African American Hair

vrog33

lawskool10: Do you use the wet and wavy hair? I am wondering how this would work on my trip. I wanna be able to wash and put some foam in it and go. I might get a full sewn in but one of my friends said I should leave some hair out at the top to make it look more natural. I don't know about that. I just want that option after I wash it to either let it dry and curl up or let it dry and flat iron it straight.:confused::confused::confused:

Right now, mine are bonded. I do not use the wet and wavy, as I like to wear my hair straight most of the time. I've been using the Remi hair. It's a bit more expensive, but it lasts a long time. If you get yours sewn in, it should last even longer than mine. I agree with your friend. I have my hair out at the top and it looks alot more natural, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Love this thread! I relax my hair and unfortunately abused it terribly w/ a blow drying and flat iron on my last cruise. I was trying to figure out how to care for it and am glad I found this site. Thanks for all the great advice!

• 6 months later...

Love this thread so much I thought it would be cool to bump it. I started thinking about what to do while cruising this year. Was considering a weave, but I've decided to go with hair pieces again.

I have to say that I ordered this product a while ago and it's been really helpful for me when blow drying my hair every day when on my cruise. This and the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Paks (I take 3 of them with me on my cruise) have been my best friends.

https://www.theformula-heatstyler.com/home.asp

I love Moroccan Oil products, I have naturally curly hair the texture of Tia and Tamara Mowry and even though I relax it I still have to flat iron it almost daily. I have found that Moroccan Oil products cut my blow dry and flat iron time in half. I also like to use it when I'm just throwing my hair back in a ponytail after washing and not straightening it it at all. It's made with an all natural essential oil so your hair is shiny without being greasy. Their products are good for all hair types too, I have found just as many of my white friends use it as I do. In fact, I have a friend who is a manager of a multi ethnic hair salon and it is their product of choice. And I love Carol's Daughter Hair Milk when I decide to rock my natural curls in the summer when the humidity is espeically high.

Love this thread so much I thought it would be cool to bump it. I started thinking about what to do while cruising this year. Was considering a weave, but I've decided to go with hair pieces again.

I have to say that I ordered this product a while ago and it's been really helpful for me when blow drying my hair every day when on my cruise. This and the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Paks (I take 3 of them with me on my cruise) have been my best friends.

https://www.theformula-heatstyler.com/home.asp

Aren't those Replenishing Paks GREAT??? I just started using them about a year ago...LOVE them.

Aren't those Replenishing Paks GREAT??? I just started using them about a year ago...LOVE them.

My goodness they are! I don't know what I did before I found them, lol. I'm happy they're in packet form. Easy to take with me while traveling.

I am glad this thread was brought back to life. I too am African American. I usually do not get into the water so I do not have too many problems with my hair. I wear my hair cut very short after years of dealing with the same problems mentioned. I would agree that Carol's Daughter products are great. My DD uses those products with the gds.

This thread will be very helpful to new AA cruisers and new CC posters.

Faith, can you give me the locaton of John's Limos mentioned in your blog?

Carol

I am glad this thread was brought back to life. I too am African American. I usually do not get into the water so I do not have too many problems with my hair. I wear my hair cut very short after years of dealing with the same problems mentioned. I would agree that Carol's Daughter products are great. My DD uses those products with the gds.

This thread will be very helpful to new AA cruisers and new CC posters.

Faith, can you give me the locaton of John's Limos mentioned in your blog?

Carol

I am so glad I came across this post - I was going out of my mind trying to figure out what I was going to do with my permed hair for my honeymoon cruise! Thanks for all the great tips!

I am so glad I came across this post - I was going out of my mind trying to figure out what I was going to do with my permed hair for my honeymoon cruise! Thanks for all the great tips!

I'm so happy to hear this thread is helpful. Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon!!

• Wet and Wavy weave, use mousee on the hair, and gel on your side burns
  • kinky twists
  • thin corn rows that go into a pony tail or bun
  • keep it all natural- use Miss Jessie or Olive Oil brand Curly Pudding, you can just wash and go with/without headband or pony tail, and put it in a huge bun for formal night- This is what I do! Wash and go on the weekend, bun at the office- WORKS FOR ME!! You can also buy a fake bun, and put your natural hair in a braid under the bun if your hair shrinks up too short to make a large bun (larger high buns look more formal)

Good luck!!!! :)

Braids are always my vacation hair style of choice...

They're the best for get-up-and-go... I find everything else takes maintenance,

and that's def not what I want to be doing on vacay.

Edited by Shomari

• 2 months later...
I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

Any other advice and hairstyles plz?

I have relaxed hair that brushes the tops of my shoulders. I realize this may not help you, but I read this post and really wanted to try and help a sister out! And I've been an avid swimmer/water sport lover my whole life so when I went on my 1st cruise earlier this year this is what I did:

First and foremost, I was constantly spraying "Fantasia ic Hair Polisher Mist" on my hair all day, everyday because it has Aloe and Vitamin E in it AND IS ALCOHOL FREE so it helped to keep my hair from being ravaged by the strong sun down there. I went through a whole bottle in 3 days haha!

After each dip in the pool, hot tub or ocean I washed and conditioned my hair and blotted it dry. Then I sprayed it lightly but evenly with "S Curl 'No Drip' Activator and Moisturizer" and scrunched it with my fingers, put a headband on and was out the door. That allowed my hair to dry WITHOUT heat and it had a kind of curly, wild, laid-back look.

One day I really didn't want to walk around with a wet head so I used my my diffuser attachment and just used the diffuser briefly to get it to dry and curl a bit quicker. Again, I put on a headband and was out the door.

On the last night we decided to dress up, so I washed and conditioned it and then did my normal blow drying regiment(meaning I had packed my products that I normally use) and flat ironed it.

I packed a bunch of hair ties but never used them because I just didn't care about putting it up and looking neat. And guess what--nobody else cares either! :) Gotta love the cruising mentality....

Happy Planning and bon voyage!!!

• 5 months later...
I'd also like to say thank you for starting this thread...it is very helpful. I've been wondering the same thing (relaxed, medium length hair). Now, I'm thinking wig, drawing ponytails and as a stretch, maybe even senagalese (sp) twists.

Thanks!

Yes, I love this thread! When cruising, I found what works well for me. I bring a couple drawstring ponytails for beach time, and at night I choose from wigs and half-wigs after deep-conditioning my hair. I love swimming and snorkeling so having the different styles on hand makes for easy maintenance.

I have my DD's hair braided in Mexico with beads. I was surprised to find that the mexican braiders don't blink an eye when it comes to dealing with long thick 4b,4c hair. They will even do extensions and their prices are much cheaper than African braiders in the states.

I'm thinking of getting mine done this time since Cozumel is our first port. If I do, I will probably come with it pressed instead of natural just to make it faster and bring my own extensions, since I'll probably be out on the beach and I don't expect the wandering beach braiders to carry extensions with them.

For evenings, I'll probably rock a synthetic lace front.

But these pics make me want to skip the braids and get a weave..

bey

http://coolspotters.com/musicians/beyonce-knowles/and/water-vehicles/yamaha-waverunner-gp1300r#medium-32418

rhi rhi

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/rihanna-steps-out-in-stri_n_919236.htmlv

Yes, I love this thread! When cruising, I found what works well for me. I bring a couple drawstring ponytails for beach time, and at night I choose from wigs and half-wigs after deep-conditioning my hair. I love swimming and snorkeling so having the different styles on hand makes for easy maintenance.

Fifty questions! Ok, just a few. :)

Do you swim with the drawstring ponytail or do you just throw it on when you're done? I would think that it would come off while swimming, but still thought I'd ask. Also, I've never wore a lace front wig before...should I watch youtube video first (seriously!)? Would I need glue? :confused:

I'm also thinking about the natural look, even though my hair is relaxed, it dries fairly curly. Does the same products for virgin, natural hair work for relaxed as well? I would probably want to wear it a day or two like that also, with a head band or a scarf.

Thanks!

Fifty questions! Ok, just a few. :)

Do you swim with the drawstring ponytail or do you just throw it on when you're done? I would think that it would come off while swimming, but still thought I'd ask. Also, I've never wore a lace front wig before...should I watch youtube video first (seriously!)? Would I need glue? :confused:

Thanks!

Haha, no problem! I do swim with the drawstring ponytail. Honestly, I think my head looks funny without a long ponytail or bun if I wear it up. Just one of my quirks, lol.

I make sure my hair is pulled back really tightly, and secure the ponytail. I like to use the ones with combs and the drawstring, for a little more security. Then I use several bobby pins to anchor it more. When I swim, I might roll it up into a bun on the top of my head so it doesn't get all tangled while swimming (and so it's out of the way for my snorkle mask if I'm snorkeling). Sounds like a lot, but it's like second nature to me now. I've been using the ponytails for swimming for about 5 years now, and haven't had one fall off yet (fingers crossed, lol)

Not sure about the lace front wigs. I think you need glue, or it has to be sewn in. I bought a lace front and haven't tried it yet, I was so intimidated by the instructions! I guess I'll have to go to a stylist and see how it's done. I'm not sure about the products for natural hair either. Can anyone out there give us some advice? :confused::)

Also, I've never wore a lace front wig before...should I watch youtube video first (seriously!)? Would I need glue? :confused:

Does the same products for virgin, natural hair work for relaxed as well? I would probably want to wear it a day or two like that also, with a head band or a scarf.

Thanks!

Not sure about the lace front wigs. I think you need glue, or it has to be sewn in. I bought a lace front and haven't tried it yet, I was so intimidated by the instructions! I guess I'll have to go to a stylist and see how it's done. I'm not sure about the products for natural hair either. Can anyone out there give us some advice? :confused::)

Nice to see this thread come alive again.:) One of the best products I've tried for natural hair is the Shea Moisture line. I use the Curl Enhancing Smoothie as a leave in and it works great. They have kits available for transitioning that works well if you want to flat iron (or press) your hair. I haven't used that product because 99% of the time I just wear my hair natural. I have friends who tried the transitioning kit.

As for lace front wigs, I bought my first one a couple of months ago and I doubt if I'll ever by the regular wigs again. I love how it looks like my actual hair line. I don't use glue nor do I have mine sewn in because I take it off as soon as I get home. For those who prefer the lace front wig instead of weave, I believe they use glue to keep it secure.

For beach days I usually wear my hair pulled back into an afro puff. That's the easist thing for me. I condition it really well afterwards, add my curl enhancing smoothie, put one of my many headbands and let it air dry.

Edited by letscruisegd

. Also, I've never wore a lace front wig before...should I watch youtube video first (seriously!)? Would I need glue? :confused:

Some need glue and some don't. The cheaper ones that you get from beauty supply stores do not need glue for wearing around everyday. I'm not sure about wearing them for water activities. I think you would at least need some bobby pins to wear them for water activities.

Definately watch youtube if you are considering lace fronts. Muffinsismylovers is the Youtube queen of lace fronts. Google her.

Here are some youtubes of ladies swimming in lacefronts, but I'm certain they are using glue.

I just stumbled on this thread and read through most of it. I thought I would add my own two scents :)

I am bi-racial and been an avid competitive swimmer all of my life. Because of this I most often wore my hair natural until recently when I began getting it regularly relaxed. Even now, I rarely blow it out/straighten it as I routinely swim.

The chlorine is hard on my hair so I use a line of olive oil hair product. It is pretty heavy and helps repair my hair. I wash and condition after swimming and it helps keep my hair from tangling even after being mixed with chlorine/sea water. After I use a style product that helps control frizziness and repairs any split ends. The weight of the product helps keep my hair nicely shaped and allows for fairly easy styling (my hair is about 5 inches past my shoulders).

For the most part I swim with my hair out of an elastic band so it doesn't tangle around it and pull out my hair. Most nights I will put my hair up or braid it as the wind/humidity is not terribly conducive to excessive styling. However on more formal nights if I want to feel more "dolled up" I put my hair in a low bun by securing it with a tight elastic band, wrapping it around and holding the bun in place with bobby pins.

For easy curling I purchased curling wand (it lacks a clamp unlike traditional curling irons; simply wrap a 1 inch strand of hair around the base and leave for several seconds). I like to use a light mouse when I style this way so it doesn't weigh down my curls :)

Edited by iCruise717

• 3 weeks later...
. Also, I've never wore a lace front wig before...should I watch youtube video first (seriously!)? Would I need glue? :confused:

Some need glue and some don't. The cheaper ones that you get from beauty supply stores do not need glue for wearing around everyday. I'm not sure about wearing them for water activities. I think you would at least need some bobby pins to wear them for water activities.

Definately watch youtube if you are considering lace fronts. Muffinsismylovers is the Youtube queen of lace fronts. Google her.

Here are some youtubes of ladies swimming in lacefronts, but I'm certain they are using glue.

wow I love this look I have always had a wet and wavy sew in done because it is sooo easy but I really wanted my hair to be straight for a change- so I will be looking into this! Thanks for posting!

Edited by boxermom73

Great thread! :) Great tips, curlies! :p

I've been wearing my natural, soft and kinky hair for about 7 years now. For vacations what I usually do is two strand twist it all! It's easy to do and it lasts for the week.

Just to touch them up during the week, I will either conditioner the twists well in the shower (to get all that salt water and sand out), then retwist the areas that need to be touched up OR I use a small spray bottle (if I want to refresh and haven't been swimming) of water and spray the sections/twists that I want to work on and use shea butter to touch up areas.

Works well, isn't time consuming (I guess that's objective tho... only takes me about 20 minutes in the evening before bed to do this most times and when I wake up--awesome hair :D), and I can get many styles out of the twists.

By the end of the week, I'm at a twist out and it looks really good--usually I can pull my hair back with an overstretched headband and bobby pin little rolls with my hair. It turns out to be a beautiful updo. Can even put a small feather pin in there for formal nights! :D

I thought about wigs and weaves and braids and... you name it! But, it's just so much easier, FOR ME, this way. :)

Here's a video tutorial of the updo I'm talking about with natural hair. My favorite YouTuber, Toni Daley always does something new with her hair. I've learned SOOOO many great things from her videos, because before that, I'd have my hair either pulled back into a ponypuff or just twisted.