African American Hair

vrog33

I recently shaved my head, but...when I had hair...it was natural and just past my shoulders. I wore it in individual twists, and that worked well for traveling, including lots of swimming. I could wear it up or in a ponytail, as well as down. The twists keep it neat and you don't have to brush and comb it everyday. About halfway through the cruise I would comb out and re-twist around the edges and along the part, to keep it neat.

Now that I have almost no hair, I've been wearing synthetic wigs. I have 4 of them, in different styles and colors. I can change my hair as often as I change my mind. It makes getting ready in the morning a lot quicker. I'm going to let my hair grow out a little more and then color it to get rid of the grays. Wigs are too hot to wear outside in the summer, in my opinion. Luckily, I'm cruising to Alaska this year. :)

. I have been experimenting with Miss Jessies. I absolutely love the Rapid Recovery Treatment. I was ok with the Curly Meringue and the Curly Pudding. I'm going to reorder herstuff, perhaps the Value Pack and try it again. Her products are just so expensive. If I need to slick my hair back, I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel that you can easily find at Walmart.

Love the Rapid Recovery treatment. Just a note around xmas every year they have a Buy one get one free sale on all of the products and that is when I stock up on it.

I also like Carols daughter Hair Milk and Tui oil. Jane Carter Nourish and Shine is also good and smells like lemons.

Great thread. I am 100% natural and honestly, besides braids, I have no other suggestion. I wash my hair everyday on a cruise and simply sport a wash n go, but I may be able to offer a product listing. I love Curls. I currently use the Curls Gel-Les'c, Whipped Cream. I also use my one and only conditioner, Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner from Curlmart. I tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) but I prefer the Curls Gel-Les'c over that one, but it is so high. I shampoo my hair with Dr. Bronners. I have been experimenting with Miss Jessies. I absolutely love the Rapid Recovery Treatment. I was ok with the Curly Meringue and the Curly Pudding. I'm going to reorder herstuff, perhaps the Value Pack and try it again. Her products are just so expensive. If I need to slick my hair back, I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel that you can easily find at Walmart.

Tell me about this Curly Pudding...I have relaxed hair...would this work for it?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with washing everyday and wearing your hair natural. I love the water and I found the braids to be uncomfortable and defiantely prefer wash and go. I use a little mousse after washing and conditioning. My hair is curly and the mousse helps to hold the curls without becoming to frizzy.

I agree with washing everyday and wearing your hair natural. I love the water and I found the braids to be uncomfortable and defiantely prefer wash and go. I use a little mousse after washing and conditioning. My hair is curly and the mousse helps to hold the curls without becoming to frizzy.

I use conditioner daily and I usually use shampoo maybe once per week. My hair is pretty curly also. Would you mind sharing what kind of mouse you use? I tried a couple and they tend to make my hair dry.

My hair is a good length of to my shoulders, a little bit past. I havent had a relaxer for over a year and even if I got one when it gets wet I would have to wash it every day and blow dry and curl it and I dont know if using heat every day would be good.

I was debating getting braids or tracks, but I was not sure how tracks would last and look getting wet almost everyday.

thanks.

Whatever you do...DON'T GET TRACKS! Been there, done that...I have a different texture hair bc I'm asian, but still...if you're getting your hair wet, the wet will pull and the braid that the hair's attached to will become looser and looser and the hair will get more matted each day...unless you're talking about a different type of track that I'm not used to.

I also have natural hair - I gave up on relaxers 12 years ago when one badly damaged my hair to the point where I lost 50% of my hair - I shed constantly and my scalp was rip roaring sore for months afterwards.

Anyway - fully recovered now but I would never put any chemicals in my hair again.

I use Mixed Chicks (dont be fooled by the name) Its perfect for natural hair for women of colour - just use the leave in conditioner on wet hair and leave it to dry naturally. I use it every day sometimes twice a day - will not make your hair frizzy, it defines natural curls. There is loads of info on the web about Mixed Chicks. There are a few famous sisters who also use Mixed Chicks products.

I also agree Braids could be useful but they can get a bit messy if you are in and out of water all the time.

I feel like I have hit the lotto. I am going on a cruise with my husband and son in 3 weeks and this subject has been bothering me more than what to pack. My hair is relaxed and the length is in the middle of my back. The problem is it is THICK, THICK, THICK. Did I say thick? It takes me 30-40 minutes to blow dry and I really don't want to spend my time doing my hair on my vacation. I have NEVER had braids or a weave. But was thinking about the cornrows I guess like Tyra had on one of her shows. You can have a side part. But since I never had braids, I don't know how it would look. I don't swim because I wear contacts but plan on being in the water just sitting So I was going to put it up. Any sugesstions. We need our own website.

I use John Freida collection, Frizz-Ease, Curl-Boosting Mousse. There is also shampoo and conditioner for curly hair by John Freida and hair serum to prevent fly aways and frizz. I use these products regularly in the summer months when I wash and go.

I use John Freida collection, Frizz-Ease, Curl-Boosting Mousse. There is also shampoo and conditioner for curly hair by John Freida and hair serum to prevent fly aways and frizz. I use these products regularly in the summer months when I wash and go.

Thank you so much. I'll give this a try. :)

Hi, I too am a Black American female. I have always worn my hair out on the cruises. I am debating getting braids for this upcoming trip, but don't have the patience to sit for 2 hours and get my hair done. My hair is shoulder length. I would get braids if you don't want the fuss. I like to have a different hair style every day, so the braids may not work for me.

I actually had a fantastic experience at the salon on board the NCL Spirit, I had a caucasian woman wash and dry my hair and I looked fabulous afterwards. She dried my hair so quickly, I had no clue who I was. I received numerous complements, considering what my hair looked like before I came in (an excursion on an atv+wind+dirt)). You can make an appt at the salon afterwards for a wash and dry. Good luck.

Whatever you do, be sure to wash the chlorine and/or salt water out of your hair and use a conditioner. Depending on how much time I have, I usually blow dry my hair leaving a little damp, then wrap it using wrapping foam. Then if it's a casual evening, I comb it out - my hair is relaxed and shoulder length. For a dressier look, I leave it wrapped and wear a wig using a wig liner. That way my hair stays in place and is protected from the wig's netting. I haven't yet tried a ship's salon.

I too have naturally curly hair. I wash it with WEN products and let it dry naturally. It looks great right out of the shower with the damp ringlet curls but yesterday after it totally dried I was in the humidity and it just frizzed up! I am worried that it may do this on my cruise to Alaska. Any suggestions on what else I can put on it to keep the frizzes away. I leave in a few weeks so I may not be able to order something online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dianne

I am african American and i just get a virgin perm and bring hairpieces

With a virgin perm your hair will dry straight with a little body.

I love the water and I am in the water everyday all day

so I have to wash my hair everyday

I use Pantene wah and conditioner

Hope this helps

I forgot to say in my previous thread that you must use oil on your hair because the salt in the ocean will dry your hair. I put a small amount of hair oil (grease) in a little plastic bag or use a left over make up case to keep if form getting on your packed items.

I have naturally curly hair but I get a virgin perm so I can wash and wear my hair without a lot of fuss. On picture night I blow dry and style but the other days it is just wash and wear usually in a ponytail or straight.

If you are going to Jamicia forgrt about a hair style it is so hot, the heat knocks out all curl.

Braids I wore braids but the fine sand got in the braids and I thought I was going to lose my mind. My scalp itched so much that I took the braids down on the way to the airport.

I forgot to say in my previous thread that you must use oil on your hair because the salt in the ocean will dry your hair. I put a small amount of hair oil (grease) in a little plastic bag or use a left over make up case to keep if form getting on your packed items.

I have naturally curly hair but I get a virgin perm so I can wash and wear my hair without a lot of fuss. On picture night I blow dry and style but the other days it is just wash and wear usually in a ponytail or straight.

If you are going to Jamicia forgrt about a hair style it is so hot, the heat knocks out all curl.

Braids I wore braids but the fine sand got in the braids and I thought I was going to lose my mind. My scalp itched so much that I took the braids down on the way to the airport.

I forgot about the oil, too. I use Luster's Pink Oil Hair Lotion when I blow dry my hair and I use it between washings to keep my hair from getting dry.

I'm not African American, but I have very thick, curly hair that I wear natural. If you are going natural, I would recommend making a spray bottle of conditioner (I use a dry/damaged hair conditioner for this) mixed with water. Whenever you get out of the salt water, spray your hair with this mixture. It will take the "edge off" of the havoc and dryness the saltwater creates and make the eventual wash out so much easier on your hair and scalp.

I use John Freida collection, Frizz-Ease, Curl-Boosting Mousse.

I tried this product for my wash and go this morning and my hair looks & feels great. Thanks a bunch!:)

If you are going natural, I would recommend making a spray bottle of conditioner (I use a dry/damaged hair conditioner for this) mixed with water.

Excellent advice. I lightly spray my hair periodically throughout the day with this mixture even when I'm not on vacation.:)

• 1 year later...

I am so happy if typed this in the Search box. I have been back and forth trying to think of what style I should wear my hair. I think I will do a wet and wavy weave. I have never had a weave since I have so much hair. But after reading these reviews I think I will go with the weave and just call it a day. My hair is so thick and curly. I go to the dominican salons sometimes for a blowout but it will only last for a couple of days. I would love to just keep my regular hair out but I just do not feel like spending 3 hours everyday messing with my hair.

I am so happy if typed this in the Search box. I have been back and forth trying to think of what style I should wear my hair. I think I will do a wet and wavy weave. I have never had a weave since I have so much hair. But after reading these reviews I think I will go with the weave and just call it a day. My hair is so thick and curly. I go to the dominican salons sometimes for a blowout but it will only last for a couple of days. I would love to just keep my regular hair out but I just do not feel like spending 3 hours everyday messing with my hair.

Good call. I have a lot of hair as well, but I sport a weave. I find them to be very low maintanance.

Good call. I have a lot of hair as well, but I sport a weave. I find them to be very low maintanance.

lawskool10: Do you use the wet and wavy hair? I am wondering how this would work on my trip. I wanna be able to wash and put some foam in it and go. I might get a full sewn in but one of my friends said I should leave some hair out at the top to make it look more natural. I don't know about that. I just want that option after I wash it to either let it dry and curl up or let it dry and flat iron it straight.:confused::confused::confused:

I've been thinking about this too. I love to swim in the ocean, and snorkle. Last year I took a couple half-wigs and ponytails and used those. Ponytails during the day, half-wigs or full wigs at night. It worked well for me. I like the diversity of styles I can try while using different wigs and hairpieces throughout the week, plus I like being able to really be sure the sand and chlorine are out of my own hair at the end of each day. I wear ponytails during the year, and the ones that have been used for quite some time become my "swimming" hairpieces for our vacation.