"Formal Attire" Definition Needed.... Badly

vang52

A tux will also be appropriate on an Alaska cruise and takes up as much space as jacket, tie and slacks. ;)

You are correct, however a jacket, slacks and tie will fill the bill. Maybe I'll take a tux, have not packed yet. I will say that on a HAL cruise, a tux seems to more appropriate.

'Slacks' and 'tee shirt' should never be used in the same sentence as 'formal wear'. :D

On 1 formal night on the Zuiderdam to Panama in Jan 2009 a gent showed up in the dining room wearing slacks and sandles!

You will get dozens of opinions including some from those who fancy themselves as fashion divas or formal night dress monitors. My advice...don't worry about. Just go and enjoy your holiday and have a great vacation.

Ohhh Twinkletoes...I'm sorry but have no idea what you ever said that may have seemed irksome to me..:):)...I'll never hold a grudge & as you can see I'm not shy to say what I think..Unfortunately I'm not as diplomatic as I should be..If I was mean or undiplomatic to you, I also apologize..Please don't fret over something you said.. Like you I've learned so much on this board & enjoy our discussions..Hopefully we're all friends & no one holds a grudge..

I hope that one day our paths will cross & we can enjoy a drink or a cup of coffee together....In the meantime stay well, be happy & enjoy your cruises..

Cheers..:)Betty

It was all my fault ... not yours. Rarely do I open my mouth and insert my foot (at least I try not to do this), but I did that time. lol You were not mean or undiplomatic at all ... you just brought something to my attention that for whatever reason, got past me. :)

I don't hold grudges either, and I have felt bad for what I said, so I just wanted to let you know that I indeed regret what I said. :)

You're a fountain of information and I appreciate all the help you've given me. Happy cruising ... and I really do hope our paths cross on cruise!

I will admit that I was somewhat reluctant to start this thread due to some expected flames being turned up, but I really needed to hear the "pulse" from you seasoned veterns. Thank you very much for your heartfelt comments. I can appreciate both those who wish to retain the time honored traditions as well as those who can live and let live if the code is tweaked..... a little. This cruise is a first for all of our group as I mentioned and we'd really kinda like to keep all of us together if we can. This info will help.

Please understand that there parties who arn't above wearing one of those God-awful tux tee shirts just to thumb their nose at the "establishment". Dang it... some hippies never grow up, LOL. I think all will be fine however. Again, my humble thanks.

Enjoy your cruise. We were in the same boat as you were once, and I wasn't sure what to wear. We ended up taking way more "dressy" clothes than we needed. On our last cruise, we took no formal wear with us and we had a wonderful time. What's important is that you're going to be spending time with your loved ones. :)

One thing I think newbies should remember is that the folks who post here on Cruise Critic are a very small percentage of the number of folks who cruise. So you may have 10-20 hard core loyalists on these boards tell you how things should be done, versus hundreds on the ship who don't even know what Cruise Critic is and may not adhere as strictly to the "rules" as the loyalists would like. "On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo"* -- to me the key word is "usually". I'm bringing a beautiful calf length print skirt and black wrap top, which in my mind is perfectly acceptable. Sorry folks, but a formal gown screams 60+ to me, and I'm not there yet!!! :D

*From the "Know Before You Go" brochure I just received.

You hit the nail on the head! :)

Don't know where this tale/myth came about that Alaska cruises are more casual and people don't dress up? If you're cruising and it's formal night,does it really make a difference if you're off of St.Lucia,Antartica,Rome Or Sitka? It sounds like a poor excuse to not dress.

I'll run it by some friends of mine.

mythbusters-episodes.jpg

Seriously, you have the best pictures for any occaision :D:D:D (Our family love these guys)

On our last cruise we did not do formal at all. We had planned on eating in our cabin on the formal evenings, but instead, we dined in the Lido. We loved the casualness (even on formal nights) of the Lido so much that we only ended up eating in the dining room one evening. The Lido offered more or less the same menu that was offered in the dining room. There were a couple of items on the dining room menu that weren't offered, and one appetizer was offered as a main dish, but we really enjoyed dining in the Lido. I'm not sure if it's changed, but back in February, you'd select your appetizer, salad, rolls, and dessert and they'd take your order for your entrée (there was a gentleman standing behind a podium at the buffet) and it would be brought to your table. There was also a waiter that brought us our iced tea or coffee. ....

You sound like our kind of people, I do hope our paths cross someday. :)

On our last cruise (Panama Canal) we followed your lead. On the 3 formal nights, twice we dined in our room (lobster tails and all), and once in the Lido. We enjoyed it so much, it may be hard to go back to bringing formal clothing for a few nights.

I'm not saying we'll never "do formal" again, because I'm sure we will. But it's SO nice to have a choice, isn't it??? ;) That time we just didn't feel like it, next time we might.

What a can of worms.

I'm not thrilled with 2 formal nights. One would be just fine. That means I have to pack two dresses. My husband can use the same suit. Don't know if the DD will insist on two dresses. We are going to Alaska, so maybe the relaxed rules will allow me slacks and a nice sparkly shirt. Other than dinner where else will I wear them?

As old-fashioned and quaint as the dress for dinner events are, I also think they'll change as well. Especially with airlines charging extra fees for luggage weight and another bag, or just charging to check a bag. An outfit adding weight that's only good for a one hour meal twice a week, just isn't going to be cost effective.:mad::cool:

Actually, I can pack two sets of formal clothes in less space and less weight than it takes to pack jeans/shorts and tops. Silk, polyester, rayon, and jersey take up little space and weight. And you don't even have to take two complete sets of formal wear. As someone previously mentioned, a dressy pair of black pants with two "glam" tops will do just fine. If one doesn't want to dress up, that's fine. Luggage weight, however, is not a good excuse.

... so instead of bastardizing the definition of 'formal' it would be more appropriate to drop the word 'formal' from the dress code.
As many lines have. They just say "Dress Up Night", or something to that effect.

Men may get turned away at the door if they aren't wearing a jacket and tie with approproiate pants. Women simply need to be fashionably attired in a cocktail style dress, skirt or pants with a flashy top If a couple shows up where one is over-dressed compared to their "date" then they will still likely be allowed in to sit with the rest of the "well-heeled."
Does anybody get turned away any more? On a recent cruise on formal night one man had on a football jersey, baseball cap, and cargo pants. His partner had a sleeveless shirt, way-too-tight capris, and flip-flops! At least their entire table appeared to be family, and were also underdressed.
You can order exactly the same things on the dining room menu through room service, even filet and lobster tail. But you need to order this within normal dining room service hours...not at midnight.
You must order within the first 1/2 hour of either fixed seating time.
On 1 formal night on the Zuiderdam to Panama in Jan 2009 a gent showed up in the dining room wearing slacks and sandles!
See my story above.

Does anybody get turned away any more?

It does happen. Certainly it doesn't happen as often as it should, but every once in a while, yes.

On a recent cruise on formal night one man had on a football jersey, baseball cap, and cargo pants.

Mixing football and baseball in the same outfit! :eek: How gauche. The man really didn't have a clue, did he. :rolleyes:

If the "Myth Busters" showed up dressed like their photo on Formal night would they be scoffed at? By some here they would be. As for me I say who cares. :D My wife and I were on a HAL cruise and sitting at a table with 3 other couples, all very seasoned cruisers. My wife and I had about 3 years of marriage and the 3 couples about 110 between them. Nicest people in the world. I came to dinner in a suit :eek: that wasn't black... no one said anything until the end of the night when one of the ladies whispered to my wife that she was "OK" with her "type" of dress but that I should have a dark suit or tux on. We just dismissed the comment but the next formal night we ate in the P-Grill instead. It didn't ruin our trip nor did we ever mention again (until now). I guess my story goes on to say that if you are eating with others than you may want to get a dark suit for formal night because somebody somewhere is watching you. If you are sitting with your own group, then do as you please and have fun on your vacation. In a 100 years who knows what formal will be and who will care?

One thing I think newbies should remember is that the folks who post here on Cruise Critic are a very small percentage of the number of folks who cruise. So you may have 10-20 hard core loyalists on these boards tell you how things should be done, versus hundreds on the ship who don't even know what Cruise Critic is and may not adhere as strictly to the "rules" as the loyalists would like. "On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo"* -- to me the key word is "usually". I'm bringing a beautiful calf length print skirt and black wrap top, which in my mind is perfectly acceptable. Sorry folks, but a formal gown screams 60+ to me, and I'm not there yet!!! :D

*From the "Know Before You Go" brochure I just received.

Agree with you that most people on Cruises have never heard of cruise critic..You even must be careful about wearing a Name tag that says cruise critic on it...I've heard of CC meet & greets, where other passengers heard about them & came to them thinking it was only to voice grievances about the hardcore loyalists on this board are in the minority of most & their cruise..That must have been awful for the Roll call organizer.

Contrary to what others might have said on this board, I was in Alaska last year & most people did not dress formally..I stand by my statement that in Alaska most cruisers dress down..On the Maasdam in Nov. they even seated a couple wearing shorts in the Dining room, which was very surprising to me..On other HAL Ships, we've seen Gentlemen turned away from the Main dining room without a Jacket on Formal night..

However your remark about Gowns screaming 60 is not so..;) Last weekend, while having dinner at one of our upscale restaurants in town, we saw about 50 High School Seniors in beautiful (some very revealing) gowns along with their Boyfriends, who were in Tuxes with different accessories to match the Girls Gowns..They were having dinner on Prom Night..We loved seeing them all dressed up & they all constantly loved being on Parade..I have 3 beautiful Granddaughters who enjoy getting dressed "to Kill" as the youngsters say now..

My DH normally wears a TUX because we enjoy dressing up & rarely get to dress as we used to when working & Socializing in Manhattan..Of course I'm over 60:(, but only feel like I'm 25..LOL

JMO...Betty

We have been on 2 HAL cruises (and will go on our third next month) and on both I would estimate 50-55% of the men wore dark business suit/tie and about 40-45% wore a tux. Yes, there are always a few who don't get the memo and show up in a navy blazer or their nicest clean golf shirt.

I don't mind whatever anyone else wears - it does not take away my enjoyment of the evening as far as I am concerned.

I always rent a tux from Cruiseline Formal, as it is one less thing to pack and haul and it makes me look spiffy (plus, the Mrs. likes to dress up, too).

If the "Myth Busters" showed up dressed like their photo on Formal night would they be scoffed at? By some here they would be. As for me I say who cares. :D My wife and I were on a HAL cruise and sitting at a table with 3 other couples, all very seasoned cruisers. My wife and I had about 3 years of marriage and the 3 couples about 110 between them. Nicest people in the world. I came to dinner in a suit :eek: that wasn't black... no one said anything until the end of the night when one of the ladies whispered to my wife that she was "OK" with her "type" of dress but that I should have a dark suit or tux on. We just dismissed the comment but the next formal night we ate in the P-Grill instead. It didn't ruin our trip nor did we ever mention again (until now). I guess my story goes on to say that if you are eating with others than you may want to get a dark suit for formal night because somebody somewhere is watching you. If you are sitting with your own group, then do as you please and have fun on your vacation. In a 100 years who knows what formal will be and who will care?

The woman making such a comment was way out of line, IMHO. Even if someone has not dressed to the code to your liking, saying something to them about it is just plain tacky. Complain to the dining room manager if you wish. :rolleyes:

See to me , a woman like the one who said that to your wife, should be turned away from the dining room. She is way more offensive than any outfit I can imagine.

Wow. I can't imagine someone telling someone that their suit wasn't dark enough.:confused: That's really weird. I really love to dress up so formal night is a blast for me but I'd think someone had a big L on their forehead for saying something like that.

Has anyone ever been refused seating on formal night because their attire did not fit ship guidelines? Personnally I could care less what you're wearing to dinner. I came to eat not compete. My last cruise was on Celebrity who each day put in the daily schedule a statement saying no one should be using the Lido tables for card playing during lunch hours. Yet each day while people wandered about with full trays looking for a place to sit, card games were being conducted while employees turned a blind eye. Casually dressed folk on formal night is not at all as offensive as rude people (I call them special people since rules don't apply to them).

Just to be fair the lady who made that comment was very pleasent the rest of the cruise but hence my comment about the different generations. She thought she was helping by making a comment and I believe traditions will change. When I am at that point in life and someone is wearing shorts on "formal" night I hope that I can just look past that and enjoy their company (if not rude) instead of what is on the outside. It may just be me and my attitude of live and let live but that is what I do. With that said I believe most here think that if someone shows up in a football shirt with a baseball hat that they must be rude. I would suggest they wait and see if a person is rude and enjoy them as a person if not. Besides I think I have seen lots of rude people who were dressed to the "nines" as someone put earlier. :p Has anyone seen the movie "Dumb and Dumber"? What would you do if someone showed in a baby blue tux? That I would pay to watch.

I was thrilled to find long dresses called "maxi" are now back in style. (think 70's if you're old enough) They are made of material that won't wrinkle, are washable, and have a nice way of hanging past any bumps. Check out the junior section of the store. They come in all sizes. Today I found a pair of pallatzo black pants that are also washable. Add a dressy top and I'm all set.

Just to be fair the lady who made that comment was very pleasent the rest of the cruise but hence my comment about the different generations. She thought she was helping by making a comment and I believe traditions will change. When I am at that point in life and someone is wearing shorts on "formal" night I hope that I can just look past that and enjoy their company (if not rude) instead of what is on the outside. It may just be me and my attitude of live and let live but that is what I do. With that said I believe most here think that if someone shows up in a football shirt with a baseball hat that they must be rude. I would suggest they wait and see if a person is rude and enjoy them as a person if not. Besides I think I have seen lots of rude people who were dressed to the "nines" as someone put earlier. :p Has anyone seen the movie "Dumb and Dumber"? What would you do if someone showed in a baby blue tux? That I would pay to watch.

Very nicely said.

I am the same way as you , live and let live and don't make an issue where there isn't an issue. I just can't get myself riled up about stuff like this.

I work with people that can make a soap opera out of the stupidest things. :(

As long as the person is pleasent and nice company ...who cares.

BTW I actually wore a baby blue tux to a prom in 1980 :)

See who the hell am I to throw stones *LOL*

Archived