Passports on shore excursions?

momof2furkids

Will we have to keep our passports with us when we leave the ship to go on shore? Or can they be left on board in the safe in our room? We're going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman (and no longer, Cozumel, I'm afraid...) in June on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas.

They can be left in the safe,but take a photocopy.

Arguement for leaving them behind is they can be lost or stolen ashore.

Arguement for taking. If you have problems on and island and need to fly somwhere, it will be difficult without yor passport.

But for clarification, if I drive to Florida, get on ship, get off at ports of call (Bahamas & Key West), and sail back to Florida, I don't need to go and get a passport. I don't have one. My understanding of all I need is a DL and birth certificate. HELP!

But for clarification, if I drive to Florida, get on ship, get off at ports of call (Bahamas & Key West), and sail back to Florida, I don't need to go and get a passport. I don't have one. My understanding of all I need is a DL and birth certificate. HELP!

A passport is not required but if you miss the ship in the Bahamas for any reason you will not be able to fly back without one.

Since you are going to GC, you should check out excursions to Stingray City. It is a fantastic place to go. Captain Marvins and the Buccaneer are great non-ship excursions there. We have been on a ship's excursion and then on the Buccaneer . . . BIG difference! Many less people, more stops, more fun on the Buccaneer.

Enjoy your change in itinerary. Have a fabulous cruise!

You must have a passport to fly between nations and/or to enter the USA by air. There are almost no exceptions. Pax miss ships for various reasons such as not paying attention to the departure time, caught in a traffic jam, involved in an accident or legal difficulties, etc. It happens and can happen to you. You will then have to fly to the next port or back to the USA with your passport.

As of June 1, 2009, the full requirements of WHTI (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html) will be in effect. You will need a passport, passport card or state issued enhanced driver's license (available in a few states) when reentering the USA by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Children under 16 can reenter with a birth certificate.

I always carry my passport with me when on foreign soil. It fits nicely in my back pocket or cargo pocket. I guard it as I do my credit cards and DL. After 10 years it looks worn but is useable. It is made to be quite durable and I have had it under water without any problems by accident of course. When snorkeling or swimming put it in the same safe place as your money and DL.

That is correct. And providing you don't have an emergency or miss the ship, you will not need anything more. Do make sure your DL is current and that your BC is a certified copy issued from a city/county/state, not a hospital memento or short form copy.

...As of June 1, 2009, the full requirements of WHTI (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html) will be in effect. You will need a passport, passport card or state issued enhanced driver's license (available in a few states) when reentering the USA by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Children under 16 can reenter with a birth certificate.
Don't forget to add that closed loop cruises can also use BC and ID...:).

Archived