Having trouble picking Oct Caribbean ship?

sdfamily

I'm sure I'm over analyzing the choices:D, but maybe someone has an opinion that will help...

We are planning a cruise in mid-October to the Caribbean. I know, it's hurricane season, but we have a school break then and plan to do Disneyworld after the cruise. We are a family of 5 with boys 11, 8, and 3. We've only done one other cruise, the Coral Princess in Alaska. While we enjoyed Princess (hated the coffee:D), I'm certain there are better ships more suited to our family.

We had a balcony, so I'm pretty sure, I'll need one again. Also, as we have a 3YO, I really want 'connecting' rooms so that he is not going back and forth among the rooms via the balcony. FYI-connecting balcony rooms are very limited on some ships.

Here's my choices and the pros and cons of each:

Carnival Freedom - 6 night, Key West, Grand Cayman, Jamaica. The Grand Cayman port has over 10K people that day. Yikes! The only connecting balconies available are way in the front of the ship. This is the cheapest cost.

NCL Pearl - Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola, GSC. I really like these ports better than the other options. I like the idea of freestyle dining and like all of the specialty restaurants. It's only about 5% more than the Carnival Freedom (granted we'll spend some more at the specialty restaurants). We have have two connecting mini-suites on the very back of the ship. That sounds like awesome accommodations! They will also take non potty trained kids, so on the off chance that little 3YO is not trained by then....he turns 3 four days before the cruise...

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. This itinerary also has the same problem with over 10K in Grand Cayman. Also, not wild about Jamaica and Cozumel. Although this ship looks AWESOME and has tons to do for the boys, it's 20% more than Carnival. Our cabins would be connecting E1 balconies just forward of the hump. Would that block our views to the left of us?

As you can see, I've way over analyzed the choices. Also, with it being hurricane season, should I really take into account the ports as they might change? Oh, and my cost comparisons are based on $$ per person per day (neurotic, I know).

I think I'm leaning toward the Pearl based on cabin selection and restaurant choices. When we got of the Coral Princess in Vancouver we were running towards the chinese restaurants. The menu selections were way to meat and potatoey for us.:eek:

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm not sure you'll really like NCl after Princess.....most are happy with NCL if it's their 1st cruise..... but, if you like their menus and the rooms sound great...go for it!

You know, you don't HAVE to leave the ship in every port! Sometimes, staying on the ship while everyone else is gone is a great way to use that ship and get your "money's worth"!

I wouldn't count on port changes, as ALL off the ships will be switching, should a hurricane bear down on you!

I would not get too hung up with the amount of people in grand cayman. They are used to having the influx of people each day to the island. I was very disappointed that we did not get the chance to visit this island. We as a family are dying to do the stingray city experience.

From all posts read here, I would say RCL or Carnival are going to be your better boats for families.

I would look at RCI as they have a strong childrens program. I am not sure if this is a possibility but you may also want to take a look at Celebrity.

I would not worry too much about the islands with respect to the Hurricanes. Yes, it is hurricane season but none of the Islands is imune to that.

Keith

RCCL Liberty - just no comparison. ;)

And on RCCL, choose the My Time Dining option or the My Time FAMILY Dining option. If he is potty trained and ready for Adventure Ocean, then the AO counselors can pick him up in the dining room after a 45 minute dinner and you can continue on with your dinner. :D

Another vote for the Liberty. We just got off the Freedom of the Seas with our almost 3 year old. He was not old enough for the kids program yet but it looked great. Plus they have the H2O zone for kids which our son really liked. Everyone was so friendly to our son and we had a great experience on this ship. In regards to the ports, we also did the Western C. without Cozumel and it was ok. Not a big fan of Labadee (lots of construction going on there right now, but hopefully they will be done by October) but it is fun for the kids. We stayed on the ship in Jamaica since our son was still so young and Cayman was nice, we did the semi-submarine / glassbottom/ snorkel tour.

Actually, this is the release from RCCL directly for Fall 2009 sailings on Liberty and Freedom for bookings starting on May 18th.

Freedom of the Seas®

7-Night Eastern/Western Caribbean

Departing from Port Canaveral, Florida

September 13, 20, 27; October 18;

November 8, 15, 29 & December 13, 2009

Liberty of the Seas®

7-Night Eastern/Western Caribbean

Departing from Miami, Florida

September 12, 19, 26; October 10;

November 1, 15, 29 & December 13, 2009

From our innovative sports desk to spectacular stage shows to popular programs for kids and teens, we offer an unique array of exciting activities that bring the family together. It’s an

incredible onboard experience. Plus, now you and your family can experience all this and more starting at only

$1,799* for a family of four!

Inside stateroom pricing starting at

$1,799* for a family of four!

*Pricing is available beginning May 18, 2009. Subject to availability. Price is based on quad occupancy in category L - cruise only and in U.S. dollars. Mention price code “FAM” when making reservation. Pricing is applicable for Liberty of the Seas® & Freedom of the Seas® on sailings dates listed. Offer is based on availability and may be withdrawn

at anytime without prior notice. All itineraries and prices are subject to change without notice. Certain restrictions may apply. Government taxes and fees are additional.

Of course the one I'm interested in is the Liberty Oct 17th sailing. I wonder why it's not listed?

Taking the Freedom on the 18th would mean 1 less day at Disneyworld.

Thanks for the info about My Time Family dining. I can't believe in my 'extensive research' I missed that important detail. That sounds great! Having somebody whisk away a 3YO 'active' toddler, would make my night!

My Time FAMILY dining is brand new to the ships. So don't be too hard on yourself that you missed it. ;):D

I would rather sail out of PC on Freedom, than out of Miami on Liberty if you are doing Disney World. One is a 45 minute trip. And the other is a 3 hour drive. I would opt for PC if the price isn't that much different.

While Carnival Freedom may be cheaper you are getting one less day on the ship, which would be disappointing for me.

And it is fine to choose a cruise based on ports, as long as you are prepared for the possibility of an itinerary change, especially during hurricane season.

In many cases the most disappointed people are the ones that you see saying "I'm not that fond of the ship but it has a fantastic itinerary so that's why I chose this cruise." Remember that even if you make every port, you are still going to be spending a majority of your time on the ship so make sure you will be happy on the ship.

wrp96 - i did base my prices based on per person per day costs. So, the fact that the cruise is 1 less day does not factor into the comparison cost factor.

I agree somewhat about being ambivalent about the ports, but in the case of Alaska cruises you MUST choose your cruise based on the ports. Not all ports are created equal...In Alaska, it's not about the cruise, but about the ports.

This is what I'm struggling with in planning a Caribbean cruise. This cruise should be more about relaxing in the sun and less about seeing the Governor's mansion.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you know how many people will be in the ports each day? We are looking at those same dates, even one of the same cruises for our family of five (three boys, ages 2, 4, and 7). I'd love to know how many people the ports have on a daily average, versus their peak days, etc. Just have no idea where to find it! Interesting the choices you have come up with for cruises - we want something similar but came up with three different sailings than you.

• 3 months later...

Hey Kat2569,

Do kids have to be potty trained to use the H2O zone on Liberty of Seas?

My son will be a little short of 3 yrs when we take a cruise in Nov ; but he's not potty trained yet.

He will love to splash around and I hope they dont have restrictions on that :(

Another vote for the Liberty. We just got off the Freedom of the Seas with our almost 3 year old. He was not old enough for the kids program yet but it looked great. Plus they have the H2O zone for kids which our son really liked. Everyone was so friendly to our son and we had a great experience on this ship. In regards to the ports, we also did the Western C. without Cozumel and it was ok. Not a big fan of Labadee (lots of construction going on there right now, but hopefully they will be done by October) but it is fun for the kids. We stayed on the ship in Jamaica since our son was still so young and Cayman was nice, we did the semi-submarine / glassbottom/ snorkel tour.

Archived