passenger, not just those who are the age of majority. Auto-tipping was very convenient for us when we cruised Princess, and as far as I'm concerned, this is the only fair way to ensure all staff receive their gratuity.

You can certainly tip individuals over and above regular tips, in cash if you wish.

This is a dangerous topic. I believe you should do what you believe is right and fair in your situation. We (DW and I) are going to leave the auto-tip on, but again this is a personal decision. You are likely to see alot of very strong opinions on this topic. . .if the thread gets out of hand try not to take any of it personal.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

This is a dangerous topic. I believe you should do what you believe is right and fair in your situation. We (DW and I) are going to leave the auto-tip on, but again this is a personal decision. You are likely to see alot of very strong opinions on this topic. . .if the thread gets out of hand try not to take any of it personal.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

Correct, it is a personal decision. However, most experienced cruisers are just pointing out how the cash tips are handled when auto-tips are removed. If someone knows the facts of where that cash actually goes (as opposed to assuming), they can make a more informed decision. It's still a personal decision -- but it's one made knowing the facts. That's all. ;):)

Correct, it is a personal decision. However, most experienced cruisers are just pointing out how the cash tips are handled when auto-tips are removed. If someone knows the facts of where that cash actually goes (as opposed to assuming), they can make a more informed decision. It's still a personal decision -- but it's one made knowing the facts. That's all. ;):)

So far, on this thread you are correct. But surely you have seen the threads on this topic where other posters begin to insult the OP for ever thinking of such a thing or where a culture war breaks out. I am merely warning them of that possibility, one that hopefully doesn't happen on this thread.:)

So far, on this thread you are correct. But surely you have seen the threads on this topic where other posters begin to insult the OP for ever thinking of such a thing or where a culture war breaks out. I am merely warning them of that possibility, one that hopefully doesn't happen on this thread.:)

Agreed 100%. I think many people just want people to understand where the cash really goes and that sometimes their good intentions are defeated. Personally, I am glad to be aware of the facts. I saw the OP is new here and, for their benefit, wanted them to realize many responses are only trying to help them make an informed decision. People can do what they wish, but hopefully they are achieving the desired result in doing so.

I do realize that it can turn into a bashing situation, you are correct there. ;)

Agreed 100%. I think many people just want people to understand where the cash really goes and that sometimes their good intentions are defeated. Personally, I am glad to be aware of the facts. I saw the OP is new here and, for their benefit, wanted them to realize many responses are only trying to help them make an informed decision. People can do what they wish, but hopefully they are achieving the desired result in doing so.

I do realize that it can turn into a bashing situation, you are correct there. ;)

I agree with you there. I am also new to CC and I have found all the info most helpful!:D

To explain the basics of how Princess handles tips:

Auto tips are split between a number of different personnel, all of whom help to make your cruise carefree and effortless.

Cash tips, lovely as they are, will ONLY get to stay with the intended recipient if auto-tips are left on. If not, the cash they receive MUST go into the pool or that recipient can be disciplined and/or fired.

Keeping in mind also that while children may eat less, and take up less space, they are passengers, and they will be catered to. Many times, children cause more work for the support staff on a ship.

If you leave the auto tips on and choose to give extra cash to those you feel have gone above and beyond, that extra cash gets to stay with those people and the rest of the support staff also gets their percentage from the auto tip pool. If you remove the auto tips and just tip cash, some of the people who helped make your cruise awesome (even if you didn't actually see them - many work behind the scenes) will get stiffed, and the person to whom you gave the cash will not get the full usage of the cash. I don't believe that is your intention.

In the end, your decision is a personal one. I have attempted only to clarify what happens to your tips when you give them.

Enjoy your cruise, however you choose to tip!

Theora

To explain the basics of how Princess handles tips:

Auto tips are split between a number of different personnel, all of whom help to make your cruise carefree and effortless.

Cash tips, lovely as they are, will ONLY get to stay with the intended recipient if auto-tips are left on. If not, the cash they receive MUST go into the pool or that recipient can be disciplined and/or fired.

Keeping in mind also that while children may eat less, and take up less space, they are passengers, and they will be catered to. Many times, children cause more work for the support staff on a ship.

If you leave the auto tips on and choose to give extra cash to those you feel have gone above and beyond, that extra cash gets to stay with those people and the rest of the support staff also gets their percentage from the auto tip pool. If you remove the auto tips and just tip cash, some of the people who helped make your cruise awesome (even if you didn't actually see them - many work behind the scenes) will get stiffed, and the person to whom you gave the cash will not get the full usage of the cash. I don't believe that is your intention.

In the end, your decision is a personal one. I have attempted only to clarify what happens to your tips when you give them.

Enjoy your cruise, however you choose to tip!

Theora

You said it perfectly!!

We just returned from a ten day cruise on the Emerald; and, I chatted with about 100 people about the auto tips. All, with exception of two persons were very much in favor of the procedure. They were delighted with the convenience and fairness of the procedure. Most agreed that it was needed throughout the industry because of the few persons who would stiff the staff etc.

I know that people feel very passionately about this subject. That being said, when traveling with three children the tips add up to more than 50 dollars A DAY. I do not believe that I would spend that on a private maid to come to my house. I think that it could be more reasonable for families, especially those with smaller children who do not take advantage of all the amenities.

I know that people feel very passionately about this subject. That being said, when traveling with three children the tips add up to more than 50 dollars A DAY. I do not believe that I would spend that on a private maid to come to my house. I think that it could be more reasonable for families, especially those with smaller children who do not take advantage of all the amenities.

Tip the way you feel is right. Thats why it is a tip, it's your choice.

Tip decisions are personal.

The current suggested amount is more than fair given the level of service you receive. One could argue that even if you give the adult price for children you are still getting a lot of service for the money.

I think you could make the decision based on the age of your children. As other posters have said children cause extra work for staff. We took our 5 yr old grandaughter with us once and the service and attention they gave her was unbelievable.

If you had a 2 yr old it may be a differant story. If you had an obnoxious 13 yr old you may want to pay more to ensure he makes it to the last day without being scalped!

You made a choice to have three children; you made a choice to take a cruise for vacation. . . . It is what it is. And if you DO find a housekeeper who will clean bathrooms, lay and clear the dining room table, serve, wash dishes, and do laundry -- all for just $50/day, please give me her number.

You made a choice to have three children; you made a choice to take a cruise for vacation. . . . It is what it is. And if you DO find a housekeeper who will clean bathrooms, lay and clear the dining room table, serve, wash dishes, and do laundry -- all for just $50/day, please give me her number.

The truth of the matter is that you are talking about a tip, this is your choice to tip as to what you seem to think is fair, the cruise line sets guidelines but thats all they are. I would reccomend you tip but the choice is for you and your family. Enjoy your cruise and have fun, you most likely will want to tip when you see the service you get.

BUT, didn't you realize what the gratuities were going to be BEFORE you booked? Reasonable has nothing to do with it IMHO, this is fully explained before bookings are made. :rolleyes:

I really feel bad for the hardworking staff when I read how some can justify why they should not tip for children (who usually take more attention from the staff and also more work cleaning up their little messes).

Surely it is now time to put this subject to rest once and for all. Every time it come up it gets completely out of hand. People must do what they think fit. Not everyone going on a cruise can afford to pay auto grats. If it was a case of cruise and opt out or nor cruise at all I know which I would go for.

We travel with our two daughters, ages 10 and 13. Both have disabilities and one of them is confined to a wheelchair. We bathe them, dress them, get their food and help them to eat. They are with us 24/7. After a lot of reading (here of course) and discussion, we elected to leave the auto-tip on for all of us. As was said previously: "They eat, sleep, use the bathroom, make messes just like everyone else." Our girls are much less work than typical children, yet we feel that the service that is provided is worth the cost.

It is a personal decision and whatever you do, have a great trip and never look back.

I am going to join in with the chorus that asks the OP to please leave the auto tip intact, and consider that staff throughout the ship will be catering to/cleaning up after your children. I remember a table near us in the MDR that had 3 very delightful children, a credit to their parents. Staff members fussed over the children, brought them special treats and delivered their meals early to avoid boredom, then thoroughly vacuumed after the family had left (there were some crumbs from the bread, etc.) I have also seen numerous children trailing crumbs behind them when they were walking through the ship, spilling their drink at the buffet, etc.None of this was unusual, even for very good children--- I have 2 of my own. This is what the auto tips cover, all the staff members that are working on your (and your children's) behalf to make your cruise a good one. It's easier to see what your steward and your waiter does for your children, but others are pitching in too--- you miss all those extra people if you remove the auto tips. In my opinion, tipping is part of the expense of a cruise, not a way to cut costs.

You are just confirming what we already know:)

Now please leave the auto tip on it was in the small print when you booked it, think of it as not a tip but a service charge as if you and others did not pay it then the price of the cruise would increase and then tips would still be expected and it would cost you more in the long run..

Archived