Can someone walk me through the embarkation procedure and any tips?

ginjer2911

Hello,

Our first cruise coming up and I have lots of questions. Can someone please explain the embarkation procedures to me.

Also what luggage do I need to keep with me and what can be checked in. I had heard somewhere, I think, to keep the clothes you plan on wearing to dinner that night with you. Is there anywhere you can put your carry-on luggage while you are eating and exploring the ship or do you just drag it with you.

Thanks so much in advance. You guys have been such a great resource for this first-timer. :D

Check-in is almost painless. You drop your bags off with the steveadores outside when you arrive. These will be delivered to your cabin later in the afternoon. Yes, it's a good idea to have a change of clothes, valuables, and ALL MEDICATIONS with you at all times. Sometimes we've seen an area near the Lido pool to store your luggage until your cabin is ready, but mostly not. (If you're in a Deluxe Suite or Penthouse, the Neptune Lounge concierge will gladly keep it for you.) Otherwise, you'll just need to schlep it around with you.

Once you're inside, you'll present your boarding pass and ID, and that's it. You'll be called when it's time to board.

Enjoy your cruise. Just realize that now you'll be hooked on this excellent way to vacation! ;) So you may as well book a future cruise while you're onboard to take advantage of the reduced deposit and onboard credits given.

I had heard somewhere, I think, to keep the clothes you plan on wearing to dinner that night with you.
We never do, but we don't travel in extremely casual clothes. In the rare case where you do not get your bags in time to change for dinner, just tell the maitre d' and you will be allowed to eat in whatever you are wearing for that first night. If you would feel uncomfortable doing that, you can always go to the Lido or order room service.

Also, check to see if the main dining room is open for lunch when you board. When it is, we find that much easier than going to the very crowded Lido. The dining room (if open) will be no more than 1/3 full, and there will be plenty of places to put your carry-ons down near you.

Just to piggyback on jtl513's post (hi John!), the first night out, in my experience at least, has been a casual/smart casual night, so if you embark in (male terms) dockers and a polo shirt, that would be acceptable in the dining room the first night if for some reason your main luggage was not delivered before dinner. They don't expect tuxes and gowns that night :D.

Dave

To sum it up -

After flying in, if you do, you attach the ship's tags to your luggage. We usually attach one to the carryon, just in case. We also lock all the suitcases.

Leave the large bags (anything you don't want to schlep (I usually just bring medications, one shirt each to change into in case lunch is messy, and my pillow) with the stevedores at the pier (with small tip - we do at least $1 per bag, and they've always come through.)

You will already have filled out your immigration form (probably on line) and can print a boarding pass - you don't need to have it, but it's useful in case their computer isn't working properly.

You fill out a health form while you're there stating whether or not you are ill.

If you are at the pier early, you stand in a relatively short line, check in, get your cabin key card, and wait until it's time for boarding, usually in a seating area.

Board, eat, explore the ship, go to your cabin when it's ready - usually by 1:00pm. Don't forget muster (lifeboat) drill.

Have a great cruise!

Sometimes we've seen an area near the Lido pool to store your luggage until your cabin is ready, but mostly not.

My experience is the opposite---more often than not (by a goodly amount) there's a place to stash my carry-ons before the cabins are ready.

I always keep my carry-on with meds, make-up, and jewelry with me. Also the carry-on with my breathing machine. With me, that is, until I reach the carry-on storage area. I totally trust that it's safe there. There's at least one, usually two, stewards keeping track of the luggage; it's behind a barrier. A claim check is given.

I eat at main seating, and have never not had my luggage in plenty of time to unpack, clean up, and go to cocktails before dinner.

I like to get on the ship as earily as I can. Try for 11:30. You will be able to have lunch and then your cabin might be ready.

The pool will also be open.

Be careful if you are getting to the ship in the late afternoon. Last boarding time can be an hour or two before saling time.

I like to get on the ship as earily as I can. Try for 11:30. You will be able to have lunch and then your cabin might be ready.

The pool will also be open.

Be careful if you are getting to the ship in the late afternoon. Last boarding time can be an hour or two before saling time.

Sometimes the pool isn't open, but dry and covered with a net.:(

US CBP says you must be on-board 90 minutes before sailing from a US port, but the time is often less at foreign ports.

OK, I have bad arthritis and have lots of trouble with stairs. Is there a ramp to the gangway, or do you have to climb steps?
Yes, there will be a ramp, and an elevator to get you up to it. HAL has many, many passengers who have trouble walking, and they will assist you if you ask.

Also, what deck do you enter the ship on?

It will vary with the port and the tide. For the Zuiderdam at Vancouver it will most likely be the Lower Promenade, but it could be the Promenade. At Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan it will be on a lower deck, most likely the Main.

OK, I have bad arthritis and have lots of trouble with stairs. Is there a ramp to the gangway, or do you have to climb steps?

You are singing my song! :( I highly recommend getting wheelchair help for boarding, and disembarking. The walk on/off the ship can be quite long, and uphill.

No sense knocking yourself out before the cruise even begins.

Tuck a little money somewhere handy, have a steward wheel you to the elevators, then thank him profu$ely.

My experience is the opposite---more often than not (by a goodly amount) there's a place to stash my carry-ons before the cabins are ready.

I always keep my carry-on with meds, make-up, and jewelry with me. Also the carry-on with my breathing machine. With me, that is, until I reach the carry-on storage area. I totally trust that it's safe there. There's at least one, usually two, stewards keeping track of the luggage; it's behind a barrier. A claim check is given.

I eat at main seating, and have never not had my luggage in plenty of time to unpack, clean up, and go to cocktails before dinner.

Ruth I have a question for you, I also have a breathing machine and until I saw your post never thought of it, is there an easy access plug in the rooms near to the bed to use it? Also, I want to be able to charge my camera batteries, Ipod and the small Nintendo DS .. should we be taking a power bar with us or something?

Thanks!

Another option is to arrive at the port about 1:00-1:30, drop things off in your cabin, have lunch, and explore the ship before sail way. Dropping bags at the pier with your luggage tags on is so easy because the guys working there are pros!! Getting through the "check-in" process is fast and painless and there are plenty of cruise line personnel around to help answer questions. It seems like everyone is especially kind to first-time cruisers and happy to help. Arriving early afternoon to the port is our personal preference because we can enjoy a leisurely morning and then go directly to our cabin, with plenty of time left over for lunch and exploration. Have a great time. Cherie

Ruth I have a question for you, I also have a breathing machine and until I saw your post never thought of it, is there an easy access plug in the rooms near to the bed to use it? Also, I want to be able to charge my camera batteries, Ipod and the small Nintendo DS .. should we be taking a power bar with us or something?

Depends on the ship, and the cabin class.

The inside and outside cabins on the S- and R-class ships have an outlet conveniently located at the desk. By that I mean that you don't need to cross a walking path with the cord. The veranda cabins on those ships are more problematic in that the desk is across the room from the bed. I don't know how it's set up for the suites.

I have my steward tape (masking tape is fine) the cord to the wall so I don't trip (inside cabin). If I were in a veranda, I would have him tape the cord to the floor. The alternative is a lot of extension cord taped along walls, and over the balcony door, to get there.

The E-dam and Vista ships are different, in that the outlet is across from the beds (at least in the cabins I've inhabited). Again, masking tape to the rescue!

At the very least you will need one extension cord, and the power strip. On the E-dam and Vistas I have needed a longer extension than I carry. The steward got a very long, heavy-duty cord for me.

Did any of that make sense? If I knew what ship, and what cabin classification you are in, I could be more exact.

We had a veranda suite to Alaska on the Volendam. DH and I BOTH had CPAP machines. We brought an extension cord and power strip with us but needed a longer heavy duty cord from the steward. Here's how WE managed - plugged both machines under the bed into the power strip (mine was plugged into OUR extension cord and then into the power strip because I was farther away). Then the power strip was plugged into the HD cord which was run along the front side of the couch and around the table leg over to the desk area and plugged in. We plugged phone charger and video camera charger into the power strip under the bed also overnight. In the morning we unplugged the camera and phone chargers and unplugged the HD extenion cord and tucked it under the bed so our steward could make up the bed without tripping. Then at night before going to bed we did it all over again. Worked for us:D.

Thanks so much for all the info and all the replies. Dh and I aren't on any medications so maybe we will try and get by with just my camera bag. I'm pretty sure that we can get our passports and essentials in it. Im sure that all we will be doing is checking out the ship once we get on board.

We had a veranda suite to Alaska on the Volendam. DH and I BOTH had CPAP machines. We brought an extension cord and power strip with us but needed a longer heavy duty cord from the steward. Here's how WE managed - plugged both machines under the bed into the power strip (mine was plugged into OUR extension cord and then into the power strip because I was farther away). Then the power strip was plugged into the HD cord which was run along the front side of the couch and around the table leg over to the desk area and plugged in. We plugged phone charger and video camera charger into the power strip under the bed also overnight. In the morning we unplugged the camera and phone chargers and unplugged the HD extenion cord and tucked it under the bed so our steward could make up the bed without tripping. Then at night before going to bed we did it all over again. Worked for us:D.
Thanks so much Countrygal52, I can tell this is going to be interesting, I will get hubby to make sure we take the power bar and extension cords with us! I need to write all this down lol.:D

Another option is to arrive at the port about 1:00-1:30, drop things off in your cabin, have lunch, and explore the ship before sail way.
We've been on a couple of cruises where the cabins weren't availiable until around 2:00p.

Check-in is almost painless. You drop your bags off with the steveadores outside when you arrive. These will be delivered to your cabin later in the afternoon. Yes, it's a good idea to have a change of clothes, valuables, and ALL MEDICATIONS with you at all times. Sometimes we've seen an area near the Lido pool to store your luggage until your cabin is ready, but mostly not. (If you're in a Deluxe Suite or Penthouse, the Neptune Lounge concierge will gladly keep it for you.) Otherwise, you'll just need to schlep it around with you.

Once you're inside, you'll present your boarding pass and ID, and that's it. You'll be called when it's time to board.

Enjoy your cruise. Just realize that now you'll be hooked on this excellent way to vacation! ;) So you may as well book a future cruise while you're onboard to take advantage of the reduced deposit and onboard credits given.

And do not forget to "tip" the porter when you drop off your luggage with him! (You do wish to see your luggage again onboard, don't you?)

Archived