Star or Ruby vs. Ocean or Pacific

Go-Bucks!

My friend and I are trying to decide on our next cruise and have narrowed it down to 5. The ships are the Star, Ruby, Ocean, or Pacific.

I would appreciate comments from those of you who have gone on any of these and can tell me what you really liked or disliked about them, especially as comparing the smaller ships vs. the larger ships. We will most likely be getting a minisuite, but possibly a balcony. We like the spa, Thermal Suites, shows, and daily activities.

Thanks for your help!

We have been on all but the Ruby. We enjoy them all, but our preference is for the smaller ships (the Tahitian/Ocean and Pacific). We feel you get to know the staff and the other passengers on the small ships. We also love their itineraries. They go to ports that the big ships either bypass or overrun.

Although some prefer the smaller ships to the larger ones of the fleet, make sure that the smaller ships are what you are interested in. Remember, although these are more of an intimate atmosphere onboard, they do offer a lot less than the larger ships. No multiple pools, no multiple show venues, and only assinged seating on the smaller ships.

If you are an anytime dining type of person, or don't enjoy rigid dining schedules, the smaller ships might not be the one to choose.

(I only say this as we sailed on the Tahitian/Ocean, and found many that were unhappy with what they found, as they like some sort of activity onboard constantly, as you would find on the larger ships).

Good luck on your decision though!

I have been on the Star and the Pacific Princess 2 and while I enjoyed my Pacific cruise I really much prefer the larger ships due to more amenties, Anytime Dining, just more activities. Also we usually get mini's too and the price on the smaller shipes is way higher than the larger ships. So something to be considered.

Marilyn

I love the Pacific, having just gotten off a 28 day cruise. We also have logged 84 previous days on this ship. That being said, I dislike traditional dining and that is the only "bad" thing I can say about the Pacific. If you choose a mini, on this ship they are much larger than on the bigger ships. Also, if size matters, you get from "here to there" in 2 minutes.

However, I've been on the Star and the Ruby too. I love the Ruby. What could be bad about NEW? I love personal choice dining, so that's a plus and I also like the fact that there is more of everything on a large ship.

You really can't compare a little ship to a big ship, since they are two very different cruising experiences.

Thanks for all the opinions! You guys are always so helpful.

We've decided to go on the Ocean Princess. We really chose the cruise for the itinerary (Greece, Italy, Turkey, France, and Spain), but are also interested in trying a small ship. We are going to get the minisuite - it looks very nice. Some of the ports were unknown to me (Argostoli and Itea, Greece), but after some research they seem quite interesting. I guess they are accessible because this is a small ship!

We do prefer Anytime dining, but it's not a deal breaker. And during the day we're just as satisfied to sit by the pool, read, and relax. To me, just being on a cruise, not working, and not cooking is what makes each day on vacation wonderful! :D

I love the Pacific, having just gotten off a 28 day cruise. We also have logged 84 previous days on this ship. That being said, I dislike traditional dining and that is the only "bad" thing I can say about the Pacific. If you choose a mini, on this ship they are much larger than on the bigger ships. Also, if size matters, you get from "here to there" in 2 minutes.

However, I've been on the Star and the Ruby too. I love the Ruby. What could be bad about NEW? I love personal choice dining, so that's a plus and I also like the fact that there is more of everything on a large ship.

You really can't compare a little ship to a big ship, since they are two very different cruising experiences.

I'll be on the Pacific this year in Alaska. How was the motion of the ship? Did it handle rough seas well?

Thanks!

Jill

I'll be on the Pacific this year in Alaska. How was the motion of the ship? Did it handle rough seas well?

Thanks!

Jill

I wouldn't be concerned about rough seas in Alaska, because nothing moves in Alaska. ;)

Seriously, the only time the Pacific bounced around was right out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I wouldn't be concerned about rough seas in Alaska, because nothing moves in Alaska. ;)

Seriously, the only time the Pacific bounced around was right out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Thank you so much. I'm not worried about me. I love a fun ride, but my friend who is cruising with me, she's another story. :eek:

Jilly

Thanks!

Jill

We took the 14 day Alaskan cruise last summer on the Tahtian (sister of the Pacific) and had no trouble with the ship rocking.

Thanks for all the opinions! You guys are always so helpful.

We've decided to go on the Ocean Princess. We really chose the cruise for the itinerary (Greece, Italy, Turkey, France, and Spain), but are also interested in trying a small ship. We are going to get the minisuite - it looks very nice. Some of the ports were unknown to me (Argostoli and Itea, Greece), but after some research they seem quite interesting. I guess they are accessible because this is a small ship!

We do prefer Anytime dining, but it's not a deal breaker. And during the day we're just as satisfied to sit by the pool, read, and relax. To me, just being on a cruise, not working, and not cooking is what makes each day on vacation wonderful! :D

With the huge discounting by the premium lines these days (Regent, Oceania) that include free flights, free excursions, and free wine, if I were going to do a small ship, I would go premium. The price actually works out better on the premium lines. I will probably pay more for the Ruby than a Regent Med cruise but the bigger Ruby has anytime dining, more entertainment choices and I loved the Crown and dates work better. But I was tempted by the premium lines and ultimately decided between two bigger ships on different cruiselines (Ruby has anytime dining and Solstice may be adding it).

In our experience when cruising in Europe you gotta choose itinerary and cost first.. You probably won't even have a time (or energy :D) to enjoy all amenities large Princess ships offer. For example I can't imagine watching many MUTS movies late at night after or before 7-9 hours tours.

My friend and I are trying to decide on our next cruise and have narrowed it down to 5. The ships are the Star, Ruby, Ocean, or Pacific.

I would appreciate comments from those of you who have gone on any of these and can tell me what you really liked or disliked about them, especially as comparing the smaller ships vs. the larger ships. We will most likely be getting a minisuite, but possibly a balcony. We like the spa, Thermal Suites, shows, and daily activities.

Thanks for your help!

Guess I should have asked where to??

I would have to disagree with nothing moving in Alaska.

On the Island out of Whittier last Sept we hit very rough seas for the first 2 days, it was not pleasant at all. :eek:

Ginger Ginger ginger

I know you can hit bad seas anywhere. I just hope the small ships handle it as well as the large ones.

We were on the Infinity to Hawaii and I thought we were going to be thrown out of our beds.:eek: I thought it was fun.

I sailed on the Ocean (Tahitian at that time) this past November and we loved it. The atmosphere is so different from the big ships.

We had a minisuite on deck 8 (8049) and it was just great. The layout is different from the minis on the big ships - it's rectangular and pretty spacious. On the big ships it's long and narrow. The sofa is a good size and comfortable (at least for sitting). There's also a couple of chairs and a small table in the seating area. The bathroom is bigger than those of balcony cabins on the big ships, with a tub that also has a shower head. The counter for the sink is roomy so we both had enough space for toiletry items.

Archived