Luggage Tags before or after flying?

We will be flying to our port, and are wondering if we should put our luggage tags (the cruise tags) on before, or after the flight?

I'd hate for them to get ripped off on the way there, but at least if they're on there, perhaps if our bags get lost they'll find their way to the ship? Any advice?

We will be flying to our port, and are wondering if we should put our luggage tags (the cruise tags) on before, or after the flight?

I'd hate for them to get ripped off on the way there, but at least if they're on there, perhaps if our bags get lost they'll find their way to the ship? Any advice?

Never put them on before you land where you are sailing from. ;)

Put them on as soon as you get them from the baggage claim if you want, but,

never before you have them in your possession. ;)

I wouldn't put the tags on before. I think in your cruise docs it even suggests waiting to put them on. Like you mentioned, they can get ripped off and it could also cause confusion.

The airlines have enough problem getting your bags from point A to point B when they're using THEIR OWN tags!

Wait until you retrieve your luggage after the flight!

And, yes--in an unlocked outside pocket, put your itinerary, a cell-phone number, etc....in case they "misplace" one of your bags! And always keep your bags locked!!!!!!

I'll be the dissenter. If you are flying in day of cruise, put your cruise tags on your bags. This has been recommended to me by more than one airline agent. That way if your bag gets delayed/misplaced, they know where to forward your bag onto. If the tags get ripped off in transit, you can always get more at the pier.

Also, if you happen to be flying into Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise and plan on using US Direct, you absolutely must have your luggage tags on your bags before your flight so that you can take advantage of US Direct.

I don't care what the cruise documents say, never attach ship's luggage tags to your bags until you land at your destination airport, and claim your bags. (You will likely be met by ship's reps and he/she will assist you with any problems you might have, but you will definitely be claiming your luggage and have opportunity to put the cruise ship's tags on the bags.

At the same time REMOVE the airline tags from the flight you just got off of -- what you don't want is a bunch of excess tags hanging on your bags.

If want to avoid all of this hassle re checking bags and using tags, pack light and carry on your one bag -- I can easily do a one week cruise with a SMALL rollaboard bag -- and I am female! You do this cruising routine a few times and you figure out what you need and what you don't -- mostly you don't need all the junk people haul along.

Hi, I agree with every thing you all said, but in the cruise documents, pg. 5, it says to attach luggage tags enclosed before you leave home. madmarti:eek:

We usually fly in the day before so the evening before in the hotel room I am doing last minute rearranging (a must because there are things I can't have in my carryon on the plane but want in my carry on to the ship) And I take off the airline tags and put on the cruiseline ones. If taking a cab or shuttle to the port I definatley do this before we leave the hotel because many times they are transporting people to different cruiselines.

Heres a hint for new cruisers. You know how you should put something bright and recognizable on your bags when flying for the baggage area? Keep them on for the cruise. (or put them on for the cruise when driving) Then when yo get to your room and see your bags you don't have to dig around to check the tags - you can glance over- see they are yours and go back to enjoying your trip.( I unpack later)

Also when you disembark they put all the luggage in a big room seperated by your disembarking color but there are still hundreds in each section and they amazingly look the same . If you can identify them while in line you can grab them and continue on through customs without the delay of checking every "black " Suitcase.

Thanks for all of the opinions/information. I definitely will keep my suitcase locked (I don't trust it sitting around the pier on embarkation day), and I was just out buying some stuff and I got a neon luggage strap to help it stand out when we get off the ship.

As far as the cruise tags go, I'm once again on the fence! I think I will hold off, and ask the airline rep what they think before we check them in.

I would definitely not put the tags on until I landed. Too much possible confusion for the airlines.

Every time the airlines have lost my bags, I gave them the address of where they can deliver my bags. It stands to reason that if they can deliver them to a land address, they can deliver them to the proper ship. I actually had friends who had to have the airlines deliver their bags and they made it fine.

(GOD would I be stressed. Pack light and carry on!) :)

When I travel I always have my name tags on my handles and such on all of my luggage as we all do.

Each trip I also print up little note papers on my computer to include all my flight information, the days I will be at what hotel, its address, phone number and such. Also what ship and cruise line I am sailing and what days. And my cell phone number.

I place these in little plastic bags that I buy in WalMarts Bead department, or little snack bags and put them all over my suitcases, inside and out. (Don't put them in your suitcase unless they are in a plastic bag. If they were to get damp, the computer ink could ruin your clothes. ) ;)

They will also fold and fit behind your name tag in your outside luggage tags.

This way if something does go wrong, all your information for your trip is definitely there for someone to see.

I agree with most of this - we always have info easily accessible with details of our itinerary so that our bags will find us if they go astray, but the cruise specific labels go on as late as possible to minimise damage to them.

But I always UNLOCK cases as I check them in at the airport, then lock them when I pick them up from the carousel at the airport at the other end.

Airline security means that if they think they can see something dodgy in your luggage they will open it to check it out - especially in the US in our experience. More than once we've had a notice in our luggage explaining that they searched our case and apologising for any inconvenience. I think it was the Disney souvenirs that did it.

I lock the cases before putting them outside the cabin door on the way back, then unlock them again at the airport. Valuables always stay in my hand luggage.

I'll be the dissenter. If you are flying in day of cruise, put your cruise tags on your bags. This has been recommended to me by more than one airline agent. That way if your bag gets delayed/misplaced, they know where to forward your bag onto. .

There is absolutely no reason to put the tags on for this reason. Using this logic, you should have a tag with your motel info on your luggage for other non-cruise travel:rolleyes:

If your bags don't show up at the airport, you file a report and let them know where you'll be, so they'll know what cruise you're on.

If want to avoid all of this hassle re checking bags and using tags, pack light and carry on your one bag -- I can easily do a one week cruise with a SMALL rollaboard bag -- and I am female! You do this cruising routine a few times and you figure out what you need and what you don't -- mostly you don't need all the junk people haul along.

I've been amazed at how my DW has become more and more efficient at packing for cruises over the past four years. On our first cruise (5 days) she used two carryons and two large suitcases. On our recent 7day Voyager she only used one large suitcase and one carryon. I was very proud of her, as it saved $25.00 of checked bag fees from the airline.

This is an interesting topic. On the last cruise, we did not put them on until we landed at the hotel. Having said that, I think there is some validity to putting them on before the flight in case the luggage is lost. I have a brother-in-law who has had his luggage lost and went an entire cruise without the luggage. Something to consider.

When you arrive at your destination and your bags do not you have to file a report. They will want your "claim" tag and a description of the bag (basic type and color). They will also request where you will be and a contact number. Not sure how having the luggage tags already on the bag helps that process.

But definitely put in contact and itinerary information in the bag just in case. Actually on my last cruise I purchased third party trip insurance and thee company provided a pdf file that had a id number and a phone number for the insurance company, so they could assist in reuniting bag with traveller.

Having your cruise luggage tag on your bag before you fly can make a difference when the bag goes astray. When luggage arrives on a carousel, shoreside cruise employees can spot the tag and locate the guest...and in most cases reunite the bag with the ship before it sails. Without a tag, the airline will collect it and place it with other "lost luggage" sometimes locking it up out of sight. I would suggest placing only your name, cabin number and sailing date on luggage going to a ship, and from the ship, add your outbound flight information and destination.

David

Having your cruise luggage tag on your bag before you fly can make a difference when the bag goes astray. When luggage arrives on a carousel, shoreside cruise employees can spot the tag and locate the guest...and in most cases reunite the bag with the ship before it sails. Without a tag, the airline will collect it and place it with other "lost luggage" sometimes locking it up out of sight. I would suggest placing only your name, cabin number and sailing date on luggage going to a ship, and from the ship, add your outbound flight information and destination.

David

This service is very limited now, only certain airlines, certain ports, certain cruise lines. It's a service that you have to pay extra for now. Most of the time the only cruise employees at the airport are there to simply greet and direct people with cruise/air to buses. If you are on your own, no one will be at the airport to assist you from the cruise line.

We never put cruise tags on luggage before leaving. Actually it's a great way for bags to go missing, as it can confuse baggage handlers. Before leaving on any trip you should make sure no other tags, other than identification tags, are left on the luggage pieces. Check the bottoms to make sure there are no old bar coded tags on them.

I type up our itinerary, reduce it and place copies inside the luggage plus a folded copy tucked under our luggage tags.

......I lock the cases before putting them outside the cabin door on the way back, then unlock them again at the airport.

If you use US Direct from ship to the plane, do you have a chance to see your cases at the airport to unlock them prior to them being put on the plane? I suppose if you have TSA locks, airport security can always unlock if need to.

Bruce

If you use US Direct from ship to the plane, do you have a chance to see your cases at the airport to unlock them prior to them being put on the plane? I suppose if you have TSA locks, airport security can always unlock if need to.

Bruce

No, you won't have a chance to access your bags. And you can use TSA locks for the flights - not an issue at all.

If we are arriving night before a cruise, we put them on after we arrive at the Hotel. I have learned recently about the Itnerary, Cell Phone # and that is excellant advice. An example, upon disembarking a friend of ours picked up what they thought was their luggage, they had left in their car only to get a call, they were needed back at the Terminal ASAP. It appears they picked up a ladies Luggage and this dear lady lived abroad. Still not sure how they mistook the luggage, except perhaps same color.

Archived