"Formal Attire" Definition Needed.... Badly

vang52

You sound like our kind of people, I do hope our paths cross someday. :)

On our last cruise (Panama Canal) we followed your lead. On the 3 formal nights, twice we dined in our room (lobster tails and all), and once in the Lido. We enjoyed it so much, it may be hard to go back to bringing formal clothing for a few nights.

I'm not saying we'll never "do formal" again, because I'm sure we will. But it's SO nice to have a choice, isn't it??? ;) That time we just didn't feel like it, next time we might.

It would be wonderful to cruise with you ... we sound a lot alike, and I'm sure we'd have a good time! :)

I'm glad it all worked out for you! I was very surprised at how much I loved going casual on the entire cruise (I knew hubby would love it). We awere very surprised at how much we enjoyed the Lido for dinner, and probably would dine in the Lido most every evening on our next cruise. We were going to dine in our cabin on our last cruise, but we never got around to doing this, so we'll have to make sure we try and do this at least once on our next cruise.

It will be hard to "do formal" again, but like you, I am sure we will ... eventually. It is SO nice that HAL gives us these options. We're attending a "black tie" wedding later this summer, so we'll be all dolled up for that ... along with 500 other people!

On OUR cruise to Alaska on the Volendam, just about ALL men wore a suit and tie or sport coat and tie - VERY few tuxes. Ladies wore short or long dresses or dressy pants and tops. Something you would wear to a dressy wedding. On informal nights I wore some nice pants and tops and hubby wore Dockers and polo shirts or a short sleeved casual shirt; one night he even wore nice jeans on informal night and so did a few other guys.

You CAN wear the same formal dress twice, just change your accessories -I did! - no one will care. Our trip was a 13 day cruise/tour, land first - then cruise. We had NO problem packing formal wear. My hubby is a whiz at packing, we EACH had one suitcase and we also had only ONE carry-on to share. :D

What a can of worms.

I'm not thrilled with 2 formal nights. One would be just fine. That means I have to pack two dresses. My husband can use the same suit. Don't know if the DD will insist on two dresses. We are going to Alaska, so maybe the relaxed rules will allow me slacks and a nice sparkly shirt. Other than dinner where else will I wear them?

As old-fashioned and quaint as the dress for dinner events are, I also think they'll change as well. Especially with airlines charging extra fees for luggage weight and another bag, or just charging to check a bag. An outfit adding weight that's only good for a one hour meal twice a week, just isn't going to be cost effective.:mad::cool:

I see nothing wrong with just one suit. It is a toss up whether I will bring a tux or slacks. Difference as I see it is that slacks, jacket & tie can be worn on several nights whereas the tux is more or less limited and I am thinking that whereas I am going to Alaska 6/13/09, and weight limitations, no tux.

Well I hope you are wrong. First, if you dont like "dress up", maybe you shouldn't cruise HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard etc. NCL, RCCL and Carnival are very casual. Second, study after study are proving that dressing appropriately creates a better environment in education, thus more schools are implementing uniforms; and re: jobs- My 17 year old son got a job on the spot because he came to the interview in a dress shirt and tie.

Azamara Cruises (deluxe sister line of Celebrity Cruises) has NO formal nights. Resort attire is requested or the passenger may dress formally if desired. And, by the way, it was wonderful!! When I read these threads discussing formal attire, I thank my lucky stars that I've never encountered this negativity on any cruise that we have had the pleasure of taking. We have chosen our first HAL cruise based on the itinerary and look forward to the journey.

Azamara Cruises (deluxe sister line of Celebrity Cruises) has NO formal nights. Resort attire is requested or the passenger may dress formally if desired. And, by the way, it was wonderful!! When I read these threads discussing formal attire, I thank my lucky stars that I've never encountered this negativity on any cruise that we have had the pleasure of taking. We have chosen our first HAL cruise based on the itinerary and look forward to the journey.

I appreciate your censure. I believe there is a place for traditions. I wasnt being negative. I wouldnt force you to go to my church if you didnt want to abide by our "way" and would suggest other wonderful denominations that meet your needs. Thus, suggesting that there are wonderful alternatives to cruising less formally.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the cruise lines may have given in to the prevailing trend to ignore formal dress codes but the definition of formal wear for men overwhelmingly does not include 'jacket and tie'. Even 'suit' is a bit of a stretch as formal wear. But things change, I realize, so instead of bastardizing the definition of 'formal' it would be more appropriate to drop the word 'formal' from the dress code.

That would be fine with me. How about "formal attire allowed"

It's funny, but I am actually looking forward to dressing up! It must have something to do with the fact that we will be alone together for a whole week for the first time in 4 1/2 years (since DD was born) and I want to flirt! Somehow, getting gussied up brings back memories of when we were young and he would take me to the semi-formals at his fraternity, and just makes me smile.

Now mind you, I don't wear makeup most days, I may wear skirts- but they are always comfortable, and you will never catch me in heels taller than 2 inches (even that is very, very rare!) But somehow, making a special effort, just like we would for a wedding or some other special event, just seems to add a bit of sparkle to the event. :)

I will also say that both of my formal dresses will pack down into no more space than a pair of jeans would take and probably weigh half the weight!

I will admit that I will find it sad if "formal" is redefined to include T-shirts (even nice ones).

By the way- hubby will be wearing a dark suit, but no tie. Instead he will be wearing the formal version of a clergy shirt (French cuffs and all!)

I'm with Loves to Dance. I rarely get a chance to "play dress up", so am really looking forward to being able to dress nicely for formal night. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary, and we still like to look nice for each other.

I'm thinking that perhaps HAL should be a bit more pro-active if they want to continue with the formal nights, and the dress code requested by the line. Increase the communication for booked passengers in regards to dress codes, place a flyer in the staterooms stating the dress code and methods of enforcement along with alternatives for those passengers who don't wish to participate in formal night.

To attempt to dine in the dining room on formal night while intentionally not following the proper dress guidelines diminishes the efforts of the passengers that DO follow the guidelines set forth by HAL.

To blantantly disregard the dress code requested by HAL is akin to thumbing one's nose at the rest of the passengers that do manage to dress formally, and HAL could take some of the blame for not being more proactive in the situation surrounding "formal night". Either enforce it or drop it completely, HAL.

JMHO.

That would be fine with me. How about "formal attire allowed"

That's rather silly. I don't know of any place that sets a limit as to how dressed up you can be, except for nudist resorts. :rolleyes:

Ger 77 noted that the Pinnacle Grill is a nicer restaurant, so her DH always wears a jacket there, even though dress code is the same as for main dining. That seems fair. What about Tamarind and Canaletto? Does dress tend to be more casual there on formal nights?

I have found this thread very entertaining! So many people with so many different views. I personally love to dress up since I do not get the opportunity much to dress up. My hubby likes to wear a tux because I think he looks soooo hot in one! We just dress up for the fun of it and for each other. We just go ahead and order the tux for him from the cruiseline for the two weeks and don't worry about packing anything for formal nights for him except shoes. I on the other hand usually wear sexy cocktail dresses that are very glamous looking (I don't care for long gowns as I seem to trip on hems alot).

It kinda all reminds me of playing dress up as a kid! And if others do not like to dress up that is totally ok with me...I really dont care if others dress up or not. No judgement there. Variety in this world is what makes it interesting.

That said...one cruise we did not even have luggage (stupid airlines) the whole trip and thus no formal wear to wear! We had other passengers lending us formal things...but I still ended up on the dancefloor in barefeet with a barrowed dress, and my hubby wearing his tennis shoes and jeans with a barrowed jacket and tie. So whoop di do! We had a great time and all our dinner companions did too!:D

The last thing I would like to comment on in this thread is the fact that even though the cruise is going to Alaska that should not have a baring on how you dress UP or DOWN. When I read that people usually 'dress down' on an Alaska cruise I wonder what they are thinking...like does that mean that they feel the need to dress down because the Alaskan natives might feel uncomfortable with the high classed people floating in their waters????

We Alaskans can dress up with the best of them....and even though our igloos might melt in the summer and it gets to hot to wear our mukluks and parkas in the summer doesn't mean we would be offended by fancy duds on a fancy ship!:p

Ger 77 noted that the Pinnacle Grill is a nicer restaurant, so her DH always wears a jacket there, even though dress code is the same as for main dining. That seems fair. What about Tamarind and Canaletto? Does dress tend to be more casual there on formal nights?

The dress in the Tamarind is similar to that in the Pinnacle, in that there people also tend to Kick it up a notch. It's a very lovely setting, with impeccable service. Truly, it's fine dining and people dress the part.

Alaska here we come! With the added baggage charges and the reduced weight allowances for checked bags on the airlines I'm seriously rethinking what I pack. I've always been an over packer (gotta cover all bases).

I have a pair of black dress slacks (double layer chiffon) and two lovely tops. I plan on wearing each top twice for a two week cruise. I'll change up the "jewels" to make them a little different each wearing. One pair of dress shoes will suffice for both. My DH has a pair of black slacks and a black jacket, not bought as a suit but looks like a suit. He has a tuxedo white shirt and a bow tie to go with. I also take a second dress shirt and 3 ties to make his "formal wear" changeable as well. One pair of dress shoes. This will be more than adequate for a 14 day cruise and will take up a minimum amount of space. We've gone the tuxedo route but do not personally feel it is necessary. On one cruise, a gentleman at our large table wore a beautiful tuxedo for all formal nights. He was having a problem with his foot and could not wear his dress shoes and could only wear his running shoes. It was delightful. He would put his "best foot forward" in all of our self-shot group photos.

Wear what you are comfortable with. Don't worry about what others may think (they don't really matter after all) and have a wonderful time with your family. There are too many serious problems to worry about in this world without making your cruise wear one of them. ENJOY AND BON VOYAGE. :D:D

I have to admit it's been interesting lurking in the shadows following the ebbs and turns of the thread as the opinions bounce from one court to the other. Bottom line is that I and the rest of the guys in my group will be renting the tuxs and shoes due to the fact that some wish to purchase formal night pictures and everyone "must" [read: is required to] look the part.

Thanks again for all the help.

This has been an interesting if occasionally vehement discussion.

Someone referred to changing the definition of formal. Words including formal do change their meaning over time. When I was a young man formal (for a male) was white tie and tails, tuxedo (or dinner suit as we knew it) was semi-formal.

I read through the thread looking for guidance as to what as the level of dress which I (a conformist at heart) would be comfortable wearing rather than what you could get away with without being humiliated as you were publicly evicted by the maitre d'. The answer seems that males are fine in a dark suit and could get away with less.

I enjoy dressing up and other things being equal I would bring my tuxedo. I wore it on Diamond Princess earlier in the year, but that cruise was sailing from my home town, not half a world away so baggage limits were not an issue. I am reluctant to pack a tuxedo for 2 formal nights on Statendam when I know that it will be one more unused item in the suitcase for a week touring Alaska and a further week in San Francisco on the way home so I'll stick to the dark suit and shirt and tie.

Archived