"Formal Attire" Definition Needed.... Badly

vang52

I'm not thrilled with 2 formal nights. One would be just fine. That means I have to pack two dresses.
Absolutely not! Many ladies will wear the same thing both nights, although accessorized a little differently for a variation. Or you could bring just a long black skirt and two fancy tops ... which is exactly what you would get if you rented formal wear from HAL's partner, www.cruiselineformal.com.

That might be an option for you for one or both nights. They provide one black crepe skirt and a choice of a gold, black velvet, or gray "glitter" blouse.

What a can of worms.

I'm not thrilled with 2 formal nights. One would be just fine. That means I have to pack two dresses. My husband can use the same suit. Don't know if the DD will insist on two dresses. We are going to Alaska, so maybe the relaxed rules will allow me slacks and a nice sparkly shirt. Other than dinner where else will I wear them?

As old-fashioned and quaint as the dress for dinner events are, I also think they'll change as well. Especially with airlines charging extra fees for luggage weight and another bag, or just charging to check a bag. An outfit adding weight that's only good for a one hour meal twice a week, just isn't going to be cost effective.:mad::cool:

Slacks and a sparkly shirt would be perfect for formal nights. Or you could try the Lido for dinner on one of the formal nights (or wear one outfit twice). We were very surprised how much we enjoyed the Lido for dinner. I personally think that formal nights are on the way out.

Whatever you end up doing, have a fun cruise. :)

It is funny that we still hang onto this notion that "dress up" means a tux, dark suit, or even jacket and tie. Societies rules are funny to saythe least. What has been done doesn't always mean it should be done forever. Now I know I am from California and I will be wearing a tie and jacket but I am on vacation, which means relaxation. I really don't care if anybody thinks I have no class (altough my wife does). If everybody just relaxed and unclinched their behinds they might see that everyone can enjoy dinner. :eek: Gen Xers' and younger groups will change these rules in the near future. I like the photo too, but I wouldn't care one bit if they sat with me as long as they aren't rude. Didn't your mom's tell you not to judge the book by the cover?

Well I hope you are wrong. First, if you dont like "dress up", maybe you shouldn't cruise HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard etc. NCL, RCCL and Carnival are very casual. Second, study after study are proving that dressing appropriately creates a better environment in education, thus more schools are implementing uniforms; and re: jobs- My 17 year old son got a job on the spot because he came to the interview in a dress shirt and tie.

I'm all set with my formal attire for my next Alaska cruise!

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/bob_mackie.jpg

Ohhh...I love it especially the long BOA!

What a can of worms.

I'm not thrilled with 2 formal nights. One would be just fine. That means I have to pack two dresses. My husband can use the same suit. Don't know if the DD will insist on two dresses. We are going to Alaska, so maybe the relaxed rules will allow me slacks and a nice sparkly shirt. Other than dinner where else will I wear them?

As old-fashioned and quaint as the dress for dinner events are, I also think they'll change as well. Especially with airlines charging extra fees for luggage weight and another bag, or just charging to check a bag. An outfit adding weight that's only good for a one hour meal twice a week, just isn't going to be cost effective.:mad::cool:

I did not take two dresses...Only a long skirt & two different dressy tops..DH figured he would wear his suit once or twice while we were on our land tour, but never did..;) Alaska's large cities are much more casual than most other large cities we've been in.. I took an extra bag for our land trip with some dressy clothes & paid for it..Figured that if we spent so much on our trip we could afford to pay the excess baggage on Delta..We only wore half of our clothes on the land & none of the dressy ones..

Ditto. Very well said, Betty.

Thank you twinkletoes..What a shame it would have been if you had not tried HAL just because of posts like that! It makes my blood boil when I see biased remarks!..

Yes Pinboy, My Mom also taught me not to judge a book by it's cover!;)

Cheers...:) Betty

I for one have worn the same basic black outfit even for 4 formal nights, but with different scarfs and other colorful accessories.

My mother did teach me not to judge a book by its cover, BUT, if someone came to the dinning room on a formal night in the outfits in Pipedreams62's wonderful picture, it would give far more information about what was inside the person and their personality than just their "cover".

Formal nights are fun, and carry forward a piece of cruise tradition for me. I wear a suit and tie for the first formal night and a tux for the other, while the DW wears a pant suit on the first and a dress on the 2nd.

For youngsters to include teenagers I think all of us know they outgrow stuff so fast! A sport coat, tie and slacks is what I am used to seeing on HAL for young men, and a party or Easter type dress for young ladies.

I look at formal night as a fun occasion on ship and nothing to be dreaded. If a teenager shows up looking less than dressed to the nines we all understand he/she is a teenager:D

Well I hope you are wrong. First, if you dont like "dress up", maybe you shouldn't cruise HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard etc. NCL, RCCL and Carnival are very casual. Second, study after study are proving that dressing appropriately creates a better environment in education, thus more schools are implementing uniforms; and re: jobs- My 17 year old son got a job on the spot because he came to the interview in a dress shirt and tie.

I think all that Plnrboy was trying to say (which I happen to totally agree with) is that what is considered formal now will not always be. I think sometimes people forget (or try to forget anyway) that things change, and that includes formal wear. That is of course, unless you happened to see the majority of pax of your last cruise dressed in the height of victorian fashion (or choose any other outdated fashion you may like). I most certainly did not. What was appropriate when you were younger is not necessarily so now. What is appropriate now will probably not be down the line. One might think today's fashion is in bad taste, but that doesn't make it so.

taxmantoo,

Have you ever tried to get everyone in a group of 8 on the same page..... at one time? I have a handful to deal with. The second act on the question is if some opt out on being formal at all, what do they miss in consequence? The best meals served in main dining? I don't know what to tell them. Is the Pinnicle formal at all times?

I also understand there is a difference between could and should. I just need a little help here so I can try to keep everyone together and not miss out on "goodies" that we wouldn't know about since all are newbies.

Thanks for the help!!

If it is a group of 8 children, I see the problem, but if it's 8 adults, I don't. Give them all a copy of the HAL description of formal attire as posted here and let them make the decision to follow the acceptable attire or they can dine in the Lido buffet that night or room service. The adults in your group can make their individual decisions as far as attire and where they will dine.

Some of you got what I was saying in my post. I do dress in a jacket and tie BUT I have seen some who do not and that doesn't bother me. WE ARE ON VACATION :D. What was your generation for dress up will change, going to happen. Now there is no excuse for rude but if your not bothering me or others who cares? Why should some miss HAL if they don't want to wear a Black suit and tie or a Tux? Who are we trying to impress? It reminds me of my Parisian history class where the citizens would get "dressed up" and parade themselves up and down the boulevard. Of course they were looking for husbands and wifes then. Is that why we dress up? To Impress? Or just be snobby and say look at those people and their lack of class? I rather relax and enjoy life. Wonder if I can find a pink Tux:rolleyes:

I love this thead! I love to dress up, get dolled up, etc. I usually wear some sort of formal dress. I wore a really slutty red dress on Valentines Day and loved it as I passed the piano bar and the singer sang "Lady in Red". Made my whoe year! My husband, a retired fireman, who thinks anything but shorts is formal wear, wears a suit jacket, slacks and tie. We both get in....no problem. I secretly enjoy seeing the men dressed in tuxes...my DH thinks they are probably henpecked. Whatever...HE is henpecked, as I insist he wear his jacket, slacks and tie.

Just go, dress up as you enjoy, and you will be fine. I do think a jacket and tie are probably minimum though. But, if they see a lady come in a formal and their man in just a jacket...they will let you in. Really, who cares. Just have fun!

Thank you twinkletoes..What a shame it would have been if you had not tried HAL just because of posts like that! It makes my blood boil when I see biased remarks!..

Yes Pinboy, My Mom also taught me not to judge a book by it's cover!;)

Cheers...:) Betty

It would have been ashame had we not tried HAL, but I was a tad intimidated by some of the posters, however, we went on our cruise and we loved it and the next HAL cruise. We're anxious to cruise again in the near future. BTW, you called me out on something I said a long time ago, and I still feel horrible for saying what I said, the way I say it. Although my intent was not to be mean, what I said and the way I said it, was wrong. Anyway, I appreciate all the help and tips you've given me through the years. Maybe one day our paths will cross on a cruise. :)

Happy sailing! :)

Why would you have to pack 2 dresses? I take just one dress that I can use with different accessories to feel I am dressed differently each time. It's not a fashion show and surely no-one notices that you have worn the same outfit more than once? Everyone is in the same boat (so to speak) with the airline restrictions on lugagge etc, so just relax and enjoy your holiday!:)

I love this thead! I love to dress up, get dolled up, etc. I usually wear some sort of formal dress. I wore a really slutty red dress on Valentines Day and loved it as I passed the piano bar and the singer sang "Lady in Red". Made my whoe year! My husband, a retired fireman, who thinks anything but shorts is formal wear, wears a suit jacket, slacks and tie. We both get in....no problem. I secretly enjoy seeing the men dressed in tuxes...my DH thinks they are probably henpecked. Whatever...HE is henpecked, as I insist he wear his jacket, slacks and tie.

Just go, dress up as you enjoy, and you will be fine. I do think a jacket and tie are probably minimum though. But, if they see a lady come in a formal and their man in just a jacket...they will let you in. Really, who cares. Just have fun!

Ding! Ding! Ding!! We have a winner in this contest!!:D

Here's Big Bird in his formal attire:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2257/2285352582_bbbd9ba48c.jpg

...surely no-one notices that you have worn the same outfit more than once?

Of course we do. I love seeing a beautiful, put-together outfit. And I love seeing an encore performance, too. ;)

It would have been ashame had we not tried HAL, but I was a tad intimidated by some of the posters, however, we went on our cruise and we loved it and the next HAL cruise. We're anxious to cruise again in the near future. BTW, you called me out on something I said a long time ago, and I still feel horrible for saying what I said, the way I say it. Although my intent was not to be mean, what I said and the way I said it, was wrong. Anyway, I appreciate all the help and tips you've given me through the years. Maybe one day our paths will cross on a cruise. :)

Happy sailing! :)

Ohhh Twinkletoes...I'm sorry but have no idea what you ever said that may have seemed irksome to me..:):)...I'll never hold a grudge & as you can see I'm not shy to say what I think..Unfortunately I'm not as diplomatic as I should be..If I was mean or undiplomatic to you, I also apologize..Please don't fret over something you said.. Like you I've learned so much on this board & enjoy our discussions..Hopefully we're all friends & no one holds a grudge..

I hope that one day our paths will cross & we can enjoy a drink or a cup of coffee together....In the meantime stay well, be happy & enjoy your cruises..

Cheers..:)Betty

Why would you have to pack 2 dresses? I take just one dress that I can use with different accessories to feel I am dressed differently each time. It's not a fashion show and surely no-one notices that you have worn the same outfit more than once? Everyone is in the same boat (so to speak) with the airline restrictions on lugagge etc, so just relax and enjoy your holiday!:)

That works for me too. The only people who see your dress are the ones at your dining room table, and they're probably wearing the same dress again also.:D

Originally Posted by KathyPet viewpost.gif

I will stand firmly and proclaim that "Formal attire" is a tux.

An awful lot of people disagree with you. Including the cruiselines themselves, based on their description of proper formal attire. If they mention dark suits as being just as appropriate as a tux, then it is just as appropriate. Regardless of how firmly you stand on the subject.

Well, the cruise lines may have given in to the prevailing trend to ignore formal dress codes but the definition of formal wear for men overwhelmingly does not include 'jacket and tie'. Even 'suit' is a bit of a stretch as formal wear. But things change, I realize, so instead of bastardizing the definition of 'formal' it would be more appropriate to drop the word 'formal' from the dress code.

In Jan 2009 we went to Panama on the Zuiderdam, both my brother and I wore tux's. I'm going to Alaska on the Veendam, was informed by the travel agent that Alaska is laid back, that formal attire on a HAL ship in Alaska is a jacket, slacks, and tie. So that's what I will wear.

In Jan 2009 we went to Panama on the Zuiderdam, both my brother and I wore tux's. I'm going to Alaska on the Veendam, was informed by the travel agent that Alaska is laid back, that formal attire on a HAL ship in Alaska is a jacket, slacks, and tie. So that's what I will wear.

A tux will also be appropriate on an Alaska cruise and takes up as much space as jacket, tie and slacks. ;)

One thing I think newbies should remember is that the folks who post here on Cruise Critic are a very small percentage of the number of folks who cruise. So you may have 10-20 hard core loyalists on these boards tell you how things should be done, versus hundreds on the ship who don't even know what Cruise Critic is and may not adhere as strictly to the "rules" as the loyalists would like. "On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo"* -- to me the key word is "usually". I'm bringing a beautiful calf length print skirt and black wrap top, which in my mind is perfectly acceptable. Sorry folks, but a formal gown screams 60+ to me, and I'm not there yet!!! :D

*From the "Know Before You Go" brochure I just received.

I will admit that I was somewhat reluctant to start this thread due to some expected flames being turned up, but I really needed to hear the "pulse" from you seasoned veterns. Thank you very much for your heartfelt comments. I can appreciate both those who wish to retain the time honored traditions as well as those who can live and let live if the code is tweaked..... a little. This cruise is a first for all of our group as I mentioned and we'd really kinda like to keep all of us together if we can. This info will help.

Please understand that there parties who arn't above wearing one of those God-awful tux tee shirts just to thumb their nose at the "establishment". Dang it... some hippies never grow up, LOL. I think all will be fine however. Again, my humble thanks.

OK, folks! First-time cruiser, newbie question of the day - Just what does "formal attire" really mean in regards to formal night on a HAL ship? From reading the threads it is hinted that those folks whose thoughts may lie in a different vein may run a risk of a "faux pas" of major proportions.

Background - 6/21 Alaska cruise on the Westerdam with a party of eight including brother, sister, mom, dad, and all spouses. Ages from 49 - 82. In our group, the definition of male formal runs the entire gambit from a full tux and all the accessories, or a dark suit with shirt and tie, to slacks, jacket, and "dressy" tee shirt [dark egyptian cotton]. The ladies, from evening gown to slacks with a sparkly top and everything in between.

Just trying to get a good feel so it's better understood and hopefully prevent hurt feelings and indignanties all around.

Howdy and welcome to Cruise Critic! You've received lots of opinions here but I don't think any of them really apply to your questions or situaton. On formal nghts many folks "dress up" to attend dinner in the main dining room. Men may get turned away at the door if they aren't wearing a jacket and tie with approproiate pants. Women simply need to be fashionably attired in a cocktail style dress, skirt or pants with a flashy top If a couple shows up where one is over-dressed compared to their "date" then they will still likely be allowed in to sit with the rest of the "well-heeled."

If you're concerned about missing out on the food offered in the main dining room, there's no need to fret about that on HAL. You can order exactly the same things on the dining room menu through room service, even filet and lobster tail. But you need to order this within normal dining room service hours...not at midnight. :D You can also eat dinner at the Lido in casual attire (shorts and tee-shirts are fine) and they serve 99% of what is served in the MDR. And, the Lido is done up really nice in the evenings with table clothes, candels and flowers on the tables. They also offer cocktail and wine service there during dinner. This is something that I really like about HAL...you aren't penalized food-wise if you don't want to get all gussied up for the MDR on formal nights.

On nights that aren't deemed "formal," you will be perfectly acceptable in nice jeans or dockers and stylish tops. I felt completely at ease in my nice capris and stylish top with sandals in the MDR on my last Caribbean cruise. Alaska may be even less formal on these evenings.

If you feel completely out of place, you can always head to the Lido or opt for room service. The dress onboard after dinner on formal nights is a crap shoot. Some will continue to wear their dinner dress, others will change into something more comfortable and others will have never dressed for dinner and have on what they want to wear.

Enjoy your cruise and don't fret about what you or others in your party are wearing. There's a venue for everyone!

Diane

Don't know where this tale/myth came about that Alaska cruises are more casual and people don't dress up? If you're cruising and it's formal night,does it really make a difference if you're off of St.Lucia,Antartica,Rome Or Sitka? It sounds like a poor excuse to not dress.

I'll run it by some friends of mine.

mythbusters-episodes.jpg

Archived