Hand sanitizing/cleaning

Parrot Mom

Sure as heck I'm going to get flammed for this, but I was unpleasantly surprised not to see anybody cleaning railings, elevators, etc. on the Pacific Princess. What shocked me even more was having cruised on another line you could not go anywhere near into a dining room or buffet without staff on either side of you offering you hand sanitizers...they almost dare you to pass them..lol..Actually saw one staff member cleaning cigarette butts from ouside without gloves.. when I asked him why..he said he uses alot of handsanitizers. One night on another ship I saw the dining room staff wiping down the chair..but that was late at night..On other ships that I've been on there is also a hand sanitizer stand next to the entrance of the dining room.. Think it would be a good idea..

There is almost always a hand sanitizer stand near the entry to the dining room and the buffet areas. Perhaps they have run out? No flaming - I agree - it should be available in convenient locations including dining areas, the internet cafe, the library, etc.

There is almost always a hand sanitizer stand near the entry to the dining room and the buffet areas. Perhaps they have run out? No flaming - I agree - it should be available in convenient locations including dining areas, the internet cafe, the library, etc.

Hell yeah, especially now. I would be paranoid at the moment if I was cruising around Mexico. I hope they sort it out before Feb.........

Sure as heck I'm going to get flammed for this, but I was unpleasantly surprised not to see anybody cleaning railings, elevators, etc. on the Pacific Princess. What shocked me even more was having cruised on another line you could not go anywhere near into a dining room or buffet without staff on either side of you offering you hand sanitizers...they almost dare you to pass them..lol..Actually saw one staff member cleaning cigarette butts from ouside without gloves.. when I asked him why..he said he uses alot of handsanitizers. One night on another ship I saw the dining room staff wiping down the chair..but that was late at night..On other ships that I've been on there is also a hand sanitizer stand next to the entrance of the dining room.. Think it would be a good idea..

We have been on the CB twice. Sometimes I see the cleaning staff sometimes I don't. The ship always looks and smells clean. I don't think I would like to see someone wiping down banisters 24/7. Even in hotels that I have stayed in I rarely see the staff cleaning public areas. It just does not add to the ambiance. As far as the handsanitizers I have to agree that they should have at least had it available for those who wished to use it. Personally I love the stuff it feels and smells great. The only problem is I use it so much that my hands are like sand paper.

Actually, on the PP the hand sanitizers were on a stand or column in front of the pizza/omelet station--which is halfway into the buffet area. BTW the library on this ship is absolutely magnificent with the latest in books just put in when the ship left Florida..

Do hand sanitizers really work? Yes and no.

Carnival Cruise Line had about the same number of NLV outbreaks as all the other mass market lines - until 2003.

Then they started removing hand sanitizers form their ships at the suggestion (not requirement) of the CDC.

From 2004 to today they have had a total of 6 NLV Outbreaks, the lowest in the industry.

HAL decided to ignore the CDC recommendations.

They have sanitizer stations everywhere on their ships.

The crew squirt the stuff onto your hands every time you come up the gangway.

They squirt it onto your hands everytime you enter the dining room.

From 2002 until today they have had 36 reported NLV outbreaks. The highest in the industry.

RCCL/Celebrity used to have hand sanitizers everywhere, but their numbers of outbreaks continued to increase. In 2006 they had 15 outbreaks; the highest in the industry for that year.

In 2007 they removed the sanitizers. They have had only 4 outbreaks since.

Yes, the hand sanitizers do work - IF THEY ARE USED PROPERLY.

But history and experience has proven that the cruising public DO NOT use them properly.

Too many people stop washing their hands when they have the option of using hand sanitizers instead.

We cannot legislate cleanliness. So long as we have so many people raised by wolves sailing on our ships. it is safer to take the sanitizers away.

I had a hard time finding the sanitizers on the Grand in Mar.09. Yes they had them outside the buffet but not in the dining room and I asked. It was only available at night in the dining room and it wasn't really out in the open.

I was on the ship 28 days and did not get sick.:eek:

JTUKAK .. that isn't the point.. the point being that I was surprised the crew wasnt as pro-active in making sure that sanitizers were being used by cruisers and I never saw crew cleaning continually as I have on other ships in areas where germs could be passed on.. ie railings, elevator, etc. Glad you came through the 28 days healthy.

JTUTAK .. that isn't the point.. the point being that I was surprised the crew wasn't as pro-active in making sure that sanitizers were being used by cruisers and I never saw crew cleaning continually as I have on other ships in areas where germs could be passed on.. ie railings, elevator, etc. Glad you came through the 28 days healthy.
That's not my point, I believe that we are all responsible for our own actions and the crew cannot force proper hygiene on passengers. Example on RCL I have seen times where they give each person a hand wipe and 30%-40% people just toss them without using them.

It’s been the regular 6 months since the hand sanitizer thread has been posted.

1. This stuff does not “clean” your hands; it just moves dirt from one place to another.

2. It works very well in killing bacteria, which it was made for.

3. It is effective on just a hand full of the thousands of virus in the world. The Noro is NOT one of them. It may be effective against the Influenza bug, but your hands would have to be WET with this goop for over a minute. Every time I’ve used it, the standard blob of gel has evaporated within 20 seconds.

Alcohol based sanitizers are not strong enough for a virus. Lysol and the like are also designed for bacteria. There are products designed to kill hand borne virus, but they are very caustic and expensive. If I am not mistaken, last year one cruise line stopped the smoke and mirror show and completely removed the hand sanitizers from their ships.

Wash your hands, often. Soap and water are the best defense. The soap breaks down the natural oils on your skin; the water then flushes dirt and any little nasty bug down the drain.

Keep your hands out of your eyes, nose and mouth.

If you depend on a hand sanitizer alone to keep you safe, you will get sick.

I want to say that your experience is a little unique in that we have always noticed extensive cleaning efforts of the public areas on board, even on both our Princess trips. I think I even remember a thread here a short while ago about some pax that were annoyed that there was so much cleaning going on. Perhaps you missed their scheduled times or something...a lack of attention to cleaning just hasnt seemed to be an issue

So, you were everywhere, all the time, 24/7 and KNOW that nobody cleans anything, anywhere, anytime.....

Amazing.

Meanwhile......carry your own hand sanitizer in your purse or beach bag. Whenever you are feeling paranoid, have a squirt.

So' date=' you were everywhere, all the time, 24/7 and KNOW that nobody cleans anything, anywhere, anytime.....

Amazing.

Meanwhile......carry your own hand sanitizer in your purse or beach bag. Whenever you are feeling paranoid, have a squirt.[/quote']

On a ship that size it's obvious and can't help but notice something so obvious... when on other ships you can't help and the continual cleaning..

wash your hands people! don't rely on the sanitizers.

then again the people who don't wash are not the members of cc. we all know! ;)

The mighty one percent of cruisers who log onto CC won't save us. Yesterday DH took home 'special' hand sanitizers so DD decided she no longer had to wash her hands before dinner. Is it only me that don't like the feel on hand sanitizer goop on my hand before dinner? I am just used to washing while singing the Happy Birthday Song!

It’s been the regular 6 months since the hand sanitizer thread has been posted.

1. This stuff does not “clean” your hands; it just moves dirt from one place to another.

2. It works very well in killing bacteria, which it was made for.

3. It is effective on just a hand full of the thousands of virus in the world. The Noro is NOT one of them. It may be effective against the Influenza bug, but your hands would have to be WET with this goop for over a minute. Every time I’ve used it, the standard blob of gel has evaporated within 20 seconds.

Alcohol based sanitizers are not strong enough for a virus. Lysol and the like are also designed for bacteria. There are products designed to kill hand borne virus, but they are very caustic and expensive. If I am not mistaken, last year one cruise line stopped the smoke and mirror show and completely removed the hand sanitizers from their ships.

Wash your hands, often. Soap and water are the best defense. The soap breaks down the natural oils on your skin; the water then flushes dirt and any little nasty bug down the drain.

Keep your hands out of your eyes, nose and mouth.

If you depend on a hand sanitizer alone to keep you safe, you will get sick.

I was about to post the exact same thing. Hand sanitizer does not kill viral infections, only bacteria. It does not prevent or protect you from Noro virus. Hand sanitizer actually helps to embed that microscopic virus into the grooves in your fingerprints and into cuts. Hand washing does not actually "kill" the virus, but it removes it from your hands. That's why hand washing is your best defence and sanitizer should be used AFTER washing your hands not in place of it!

The mighty one percent of cruisers who log onto CC won't save us. Yesterday DH took home 'special' hand sanitizers so DD decided she no longer had to wash her hands before dinner. Is it only me that don't like the feel on hand sanitizer goop on my hand before dinner? I am just used to washing while singing the Happy Birthday Song!

I agree, we don't like the feel or smell of the hand sanitizer, use it sometimes anyway, but really prefer to wash our hands well instead.

I agree, we don't like the feel or smell of the hand sanitizer, use it sometimes anyway, but really prefer to wash our hands well instead.

Same here. I wash my hands before going to the DR & never use the stuff they want to squirt on my hands. Since I know my hands are clean I dislike using the sanitizer.

Going to the buffet is a little different since I usually touch things along the way & probably pick up some germs in the process.

I wash my hands a lot too.

I carry a personal hand sanitizer into the dining room to use after touching the menus. I know the covered menus look nice, but I wish they would use paper menus that are fresh for each person. I especially don't like it when they set my menu on my plate.

Call me crazy, but I also use my elbows to push the elevator buttons and other things.

There was an outbreak of norovirus on my last cruise and we stayed healthy thank heaven, but the people next door were quaranteened. Heard them talking on their balcony.

I wash my hands a lot too.

I carry a personal hand sanitizer into the dining room to use after touching the menus. I know the covered menus look nice, but I wish they would use paper menus that are fresh for each person. I especially don't like it when they set my menu on my plate.

Call me crazy, but I also use my elbows to push the elevator buttons and other things.

So do I especially on the way to the DR.

There was an outbreak of norovirus on my last cruise and we stayed healthy thank heaven, but the people next door were quaranteened. Heard them talking on their balcony.

A lot of good the hand sanitizes does after touching an infected menu. :eek:

I wonder if they ever do wipe down the covers?:confused:

Archived