Northern Lights...Have you seen 'em ?

Nerr

Hey everyone...

We are booked on an Emerald Princess cruise, out of Copenhagen, on September 23, heading up towards Greenland and Iceland. Has anyone who has been up to this area actually seen the Northern Lights ? Does the ship's crew make a point of telling folks when and where the best time will be to see them, or is it totally unpredictable ?

Second question is has anyone booked a shore excursion, with a private company, and then literally 'missed the boat', because of un-for-seen problems ? We keep reading about how the ship will wait for you if you are booked on a ship sponsored excursion, other wise you are on your own. Being fairly new to the cruising game, we are a bit on the hesitant side to color outside of the line, so to speak...

Nerr

Have never been on a cruise to northern regions so can't speak to the Northern Lights question. But I have seen them in the winter months here at home in Canada; and since your signature say's you're also from Canada - what part?

As far as missing the boat - yes I have seen it happen on more than one occasion. It's quite fun watching people being brought out by motor boat and then having to climb up the rope ladder while the ship is moving!!!

As far as missing the boat - yes I have seen it happen on more than one occasion. It's quite fun watching people being brought out by motor boat and then having to climb up the rope ladder while the ship is moving!!!

Did you verify that these people were on independently-operated shore excursions or did they just stay in the shops too long? Big difference and probably hard to verify unless you met them as they boarded the ship or ran into them personally after that. I have not read or heard of a specific case where an independent operator failed to get the cruise ship passenger(s) back to the ship in time.

I think the cruise lines use this as a scare tactic more than anything else.

I've seen the Northern Lights in VT, and when doing a trans-Atlantic in the mid-50s.

As for missing the ship, I've actually seen that quite often. Several times, I've seen people being picked up at the dock by the pilot boat and taken to the ship that way; they've had to board by going up a rope ladder. Probably cost them a fortune.

Memorable times were when we were on a Panama Canal transit and our last port before going through the Canal and on to Acapulco five or six days later was Isla Margarita, off the coast of Venezuela. Four people went to the beach on their own and didn't make it back. The only flights (at that time) were once every few days to Caracas so I have no idea whatever happened to them but their stuff arrived in Acapulco without them.

Another time, we were leaving Barcelona and our next port was Cannes. The port lecturer, Joe May, said before we arrived, "Be sure to bring a camera so you can take a picture of the ship sailing away." Sure 'nuff, two couples missed the ship. They had to make their own arrangements to go to Cannes overnight and met the ship as it docked the next day.

Several years ago, we were on a Med cruise and my sister had taken the ship's Amalfi Drive tour. There was a LOT of traffic and the tour arrived back to the ship over an hour and a half late. When you're on the Amalfi Drive, you can't turn off and take a shortcut. :) The ship waited for them but not for some others who took an independent tour.

If I book an independent tour, I make sure I take one with a very reputable company and the plan is to get back to the ship in plenty of time because I know that "stuff" happens.

Did you verify that these people were on independently-operated shore excursions or did they just stay in the shops too long? Big difference and probably hard to verify unless you met them as they boarded the ship or ran into them personally after that. I have not read or heard of a specific case where an independent operator failed to get the cruise ship passenger(s) back to the ship in time.

I think the cruise lines use this as a scare tactic more than anything else.

It's not a scare tactic as it does happen all the time. I don't think I've taken any cruise on any cruiseline that didn't have people come back late to the ship in at least one port. Independent tour operators are generally very responsible but "stuff" happens to them, too: breakdowns, flat tires, traffic, strikes, who knows what! I was on a ship's tour in HI a year ago, to the summit of Mauna Kea. One of the two vans taking ship's passengers to the summit had their drive chain break (or whatever it is that transfers the power to the wheels) and we were all stuck on the mountain with only one van that had to shuttle us back and forth. We were very late coming back but the point is that even reputable tour operators experience "stuff."

Nerr, I'm laughing now!

We decided to fly over to iceland for a few days after the September 13th Baltic Cruise on Emerald... I had no idea it was calling there and in Greenland on its Transatlantic voyage...

So we may get up to Reykjavik, and who shall we see but the Emerald that we just got off of docked there! Hilarious!

Through the years I have seen numerous examples of passengers missing or almost missing the ship. Common? Not in my experience, but it does happen, I've seen it. However, except for one case, I suspect that it was not due to an official tour operator but passengers losing track of time or neglecting to plan for enough time to return to the ship.

Like others - Have seen my fair share of passengers miss the boat. Once in Belize a reputable tour operator had his van of folks miss the boat. Blew out a tire and some other engine issue(caused by the blow out). We passed them - actually stopped but could not get the people into our van and our driver radio'd for help. Seems there were several "checkpoints" in the country that trip due to some political unrest and the van was unable to get their folks back to the ship on time. Its also a tender port - so a little harder.

We did see a boat pull along side our ship about 1 hour after we sailed and it appeared the group of 15 or so had finally made it back to the ship. Believe that the tour operator picked up the tab to get everyone back on board.

Once - had an older teenage son go "missing" in Cozumel. Long story short - read between the lines here Mexico, teenage boy:):) - hubby and I got off the ship to go to the taxi peir to catch a taxi into town and try and find him. We were not the only parents doing so I might add! I stayed by the pier and hubby took off. 10 minutes before the boat was to leave - son pulls up in a taxi(van - big van)with about 25 other kids and we have the taxi head guy radio off for the other parents in town to bring them back.

The taxi pier was about 3/4 of a mile from the ship. There were at least 50 adults at a dead run with their wayward teenagers in tow racing to catch the boat. It was actually a teen group tour that somehow managed to lose the tour guide.....Long Story:)

Anyways - son has been banned from cruises for two years (I still cannot forget what my heart felt like!) and we usually will only book off boat excusions if we have plenty of time in port and feel comfortable there is a plan to get us back to the boat - or it will be easy to catch up.

20 yr old son joins us this cruise....with VERY strict instructions:)!

We did manage to see the Northern Lights on the STAR PRINCESS's trans-atlantic cruise in 9/2006. If I recall correctly, it was the first night out of Reykjavik (Iceland), heading for Qaqortoq (Greenland). The officer on the bridge came on the PA system to notify passengers of this event. (It was sometime during 2nd sitting traditional dinner, and remained well after dinner was complete.)

I had a great experience with the Northern lights. Many years ago I was staying in the country outside Ottawa during March Break. At around midnight our first day we go the call that my father had died. He had not been well and was 85 so it was not a complete shock. We loaded the car and set out for the hour long drive home. As we turned onto the deserted snowy road we were greeted by a fantastic display of the northern lights. We stopped the car and spent a few minutes gazing to the sky. In the midst of the emotion of the moment it felt like a message from my Dad.

Hi there,

We are in Canada as well, and I must tell you that I saw beautiful Northern Lights in Ottawa area a couple of years ago some time during the summer, I don’t recall what month.

As for your other questions, every time we cruise, we hear about people missing the ship. That’s why we don’t take independent tours. Plus, if you want to arrange it on your own, it will take lots of time in research. No matter what you choose to do ashore, always give yourself plenty of time to return to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Chelsea

I had a "hair-raising" experience on the Amalfi Coast...:eek:

I had booked an independent tour and due to traffic we were late back to the Royal Princess. We were SO NERVOUS as we wound our way back thru Sorrento to the ship, had called ahead and we were told there was a Princess tour bus that was also late and if we made it before they did, we would be in luck. We did! Yipee! But we really got a scolding from the staff as we boarded the tender.

Lesson learned...always carry passport as we didn't that day and I'm not sure how we would have gotten to the next port...Malta. Also, leave plenty of time to arrive back to ship.

My next cruise to the Baltics we are taking an independent tour as I just don't like the larger tours, BUT we will get back in plenty of time and know there are other means of transport available in a city whereas when you are on a mountain road with no means of escape...PHEW, never want to do that again! lol!

We saw the Northern Lights on an Alaska cruise a few years ago. They told us to leave our tv on the Princess channel when we went to bed. At 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, they announced that anybody who wanted to see the lights should get out on deck immediately. We threw on some clothes and went up to the top of the ship. Pretty good! :)

We live in the foothills above Sacramento CA and about 6 years ago one summer night we looked to the north and saw a red glow high up in the sky. We have seen the glow from brush fires before but this was different as it went from the western horizon to the eastern horizon in waves. The next morning the paper reported that this glow was indeed provided by the Northern Lights. Been to Norway, Canada and Alaska and have never seen them:-)

49er

When I was a youngster, growing up in Southern Indiana I got to see the Northern Lights once, in Indiana. Guess the atmosphere was just right. Many times, while going to bed, I got to listen to WLS radio in Chicago. Again I guess it all had to do with the atmosphere; it was always during the winter though.

On a recent ship-sponsored tour on Bonaire, there was an eldery gentleman who got lost while wandering about the nature preserve we were visiting. Our guide had to go find him, and because of that our tour got back to the ship late; but at least it was still there.

We were told that we were the last people getting back and that the ship would be leaving right away. Had this been a private tour, we would have "missed the boat" & would have had to find our own way to the next island.

• 1 year later...

Heading up towards Greenland and Iceland. Has anyone who has been up to this area actually seen the Northern Lights ?

On my last cruise (transatlantic from London-NYC via Iceland, Greenland, and Canada), I went out on the balcony every night that didn't have clouds to see if I could see the Northern Lights. This was one of my most hoped-for experiences, but I never saw them. I would often wake up at night and check then too, but nothing. Didn't see any on the Alaska cruise either. :(

Second question is has anyone booked a shore excursion, with a private company, and then literally 'missed the boat', because of un-for-seen problems?

We had planned to take an independent excursion on Grand Cayman Island, but when I realized how close the return was to the ship's departure I cancelled it and we just went to the beach. We got the last tender back to the ship and heard later that several people who took the tour that we had planned to take didn't make it back in time and were left behind! Yes, it happens! I do take independent tours, but not unless they're planning to be back at least a couple hours before departure and are companies that are highly recommended by other cruisers.

Archived