African American Hair

vrog33

When my hair was permed I would do "ponytails". Had all lengths and styles. Easy to take off and could easily wash my own hair! They were very convienent.

Karen

Yes! I love them. On my last cruise this month I brought one ponytail, and one half-wig. I wore the ponytail during the day, the half-wig at night. I didn't really do any underwater swimming, so when in the water I just rolled the ponytail up into a high bun. Very stylish and cute. Sometimes I would clip the half-wig to the side and let everything cascade down one shoulder. I enjoyed the versatility of having both with me. I think a full wig would have been too hot for a Caribbean cruise.

Yes. Full wigs are too hot. To me any hairstyle that you can't pull back is too hot. Ponytail are perfect. They are also inexpensive so if they get wet and Friday just throw them away! :) I did have a human hair one that lasted forever. That was very nice.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

wow so glad to know I am not the only one fretting about how to wear my hair! I was concerned about all the washing and flat ironing between swims and for formal evenings damaging my hair after working so hard to grow it back out. Ladies I found wet and wavy extensions that will allow for a nice low maintenance Glam look!!! Its called zyrtec Indian remi wet and wavy and I'm getting it in the loose deep curl pattern. Ill be sewing it in and leaving minimal hair out around my edges and to blend up top, it seems pretty easy to wash etc. And there are a few YouTube bids I found helpful. I ordered offline since my local beauty supply didn't carry it

STILL undecided about how to wear my hair for the cruise. Still leaning towards weave with weave hair that looks like a twist set, then have the front of my hair flat twisted down. I will then be able to pull the weave up into ponytail to play in the water.

With the weave I will make sure to not out too much hair and to have my own hair braided in small braids, to make this style a little cooler so I don't faint in the hot sun in July.

The pony tail option also is a great ideal.

I wore my hair in braids with the ends curled and it came out so cute! I love to snorkel and It worked out great I sprayed it with instant conditioner mixed with water before and after swimming and washed and conditioned it when I returned to the ship.I also used palmers olive oil spray on it and it kept them soft and shining, I also used carrot oil and tea tree oil on my scalp and edges took minutes to do all this and was well worth it!:) I will try to add a pix

wow so glad to know I am not the only one fretting about how to wear my hair! I was concerned about all the washing and flat ironing between swims and for formal evenings damaging my hair after working so hard to grow it back out. Ladies I found wet and wavy extensions that will allow for a nice low maintenance Glam look!!! Its called zyrtec Indian remi wet and wavy and I'm getting it in the loose deep curl pattern. Ill be sewing it in and leaving minimal hair out around my edges and to blend up top, it seems pretty easy to wash etc. And there are a few YouTube bids I found helpful. I ordered offline since my local beauty supply didn't carry it

I plan on doing the same! I bought the Bobbi Boss Indi Remi in the Ocean Wave.

For days when I decide to go in the water, I plan on putting it in a fishtail braid...best way to prevent it from getting tangled in the saltwater.

I wore my hair in braids with the ends curled and it came out so cute! I love to snorkel and It worked out great I sprayed it with instant conditioner mixed with water before and after swimming and washed and conditioned it when I returned to the ship.I also used palmers olive oil spray on it and it kept them soft and shining, I also used carrot oil and tea tree oil on my scalp and edges took minutes to do all this and was well worth it!:) I will try to add a pix

Hey boxermom! I love using carrot oil too. How was your cruise?! :)

Hey boxermom! I love using carrot oil too. How was your cruise?! :)
We had so much fun! I loved the ports! We did some great excursions..I am going to do a review as soon as I rest up and get myself together! I am reading yours right now and the Liberty is making me want to sail RC:p

Question, do you ladies use nets to weave, or without? I'm trying to decide myself. Thanks!

For a cruise, id recommend going without a net. You will need to wash your hair occasionally and that would make it more messy/difficult. Braids underneath the sew in going horizontilly usually works best

I'm going on my first cruise in June and have been stressing about what to do with my hair. I keep it relaxed and was thinking there wasn't much I could do besides stay out of the water for the most part and then just work with having to sit in my room doing my hair for an hour or so if I decided to get it wet (not much fun to think about this cutting into my 5 days!). I've also been looking around at swim caps but those don't keep all the water out either and so I've been pretty frustrated.

I've never had a weave before but I'm seriously going to think about a wet & wavy now because it seems so easy and I want to ENJOY my vacation not worry about my hair!

So glad I found this thread! Thanks for the info, ladies. :)

Not sure if this has been asked, so I apologize if it has. My hair is still relaxed, however I decided to go natural a month ago. My hair is past my shoulders. My natural texture has a slight wave because if I comb it with a wide tooth comb after letting it air dry it goes straight.

I use Elucence shampoo and conditioner, Carol's daughter honey butter (I think that's the name), for my scalp, and pure argon oil if I'm putting heat on it.

It's been suggested that I should just wash it and use a leave in conditioner, put it in a bun and keep it moving. I'm fine with this, however my edges are out of control. I feel like I just touched an electric ball sometimes, lol. Outside of headbands is there a product that I can use to keep the edges down?

Not sure if this has been asked, so I apologize if it has. My hair is still relaxed, however I decided to go natural a month ago. My hair is past my shoulders. My natural texture has a slight wave because if I comb it with a wide tooth comb after letting it air dry it goes straight.

I use Elucence shampoo and conditioner, Carol's daughter honey butter (I think that's the name), for my scalp, and pure argon oil if I'm putting heat on it.

It's been suggested that I should just wash it and use a leave in conditioner, put it in a bun and keep it moving. I'm fine with this, however my edges are out of control. I feel like I just touched an electric ball sometimes, lol. Outside of headbands is there a product that I can use to keep the edges down?

My edges are out of control as well.

I recently started using the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Smooth N Hold Pudding.

root-stimulator-organic-smooth-n-hold-olive-oil-pudding-13oz-1-1.jpg

I really like it b/c it's not super sticky or heavy...it smells good, and it gets the job done. And it's only $5.99 so you can't go wrong.

I also use the Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa (I'm not sure if that's what you meant) for my edges but I use that sparingly since it costs so much.

Edited by LEXIpoo

I'm going on my first cruise in June and have been stressing about what to do with my hair. I keep it relaxed and was thinking there wasn't much I could do besides stay out of the water for the most part and then just work with having to sit in my room doing my hair for an hour or so if I decided to get it wet (not much fun to think about this cutting into my 5 days!). I've also been looking around at swim caps but those don't keep all the water out either and so I've been pretty frustrated.

I've never had a weave before but I'm seriously going to think about a wet & wavy now because it seems so easy and I want to ENJOY my vacation not worry about my hair!

So glad I found this thread! Thanks for the info, ladies. :)

Go for it! My hair is relaxed as well and sometimes it needs a break from all of that styling, flat ironing etc. During the times when i wore sew ins religiously my hair was always a nice length and grew much healthier. plus i didnt have to get my ends clipped half as much because they were protected so i was able to retain that length much easier

My edges are out of control as well.

I recently started using the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Smooth N Hold Pudding.

root-stimulator-organic-smooth-n-hold-olive-oil-pudding-13oz-1-1.jpg

I really like it b/c it's not super sticky or heavy...it smells good, and it gets the job done. And it's only $5.99 so you can't go wrong.

I also use the Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa (I'm not sure if that's what you meant) for my edges but I use that sparingly since it costs so much.

That's exactly what I use. I just remember the honey part.

I am having end issues as well. I am 16 months post preggo, and so I have my length, which is shoulder/brastrap length, and then I have 2" strands all over my head that makes me look a bit fuzzy and unkempt.

I used Oyin Handmade products almost exclusively, so I have been going THROUGH the burnt sugar pomade and shine and define. Maybe I will try the smooth and hold pudding.

I am having end issues as well. I am 16 months post preggo, and so I have my length, which is shoulder/brastrap length, and then I have 2" strands all over my head that makes me look a bit fuzzy and unkempt.

I used Oyin Handmade products almost exclusively, so I have been going THROUGH the burnt sugar pomade and shine and define. Maybe I will try the smooth and hold pudding.

What other Oyin products to you use?

What other Oyin products to you use?

I love Honey Hemp conditioner. LOVE. It makes my hair feels like silk. I use the co-poo method, and the honey hemp conditioner is my "conditioner". I use Suave as my "Shampoo".

Hair Dew is what I hoped that Pink Lotion would be when I first tried it. I don't know about anything else, but Pink Lotion just sits on my hair and attracts dirt. (Sometimes the Hair Dew ends up rubbed on my ashy elbows if I can't find my lotion. It sinks right in and doesn't feel oily.)

If I am doing a wash n go, I wash, condition, hair dew, and shine and define. If I am plaiting for an eventual braid-out (which is what I do all winter), I use the burnt sugar pomade.

I don't use the Greg Juice because my hair and glycerin don't get along too well. I am planning on trying the Go Tea and the Honey Water

I LOVE the Milk Shake in my bath...

I also love that ALL their stuff is natural and paraben and SLS Free. And most of it smells like ice cream!

Don't get me started. I can be a walking, talking, Oyin Handmade commercial. (Just to cover bases, I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer. But, if Jamila ever wanted to authorize Oyin Handmade Personal Consultants, I would have the Philly Area SOLD)

Full wigs are too hot.

I guess it depends on the person. I did my cruise in a full wig with bangs and I loved it. It was pretty light weight so not too hot. I had one for port days that I sewed about about 12 wig clips into (the ones that snap shut that are used for clip in extensions). It was very secure, didn't tangle and looked pretty natural. I really didn't need that many clips. I went snorkeling and everything in it. I also had another one for sea days with no clips or anything since I never went in the pool. They cost about $12 each on a site called sam's beauty. Was with DH but still got attention from the fella's (all races) ;).

Edited by nw2this