Naples on our own!!!

Naples on our own!

Hi all. My fiancee, who will be my wife by our cruise are looking to do Naples on our own.

I have a few questions? Where do the cruise ships dock usually?

If I then want to get the train to Pompei how do I get from the ship to the train station?

How long does it take in the train to Pompei?

If the weather permits is it worth going up Vesuvias? If so Can we get there from Pompei? Or do we need to go back to Naples then Up the Mountain? If we want a general look across the bay... is the mountain the best place to go? How long does the climb actually take for a pair of fit people?

Where is best to go for Pizza and Naples?

If you did naples on your own... what was your day's itinery?

Mark + Laura

Hello Mark & Laura, and congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

We've been to Naples three times on cruises. Twice we did our own thing, once we took an excursion (to Capri). Here are some answers to questions I can help with:

a) cruise ships generally dock at the Stazione Marittima, a 1920s/30s port terminal that's been modernised not too long ago. It's very close to the hydrofoil dock (for Capri & Sorrento), and it's an easy walk cross a huge square to Via Cristoforo Colombo, alongside Castel Nuovo. (However, on our last visit our ship actually docked some distance away thanks to port congestion, and this made things much more difficult: the cruise line had to provide shuttle buses to get us round to the S. Marittima, and this slowed us down a lot.)

b) you can get a tram or a bus along via C Colombo that will take you to the Circumvesuviana station. Get a ticket before you board - there's a kiosk opposite the stop. However, the last time we visited we were sold the wrong ticket - it was a Sunday & we were sold a weekday ticket. Accidentaly? Deliberately? I don't know....

c) my recollection is that it isn't long in the train to Pompeii. You need to have a good look at the Circumvesuviana website.

d) on our first visit we walked up to San Martino, an old old monastery now a museum, high above the city, with excellent views. Google 'Certando San Martino'.

Naples on our own!

Hi all. My fiancee, who will be my wife by our cruise are looking to do Naples on our own.

I have a few questions? Where do the cruise ships dock usually?

If I then want to get the train to Pompei how do I get from the ship to the train station?

How long does it take in the train to Pompei?

If the weather permits is it worth going up Vesuvias? If so Can we get there from Pompei? Or do we need to go back to Naples then Up the Mountain? If we want a general look across the bay... is the mountain the best place to go? How long does the climb actually take for a pair of fit people?

Where is best to go for Pizza and Naples?

If you did naples on your own... what was your day's itinery?

Mark + Laura

Please check the train schedule carefully and compare it to the time you will have in port. On our last cruise, we wanted to skip the ship excursion and go to Pompei on our own, but were not able to because we wouldn't have made it back in time, due to the train schedule.

We did have a wonderful time though, taking the hydrofoil to Capri, so all was not lost!

So I can check the train timetables... can someone give me a little more info on the names of the train stations close to the port and the train station I should get off at for pompei as there seems to be various stops there and numerous stations in nples itself?

Is it possible then to go up the volcano from pompei... or am I best leaving that to another time... and just giving pompei good time then walking the streets of Naples itself?

Would love to get a good photo of the bay... any ideas??? Im thinking from the top of the Volcano wont make for anything spectacular really!... not in terms of photos... If you are a photographer you will know what I mean... to much hase and too far way!

Is it possible then to go up the volcano from pompei... or am I best leaving that to another time... and just giving pompei good time then walking the streets of Naples itself?

While Vesuvius could have been interesting, we opted for Herculaneum. It is a stop on the same train to Pompeii. On our return trip from Pompeii to Naples we got off the train at Ercolano 'Scavi', walked about 1/2 mile downhill from the train station directly into the entrance to Herculaneum.

My opinion, Herculaneum, due to better preservation, shows more of the fine details of daily life at the time of Vesuvius' eruption.

Either way, it is another option for your day in Naples.

While I am rambling...we left the ship and as we walked thru the port facilities building I stopped at the 'Information' booth. The gal spoke fine english. I told her that we wanted to go to Pompeii on our own...could she help. She unfolded a map, made some marks on it detailing the train station, which bus to take to get there, where to buy tickets, etc, etc. We took the map, followed her directions and had a wonderful day. (Oct. 08)

I believe that you want to find your way to Stazione Centrale (Garibaldi) from the ship to catch the train to Pompeii.

Here is some info I got off these boards. You can buy a ticket for a roundtrip €8.60 or so from the ticket window at the Pompei Scavi/Villa dei Misteri Circumvesuviana Train Station and take a Vesuviana Mobilita` bus. That is the train station you want for Pompeii. I did Mt Vesuvuis about 10 years ago so I was approx. 40. It is a rough uphill walk and the air was thin, but we made it in about 1/2 hour I think. When we were there last time, we had a car. I am going on the Gem in June and some of my party are planning on taking train to Pompeii for a couple hours and then the bus to the top of mountain.

Here is some more info I got about catching the bus to the train station.

Heres how to get to Pompeii by train. Very easy. When you exit the ship walk across the street to the newstand. Buy a bus ticket for 1.5 euros to the train station. Walk back across the street and take the #1 bus to the train station. Don't forget to validate your ticket on the bus. The bus ride was about 10 minutes. Take the Sorrento train and get off at Pompeii Scarvi. There are 2 Pompeii stops, so be sure to get off at Pompeii Scarvi.The entrance to Pompeii is right behind the train station. It took about 15 minutes on the train. There are private tour guides waiting to be hired, or go to the information booth and get the free map.

Hope this helps you!

:)I have yet to eat here, but from these boards I have read really positve reveiews on this pizza house in Naples

Antica Pizzeria SRL 'Da Michele'

Via Cesare Sersal

1/3 (Angolo Via P Colleta)

80100 Naples

Italy

You can also walk to the station. Here is a good map of Naples. The circumvesuim train starts at the Station S.F.S.M. on the map. You can also get on at the central station. If you do walk I would suggest you cross the street at a crosswalk near the port. The ship will probably dock where it says Marine Station.

http://www.planetware.com/map/naples-map-i-i34.htm

well we will be in naples in septembre and thinking of doing pompeii on our own,just wandering isn t easier if we take a cab from the port ,will it cost much more ,since we are a family of four.thanks for all your help.

I am confused about the post regarding train schedules to and from Pompeii (the proper station is actualy "Pompeii Scavi" not "Pompeii"). The trains are operated by the privately owned Circumvesuviania Line and they run trains about every 30 min between Naples and Sorrento. These trains have stops at both Pompeii Scavi and Ercolao (for Herculanium) and the ride to Pompeii is about a half hour each way. In fact, if you go to Pompeii early in the morning (the best time if its a hot day) you would probably have time to continue on to Sorrento (keep in mind that most shops close in the afternoon). Some have even gone on to Sorrento, caught a jet boat over to Capri and returned to Naples from Capri by Jet Boat or hydrofoil (I do not recommend this option since it does not give you much time on Capri).

Hank

I am confused about the post regarding train schedules to and from Pompeii (the proper station is actualy "Pompeii Scavi" not "Pompeii"). The trains are operated by the privately owned Circumvesuviania Line and they run trains about every 30 min between Naples and Sorrento. These trains have stops at both Pompeii Scavi and Ercolao (for Herculanium) and the ride to Pompeii is about a half hour each way. In fact, if you go to Pompeii early in the morning (the best time if its a hot day) you would probably have time to continue on to Sorrento (keep in mind that most shops close in the afternoon). Some have even gone on to Sorrento, caught a jet boat over to Capri and returned to Naples from Capri by Jet Boat or hydrofoil (I do not recommend this option since it does not give you much time on Capri).

Hank

I believe you are referring to my post. Our ship did not stop in Naples, it was another city, and due to our schedule there, we did not have enough time to take the train and get from Pompei on our own. It was just a warning to check carefully first as you don't want to be back late.

We are returning to Naples this summer and plan to walk around town on our own; visit the Museum and enjoy the interesting sites. Thank you Eileen for the link to the map.

Tom_UK, thanks for the tip about Certando San Martino sounds lovely.

Last time we took the ship's excursion to Pompeii and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had lots of time in the afternoon to wander around town a bit and enjoyed some pizza.

The traffic coming into the city can be difficult in the afternoons so those planning their own excursions should leave extra time to return to the ship.

Photos of Pompeii etc. in the link below.

Kathy:)

• 2 weeks later...
We are returning to Naples this summer and plan to walk around town on our own; visit the Museum and enjoy the interesting sites. Thank you Eileen for the link to the map.

Tom_UK, thanks for the tip about Certando San Martino sounds lovely.

Last time we took the ship's excursion to Pompeii and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had lots of time in the afternoon to wander around town a bit and enjoyed some pizza.

The traffic coming into the city can be difficult in the afternoons so those planning their own excursions should leave extra time to return to the ship.

Photos of Pompeii etc. in the link below.

Your pictures are amazing! I think we're doing nearly the same itinerary on the Legend in September for our honeymoon.

Your pictures are amazing! I think we're doing nearly the same itinerary on the Legend in September for our honeymoon.

Glad you liked the pictures. What a fabulous way to spend your honeymoon. Congratulations! Have a wonderful cruise.

Just wondering if someone can tell me the name of the train station where we catch the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii? I'm trying to look a the schedule for the trains - and I don't know which stop to look at for boarding. I do know that we get off at Pompeii Scavi.

Thanks!

For All those interested in the Train to Pompei take a look at this link, it couldnt be more precise .....:) and the info regarding the bus to the Train station by Pennies2 is very useful.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

KK18 .... i thought you would have pointed these good people in the direction of your thread or maybe copied the link to here for them ......:D

Dave.

Yes, the Circumvesuviana train is the one you want to take to get to the Pompeii Scavi stop. The trains run roughly every 20-40 minutes. Our experience was that the train schedule for this train is similar to lane lines for drivers, just a suggestion. The trains do not seem to try and follow that schedule very closely. Basically, you have about half an hour from naples to Pompeii Scavi and about half an hour from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi.

takeavacation, which port will you be in? If Sorrento, there is only one train station there. If Napoli there are two places to catch it, but more trains seem to get to the Napoli Centrale Garibaldi stop than the other one.

For those looking for train information, this site (from CC member GSPLover) is a wealth of information: http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm, after reading the basics, scroll down to: Napoli, Ercolano, Pompeii and Sorrento.

Also, taking a copy of Rick Steves' Italy guidebook (or photocopied pages from it) will be a good help for touring in this area. It also contains detailed info on the Circumvesuviana train between Naples and Sorrento.

Yes, the Circumvesuviana train is the one you want to take to get to the Pompeii Scavi stop. The trains run roughly every 20-40 minutes. Our experience was that the train schedule for this train is similar to lane lines for drivers, just a suggestion. The trains do not seem to try and follow that schedule very closely. Basically, you have about half an hour from naples to Pompeii Scavi and about half an hour from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi.

takeavacation, which port will you be in? If Sorrento, there is only one train station there. If Napoli there are two places to catch it, but more trains seem to get to the Napoli Centrale Garibaldi stop than the other one.

We are in Naples -- but, I thought I'd read here not to go to the Central station -- that it was much further and you could catch the train closer to the port. Any ideas??? Thanks!

We are in Naples -- but, I thought I'd read here not to go to the Central station -- that it was much further and you could catch the train closer to the port. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Central Station & the Circumvesuviana station aren't that far apart, in fact. We went to central station (by accident) on the bus the day we did the train ride and then simply walked back to the Circumvesuviana station - it was about 5 minutes or a bit more.

The Circumvesuviana trains start at the their own station - it's a terminus - and their first stop is Central station. They must have their own platform(s), however - the Circumvesuviana railway isn't standard gauge. I think it might be metre-gauge.

The walking directions in the Tom Ogg review linked to above will take you to the Circumvesuviana terminal. It's one stop before the Central Station. The stop is called Napoli Porta Nolana Corso Garibaldi if you want to come back to it at the end of the day (it will be the end of the line). From my understanding it is about a 25 min walk to/from the port, but it can be difficult to cross the streets and walk through traffic.

naparmelee, how did you get from the Sorrento dock to the Sorrento train station to catch the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii? Were taxis or buses readily available?

Hi Pam,

We were at Marina Piccola and walked up, but that took about 15-20 minutes, and quite an uphill climb. There were a few taxis at the port and I would recommend finding another couple to share the cost with ... it's a short ride, but I think I've read the fare is around 10 euros. The cruise ship's shuttle will take you to Piazza Tasso, but it's still a few minutes walk from there to the train station. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/europe/italy/sorrento/map_of_sorrento.jpg

Archived