some random questions

maylinda

please please please people don't blame me if all my answers are already answered somewhere. it's just that there are sooooo many threads here that it's impossible for me to read all of them. i never went on a cruise so i have some beginner questions. first of all, sorry for my english, i'm from europe and just moved here, so my language is not so good yet.

me and some friends are planing to go on a cruise this summer. we are living in daytona, florida. there are so many websites to find good deals...and it would take me years to compare all them, so i thought maybe some of you already know the answers to my q's.

i was first of all just wonderning if there is any port in florida you'd recommend because it's usually cheaper that other ports? it doesn't matter from me if to leave from tampa or ft. lauderdale, but it does matter if one is way cheaper than the other.

second, we don't even really know where we want to go! we are between carribean and bahamas. which one do you prefer? and which ship do you recommend? we are all between the ages 20 and 25, all students on a budget. we do have saved money for this cruise, but still, we want to save as much as we can. does it matter to compare ships and ports, or are all as nice and same in price? we are not looking for doing party, but we don't mind to have a good nightlife on the ship.

which website to you recommend for good deals?

and we'd like to go in june, probably end of june. what is your expierience? hurricane wise.. is it okay?!!

thanks in advance, and sorry that i had so many questions

Carnival tends to provide the most bang for your buck, so if you are on a tight budget, they might make the most sense. Generally cruises will all be about the same price regardless of which web site you book them on. You can also book them with a travel agent or directly with the cruise line for about the same price. Another way to save money is to book a stateroom that can hold three or four people. It will be tight quarters, but you probably won't spent too much time in the room anyway.

Late June has some risk of hurricanes, but it is not peak season for hurricanes. I would not worry about that risk too much. If there is a hurricane, usually the capatain will adjust the itinerary to keep the ship out of harms way, but it is very rare a cruise would be cancelled.

Have a fun time. :)

There's really no one port that is "cheaper" than another----if you have to fly in, then you're at the mercy of the airlines and their rates! For some, it's cheaper to fly into one city than it is to another Florida city! It depends where you're coming from!

We really love the Caribbean, but Bermuda will be nice and warm in June...(Not so much in January!!).

We like the Eastern Caribbean better than the Western....personal preference!

Sounds like you should talk to a travel agent---I'm sure there's one in your town....using one shouldn't cost you a penny!!! They can help you compare all the different cruiselines and costs!

Only question I can really answer is the choice between the bahamas and carribean. Hands down - carribean (unless bahamas is considerably cheaper - and I have no idea on that!). I have been to the bahamas once on a cruise and once for a week in Nassau - did not care for it at all.

Have fun wherever you end up:)

Maylinda, it's against the rules here to recommend a particular travel agency. That's why no one is telling you "book here, it's cheapest".

As already mentioned, you're booking late. I did some price comparisons, and the cheapest Florida departure (not saying it's the "best") for the end of June is Carnival Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale to the West Caribbean, June 28, 6 days....inside cabin guarantee, 4 to a cabin, around $600 for each of the first 2, around $360 for each 3rd and 4th, plus taxes = around $2,200 for all 4, $550 each.

A guarantee means you don't pick your cabin - it's assigned.

On top of that price, you have to budget for parking ($15 per day x 6 = $90 per vehicle); $60 per person for gratuities ($10 per person per day); cost of beverages - soda is not included, neither is alcohol; spending money.

P.S. - the same cruise August 23 is about $1,640 for 4 in an inside guarantee = $410 per person. That's why people are saying you're booking late.

Of course, a 3 or 4 day cruise would be cheaper, but IMO that's too short. YMMV.

The closest port for you is Port Canaveral (under 1 hour south from Daytona). If you and your friends are looking for a short, fun cruise then you have the choice of Carnival or Royal Caribbean to the Bahamas. They both have 3 or 4 night weekend or mid-week cruises to the Bahamas.

The weekend cruises tend to attract people who want to have fun & enjoy the nightlife. You can still get some good fares for these shorter cruises. We've been looking at them ourselves.

Both of these cruiselines also have weeklong cruises to the Caribbean and the prices are still not too bad for the summer, but you would certainly spend less if you sailed in the next couple of weeks, or after September 1st.

I don't think Tampa has any sailings in the summer, so your choices are Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

One thing you need to consider...You say you are all 'between 20-25'. Carnival requires if any passenger in a cabin is under 21, there must be a person in that cabin who is 25. If you have never been on a cruise, it shouldn't make any difference where you go, or on what ship. I would seek out a travel agent and lay out your bidget, and take it from there. The TA will know what questions to ask you, and what to ask the cruise line. Once you have your feet wet on your first cruise, you will have a better idea how to plan the next one. EM

If you have never been on a cruise, it shouldn't make any difference where you go, or on what ship. I would seek out a travel agent and lay out your bidget, and take it from there. The TA will know what questions to ask you, and what to ask the cruise line. Once you have your feet wet on your first cruise, you will have a better idea how to plan the next one. EM

I agree. You will enjoy whatever cruise you take - don't sweat all those details, let the TA do it for you!

When you have settled on a cruise, then research those ports and that ship. Don't forget to budget for excursions.

If you want to go pretty cheap but still want the experience of excellent service I would go on Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas. It goes to the Bahamas with 2 different itineraries.

The first is a Friday to Monday that goes Miami, Coco Cay, and Nassau

The Second is a Monday to Friday that goes Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West.

Both are great trips and very budget friendly. We take the shorter trip every winter and it's usually about 300 per person for a ocean view room.

Hope this helps!:)

Unlike airports, it usually doesn't matter which port you depart from as far as pricing goes. The season/demand and the ports you visit actually have more to do with pricing of cruises. Since you live in Daytona, you might also consider Port Canveral. There are some short and inexpensive options out of that port, and it's much closer to you than the other two you mentioned.

But it will come down to the age of you and your friends. If you all aren't over 21, there would be a problem.

I agree with ones who've said since it's your first cruise, choosing an itinerary shouldn't be a large component of the decision unless there's a port you've been wanting to visit.

Archived