African American Hair

vrog33

I think it looks great. I'd keep it long personally, but I love long hair. Short (but still long enough for a ponytail) would be lower maintenance, and you could probably wash n go easier.

yeah I love long hair as well I'm just kinda worried about how long it'll take to dry it. I'm probably not gonna cut it b/c I just remembered how much I paid for it :eek: lol

Hey I am considering getting sewn in hair extensions but concerned about water activities. Every google search I do says that you cant swim in the ocean or pool with them because the salt water will destroy them. is this fact or fiction?

Hey I am considering getting sewn in hair extensions but concerned about water activities. Every google search I do says that you cant swim in the ocean or pool with them because the salt water will destroy them. is this fact or fiction?

It all depends on the type of hair you get.

If you get synthetic hair then no. It's not going to return to it's original state. It's going to get matted and tangled...also you won't be able to use heat on it w/o melting it.

If you get human hair then of course you can b/c it's human...so you'll be able to wash it and return it to it's original state like you would do your hair.

It all depends on the type of hair you get.

If you get synthetic hair then no. It's not going to return to it's original state. It's going to get matted and tangled...also you won't be able to use heat on it w/o melting it.

Surprisingly synthetic hair doesn't tangle or mat in water. It actually stays pretty perfect and some synthetic hair is even heat resistant (not that you'd want to spend valuable vacation curling and straightening it).

http://www.samsbeauty.com/#viewStage=MainProduct;page=1

This was my cruise hair and its synthetic. I swam, snorkeled, jet skied and everything in it with minimal tangling.

Edited by nw2this

Good info Lexi. Do you know anything about Halley's Curls?

I love their hair! I actually won a $150 credit. They have random contests on Twitter and I was the first one to answer the question. Their customer service is horrible though.

Surprisingly synthetic hair doesn't tangle or mat in water. It actually stays pretty perfect and some synthetic hair is even heat resistant (not that you'd want to spend valuable vacation curling and straightening it).

http://www.samsbeauty.com/#viewStage=MainProduct;page=1

This was my cruise hair and its synthetic. I swam, snorkeled, jet skied and everything in it with minimal tangling.

It took me to the main page :(

I'm pretty positive what you had was a synthetic and human mix though. Those can be restored after swimming and such & you can use a certain amount of heat on them.

I do hair on campus (getting ready to get my cosmetology license in the fall :D ) and I've experimented with just about any and every hair there is out there.

It took me to the main page :(

I'm pretty positive what you had was a synthetic and human mix though. Those can be restored after swimming and such & you can use a certain amount of heat on them.

I do hair on campus (getting ready to get my cosmetology license in the fall :D ) and I've experimented with just about any and every hair there is out there.

Here is the direct link. It is just a cheapo synthie.

http://www.samsbeauty.com/synthetic-hair-wig-secret-iris-g-HSIRIS.html

Heat resistant synthetic hair is called Futura Fiber. It is purely synthetic and can be curled up to 400 degrees F.

Here is an example of one I've had in the past. They cost a little more than regular synthetic but are alot cheaper than human hair.

http://www.hairsisters.com/en/lace-front-wigs/freetress-equal/freetress-equal-synthetic-lace-front-wig-scarlett-futura/index.php#ProductInfo

Edited by nw2this

I've used Freetress before. It's an integration of synthetic fibers and human hair which is why it costs a little more than "regular" synthetic hair... it does say it's regular synthetic hair but of course regular synthetic hair can't be combined with heat.

& even when I straightened the Freetress hair, it sometimes melted a bit!

So should my weave be synthetic? Or a mix or human. I want the hair that looks like a twist set (untwisted), my own hair in the front (just a little) will be flat twisted to my head.

I will be in the water and plan to pull the weave up into a high pony tail, no plans to submerge my head.

So need weave that will not tangle.

Ideals or suggestions please?

So should my weave be synthetic? Or a mix or human. I want the hair that looks like a twist set (untwisted), my own hair in the front (just a little) will be flat twisted to my head.

I will be in the water and plan to pull the weave up into a high pony tail, no plans to submerge my head.

So need weave that will not tangle.

Ideals or suggestions please?

If you don't really plan on wetting it the completely synthetic ones are fine.

The Freetress brands aren't really expensive though, that's one of the brands that are mixed...they look more believable in my opinion. I paid $10 a pack for mine and got 3 packs.

386363_2430419395989_1116720021_32067368_830435145_n-1.jpg

it actually kinda looks like the one I have in now, but definitely doesn't last as long.

Edited by LEXIpoo

I've been following this post for a while now. Lots of good information here. I will be cruising on May 15th. My hair is natural and I wear a two strand twist. How do I maintain this going snorkling and swimming. Was just wondering if I need to chose an alternate hairstyle!:)

Karen

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

just finished my sew-in for my cruise next weekend.

I'm thinking about cutting it though b/c I didn't realize it would be so long!

weave.png

I like that!! Now I'm wondering if something like this could be an alternative to my natural style. Looking for something that doesn't require much maintenance.....

Karen

Just watched a YouTube on how ro out on a swim cap. You layer with a plastic cap,a stocking cap and then the swim cap. Just ordered one from Amazon! Problem solved....just wear a swimcap!!

I've used Freetress before. It's an integration of synthetic fibers and human hair which is why it costs a little more than "regular" synthetic hair... it does say it's regular synthetic hair but of course regular synthetic hair can't be combined with heat.

I wear the wigs. The tracks might be different, I've never tried synthetic tracks before. When I wore weaves, I was into high end human hair. Although some of that tangled in water too!

But I tried a wig with a human/synthetic blend once, not for swimming just for everyday wear and that sucker really tangled! and they cost even more than the futura fibers! Never again!

It was this one:

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/5Y78270510KP0158.htm

Anyway, just putting the synthetics out there as an alternative to spending $200+ on hair and then $200+ for someone to sew it in. That's alot of drinks, spa treatments, bingo, excursions, etc. . . especially for the ladies who are getting it done just for the cruise.

Edited by nw2this

Anyway, just putting the synthetics out there as an alternative to spending $200+ on hair and then $200+ for someone to sew it in. That's alot of drinks, spa treatments, bingo, excursions, etc. . . especially for the ladies who are getting it done just for the cruise.

Yes, it is! I am natural, but not really good with styling my hair because of humidity gets it and its over. I'm trying to figure what I will do for my next cruise... well for the summer as well. I am so tender headed that braids are out. I prefer wigs for convenience, but the sun is going to bake me.

So for a temporary fix I'm thinking of the weave, but my first experience didn't end well. Or it could have been that combined with anesthesia that cause a lot of shedding.

Thanks for all of the info shared. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I wear the wigs. The tracks might be different, I've never tried synthetic tracks before. When I wore weaves, I was into high end human hair. Although some of that tangled in water too!

But I tried a wig with a human/synthetic blend once, not for swimming just for everyday wear and that sucker really tangled! and they cost even more than the futura fibers! Never again!

It was this one:

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/5Y78270510KP0158.htm

oh okay.

Yeah the tracks and the wigs are a little different...wigs can be preserved better than the tracks, by far.

I'm also a synthetic fan! I wasn't trying to downplay you or anyone. I'm a college student so Freetress gets a lot of my money when I'm not able to invest in ones like what I have in right now!

I like that!! Now I'm wondering if something like this could be an alternative to my natural style. Looking for something that doesn't require much maintenance.....

Karen

thank you.

& yeah I'm sure it can. Since you're natural you're probably going to want to go with a curlier one so you won't have to worry about straightening the part of your hair that's gonna be left out.

I just plan on putting this in a braid and getting in the pool so I won't have to worry about it floating around in the water and getting tangled!

I've spent two hours on YT today trying to get more ideas after the suggestions in this thread. Lotus, the product junkie in me wants to try something from your list, but I'm holding strong. We'll see for how long.:p

Well, the honey hemp conditioner was my gateway drug. If you want to try a little of all the hair products, try the 5 piece snack pack.

thank you.

& yeah I'm sure it can. Since you're natural you're probably going to want to go with a curlier one so you won't have to worry about straightening the part of your hair that's gonna be left out.

I just plan on putting this in a braid and getting in the pool so I won't have to worry about it floating around in the water and getting tangled!

Yes....I was thinking about a tight curl look. Sort of the look I get when I do my twist out. But will it survive the salt water??