African American Hair

vrog33

I am an African American women with hair that reaches just above the end of my shoulder blades. It can be a hassle to deal with during the cruise.

On my 1st cruise I had my beautician put "flat twists" in my hair which lasted until I hit the 2nd port of call. I went to the beach and the water loosened the gel in my hair. I went back to the cabin, washed my hair, blow dried my hair and then flat ironed it.

On my 2nd cruise I decided to get a relaxer and just get a wrap. I knew that I would be getting in water and it wouldn't make any sense to have her go through the hassle of styling my hair. During the remainder of the cruise, I just used mousse to braid my hair and then leave it crinkled. I even flat ironed my hair when necessary.

I'm hoping to find an option that allows me to spend less time in the mirror and more time on the deck partying.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update; I've started using Moroccan Argan oil on my hair, and it's much healthier than it's been in a long time. My hair is straighter and more smooth after blow drying, which is great since I like to swim when cruising. I started by using this one because the sample size was with a flat iron my sister in law got me as a gift. I think I'll use the 100% oil in another brand next, but I think I'll be happy with either one! :)

I'm glad I ran across this thread. There are a ton of great ideas. I've been natural for about 10 years and have bra-strap length thick hair with well-defined curls. I haven't really decided what I am going to do with mine. I haven't hot-straightened it in almost two years now. I generally follow the "naturally curly" regimen of co-poo (with a cheap Biolage knock-off I get from BJs) and using Oyin Handmade products to condition, moisturize and style.. With all the chlorine and salt water, however, I am going to actually be shampooing my hair.

I have some Johnson's and Johnson's baby shampoo, which I am hoping won't dry my hair too bad, (although, Aubery Organic Swimmer's shampoo looks interesting). I finally found some suitable bottles for my conditioner and "hair dew". I expect I will probably be doing the wash-and-go with headbands most of the trip, and then twisting it into a curly up-do for cruise elegant evenings and the MDR.

You do not understand how happy I am that I found this thread!!!! I will be going on my first cruise for my birthday in May and I usually do a sew-in but I was trying to save money and I really didn't want to deal with a weave for 2 months but I am not sure yet. I have relaxed hair that is just above the shoulders, I would really like to recreate the wavy look with my hair. To you cruise vets that have tried different styles , which one did you prefer? I was thinking about buying ponytails but I still keep going back and forth about getting a sew-in (I guees that's Gemini in me :))

I'm thinking about the sew in with wet and wavy hair. I will have flat twist in the front of my hair. if I swim, then gently wash my hair, what options do I have to dry my own hair under the weave? I know it's important to make sure my hair is not wet under the weave.

be careful with that...wouldn't want it to slip off in the water :eek:

You can sew them on or sew in a bunch of wig clips, or sew in an elastic band if you are new to adhesives. Or get help from someone who knows adhesives. Youtube has tutorials on all of this.

I'm aware, I do hair part-time.

If you sew them in, it's no longer considered a wig , so I was just referring to the fact that she wanted to wear a wig.

But also the wig clips and elastic bands aren't ideal either because they can easily slip off! :eek: the only thing that might suffice is a draw string but even that holds a huge possibility of loosening!

So, there's nothing in the world that's going to keep me out of the water during my week on the high seas.

I am thinking I may do a deep conditioning treatment before and after the cruise to try to keep my hair healthy. Any suggestions?

I will not wear the lace front while in the water. I will swim without the wig, then wash and condition and blow dry my own hair , then put on a wig cap then back to the FUN!

So will only need to spend time washing my own hair at end of swim time before dinner etc.

Edited by july2012

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm leaving on a cruise in a few weeks and I am a natural newbie. I have a TWA but I'm not sure if I want to rock that on the cruise. I think it'll be easy to maintain but honestly, I want something different.

So I'm contemplating braids but I really wish I could just do a twist out on my TWA. Anyone have pics on styled TWAs? Mine is like 2-3 inches.

Thanks!

Hey Ladies! well I just got my hair braided into box braids with the ends curled. I love the style but was wondering what I should put in my hair after snorkeling, swimming Ect. I plan on washing and conditioning when I get back on the ship but what about when I get out of the water? should I spray on a conditioner after rinsing? any tips or product suggestions would be appreciated!! TIA

I decided to go with braids.

Boxermom- I've always put conditioner on before getting in the water and then washed with a clarifiying shampoo later that day. Creme of Nature has a nice clarifying shampoo to remove chlorine.

I will not wear the lace front while in the water. I will swim without the wig, then wash and condition and blow dry my own hair , then put on a wig cap then back to the FUN!

So will only need to spend time washing my own hair at end of swim time before dinner etc.

Are you bringing your own hair dryer on board? Or does the cruise line provide one? For some reason, I thought they weren't allowed to be brought on. I think I'm thinking of irons.:confused:

I decided to go with braids.

Boxermom- I've always put conditioner on before getting in the water and then washed with a clarifiying shampoo later that day. Creme of Nature has a nice clarifying shampoo to remove chlorine.

Thanks I will look for that before my cruise! what kind of conditioner do you use before? dont want a grease streak behind me:eek:lol

I do love small (not micro) braids. So, for my first 8 or so cruises, I went with braids...they were GREAT...then about three years ago, one of my braids broke off at the root on the right side near the temple of my forehead..OMG :eek: I thought I was going to die and I did not know what to do, so I treated them gently and kept them in place with a head band after that. They were just simply braided too tight. I took them out as soon as I got home from vacation. The damage has taken years to repair...I think I'm still recovering!

As a result, I will not get braids again due to the damage. My hair is already long enough..below my shoulder length. The braids were just for convenience. Now I just cruise and do my hair like I would at home. I perm my hair two or three times a year and I use Kemi oil. I do a deep conditioner when I wash. On my last cruise i put my hair in a thick braided bun to swim and snorkle and I wore it in a ponytail a lot...I know, sounds boring, but we are an active family and it worked.

No blow dryers, no flat irons. A few fancy bobby pens or clips go a long way to dressing up a simple style...especially for evenings. I've seen ladies using pretty flowers to dress up their natural styles too and I think that is adorable!!!

I agree. Although braids are convienent they are very damaging to your hair..especially micros. I wore them for 2 years while I was converting to natural. They helped my hair with the length but it had thinned....especially around my airline. Last year was the first year I cruises with natural hair and loved it. I wear a 2 strand twist. I cruise again in less than 2 months. Hair is so much longer and thicker than it was last year. Doing the 2 strand twist again. Yes...natural is the way to go!:thumbup:

Karen

Now I'm back to thinking about a sew in, with the 2strand twist looking weave, and the top part of my own hair 2strand twisted down. To swim I will then need to put all the weave up into a high pony tail. Keep head out of the water and just "play" in the water.

After more thought, and since I have agreed to "keep my eye" on a child who is going that can not swim but loves being in the water, I may not be swimming as much as I thought. No big deal to me, I'd rather the child be allowed to at least get in the ocean (was not allowed to the last time)

Then thought about the pools on board, not really enough room to swim, just more to relax in, so really would not be swimming.

BUT I will be swimming at my local Y, starting in May, love to swim in the outdoor pool'

Also planning to sign up for water areobics soon.

Stay tuned...hair choice for cruise may change again,,LOL